• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con International 2008 - Anyone going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p01ar

GameTrailers
MarkMan said:
Have you guys seen how much badges are going for on craigslist and ebay? It's insane!?

How is it even possible? People are selling their barcoded registration papers, don't you need to show ID with those?

Cherubae

p01ar said:
How is it even possible? People are selling their barcoded registration papers, don't you need to show ID with those?

The scalper could be picking up the badges and then giving them out to the buyers.

For first time con goers, it might be a good idea to bring some sort of food/water with you. The prices at the con are high and you usually have to wait in some long lines. Likewise keep in mind that there's going to be 100k people crowding into all of the downtown restaurants at night if you're staying all 4 evenings in the city.

A lot of people just forgo the restaurants and head up to the food court in Horton Plaza.

luxsol

Marty Chinn said:
I'm getting packed up tonight. Any tips or advice for a first timer?
MAKE SURE TO SHOWER BEFORE THE CON.

Also, bringing water is a must.
They have water coolers in most of the upstairs room if you ever want to refilll too.

Be ready to wait in many many lines and get to any popular panels at least an hour ahead of time if you want to get in.
Last year to get into the Futurama and Battlestar Galactica panels I waited in line for about two hours. The room was always full and the secruity people were telling us that we weren't going to get in. Luckily, the panel before Battlestar Galactica was Heroes and most people who were there left the room.

So if you want to see anything popular, make sure to have someone or something to entertain you while waiting.

luxsol

Skiptastic said:
Actually, Shout Factory announced that they were going to include this as a bonus feature on the upcoming 20th Anniversary MST3K DVD Collection. So big win on that front!

But yes, I agree that Comic Con should make some sort of recording of all of these panels for posterity. Shit, make it like C-SPAN. Get some official areas for tape recording and hook the mics for questions and panelists into those systems.
Almost all rooms with panels in them have a video camera in the center of the room, and for almost all panels I've gone to there is always someone manning the camera.
Who knows what they're there for, and I've never seen any non-attendee videos for panels.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
p01ar said:

It is possible. last year I had like 35 badges, and the extra ones I made about $1700 off of.

If I sold again this year. I would make SO MUCH.

I could get a PS4.

Ponn

Banned
Anybody going willing to buy me a Fin Fang Foom Hulk set from the Hasbro Booth. Willing to pay or trade games.

Ugh I can't go this year, too busy working on a couple of things that hopefully you'll get to see some of at next year's Con ;-)

First SDCC I've missed in five years, I'm bummed!

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Marty Chinn said:
Drop by Ralph's and pick up some sandwiches/snacks and water.

Don't try and see everything. It's impossible.

Maybe rent a car to get around/midday storage for all the schwag you accumulate. Parking isn't that bad (compared to nyc) and we were always able to get parking across the street from the convention center in the morning.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Marty Chinn said:

Take a camera and assemble an album comprised entirely of fat versions of things that should not be fat. Jedis,Jokers, Stormtroopers, Batmen, Spocks, etc.

ezekial45

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
Ugh I can't go this year, too busy working on a couple of things that hopefully you'll get to see some of at next year's Con ;-)

First SDCC I've missed in five years, I'm bummed!

Is IT coming along well?

fallengorn said:

Maybe rent a car to get around/midday storage for all the schwag you accumulate. Parking isn't that bad (compared to nyc) and we were always able to get parking across the street from the convention center in the morning.
He's staying at a hotel across the street from the convention center so he is set with the swag load issue.

My advice is to carefully plan out the schedules for the panels upstairs. Panels >>>>>> convention floor. And line up at least an hour in advance for the more popular sounding panels. Hell, if the panel is first one in that room that morning, you will have to get there 3 hours ahead.

fallengorn said:

I'm lucky enough to be splitting a room at the Hard Rock which is across the street. Easy access to take a break or drop stuff off =) I'm bringing water and snacks with me so looks like I'm fairly prepared. I'll keep that in mind about the panels and will probably limit how many panels I go to cuz of that. Although it looks like if two panels are fairly close together in time, I'm pretty screwed on getting to the second one right?

Marty Chinn said:
I'm lucky enough to be splitting a room at the Hard Rock which is across the street. Easy access to take a break or drop stuff off =) I'm bringing water and snacks with me so looks like I'm fairly prepared. I'll keep that in mind about the panels and will probably limit how many panels I go to cuz of that. Although it looks like if two panels are fairly close together in time, I'm pretty screwed on getting to the second one right?
You will have to make some difficult choices regarding panels.

fallengorn

Marty Chinn said:
It depends. If the second panel happens to be in Hall H or Ballroom 20, consider doing something else.

And if your first point of visit is either of those rooms when the con opens, try and get there really, really, really early.

AniHawk

My day:

10:00: signed in.
10:30: went downstairs, walked around. Saw the Mega64 booth and Capcom/gaming areas (SFIV had a pretty good line. Mega Man 9 was playable). It's sorta like a mini-E3.
11:30: did the Spore/Will Wright show. The guy is really funny and had a pretty entertaining powerpoint that was somewhat recycled from E3 (the spore users=38% God graph). Spore got huge laughs and applause from the crowd at various points (such as, blowing up a planet and pulling out to reveal that- oops- it was part of a vast empire).
1:00: did lunch.
2:00: went downstairs again. Terry Moore was a bit late showing up because of traffic, but he signed Echo #1 and Strangers in Paradise: Vol. 9 (Child of Rage).
3:00: got the Penny-Arcade guys to sign one of their books I bought years ago. I was so ill-prepared for the first comic-con, I had no cash and nothing of theirs for signing (even though I had the book).
4:00: Tim Sale signed my copy of The Long Halloween.
5:00: saw Mike Nelson and ex-MST3K crew.
6:00: went home.

Did some other stuff in-between. Visited the Mega64 booth one more time, which was located next to the Telltale Games booth. Saw Bruce Timm and Darwyn Cooke, but didn't have them sign anything.

Oh, and Marv Wolfman was there at the beginning of the day. He was just sitting there. No line or anything, with this sad little sign (not much bigger than an 8.5 x 11 size piece of paper) he probably wrote himself that read, "Marv Wolfman: Creator of The New Teen Titans!" Some asshat was collecting autographs, and the first thing he did was ask him to turn over his nametag to make sure it was REALLY Marv Wolfman. Second, he opened a page that Marv had already signed, and asked him to draw something.

What.

Anyway, pictures.

9bdnur.jpg

Slide from Will Wright's presentation. He spoke a lot about games becoming art, but first talked a bit about nerd culture. One of his slides was one of those motivational posters. I took a picture, but it came out too fuzzy and the camera man is blocking half of it. I believe it read, "Comic-Cons Where you needn't be ashamed of your love of otaku cosplay... even at thirty."

27z9j4w.jpg

Probably the best cosplay at the show. And probably the only non-Heath Ledger Joker out of at least ten I saw there (including female Heath Ledger Jokers and toddler Heath Ledger Jokers). I don't think I ever saw the guy stop smiling.

15p30pu.jpg

acd9mx.jpg

Diuretic

Was wondering if they checked receipts to obtain badges, or if you can just show ID for them to look it up? Didn't print out the receipts after registration. Thanks in advance.

Edit: NM got it

So I want to hit the 24 panel which ends at 6:30 and then hit the kevin smith panel which starts at 6:30. How fucked am I and if you suggest I pick one which one shoul I go to?

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Marty Chinn said:
So I want to hit the 24 panel which ends at 6:30 and then hit the kevin smith panel which starts at 6:30. How fucked am I and if you suggest I pick one which one shoul I go to?

24 blows, a kevin smith panel would be hilarious.

SickBoy

How much does the show cost? I'm just curious, but I'd probably like to go in a couple of years. There and PAX are the two geek events I'd really like to check out. My local annual comic show just isn't the same.

Fletcher

Just a heads up. LBP is playable there and it is really really awesome.

p-640-480-12c501c0-2694-4961-8e6c-c5282cbcc3ef.jpeg

Shitty picture. I was actually taking a picture of the kid for someone, but i will get better pictures, if not video, tomorrow.

Ya, I'd expect it to be great bit the only reason I'm hesitating is cuz I have been to one before but I've never seen jack bauer in person before. Tough call

Mark V

ezekial45 said:
Are there any places online to view videos of the panel? Like a live stream or something?

