• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con International 2008 - Anyone going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'll be attending for my 17th straight year (I'm 26), any GAF members going? It's going to be an amazing experience this year!

Good luck for everyone trying to go, I suggest going Thursday or Sunday as they are the least busy days...

Friday and Saturday are already sold out.

If anyone is interested I'll be running an open gaming room in Mezzanine level 17B and will have all kinds of fighting games being played there.

Also some exclusive playables such as BlazBlue and a few more...

For those of you interested in programming at this year's SDCC.

Here is the programming schedule:
http://www.comic-con.org/cci/cci_prog.shtml

Ones I plan on attending/checking out:

DISCLAIMER/WARNING: THIS IS WHY San Diego Comic-Con International owns all other conventions for free...

THURSDAY - JULY 24, 2008

11:30-12:30 SPORE: One-on-One with Will Wright— Will Wright is best known for creating the SimCity and The Sims video game franchises, the latter of which has sold more than 100 million games to date. In 2007, he was given the Vanguard Award from the Producer’s Guild of America, making him the first person in the videogame industry to receive such an honor. Wright’s next video game, SPORE, is scheduled for release on September 7. Join Will Wright for his first-ever appearance at Comic-Con! Room 6CDEF
Categories: Gaming | Science Fiction & Fantasy

2:15-3:15 Halo Wars and the Halo Universe— Prima Games, Tor Books, McFarlane Toys, and Microsoft Games Studio bring you an in-depth panel discussion on all things Halo. Panelists include Eric Nylund, author of Halo: The Fall of Reach and Halo: First Strike Onyx; Tobias Buckell, author of the upcoming novel Halo: The Cole Protocol; game universe writers Graeme Devine (Halo Wars) and Frank O’Connor (Halo Trilogy); and Jon Goff and Corrinne Robinson, McFarlane Toys’ brand management team for Halo action figures. Room 6A
Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Gaming

3:15-4:15 Capcom: The Making of Street Fighter IV— Producer Yoshinoro Ono (Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams) and associate producer David Crislip deliver an exclusive behind-the-scenes peek at the making of the much-anticipated Street Fighter IV video game, featuring the design of classic and new characters, creating compelling gameplay. Also, a sneak peek at the animated SFIV minimovies being created to complement the game. There will be a Q&A session as well as Street Fighter-related surprises! Street Fighter cosplayers are highly encouraged to attend this event, as it marks the 20th anniversary of the Street Fighter franchise. Room 6CDEF
Categories: Anime & Manga | Costuming | Gaming

4:15-5:15 Afro Samurai: Resurrection Exclusive Worldwide Premiere!— Afro Samurai picks up his sword once again for the second installment of this critically acclaimed, funktastic anime! This action-packed panel features the creators behind the hit, including star and executive producer Samuel L. Jackson (The Spirit), original creator Takahashi Okazaki, musical artist The RZA (Kill Bill), and executive producer Leo Chu (Spike TV). Be the first to see the worldwide premiere of the exclusive Comic-Con trailer, dazzling artwork from the manga, and never-before-seen demos of the pulse-pounding video game. Room 6B
Categories: Animation | Anime & Manga | Gaming | Superheroes

7:15-8:15 Adventures in Anime— Quinton Flynn (Axel from Kingdom Hearts, Reno from Final Fantasy, Raiden from MGS) and Emmy winner Jeff Nimoy (director of Digimon, Naruto, Wolfwood from Trigun) talk about their careers and their adventures on tour, answer your questions, and sing their famous Yaoi Song from AdventuresInAnime.com! Room 6A
Categories: Animation | Anime & Manga | Fandom | Nighttime Programming

9:00-12:00 10th Annual Superhero Kung-Fu Extravaganza— Martial Arts movie master Ric Meyers (Inside Kung-Fu) celebrates a decade's worth of bringing you the funniest, fastest, and most amazing film clips by creating an anniversary show of the greatest kung-fu fights of all time, complete with surprise guest stars and freebies! If you attend only one "Extravaganza" in the next ten years, make this the one! Room 6CDEF
Categories: Fandom | Movies | Nighttime Programming

----

FRIDAY - JULY 25, 2008

12:00-1:00 Prince of Persia— Jordan Mechner, the creator of the Prince of Persia video game and graphic novel and screenwriter on the upcoming movie, discusses the global phenomenon that is Prince of Persia, tying together the comics and the video game industry. Room 4
Categories: Comic Books | Gaming | Movies

1:00-2:00 Introducing Resident Evil: Degeneration— Producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi (Devil May Cry 4, Resident Evil 4) and director Makoto Kamiya (special effects director, L: Change the World, Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack) introduce the full-length CG-animated motion picture based on the popular Capcom video game franchise. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment invites you to be the first to see the film's revealing new trailer and take part in a Q&A session with the filmmakers. Room 2
Categories: Gaming | Horror and Suspense | Movies

1:45-2:45 Ghostbusters: The Video Game— Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson, and panelists from Sierra Entertainment and Sony Pictures Consumer Products discuss the eagerly anticipated Ghostbusters: The Video Game, due out this October. The panel focuses on what it takes to bring fans the next chapter in the Ghostbusters universe, including working with the original cast members and Sony Pictures Consumer Products to create a completely true and faithful interactive ghostbusting experience. Room 6B
Categories: Fandom | Gaming | Humor & Satire | Movies | Science Fiction & Fantasy

2:00-3:00 Capcom: How to Get A Job in the Video Game Industry— Video game giant Capcom presents a panel of respected video game industry veterans to deliver an overview of the wide variety of career opportunities within the industry, personal tales of how they got in, and tips and suggestions for those who want to. Panelists include Chris Charla (VP, business development, Foundation 9—Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix), Morgan Gray (producer, Dark Void), Grant Luke (senior product manager, Street Fighter IV), Francis Mao (Capcom senior director, creative services and former creative director for GamePro magazine), and Tim Ng (Capcom associate public relations manager). Q&A session to round out the presentation. Room 2
Categories: Gaming | Seminars & Workshops

3:00-4:00 World of Warcraft— Hear what’s next for World of Warcraft straight from the source! Representatives from Blizzard Entertainment will be joined by folks from Upper Deck, DC Comics and Tokyopop to reveal what’s in store for World of Warcraft gaming, comics, action figure, and manga fans. Plus, while supplies last, attendees will receive an exclusive World of Warcraft Comic-Con gift! Room 6CDEF
Categories: Action Figures, Toys and Collectibles | Anime & Manga | Comic Books | Gaming

4:15-5:15 Xbox LIVE Original Content Panel— You love the games, the TV, the movies, and Xbox LIVE Arcade, now see what is next. Get a sneak peak at the next generation of exciting original video content coming to Xbox LIVE worldwide. Meet the major Hollywood talent creating the content as they showcase their work, participate in a Q&A, and provide a few surprises. Room 6B
Categories: Gaming | Movies

5:30-6:30 Penny Arcade— The creators of Penny Arcade are on hand for a one-hour open Q&A session about the game industry, their own foray into making games, PAX, webcomics, Child’s Play, and more! (Please do not bring them food. They do not know any better and will, in fact, eat it.) Room 5AB
Categories: Gaming | Webcomics

----

SATURDAY - JULY 26, 2008

11:30-12:30 Sam & Max, Strong Bad, and the Secrets Behind Turning Comics into Games— Sam & Max may have their roots in indy comics, but the crime-fighting duo is right at home starring in a successful series of episodic games. The cast of the popular Homestarrunner.com web cartoons are following suit this summer in Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People. Why do comics make for such great games? Telltale designers Mark Darin, Chuck Jordan, and Mike Stemmle, artist Mai Nguyen, and Sam & Max creator Steve Purcell will tell you all about the fun (and work) of bringing comics to life. Plus, get a first look at a third, completely new episodic game series! Room 4
Categories: Animation | Comic Books | Comic-Con Special Guest Spotlights & Appearances | Gaming | Webcomics

2:00-3:00 Warhammer Online— How do you take an entire universe with years of rich storytelling behind it and transfer it seamlessly—and in a compelling way!—to a new medium? EA Mythic’s Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning is giving the online gaming treatment to the celebrated Warhammer universe, and creative director Paul Barnett will talk about the challenges involved with satisfying the legion of Warhammer die-hards while also providing a solid and unique experience to MMORPG veterans. Room 2
Categories: Gaming

2:00-3:00 Attack of the Show!— Attack of the Show! is G4's irreverent interactive daily live "variety" show that paves the inside track to today's entertainment, technology and pop culture. Hosts Kevin Pereira, Olivia Munn, comic book expert Blair Butler and show producers give fans a rare opportunity to get a behind-the-scenes look at how this show brings tech-obsessed viewers all the up-to-the-minute news on Internet culture, technology, comic books, gadgets, live events and more. Get a glimpse of a day in the life of a daily tech show. Room 3
Categories: Comic Books | Fandom | Gaming | Movies | Television | Webcomics

3:30-4:30 Xbox Creators’ Showcase: Gears of War 2 and Fable 2— Join legendary videogame designers Peter Molyneux (Lionhead Studios) and Cliff Bleszinski (Epic Games) for a sneak peak at their highly anticipated holiday blockbusters, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2. Get a glimpse of these highly anticipated Xbox 360 exclusives, and have a chance to speak directly with Peter and Cliff during the Q&A session! Room 6B
Categories: Gaming

5:00-6:00 The Dead Space IP— Ben Templesmith (30 Days of Night) and Antony Johnston (Wasteland) lead a panel that includes Chuck Patton, AJ Jothikumar and Joe Goyette (Dead Space animated feature) to discuss how graphic novels have become a vital component for top-tier entertainment brands and how multiple mediums (comics, games, and movies) have come together to create a holistic story. While famous comics have spawned successful movies, TV shows, and games, Electronic Arts' new sci-fi horror brand Dead Space has developed a comics series and animated feature to first introduce the universe to key opinion leaders and influencers. Panelists will discuss these new developments, what it takes to develop a successful brand that speaks to audiences across a variety of multimedia, and the implications for the future of the entertainment industry. Room 2
Categories: Animation | Comic Books | Gaming | Horror and Suspense | Movies

6:00-7:00 Capcom Presents: The Making of Bionic Commando and Bionic Commando Rearmed— Producer Ben Judd presents an exclusive, never-before-seen, behind-the-scenes peek at the making of the Bionic Commando Rearmed and Bionic Commando for the next gen game systems. Andy Diggle (The Losers, Swamp Thing) discusses writing the Bionic Commando webcomic. Select audience members will be invited to take part in a special Bionic Commando Rearmed gaming tournament to win exclusive Bionic Commando prizes! Plus, meet the real Bionic Commando in person for photos. Q&A session to round out the presentation. Room 2
Categories: Comic Books | Gaming | Webcomics

Teddman

I'll be there one day, probably Sunday, since Saturday is batshit insane. Lots of videogame presence in the last couple years, it's basically like the "Greatest Hits of E3" in regard to that. Should be fun!

Yay. I'm going this year. Last year was my first time going and I had fun. I'm looking forward to the Resident Evil: Degeneration panel. I only have around $300 in spending plus food this year though. :( I can't go crazy like I did last year with stuff.

Checked the website and couldn't find the WB panel for the Watchmen or the Lionsgate for The Spirit or Punisher: War Zone. Are they only going to be listed on the program book?

I'll be attending my first SDCC this year and can't wait. A friend hooked me up with a room at the Hard Rock which I hear is right across the street so that will be awesome too. I've got my brand new iPhone in hand which will also make things a lot easier during the experience. On top of that I believe work allows me to attend without taking any vacation. Man I can't wait! I'll be there Wed-Sat. Hopefully will get through a good chunk of it on Wed and Thur.

Aww fuck, there's actually some interesting fuck in there! I saw the star trek + comic con banners around the city but I didn't really bother to investigate much further :lol

I'm not from San Diego (actually not even from the US) but will still be around here when the ComicCon takes place so it'd be cool if some gaffer would contact me to go there (it would suck going there alone).

edit: fuck! fri+sat sold out? that sucks (well i dont know anyone in the area, so if anyone wants to hang out drop me a line anyway lol)

Fletcher said:
Fuck. The Watchmen panel and the Spaced panel overlap each other!

Motherfuck.
That's main things that sucks for me about Comic-con. Too many interesting panels overlapping. You have to choose my son. Many painful choices in the past...

I royally fucked up this year and didn't register early enough to get the full pass, so I'm only going Thursday Friday and Sunday. Which FUCKING PISSES ME OFF because Pixar is showing off UP on SATURDAY! :mad: :mad:

JimiNutz

Banned
I know this is the geekiest request ever but c'mon we're on GAF so what do you expect?

I hear they are selling the Gears of War Carmine action figures EXCLUSIVELY at Comic-Con. Now I'd go and bag one myself but since I live in London (UK) it's obviously out of the question. Now I will pay good money (price of the figure, plus shipping to UK, plus a little extra for your troubles-say $15) for anybody that is able to pick me up a Carmine figure from Comic-Con. PM me if interested

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Only going one day, and since Saturday has long been sold out, Friday was my only option. Should be fun, however... I am going with empty pockets : ( ahh well, the sights and sounds will be good!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
As a veteran of this con, just want to warn ya'll.

Prepare yourselves. It gets really crowded.

Bring some water bottles, snacks, or whatever.

Wear comfortable clothes/shoes.

Shogmaster said:
I might be demoing Cintiqs in booty shorts couple hours a day at some booth for Wacom. Not set in stone yet.

Shogmaster is a booth babe! :lol :lol :lol

I wanted to go, but they never confirmed Arthur Adams as a guest. >:|

jett

D-Member
12:00-1:00 Prince of Persia— Jordan Mechner, the creator of the Prince of Persia video game and graphic novel and screenwriter on the upcoming movie, discusses the global phenomenon that is Prince of Persia, tying together the comics and the video game industry. Room 4

The one of most interest for me.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Shogmaster is a booth babe! :lol :lol :lol

I wanted to go, but they never confirmed Arthur Adams as a guest. >:|
I have the hottest outfit EVAR all picked out too. I should make that Brazilian wax appointment come to think of it...

Cherubae

I got my 4-day pass a few months ago, so I'm all set to go. My goal is to end up with Paul Reuben's autograph on Saturday :D

Preview night use to be so dead 8 year ago or so. There was hardly anyone there. Now the place is packed like any other normal con day :( The variety of things on the vendor floor use to be better as well. Now all the small booths are gone and have been given out to big companies like Lucasarts and the SciFi channel.

Shogmaster said:
I have the hottest outfit EVAR all picked out too. I should make that Brazilian wax appointment come to think of it...

I'm picturing Asian Man-Faye. :p

Sucks, I want to go visit my buddy, but I also want to prostrate myself before Art Adams.

And I missed my opportunity to meet Felipe Smith since he's now drawing fishbowl headed comics in Japan. >:|

The Take Out Bandit said:
I'm picturing Asian Man-Faye. :p

Sucks, I want to go visit my buddy, but I also want to prostrate myself before Art Adams.

And I missed my opportunity to meet Felipe Smith since he's now drawing fishbowl headed comics in Japan. >:|
Well, start planning for next year you jerk! At this rate you'll never leave Cleveland. :p

demifiend

I'm going Thursday and Saturday, planning to see the video games concert, and the masquerade, take some cosplay photos, and try not to spend any money.
Maybe GAF folks could meet up somewhere for lunch?

Any heroes on gaf out there who will pick up the stealth Naked Snake and Carmine?
God damn London.

I went to the Film and Comic Con in Earl's court yesterday and there was nothing >:X

duckroll

Is there any chance Bionic Commando Rearmed will be out this week to coincide with ComicCon? Otherwise it would be pretty lame for Capcom since it's going to get delayed AGAIN. :p

tetsuoxb

duckroll said:
Is there any chance Bionic Commando Rearmed will be out this week to coincide with ComicCon? Otherwise it would be pretty lame for Capcom since it's going to get delayed AGAIN. :p

Why would it be lame of Capcom to show a game pre-release?

duckroll

tetsuoxb said:
Why would it be lame of Capcom to show a game pre-release?

Because the game has been delayed from May, to June, to July and we're pretty much on the last two weeks of July here? Is that not lame to you?

luxsol

I'm looking for a Saturday pass if anyone is willing to offload once they're done with it.
If you want to get some of your money back hit me with a PM or email me to make arrangements (when/where/payment at the show).

Thanks.

Sallokin

I went last year and had a great time. I wish I could make it this year. Are they going to show anything from Jame's Cameron's Avatar? I checked out the schedule and could only find stuff for Avatar the Last Airbender.

Won't be able to make it, but looking at the OP, there sure is an awful lot of video game stuff for a comic convention...

Holy fuck....looking at the first half of the FIRST DAY, I would want to go to three or four things! Damn, that convention is awesome!

border

God it's such a crime that almost all of these panels are not taped or video'ed or made available to the public in some way. Especially this historic event:

:15-8:15 Mystery Science Theater 3000 20th Anniversary Reunion— From 1988 to 1999, the long-suffering captives aboard the Satellite of Love wisecracked their way through hundreds of cinema's problem children—those delirious B-movies of yesteryear created by twisted imaginations and, possibly, the need for a tax shelter. To celebrate the show's 20th Anniversary, join a historic reunion of cast and crew, including creator Joel Hodgson, producer Jim Mallon and fellow writer/performers Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff, Mary Jo Pehl, Paul Chaplin, J. Elvis Weinstein, Bridget Nelson, and Bill Corbett for a Q&A panel hosted by self-professed "MST3K nerd" and comedian Patton Oswalt (The King of Queens).

I want to see the LOST panel, but tickets were sold out for Saturday.

I'd kill just to see the LOST panel. :(

If you have 2 extra tickets for SAT....or one, hit me up please.

JimiNutz

Banned
dabookerman said:
Any heroes on gaf out there who will pick up the stealth Naked Snake and Carmine?
God damn London.

I went to the Film and Comic Con in Earl's court yesterday and there was nothing >:X

I'm looking for a Carmine as well. Nobody seems to have responded to my offer though :(

border said:
God it's such a crime that almost all of these panels are not taped or video'ed or made available to the public in some way. Especially this historic event:

:15-8:15 Mystery Science Theater 3000 20th Anniversary Reunion— From 1988 to 1999, the long-suffering captives aboard the Satellite of Love wisecracked their way through hundreds of cinema's problem children—those delirious B-movies of yesteryear created by twisted imaginations and, possibly, the need for a tax shelter. To celebrate the show's 20th Anniversary, join a historic reunion of cast and crew, including creator Joel Hodgson, producer Jim Mallon and fellow writer/performers Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, Trace Beaulieu, Frank Conniff, Mary Jo Pehl, Paul Chaplin, J. Elvis Weinstein, Bridget Nelson, and Bill Corbett for a Q&A panel hosted by self-professed "MST3K nerd" and comedian Patton Oswalt (The King of Queens).

Actually, Shout Factory announced that they were going to include this as a bonus feature on the upcoming 20th Anniversary MST3K DVD Collection. So big win on that front!

But yes, I agree that Comic Con should make some sort of recording of all of these panels for posterity. Shit, make it like C-SPAN. Get some official areas for tape recording and hook the mics for questions and panelists into those systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom