• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown II; a "perfect sequel"...and other games that did everything BETTER on the second go around

VGEsoterica

The original Samurai Shodown game is absolutely amazing and legendary in its own right, not just because it has everything a fighting game fan would crave...but also because it wholly pivoted SNK into the weapons based 2D fighting genre. It's just all around a DAMN GOOD game.

But Samurai Shodown II? It just takes everything that was GREAT about the original game, improves a few spots, adds in more well thought out mechanics, expands the roster with characters that would become iconic to the franchise...and just gives players a bigger, better game all around. Really is a master class in how to make EVERYTHING better when you slap the number 2 after the title

But GAF...what is your fav Sam Sho? and what games sequel made everything just that much better? Doom 2 style

SkylineRKR

SamSho 2 is the best 2D fighting game ever made. I have it on AES cart. I sometimes hook it up. But I am looking for an old CRT to make it perfect.

The AI though, it could be toned down. But it was par for the course. Did beat the game a few times.

VGEsoterica

SamSho 2 is the best 2D fighting game ever made. I have it on AES cart. I sometimes hook it up. But I am looking for an old CRT to make it perfect.

The AI though, it could be toned down. But it was par for the course. Did beat the game a few times.

Try Craigslist or FB marketplace. You can get decent consumer CRT TVs for cheap / free still

ssringo

Resident Evil 2.

Better graphics, better voice work, better soundtrack, more differences between playable characters, more unlockables.

Admittedly the terrible voice work of RE1 is legendary in its own right.

Zuo

Battle Network 2, Goemon 2 both on SNES and N64 if that counts, Melee, Pocky & Rocky, Kawa no Nushi Tsuri, DKC2 and actually countless more

SkylineRKR

SC2 is a great answer. I was happy it was still on my Ps3 account when I scored one for cheap. It could've been a better port, but its playable on a relatively modern console. I hope Namco wisens up and does more with their portfolio. They can easily rerelease SC1, 2 and 3 AE. And RR.

Try Craigslist or FB marketplace. You can get decent consumer CRT TVs for cheap / free still

Yeah my parents have one in the attic, but its only 15 inch or so. Its just that I forget looking for one when time passes. But I should do it.

Fuz

Banned
My favourite SamSho in the series by far, mostly due to how beautiful and evocative the backgrounds are (also best cast of the series) and that temple in the mists you showed is my very favourite one. Only Last Blade came close.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
SF was such a not great game
bbc no GIF

Teslerum

The original Samurai Shodown game is absolutely amazing and legendary in its own right, not just because it has everything a fighting game fan would crave...but also because it wholly pivoted SNK into the weapons based 2D fighting genre. It's just all around a DAMN GOOD game.

But Samurai Shodown II? It just takes everything that was GREAT about the original game, improves a few spots, adds in more well thought out mechanics, expands the roster with characters that would become iconic to the franchise...and just gives players a bigger, better game all around. Really is a master class in how to make EVERYTHING better when you slap the number 2 after the title

But GAF...what is your fav Sam Sho? and what games sequel made everything just that much better? Doom 2 style

So, if I get that correctly you're looking for sequels that improved on what already was in the original rather than sequels that were *just* better?

So, for example Street Fighter wouldn't count considering SFII might as well be a different game?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
an example of how to make a sequel to an amazing game NOT GOOD
Exactly, All the good things that Yoshi island had on the SNES, It was like a slap in the face when this spawn of Yoshi Story came out... Short game, Horrible and childish OST, Too simple, Few Levels, Graphics that were good but not excellent, little variety of Bosses... a terrible game.

Soul Calibur II It was the best 3D game fighting... And that had the Xbox version... I wanted the Gamecube version because the special guest was Link.

Ev1L AuRoN

It's funny, I can think of the top of my head of a dozen better sequences showing number II

Street Fighter II
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 2
Soul Calibur 2
Mortal Kombar II
Mega man 2
Quake 2
Half Life 2
Donkey Kong Country 2
Uncharted 2

And I do love Samsho 2, but that is such an exaggeration, But hey, that's your opinion and this is mine. Let's agree to disagree…

S0ULZB0URNE

It's funny, I can think of the top of my head of a dozen better sequences showing number II

Street Fighter II
Silent Hill 2
Resident Evil 2
Soul Calibur 2
Mortal Kombar II
Mega man 2
Quake 2
Half Life 2
Donkey Kong Country 2
Uncharted 2

And I do love Samsho 2, but that is such an exaggeration, But hey, that's your opinion and this is mine. Let's agree to disagree…
Yeah he is off,way off.

Anyway the collection is on sale.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0576-CUSA17134_00-SAMUSHOCOLLEUS00/

93xfan

Banned
Super Mario Bros 3 was the perfect sequel.

Loved the all 3 of the NES games.

Also:

Mega Man 2

Street Fighter 2

Mortal Kombat 2

Smash Bros Melee

Jumping Flash 2!

Not a ton of games are definitively better in EVERY way, but I feel this list meets that criteria.

VGEsoterica

Super Mario Bros 3 was the perfect sequel.

Loved the all 3 of the NES games.

Also:

Mega Man 2

Street Fighter 2

Mortal Kombat 2

Smash Bros Melee

Jumping Flash 2!

Not a ton of games are definitively better in EVERY way, but I feel this list meets that criteria.
SMB 3 was a legit huge leap over 1 and obv 2 considering while it’s a great game it’s a reskin

Paltheos

Suikoden 2 is the obvious answer to me

No. The highs to the game are really good, but it spends way too much time futzing around, it sometimes locks you out of party members for no reason at all, and army battles are now an entirely pointless affair where the winning move is to play as conservatively as possible until the scripted conclusions kick in (and this is just stuff off the top of my head - oh right! and Buddy Attack trivializes a good chunk of the game). Moment to moment gameplay I prefer Suikoden 1 actually. At the very least, 2 is not clearly better in every way.

Majormaxxx

The easy answer would be Uncharted 2. However, I will answer now with Mass Effect 2 - yes it is dated now but back then it was insanely fun.

Top Bottom