You can catch the Xbox related panels and such on Xbox LIVE because Microsoft is doing a "Bringing it Home" again this year for Comic-Con:

For those who aren’t amongst the 125,000 Comic-Con International 2008 attendees, Microsoft is offering “Bringing Comic-Con Home” on Xbox LIVE through Sunday, so anyone can get a behind-the-scenes look at all of the action. The Xbox 360 team will be covering every inch of the show floor with daily coverage on Inside Xbox and Xbox.com, as well as MSN and Zune Marketplace so fans will be able to download these panels and watch them in high definition in their living rooms or on their PCs.

Mark V

MarkMan said:

SATURDAY - JULY 26, 2008

3:30-4:30 Xbox Creators’ Showcase: Gears of War 2 and Fable 2— Join legendary videogame designers Peter Molyneux (Lionhead Studios) and Cliff Bleszinski (Epic Games) for a sneak peak at their highly anticipated holiday blockbusters, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2. Get a glimpse of these highly anticipated Xbox 360 exclusives, and have a chance to speak directly with Peter and Cliff during the Q&A session! Room 6B
Categories: Gaming

For the Gears fans out there, Cliff B and Josh Ortega (Gears 2 writer and Gears comic writer) will be at the Xbox booth today from 2:00 to 2:45 pm (it's way on the far side of the exhibit hall in the 5000 range next to the other video game booths) signing autographs. There's a REALLY cool Comic-Con exclusive poster they're handing out of what looked like one of the battle sequences from the "Rendezvous" E3 trailer. Definitely worth picking up.

I'll be at the MS booth for the signing and at the above-mentioned Xbox panel. :) My first Comic-Con! It's been great so far.

More info here:
http://localtechwire.com/business/local_tech_wire/news/story/3281533/

OMG, the Heroes panel was insane! For me, my first Tokyo Game Show allowed me to witness the longest line I have ever seen during the first public day. This has now Bren surpassed by far. I was about to give up but I an glad I didn't as the whole cast was there and the entire first episode of season 3. The third season is off to a good start!

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Fuck I'm tired. Just got home from Comic-Con Saturday. My brother beasted in gaming today. He won the Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection tournament and got 4th overall for the Konami Metal Gear Online tournament. His team won though for the 4 vs 4 team battle that Konami also held for the Metal Gear Online finals. He won this NICE Metal Gear Online poster that I've never seen anywhere before that was signed by both Hideo Kojima and Yoji Shinkawa.

I got to meet up with Yoshinori Ono (Producer of Street Fighter IV) and we talked about a few things and projects we're working on together. I got two signed IV posters and went on my way.

On the way out I spotted some Devil May Cry stuff. (InuFaye, if you're reading this, I got a Capcom official Devil May Cry 4 poster for you if you want it).

Finally towards the end of this hectic day we had Blaz Blue up for play in our gaming room. People were blown away by the graphics and gameplay. If I never mentioned this before, I'll mention this now. It is very unique and plays a lot like Guilty Gear with a mix of Virtua Fighter/Tekken/Third Strike thrown in.

The funniest part was when they announced the prizes for the MGO tournament. 1st got a 40GB LE Gunmetal PS3 signed by Hideo Kojima & Yoji Shinkawa (with an illustration by Shinkawa on it as well) + some money. The announcer stated, "NO one else in has one of these!!!"

I laughed it off because I got one the day before after hangin' out with the homies Yoji and Hideo...

Some pics:

2703337660_9cc22fd0af.jpg

2702516273_672892117e.jpg

2701378437_24d22ca067.jpg

fallengorn

Marty Chinn said:
OMG, the Heroes panel was insane! For me, my first Tokyo Game Show allowed me to witness the longest line I have ever seen during the first public day. This has now Bren surpassed by far. I was about to give up but I an glad I didn't as the whole cast was there and the entire first episode of season 3. The third season is off to a good start!
Yeah, I waited an hour and half and couldn't get in to it last year. The only way you could've gotten in was sitting through the last panel. But I thought the waiting would've lessened this year after the craptacular 2nd season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom