• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Chargers plan to announce that they are moving to Los Angeles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alabama's team is the Saints.

IDK, seems like Atlanta is being pushed as Alabama's team lately while it was the Saints previously.

Its honestly a bit weird because The Braves really feel like Alabama's team, meanwhile the Falcons and Saints feel more like a bandwagon thing.

Tobor

I think he could kill a team in Richmond since their training camp is there but I don't think he could kill a team in Tidewater. He's not Jerry Jones.

Remember, the Redskins ultimately couldn't kill a team that moved closer to their stadium than their team offices are.

Every time tidewater is ever mentioned locally, it’s considered a no go as the market officially belongs to Snyder. I’ll try and find a link but i don’t think it’s ever going to happen. But hey, we have the official Skins training camp in Richmond!(that we pay for every year. Lol)

Yeah I was thinking Richmond was a little too close, but two hours further south...

Two hours south of Richmond is North Carolina.

Forkball

I see both team have broken out the most hideous uniforms they could find.

Dishwalla

Banned

I live in Norfolk near the VA Beach border and Google Maps says Richmond is an hour and 46 minutes from here. If they put the stadium out somewhere in like Pungo or out near the Amphitheater thats about 2 hours from Richmond.

Zeke

I think, having thought about it, if not San Diego, the remaining options would conceivably be:

Richmond/Tidewater Virginia
Louisville, Kentucky
Birmingham, Alabama
San Antonio, Texas
Portland, Oregon
Salt Lake City, Utah

And to a lesser extent, St. Louis (but it'd have to be the NFL/ownership building the stadium entirely with their own money)

The Texans and Cowboys would fight a San Antonio team like hell unless they got a nice chunk of change as part of the deal.

Louisville, Portland, Birmingham and SLC are tough sells.

I actually think all things considered, Virginia might be the best call for a move. You'd have to move the Texans to the AFC West and the new Virginia team to the AFC South for that to work, though.
I've given up on San Antonio getting a team as much as I'd love for city to get one :(

Tobor

I live in Norfolk near the VA Beach border and Google Maps says Richmond is an hour and 46 minutes from here. If they put the stadium out somewhere in like Pungo or out near the Amphitheater thats about 2 hours from Richmond.

You said south in your last post. Norfolk is south east. :p

San Diego would love the Chargers back if Spanos and his family no longer had anything to do with the team. Spanos is the most hated man in the city.

FStubbs

Every time tidewater is ever mentioned locally, it's considered a no go as the market officially belongs to Snyder. I'll try and find a link but i don't think it's ever going to happen. But hey, we have the official Skins training camp in Richmond!(that we pay for every year. Lol)

Baltimore didn't even officially belong to the Redskins in the end so I'm not entirely sure he'd be able to keep Tidewater. Especially since there aren't even any other major pro or college sports there. It would be a market that the NFL team would have completely to itself.

Remember, Snyder isn't Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, or Jerry Richardson.

GrapeApes

Baltimore didn't even officially belong to the Redskins in the end so I'm not entirely sure he'd be able to keep Tidewater. Especially since there aren't even any other major pro or college sports there. It would be a market that the NFL team would have completely to itself.

Remember, Snyder isn't Jerry Jones, Robert Kraft, or Jerry Richardson.
Baltimore already had a team prior. You can't really veto that.

ReAxion

Everyone in town gets to line up and kick Dean in the nuts. Then the other owners force him out. Then they also pay for their new stadium. Then they can come back.

RBH

Stop me if you’ve heard this before: the crowd at StubHub Center for a San Diego Los Angeles Chargers game was awful. A huge portion of the crowd were Kansas City Chiefs fans, and for the fourth time in four games at the stadium (including two preseason contests) there were plenty of empty seats. And just a friendly reminder, StubHub only seats 27,000.

How bad was it? Well, the Chargers knew the crowd was so pro-Chiefs that they didn’t even do player introductions over the public address system due to fears their own players would get booed. In their home stadium. In a new city the league told us was so desperate to have the NFL that it could support two teams. A city Dean Spanos said contained 25 percent of the team’s fans.
http://thebiglead.com/2017/09/24/los-angeles-chargers-welcomed-another-embarrassing-crowd-in-week-3/

The Chargers are the least popular team in the NFL because of how regional and localized they were. Pretty much nobody outside of San Diego County cares about the Chargers. Their fanbase is microscopic.

Spanos really should have done everything he could to cater to the fanbase in San Diego he did have, because outside of them he has nothing. The LA Chargers will live on though, supported by Away team fans sitting in Stubhub seats. Their money is just as good as Chargers fan's money.

The Chargers are the least popular team in the NFL because of how regional and localized they were. Pretty much nobody outside of San Diego County cares about the Chargers. Their fanbase is microscopic.

Spanos really should have done everything he could to cater to the fanbase in San Diego he did have, because outside of them he has nothing. The LA Chargers will live on though, supported by Away team fans sitting in Stubhub seats. Their money is just as good as Chargers fan's money.

There's more Chargers fans out east by the 15. Riverside county area and such. The move to LA didn't really better their drive though, and just made the drive worse for the fan base further south.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To be fair, if the league had already had teams fail in Los Angeles in the past, maybe they wouldn't have made this mistake again.

RBH

tng3dbcdc5ng96cxdbfr.jpg

DLFMFugW0AArqUi.jpg:small

When we last saw the Chargers play at “home” in Carson, California, nobody cared. Today, though, brings much better news—there are plenty of passionate fans who came out to the Chargers-Eagles game today! They’re just not from Los Angeles.

Unfortunately for the five fans of the L.A. Chargers, it looks like their home stadium has been taken over been Eagles fans, and this doesn’t feel like a home game anymore.

In front of Roger Goodell, God, and everyone, football in L.A. has been greeted with apathy and opposing hostility. It could be worse, though. The stadium isn’t completely filled with Eagles fans—there are also some nice makeshift decorations:

DLErQufVoAAu1Fi.jpg:large

In NFL's smallest stadium, seats are covered...wow
https://twitter.com/LesBowen/status/914559768051687424
https://deadspin.com/lets-check-in-on-that-l-a-chargers-experiment-1819040461

Jopie

I am a few hours away from the Chargers stadium. I would like to go to game simply because the stadium is tiny and it would fun. Every week I have checked ticket prices the cheapest ticket has been over $150, and their price for parking is absurd.

Please dont come back to san diego, chargers. We dont want you here no more and ill be damned if any of mah tax dollars go to fund anything that resembles a stadium for you guys.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Considering the long standing blood feud between the two teams, I can't see this being a good idea.

It would however be cosmically hilarious.

I hate the Chargers more than the Raiders now so that would be awesome.

bwhaha.. They should've went to Vegas.

Clark County has a lower median income and much lower population than San Diego County. As vacation spots for fans following teams on the road they're probably about the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom