• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandra Bland Found Dead in TX Jail, Police Say Suicide, Family Disagrees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
That. Isn't. The. Point.

I quit.

No, the point is apparently some bullshit minutiae about a traffic ticket's worth of questioning whether you should use your turn signal, when a woman's life ended in police custody after a power tripping officer needlessly escalated the situation.

But please. Continue to regale us with stories of how everyone's missing the real point of all this.

If she put out the cigarette, she goes home with a warning. She mouthed off, he got pissy. Honestly not a single person knows what happens if she just got out of the car when he asked her too... maybe he just wanted to not have smoke coming out a window at him.

It's sad she died, but she didn't comply with cigarette request, then she refused to comply getting out of the car. At that point, is he supposed to just say "you know, just go ahead and go?"

That's what I don't get.. you can't just not comply with a police order. They ask you out, then get out.. they aren't going to have a back and forth with you all day about it, eventually they will force you out.

There's choices people make in situations, and sure the cop went full dick-mode when she got sassy with him.

The video clearly showed her not complying, then continuing to NOT comply after out of the car.

People here act like you should be allowed to be a dick to a cop, not comply, and just go on with life, because cops should just be the bigger person.

People like you act like we should all lick the boots of cops and that is how they end up being like such power tripping assholes.

The cop was already a dick when he made the U-turn to go after her . . . why did he do that? What probable cause did he have? Was it because a black woman was in his town? It surely wasn't the lane-change that she had not even made yet.

And then he pulls her over because she didn't signal a lane change? Why? Was that REALLY worth his time?

And then he asks her to get out? Why? She asked why and there was no good reason . . . just him on a power-trip.

This whole thing was about NOTHING. He had no reason to go after her. She never would have made that lane change if he had not chased her. She never would have gotten cranky if he just didn't bother with the most useless infraction. And just give her a fucking ticket then! . . . but no . . . he had to escalate it. It never would have escalated further if he did not power trip with taser and pulling her out of the car. What a complete waste of our tax-dollars . . . power-tripping assholes harassing people FOR NO REASON.

The police said he acted improperly. Are you gonna argue with them?

Aurongel

so apparently this is floating around a bunch on twiter right now

https://twitter.com/TyreeBP/status/624389480498081792

This is a 15 second video of The offficer hiding something and throwing it away right before paramedics arrived. not sure what to make of it. not sure if anyone seen it or posted it here.
I highly doubt that he wasn't aware he was on camera. If he wanted to hide something important he would have kept it on his person or ditched it somewhere without cameras.

But hey, conspiracy theories are fun I guess.

devilhawk

so apparently this is floating around a bunch on twiter right now

https://twitter.com/TyreeBP/status/624389480498081792

This is a 15 second video of The offficer hiding something and throwing it away right before paramedics arrived. not sure what to make of it. not sure if anyone seen it or posted it here.
I mean, it would be weird for the cops to edit out other time points of the video but not edit out a cop disposing of a murder weapon or something.

2real4tv

People like you act like we should all lick the boots of cops and that is how they end up being like such power tripping assholes.

The cop was already a dick when he made the U-turn to go after her . . . why did he do that? What probable cause did he have? Was it because a black woman was in his town? It surely wasn't the lane-change that she had not even made yet.

And then he pulls her over because she didn't signal a lane change? Why? Was that REALLY worth his time?

And then he asks her to get out? Why? She asked why and there was no good reason . . . just him on a power-trip.

This whole thing was about NOTHING. He had no reason to go after her. She never would have made that lane change if he had not chased her. She never would have gotten cranky if he just didn't bother with the most useless infraction. And just give her a fucking ticket then! . . . but no . . . he had to escalate it. It never would have escalated further if he did not power trip with taser and pulling her out of the car. What a complete waste of our tax-dollars . . . power-tripping assholes harassing people FOR NO REASON.

This. Not only that Mr honest and lawful cop clearly lied on tape.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.

Not sure this is worth my time, but let me answer you.

First off, I never said lick their boots, I said you should comply with lawful orders.

He has every right to pull someone over for not signaling.. more than likely it's an excuse to run someone to see if they lack insurance, have warrants, etc.. but she didn't signal, that's a traffic offense.. are we going to argue that it's not? Is it petty, fuck yes, but it's still a law.

He asked her to get out because she gave him attitude when he was about to let her off with a warning and her refusal to put out her cigarette.

She got herself arrested. She could have put out the cigarette, signed the warning or whatever and drove away.

Want to argue the point he shouldn't have asked her go get out, go for it, but it's his right, and asking her to get out doesn't escalate anything if she didn't refuse his order.

Asking her out is NOT arresting her.

Can't believe people are defending the cop in this situation. I agree that mistakes were made by both parties, but the cop seemed to have a chip on his shoulder, and let his ego and anger escalate the situation. The way he acted seemed very aggressive and unprofessional to me imo.

First off, I never said lick their boots, I said you should comply with lawful orders.

He has every right to pull someone over for not signaling.. more than likely it's an excuse to run someone to see if they lack insurance, have warrants, etc.. but she didn't signal, that's a traffic offense.. are we going to argue that it's not? Is it petty, fuck yes, but it's still a law.

He asked her to get out because she gave him attitude when he was about to let her off with a warning and her refusal to put out her cigarette.

She got herself arrested. She could have put out the cigarette, signed the warning or whatever and drove away.

Want to argue the point he shouldn't have asked her go get out, go for it, but it's his right, and asking her to get out doesn't escalate anything if she didn't refuse his order.

Problem with this is he said he was placing her under arrest when she asked why she had to exit the vehicle and then refused to say what she was being arrested for which he is required to do.

minx

Just want to let you it's really not worth your time, good post however. They are so engraved in their way of thinking. It's never anyone's fault but the officers, even if he made a legal stop and gave legal orders.

1) how do you know he was going to let her off without a warning?

2) is it illegal to smoke a cig in your car? Nope. Can a cop order you to put it out? NOPE.

3) Can the cop perceive not putting out your cig as a threat? Only if they are pretty fuckin stupid or having a power trip, Which happened here.

4) Did she get herself arrested? Nope, she knew her rights, she knew what she could or couldn't do. The cop had a power trip and arrested her because he saw her as a threat (or aggressive) for not putting out a cig while she was smoking in her car (which once again, isn't illegal)

The whole situation was handled poorly on all sides, but if the cop actually didnt have a powertrip, ALL of it wouldve been avoided.

Watch the video again, that's not what happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaW09Ymr2BA

Watch from about 8:50 on.

evidence is already out there that this wasn't a malfunction as cops claimed and was edited heavily. several news sites are reporting it too. I wouldn't trust the footage.

minx

He didn't legally tell her why after she asked over a dozen times.

He doesn't immediately have to tell her why. Should he have? Yes. I take the time to explain to people the law since some think they knows their rights when they really don't. I would say he went into physical contact too soon for my style of policing.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He doesn't immediately have to tell her why. Should he have? Yes. I take the time to explain to people the law since some think they knows their rights when they really don't. I would say he went into physical contact too soon for my style of policing.

Do you think he should have asked her to exit the car, escalating the situation, just because she didn't put out her cigarette? I'll even say she's a jerk for not putting out a cigarette, I hate being around smoke, but I don't see how that in any way should give the officer the right to escalate the situation and give her a hard time for something so petty.

minx

1) how do you know he was going to let her off without a warning?

2) is it illegal to smoke a cig in your car? Nope. Can a cop order you to put it out? NOPE.

3) Can the cop perceive not putting out your cig as a threat? Only if they are pretty fuckin stupid or having a power trip, Which happened here.

4) Did she get herself arrested? Nope, she knew her rights, she knew what she could or couldn't do. The cop had a power trip and arrested her because he saw her as a threat (or aggressive) for not putting out a cig while she was smoking in her car (which once again, isn't illegal)

The whole situation was handled poorly on all sides, but if the cop actually didnt have a powertrip, ALL of it wouldve been avoided.

You really have no clue what you are talking about on points
And

Watch the video, he stated he had a warning in his hand and was going to leave it at that. Read the thread. She didn't know what she could and couldn't do.

You completely failed to address the fact that he made a U-turn to chase her WHEN HE HAD NO PROBABLE CAUSE.

And you are really delusional if you think he would have just given her a warning if she put out the cigarette. I mean really delusional. He chase her for no reason. He threatened to 'Light her up'. He slammed her on the ground. He arrested HER for assault . . . did he ever show any fear or apprehension in that video? Nope.

You really have no clue what you are talking about on points
And

Watch the video, he stated he had a warning in his hand and was going to leave it at that. Read the thread. She didn't know what she could and couldn't do.

saw the video, and like i stated a few times, it came out by expert analysts the footage was edited, so unless you believe everything you hear ("malfunction") then that's on you

You're 100% right that he asks her to get out tin order to fuck with her. That's the entire problem.

Police are allowed to ask people to get out of their cars for reasons of officer safety when the situation calls for it. It's a power they're granted for a very specific purpose, and "sticking it to people who have annoyed me" isn't on that list.

He has no serious basis to ask that of her, and he does it for one reason and one reason only: because he can. And since he can, it means he's either going to get deference, or he's going to create a scenario where he gets to make an arrest on a bigger charge than an illegal lane violation. So either she bows to his authority, or he gets to arrest her.

If you're conceding about talking about whether he had serious justification for pulling her out of the car, then there's nothing to talk about. Nothing in their conversation indicated a serious need for further intervention, there's no need for any of this to go further than for him to issue his citation and go on his way. But he chose to escalate it, and has no reason for doing so. "He wasn't prohibited from doing that" does not substitute for a reason to escalate.

NervousXtian

Do you think he should have asked her to exit the car, escalating the situation, just because she didn't put out her cigarette? I'll even say she's a jerk for not putting out a cigarette, I hate being around smoke, but I don't see how that in any way should give the officer the right to escalate the situation and give her a hard time for something so petty.

Dude, stop for a second.

How is asking to just exit a vehicle escalation.

It's only escalation if the person doesn't comply.

Seriously, think about that.. how the fuck is asking someone to exit a vehicle escalation.

I mean seriously, think about that. Exiting a vehicle is NOT escalation, it's literally exiting a damn vehicle.

Police are allowed to ask people to get out of their cars for reasons of officer safety when the situation calls for it. It's a power they're granted for a very specific purpose, and "sticking it to people who have annoyed me" isn't on that list.

This is wrong, he can have her exit for any reason, it's within his rights, and exiting a vehicle is not escalation in and of itself.

Just want to let you it's really not worth your time, good post however. They are so engraved in their way of thinking. It's never anyone's fault but the officers, even if he made a legal stop and gave legal orders.

Wow, what a pathetic backhanded strawman argument.

Make your case instead unsupported assertions.

A woman was turning her life around but for some reason had to go to jail for failing to make a turn signal. I have been fucked with cops like that too (riding while brown) this case is so fucked.

Dude, stop for a second.

Seriously, think about that.. how the fuck is asking someone to exit a vehicle escalation.

I mean seriously, think about that. Exiting a vehicle is NOT escalation, it's literally exiting a damn vehicle.
Probably the part where he's so amped to light her up that he doesn't answer why.

Since he never answered, all we can go on is his obvious body and verbal language that says he was just annoyed that she wasn't responding in a way he appreciated.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Dude, stop for a second.

The officer even said that he was just going to let her off with a warning. The ONLY reason he asked her to exit the car was because she didn't put out her cigarette. Something she was not legally required to do. This officer, his ego bruised was now going to put this woman in her place for daring to defy him. He was going to make her exit the car and frisk her, for no reason except she didn't put out a cigarette in her own car.

YES. That is him escalating the situation.

NervousXtian

Probably the part where he's so amped to light her up that he doesn't answer why.

She continually refused it, he told her it's a lawful order, told her she was wrong, and she still refused.. he only got the taser out after he then tried grab her out and she resisted again.

Are you even watching the same video?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
This is wrong, he can have her exit for any reason, it's within his rights, and exiting a vehicle is not escalation in and of itself.

That's the whole problem. An officer should not have the right to order someone out of their car for for annoying them. For giving them a hard time. An officer should NOT be allowed to take their frustrations out on the public, which is exactly what this officer did.

She continually refused it, he told her it's a lawful order, told her she was wrong, and she still refused.. he only got the taser out after he then tried grab her out and she resisted again.

Yep!

It's not illegal to ask why, but she got threatened for doing so, and then she got taken down for it. Not sure why you're defending a cop who we can see lied about being assaulted, who created and continuously escalated a situation that didn't need it, who protected no one, and who contributed to a human being's death.

NervousXtian

The officer even said that he was just going to let her off with a warning. The ONLY reason he asked her to exit the car was because she didn't put out her cigarette. Something she was not legally required to do. This officer, his ego bruised was now going to put this woman in her place for daring to defy him. He was going to make her exit the car and frisk her, for no reason except she didn't put out a cigarette in her own car.

Asking someone to exit a vehicle is not escalation unless the other party makes it so. It takes someone to be defiant for this to happen.

I can say outright he was being a dick to her after she gave him attitude, and who knows what happens if she exits the vehicle.. but more than likely it's not her being arrested.

minx

Hard for me to say if he should have without taking into consideration the events we know now in which he had no clue would occur. Cigarette smoke is a huge annoyance for me so I have asked people to put out their cigs before and they have always complied. Cigs on a stop is also an easy way to cover up the smell of drugs or alcohol consumption. Not saying she was hiding anything just giving examples why I ask people to put it out. If someone refused to do so would I ask them to exit? Possibly. If it was at the end of a stop with a warning in my hand? Probably not.

You completely failed to address the fact that he made a U-turn to chase her WHEN HE HAD NO PROBABLE CAUSE.

And you are really delusional if you think he would have just given her a warning if she put out the cigarette. I mean really delusional. He chase her for no reason. He threatened to 'Light her up'. He slammed her on the ground. He arrested HER for assault . . . did he ever show any fear or apprehension in that video? Nope.

Like I posted earlier.... Some people can't be rational.

We know thess kinds of cops if you are a minority or dare use your rights. They get all high and mighty and try to beat you down.

I honestly did not realize how many people are on the police's side in this thread. I think i need to make an exit before i say something that shouldnt be said.
Yall have a good night with this.

Tell us how society benefits from chasing people with no probable cause, then pulling them over because they failed to signal, then escalating the situation because his power-tripping ego is bruised such that he assaults them, slams them to the ground, puts them in jail.

Is that good use of our tax-dollars? That police time. Another policeman. The booking. The legal system.

All for a small man's bruised ego? All for person that did NOTHING wrong until the police chased her.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Asking someone to exit a vehicle is not escalation unless the other party makes it so. It takes someone to be defiant for this to happen.

I can say outright he was being a dick to her after she gave him attitude, and who knows what happens if she exits the vehicle.. but more than likely it's not her being arrested.

Answer me this.

What did she do to make this officer go from giving her a warning, to making her step out of the car. What LAW did she break that allowed that officer to escalate his interaction with her from a warning, to making her exit the car for a pat down?

You're right that cops are allowed to have people exit their car for no reason. AND THAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM. Cops are legally allowed to escalate situations for no reason than someone mouthing off to them.

I honestly did not realize how many people are on the police's side in this thread. I think i need to make an exit before i say something that shouldnt be said.

As someone who has been fucked with cops in the past, there are good ones but the dickheads make the news.

Like I posted earlier.... Some people can't be rational.

Yes, that officer certainly wasn't. And his own police force agreed he wasn't rational.

But there are still authoritarians that defend that misbehavior. It really is irrational.

Steven McCraw, the director of the Department of Public Safety, told reporters Tuesday that the trooper did not comply with procedure, including by failing to let Bland know what action he planned to take and by failing to be courteous and professional.

The trooper has been placed on administrative leave.

minx

saw the video, and like i stated a few times, it came out by expert analysts the footage was edited, so unless you believe everything you hear ("malfunction") then that's on you

You didn't even address what I posted... You just replied back with some conspiracy about the video being edited which A. Hasn't been proven to my knowledge (unless you can show me proof of this?) and B. Has nothing to do with what I quoted you about.

Dude, stop for a second.

It is 100% escalation. In different situations, it could be a legitimate tool for an officer to use, but in those situations, there will actually be something to justify why he did it. And in this scenario, he has nothing.

And I'll add this in here, because what I say is going especially to this mindset:

You seem to be making the common assumption that if it was legal for the cop to do it, then it was proper for the cop to do it. It's situations like this that put the lie to that. The only reason the officer actually had to ask her to step out was to screw with her. He's legally allowed to do that, but it serves no purpose in the realm of effective policing. It's just him trying to display his authority while flaunting his total lack of any actual professionalism. And it's a terrible sign that a person whose job involves conflict mediation reacts so poorly to someone telling him they weren't going to do something he couldn't command them to do.

Zornack

He didn't legally tell her why after she asked over a dozen times.

A police officer doesn't have to tell you why they're arresting you as they're arresting you. You have to be informed, but not as a physical confrontation is taking place.

Also, he doesn't have to put her under arrest to remove her from the car. She was under arrest for not complying with the officer's orders and for physically resisting him.

NervousXtian

Answer me this.

What did she do to make this officer go from giving her a warning, to making her step out of the car. What LAW did she break that allowed that officer to escalate his interaction with her from a warning, to making her exit the car for a pat down?

You're right that cops are allowed to have people exit their car for no reason. AND THAT'S THE FUCKING PROBLEM. Cops are legally allowed to escalate situations for no reason than someone mouthing off to them.

You don't know he was doing a pat down. Maybe he didn't want smoke coming in his face, maybe he was just mad she was giving a bunch of attitude, I dunno.. I'm not him.. but he was legally able to have her exit to finish the stop.

There's nothing wrong with that... what was wrong was her thinking she knew her rigsht and she didn't know them at all.

People these days watch some shit on the internet or have some friend tell them all kinds of shit about how to deal with cops and their rights, and a lot of that info is wrong.

If you're going to use the "my rights" thing with cops it's best you actually know them.

As someone who has been fucked with cops in the past, there are good ones but the dickheads make the news.

trust me i know. I know my fair share of good cops, but most of my life i dealt with bad cops who basically racially profile me constantly because i am tanned skinned (egyptian) driving around a black car (mercedes benz) with some semi tinted windows (well within the legal limit)

I dealt with 2 this week, one who claimed I stole my car despite showing my registration, proof of purchase of the car ( which i keep in my car for this very reason now) and all other materials. When I requested his supervisor comes out, he withdrew a bit, but still did it. Supervisor let me off while apologizing and saying he will report the other cop.

The other was for "illegal tints" and despite showing him proof that it isnt illegal he was prepared to arrest me. It wasnt only til his supervisor came out, in which he finally turned on his camera, pretending it was a routine traffic stop. I said it wasn't and showed the supervisor the footage i had recorded from my cellphone about it, which he said I should be on my way. However, before I was let go, the officer who had my License gave me a speeding ticket of 110 that he had already wrote when I was pulled over. I wasn't speeding and the supervisor said he will be there at court with his account when i dispute it. :/

So I may have a bit of a bias against cops, mainly because they fuck with me so many times in the past, even for following the law.

You didn't even address what I posted... You just replied back with some conspiracy about the video being edited which A. Hasn't been proven to my knowledge (unless you can show me proof of this?) and B. Has nothing to do with what I quoted you about.

you didnt address anything. all you said was "Watch the video, he stated he had a warning in his hand and was going to leave it at that. Read the thread. She didn't know what she could and couldn't do."

if you want the proof, go look at my past posts in this thread. I posted it before. The proof is in the LA Times and NY Times as well too. It's obvious at this point you are police by profession so I choose not to engage you despite i already refuted your points.

You don't know he was doing a pat down. Maybe he didn't want smoke coming in his face, maybe he was just mad she was giving a bunch of attitude, I dunno.. I'm not him.. but he was legally able to have her exit to finish the stop.

There's nothing wrong with that... what was wrong was her thinking she knew her rigsht and she didn't know them at all.

People these days watch some shit on the internet or have some friend tell them all kinds of shit about how to deal with cops and their rights, and a lot of that info is wrong.

If you're going to use the "my rights" thing with cops it's best you actually know them.

Perhaps you should give that police department a call and explain to them how they are wrong to put that guy on administrative leave for not following procedure. Apparently you know Texas law enforcement procedure much better than Texas law enforcement knows their own procedure. The internet has such experts.

You might want to stop arguing with the strawman. No one has said he couldn't legally do it. What they've said is that it serves no purpose, and therefore is not justified. That he could legally give that order does not mean it was justified in giving it.

trust me i know. I know my fair share of good cops, but most of my life i dealt with bad cops who basically racially profile me constantly because i am tanned skinned (egyptian) driving around a black car (mercedes benz) with some semi tinted windows (well within the legal limit)

I dealt with 2 this week, one who claimed I stole my car despite showing my registration, proof of purchase of the car ( which i keep in my car for this very reason now) and all other materials. When I requested his supervisor comes out, he withdrew a bit, but still did it. Supervisor let me off while apologizing and saying he will report the other cop.

The other was for "illegal tints" and despite showing him proof that it isnt illegal he was prepared to arrest me. It wasnt only til his supervisor came out, in which he finally turned on his camera, pretending it was a routine traffic stop. I said it wasn't and showed the supervisor the footage i had recorded from my cellphone about it, which he said I should be on my way. However, before I was let go, the officer who had my License gave me a speeding ticket of 110 that he had already wrote when I was pulled over. I wasn't speeding and the supervisor said he will be there at court with his account when i dispute it. :/

So I may have a bit of a bias against cops, mainly because they fuck with me so many times in the past, even for following the law.

you didnt address anything. all you said was "Watch the video, he stated he had a warning in his hand and was going to leave it at that. Read the thread. She didn't know what she could and couldn't do."

if you want the proof, go look at my past posts in this thread. I posted it before. The proof is in the LA Times and NY Times as well too. It's obvious at this point you are a police by profession so I choose not to engage you despite i already refuted your points.

I feel you man, especially when I had a fade, rolling with my boys in BMWs and Caddys pulling us over and finding nothing. But I have also had cops that were civil and other ones that helped me out at my lowest point in live so I feel for them.

Yrael

State Trooper Brian Encinia: Hello ma’am. We’re the Texas Highway Patrol and the reason for your stop is because you failed to signal the lane change. Do you have your driver’s license and registration with you? What’s wrong? How long have you been in Texas?

Sandra Bland: Got here just today.

Encinia: OK. Do you have a driver's license? (Pause) OK, where you headed to now? Give me a few minutes.

(Bland inaudible)

(Encinia returns to his car for several minutes, then approaches Bland again.)

Encinia: OK, ma'am. (Pause.) You OK?

Bland: I'm waiting on you. This is your job. I'm waiting on you. When're you going to let me go?

Encinia: I don't know, you seem very really irritated.

Bland: I am. I really am. I feel like it's crap what I'm getting a ticket for. I was getting out of your way. You were speeding up, tailing me, so I move over and you stop me. So yeah, I am a little irritated, but that doesn’t stop you from giving me a ticket, so [inaudible] ticket.

Encinia: Are you done?

Bland: You asked me what was wrong, now I told you.

Encinia: OK.

Bland: So now I'm done, yeah.

Encinia: You mind putting out your cigarette, please? If you don't mind?

Bland: I'm in my car, why do I have to put out my cigarette?

Encinia: Well you can step on out now.

Bland: I don’t have to step out of my car.

Encinia: Step out of the car.

Bland: Why am I ...

Encinia: Step out of the car!

Bland: No, you don’t have the right. No, you don't have the right.

Encinia: Step out of the car.

Bland: You do not have the right. You do not have the right to do this.

Encinia: I do have the right, now step out or I will remove you.

Bland: I refuse to talk to you other than to identify myself. [crosstalk] I am getting removed for a failure to signal?

Encinia: Step out or I will remove you. I’m giving you a lawful order.

Get out of the car now or I’m going to remove you.

Bland: And I’m calling my lawyer.

Encinia: I’m going to yank you out of here. (Reaches inside the car.)

Bland: OK, you’re going to yank me out of my car? OK, alright.

Encinia (calling in backup): 2547.

Bland: Let’s do this.

Encinia: Yeah, we’re going to. (Grabs for Bland.)

Bland: Don’t touch me!

Encinia: Get out of the car!

Bland: Don’t touch me. Don't touch me! I’m not under arrest -- you don't have the right to take me out of the car.

Encinia: You are under arrest!

Bland: I’m under arrest? For what? For what? For what?

Encinia (to dispatch): 2547 county fm 1098 (inaudible) send me another unit. (To Bland) Get out of the car! Get out of the car now!

Bland: Why am I being apprehended? You're trying to give me a ticket for failure ...

Encinia: I said get out of the car!

Bland: Why am I being apprehended? You just opened my --

Encinia: I‘m giving you a lawful order. I’m going to drag you out of here.

Bland: So you’re threatening to drag me out of my own car?

Encinia: Get out of the car!

Bland: And then you’re going to [crosstalk] me?

Encinia: I will light you up! Get out! Now! (Draws stun gun and points it at Bland.)

Bland: Wow. Wow. (Bland exits car.)​

I honestly don't know how anyone can read this transcript, watch the incident happen on video, and say that the trooper wasn't unnecessarily escalating the situation.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

So if someone annoys a cop, and does nothing more than refuse to put out a cigarette, you think a cop should be able to escalate the situation and give them a hard time? Because this cop was not going to do anything more. The ONLY reason he had her exit that car was because she refused to do something that she had no legal obligation to do.

Yes, it would have been the polite thing to do, but unless Texas has some law about smoking in your own car, she was doing nothing wrong, and if this poor cop has such a problem with smoke, then he never should have been on the street.

Cop could have sucked it up for 10 more seconds and sent her on her way. But no, he had to put the woman in her place. She defied him, and she did so legally. But supercop here wasn't going to have someone defy him. HE IS THE LAW! So out of the car she comes. For no other reason than she was legally smoking a cigarette.

23qwerty

well when we got a cop in here which is a bit nauseating.. what can you expect

Zornack

So if someone annoys a cop, and does nothing more than refuse to put out a cigarette, you think a cop should be able to escalate the situation and give them a hard time? Because this cop was not going to do anything more. The ONLY reason he had her exit that car was because she refused to do something that she had no legal obligation to do.

Yes, it would have been the polite thing to do, but unless Texas has some law about smoking in your own car, she was doing nothing wrong, and if this poor cop has such a problem with smoke, then he never should have been on the street.

Cop could have sucked it up for 10 more seconds and sent her on her way. But no, he had to put the woman in her place. She defied him, and she did so legally. But supercop here wasn't going to have someone defy him. HE IS THE LAW! So out of the car she comes. For no other reason than she was legally smoking a cigarette.

Asking someone who has been pulled over to leave their vehicle is not escalating the situation.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Asking someone who has been pulled over to leave their vehicle is not escalating the situation.

You would be right if he asked her to exit the vehicle immediately. He didn't. Him asking her to step out of the car had nothing to do with the traffic stop. It was for nothing more than her being in a bad mood, and not putting out a cigarette. Neither of which is against the law.

And again, I know that he cop was legally in his rights. I just think it's wrong that a cop is allowed to take his frustrations out on the public. You might have no problem with that, but I do.

How do you somehow think this is true? She's sitting in the car, he's outside, and nothing about their positions is impeding either of them from transacting the business at hand.

He's legally allowed to ask her to get out of the car, but he has no reason to ask it other than to bark an order at her because he dislikes her tone. That's escalation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom