• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung UE49KS7000 ( UK ) Review : Affordable HDR Hero

Really wish I hadn't upgraded to a 60in last year. Can't go lower than that and can't afford the 65in. Looks to be a stellar tv though.

Just a heads up with the KS8000. The motion blur is pretty bad on that TV, especially with 30 fps games, at least according to many people over in the owners thread over at AVS forum. I'd like to hear what GAF owners think of that.

I had noticed a bit of motion blur, but nothing crazy in my opinion. Also, the latest firmware update (1142.1, last week) has apparently helped reduce the issue, although I haven't been able to test it much since my TV updated.

MazeHaze

Banned
Just a heads up with the KS8000. The motion blur is pretty bad on that TV, especially with 30 fps games, at least according to many people over in the owners thread over at AVS forum. I'd like to hear what GAF owners think of that.

absolutely no problems here over the past few months. Playing Alien Isolation on it on ps4 at 30 fps right now, also played a lot of The Division and other games on it. No issues. I play PC on it as well and have had zero issues there either.

Are you guys being sarcastic with the "affordable" posts?

This isn't a stealth brag at all but honestly unless you're up to your eyeballs in debt or have financial issues, I think most average middle income persons or families would consider a good sized 4KTV with almost all high end features for ~$1000 to be affordable.

This isn't a stealth brag at all but honestly unless you're up to your eyeballs in debt or have financial issues, I think most average middle income persons or families would consider a good sized 4KTV with almost all high end features for ~$1000 to be affordable.

people getting spoiled by some of these low budget 4k sets that are out there, most of which can be had for around 500 or so

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
AVS is the only place that I've seen it brought up. There are some ridiculous people on that forum who will never be happy. But really, most of the posts about motion blur are from the same few people and they're relatively recent.

I got one for my girlfriend and it's a fantastic TV, but yeah, as others say, I'm not sure if I'd call it affordable for a lot of people. It is probably one of the more expensive TVs you can get before making the jump up to OLED.

That said, the KS9000/9500 are already out. I'm not sure when those are getting replaced, but hopefully that leads to lower prices for the 8000/8500 series in the short term. My guess is it won't get too low though, cause they'll likely just shift the 9000 into the 8000's price range when the new models come out and cut off production of the 8000s. Your better bet is to wait for the tech to filter down to the lower models like the KU and JS series, which are pretty solid in their own right.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?

I think it's worth the money to be able to have those features 'right now', but that doesn't make it affordable, I just don't want to pay £1099 for a TV, it's that simple, to put it another way, it's not affordable for the budget that I have limited myself to, so I'll wait.

D23

My cat jsut fucking scratched my ks8000. I am fuming
jpL36fz.jpg

Does the warranty even cover that? You can see deadpixel when I turn it on

Other than that. This has been the best tv I have ever owned

That said, the KS9000/9500 are already out. I'm not sure when those are getting replaced, but hopefully that leads to lower prices for the 8000/8500 series in the short term. My guess is it won't get too low though, cause they'll likely just shift the 9000 into the 8000's price range when the new models come out and cut off production of the 8000s. Your better bet is to wait for the tech to filter down to the lower models like the KU and JS series, which are pretty solid in their own right.

6/7/8/9000 is market positioning of Samsung TVs

S is quantum dot, U is just UHD

First letter is a year H is 2014, J was 2015, K is 2016.

All K models will be phased out next year by new ones.

morpix

My cat jsut fucking scratched my ks8000. I am fuming

Does the warranty even cover that? You can see deadpixel when I turn it on

Other than that. This has been the best tv I have ever owned

What the fuck, does your cat have adamantium claws?!

murgo

My dad recently got the UE65KS7090. I'm extremely jealous.. can't wait to go over when PS4Pro arrives. I hope there will be good deals on black friday, I need this TV in my veins.

morpix

To be fair, I got mine on an interest free deal. Paid them $500 and sorted the rest over 6 months, zero interest. It was paid pretty quick, but yeah, YMMV

I understand where everyone's coming from with the affordable comments but in this context, it isn't "affordable tv" = "budget tv."

In the context of their site, they've reviewed HDR sets that range in price from £1,099 all the way up to £8,999. This is literally the cheapest HDR set they've reviewed and they're calling it an "Affordable HDR" set. They've also given it their recommendation and called it a "best value" set.

It's pretty clear that the message isn't "Hey, this HDR TV is what everyone should buy now and there's no reason why anyone shouldn't be able to afford it!" More like, "If you're in the market for an HDR set and don't want to drop five grand on an OLED, this is the best, most affordable option."

Kyne

I'm a single male who is 26 with no credit card debt and no college degree. I started my "career" at a call center and then moved to retail. I am doing something else now, but it's nothing fancy.

I was able to get the $1,300 version of this tv (55") without issues. Just takes some saving. Seems like a good investment.

Jakabok

Want. Does this TV come in anything smaller than 49"? I believe the US has a 43" but can't see anything on Samsung's UK site?

FALD or GTFO.

Seriously Samsung giving up FALD for curved televisions and edge lighting was such a stupid decision.

Looks to be a good TV but has a few deal breaker for me at the price. Maybe a sale TV down the line when it's up on Adorama or Buydig Ebay.

Back to waiting for Vizio 2017.

daveo42

Banned
This looks like the TV I'll get come the end of November. Tbh, this is actually cheaper than the last TV I bought back in 2008. $1600 for a 48" 1080p Sony. Spending just a bit more to go up 17" and quadrupling the pixels sounds fine for me.

Madness

I dunno. Is this maybe new model? Or little enhanced model? Review is 1 day old unlike on rtings.com where is review from Apr 22nd.

This is the Europe only model. Pretty much equivalent to US KS8000...

Want. Does this TV come in anything smaller than 49"? I believe the US has a 43" but can't see anything on Samsung's UK site?

Nope. Smaller sizes by Samsung are subpar. If you need smaller get the Sony X800D which while not as good as this, blows the LG and Samsung under 49" versions away.

Rbk_3

I'm using RTINGS' settings but didn't delve into the white balance or anything like they did. Temperature is set to Warm1 on my set, so the bias lighting may help.

I would also think the bias lighting would help offset the crazy brightness when displaying HDR content in a dark room, right?

That is correct. That was one of the main reasons I bought them.

AVS is the only place that I've seen it brought up. There are some ridiculous people on that forum who will never be happy. But really, most of the posts about motion blur are from the same few people and they're relatively recent.

This There is nothing wrong with the motion on this TV and I am coming from a VT25 Plasma.

Really sorry for the bump but is this TV still recommended or is there a better one I can get for the price? Getting an Xbox One X this year so would love to be prepared as best as possible for it without breaking the bank.

Top Bottom