• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung UE49KS7000 ( UK ) Review : Affordable HDR Hero

I have the next one up from this, and I can't for the life of me figure out how to stop the channel changing whenever I turn a console on. Makes remote play a frustration for everyone.

PaRappa

Im still mulling over Back Friday 4k HDR.... Or holdout until the new year. Plus Sterling is crashing so that's something elseto take into account

AzerPhire

Ordered the 65" version of this TV for $1379 on Friday. Can't wait for it to come in so I can try Gears 4 and Forza plus all the UHD Blu Rays.

PaRappa

I remember seeing a thread about an actually affordable HDR set from Sony... this does seem a bit pricey.

I believe this represents the true cost of entry for a true 4K HDR set.

This reminds me of 720p/1080i 'HD' stop gaps when 1080p properly took over.

sueil

I got this US model ks8000 on saturday and it blows me away. The extra resolution is nice but the hdr is my favorite thing. The brightness and the better colors really impress.

Astrates

I am thinking of picking up a KS7000 or KS8000 (UK model), trying to determine if there's any point paying more for KS8000 or not.

Rbk_3

Yep, I have the 55" Curved model in the US (KS8500) and it's fantastic.

Its one downside is that it's an edge-lit TV so there's a little bit of light bleed in darker scenes, but the trade-off is well worth it for a sub-$1,500 tv with 20ms gaming lag, HDR, and the great motion handling of the set (compared to its price range).

Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 look fantastic on it with HDR enabled and now I can't wait for the PS4 pro to drop so we can start getting some checkerboard-rendered 4K games with HDR!

Reasoning for that is because the lag measurement tool measures the time from when it sends a signal to when a certain level of brightness appears on screen. HDR mode reaches that brightness level slightly quicker.

I had the same problem on the 8500, light bleed was a disaster. Went to the 8000 and it's perfect. No bleed at all. If you're in your return window I'd consider switching if the bleed bothers you.

so i understand this the KS8000 in NA. What's the difference between this and the KS9000 here in NA? Would it be the same performance just with minor differences?

Toki767

so i understand this the KS8000 in NA. What's the difference between this and the KS9000 here in NA? Would it be the same performance just with minor differences?

Slightly better picture quality, but not worth the price increase relative to the performance increase.

KS9000 can get a tiny bit brighter and has slightly less motion blur. The overwhelming consensus is that there's no reason to get the 9000 with such a large price difference.

Trying to help my dad pick out a new TV for Black Friday and I'm split between this (KS8000), the Vizio P65, or the Sony X850D. I'm leaning towards the Samsung but he seems to want to go with the Sony based on user reviews. What would you guys recommend?

Daffy Duck

Affordable

Typical price: £1099

2Qj9Tcx.gif

Hahahahaha. I know those feels.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

The KS9000 has slightly higher peak brightness and I think the speakers are better. It's up to you if you want to pay a premium over the 8000 for that.

MazeHaze

Banned
Trying to help my dad pick out a new TV for Black Friday and I'm split between this (KS8000), the Vizio P65, or the Sony X850D. I'm leaning towards the Samsung but he seems to want to go with the Sony based on user reviews. What would you guys recommend?

DO NOT GET THE SONY. I owned that TV for 2 weeks and returned it for the KS8000. The tv can not display black, it gets dark gray at BEST. Terrible set.

-griffy-

Banned
I had the same problem on the 8500, light bleed was a disaster. Went to the 8000 and it's perfect. No bleed at all. If you're in your return window I'd consider switching if the bleed bothers you.

I've seen a few people share similar experiences but also have read some horror stories of people with crazy light bleed on both models. For me, the panel I have is more than okay and the light bleed is only noticeable when you have white text on a dark screen, which I can easily live with. No issues during full screen content and it's primarily a gaming TV, so I'll make do for now.

I also picked up an extended warranty on mine so if the issue gets worse down the road, I'll still have some recourse.

morpix

I've got a 55". Exact model.
If you have one, update the firmware via USB! OTA updates doesn't work right out of the box. Double-check your firmware via the Samsung support site.

Older firmwares don't support HDR in Game Mode, so get that updated.

Rbk_3

I've seen a few people share similar experiences but also have read some horror stories of people with crazy light bleed on both models. For me, the panel I have is more than okay and the light bleed is only noticeable when you have white text on a dark screen, which I can easily live with. No issues during full screen content and it's primarily a gaming TV, so I'll make do for now.

I also picked up an extended warranty on mine so if the issue gets worse down the road, I'll still have some recourse.

My 8000 is a AA02 panel which is said to have better black uniformity also. If it doesn't bother you that's good. Also consider the Luminoodle bias light from Amazon for $20. It really helps the blacks if you watch in a dark rooom and will help hide the bleed also.

Basically, yes. RTINGS has these two models reviewed very closely:

KS9000 (UK Model # KS7000)

KS8000 (UK Model # KS8000)

From the KS9000 review:

The Samsung KS8000 is a better buy. It is almost as good as the KS9000 on all aspect, it just doesn't get as bright. The price difference is not worth it, so buy the cheaper KS8000.

EDIT

Also remember, 7000 Series EU = 8000 Series US. It's the "middle" model for EU/Aus/NZ.

That's correct...just noted that next to the links. Thanks!

Double post...sorry :(

My 8000 is a AA02 panel which is said to have better black uniformity also. If it doesn't bother you that's good. Also consider the Luminoodle bias light from Amazon for $20. It really helps the blacks if you watch in a dark rooom and will help hide the bleed also.

I've been thinking about adding some bias lighting. Thanks for the suggestion on that model!

I've got some Phillips Hue lights in the house as well, so I'm also considering getting one of their LED strips since I could change the color...

Seems unnecessary though...

::Amazon searches Phillips Hue LED Strip::

MazeHaze

Banned
I don't trust those lag numbers in HDR mode.

feels right to me. Been playing on PC in HDR mode with a mouse and the latency feels the same as non hdr.

Also lol at people saying this is only affordable to millionaires. I work part time at Dominos and I bought this TV.

Evo X

Deciding between this and the LG C6.

I am aware of the price difference, but they both seem to have pros and cons.

LG has better black levels, but this has lower input lag and higher brightness for HDR.

What would you choose GAF?

Slightly better picture quality, but not worth the price increase relative to the performance increase.

KS9000 can get a tiny bit brighter and has slightly less motion blur. The overwhelming consensus is that there's no reason to get the 9000 with such a large price difference.

The KS9000 has slightly higher peak brightness and I think the speakers are better. It's up to you if you want to pay a premium over the 8000 for that.

do you guys know if either model can swivel or not? From pictures it looks like the stand only allows the tv to face forward at all times so you can't angle it to your liking

I don't trust those lag numbers in HDR mode.

I have this model and can confirm input lag is minimal with HDR on. Been playing Forza Horizon 3 and Gears 4 with HDR enabled and I'm having no issues with noticeable lag, even coming from a panel with 17ms lag prior to this TV.

Rbk_3

Double post...sorry :(

I've been thinking about adding some bias lighting. Thanks for the suggestion on that model!

I've got some Phillips Hue lights in the house as well, so I'm also considering getting one of their LED strips since I could change the color...

Seems unnecessary though...

::Amazon searches Phillips Hue LED Strip::

Really you don't want anything other than 65k lights, especially if you have a properly calibrated picture. If you use normal or cool it doesn't really matter in that case.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Deciding between this and the LG C6.

I am aware of the price difference, but they both seem to have pros and cons.

LG has better black levels, but this has lower input lag and higher brightness for HDR.

What would you choose GAF?

Lower input lag all day long, also brighter the better for HDR, KS7000 is my next TV when it drops a little more.

Really you don't want anything other than 65k lights, especially if you have a properly calibrated picture. If you use normal or cool it doesn't really matter in that case.

I'm using RTINGS' settings but didn't delve into the white balance or anything like they did. Temperature is set to Warm1 on my set, so the bias lighting may help.

I would also think the bias lighting would help offset the crazy brightness when displaying HDR content in a dark room, right?

Hesemonni

Banned
I'm about to buy a 65" ks7005 (5 for Nordic regions) for a 1500€. I have a perfectly good 46" Sony but the TV is 2300€ normally. And I don't even have Xbox One S..

Stupid question, how do you "enable" HDR for example, in Gears of War 4 (both XB or PC)?

You'll need to enable HDMI UMD Color in the picture settings for the relevant HDMI ports. Once that's set up, HDR content will play automatically. You should get a notification at the top of the TV that says "An HDR Video is Playing" whenever HDR content comes up.

Mindman

Just a heads up with the KS8000. The motion blur is pretty bad on that TV, especially with 30 fps games, at least according to many people over in the owners thread over at AVS forum. I'd like to hear what GAF owners think of that.

Top Bottom