• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandra Bland Found Dead in TX Jail, Police Say Suicide, Family Disagrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I see this thread at the top of the page, I think it's Sandra Bullock and I gasp.

edit.. .Then I remember what actually happened and gasp again.

komplanen

People want this to be a scandalous racist killing by cops so much that they are saying she's dead in the mug shot? Because of her hair and shoulder position?

Wow

Weevilone

This is a lower standard than the one imposed on marines patrolling the streets of Baghdad. How many cops died in roadside bombings last year?

So your preferred approach is what, to make movements that cause a person with a lethal weapon that's outside your car to think maybe you are taking a weapon out of the glove compartment? You think that's a good idea, based in the premise that we should live in a perfect world?

There is so much laughable conspiracy mongering here. There is no possible evidence that will satisfy some people.

Aurongel

Every angle of this thread disturbs me:

-The cop detaining her to begin with
-An innocent woman killing herself
-Conspiracy theories to fit a "fuck the police" narrative instead of focusing on the matter at hand
-Saying she's dead in the mugshot (seriously...)
-Doxxing the (alleged) family of the cops involved

This is turning into a wild spectacle for a poor woman who killed herself. It's not a fucking soapbox for conspiracy nuts to preach from, it's a fucking tragedy that shouldn't have happened.

PopeReal

Let's be clear. The conspiracy theory nuts have no bearing on the fact that this woman should not have been in jail in the first place. The cop is a fucking idiot and started this whole thing because someone was smoking in their own car.

Once she was in jail she was then under care of the police, and now she is dead.

Stay focused on these points.

Getting worked up over internet conspiracy theories in this case seems disingenuous at least, and petty at best.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No indictment for Prison Workers.

http://www.click2houston.com/news/grand-jury-hears-final-evidence-in-sandra-bland-case

A Waller County Grand Jury declined to indict any county jail employees in the case of Sandra Bland's death, KPRC 2 News has learned.

The grand jury heard evidence in the Bland case for more than eight hours Monday.
More News Headlines

There are other indictments the grand jury is considering, but the county would not go into detail.

The grand jury will reconvene again sometime in January

Wonder what the other indictments could be if not against the employees. The Jail/County/City maybe?

Volimar

I hate to say it but reasonable doubt is easy enough to find in this case if you're looking for it. As someone who lost his sister to a police officer I feel so sad that that family won't get the justice they deserve.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm glad we waited for the investigation. One again, charges in the war on police are discovered to be unfounded.

The informed Facebook commenters agree:
Edward Martin ·
Poteet, Texas
Sandra Bland committed suicide and the family has no one to blame but themselves for not bailing Sandra out. Sandra did this to herself and while tragic, again the family only has themselves to blame.

They received answers as to what happened but they constantly refuse to accept the truth. They keep saying, What happened to Sandra, but they know. They're just looking for a ghetto lottery!! Accept the truth, move on and point the finger at yourself, Ms Veal!!
Edward Martin ·
Poteet, Texas
It seems that by her suicide that none of her family nor friends truly cared about her problem and need for bail. Her friend in Texas even replayed a missed message he had on his cell, when Sandra called from jail for help. Sandra's sister even stated to news media that she refused to bail Sandra out of jail. Who does the family have to blame, themselves. Regardless if Sandra was white, brown, yellow or pink with purple polka dots, Sandra mouthed off to a trooper disobeyed a lawful order and assaulted a public servant. She got arrested for that, no one came to her aide and she committed suicide. Tragic but end of story.
John Whitte ·
Trabajador at Trelleborg (Slagelse)
Self inflicted how would they bring charges to someone that killed themselves)

Robert Johnson Parrott ·
Raleigh, North Carolina
Only because she is black and the arresting officer was white. USA Today is not interested in presenting the facts, just race baiting. I guess that makes more money for them.
Greg Gilbert ·
SEMO
Surprised they even put it up to a grand jury, but then again with today's witch hunting cop climate maybe I'm not. There certainly could be civil negligence with her hanging but of course there isn't criminal negligence.
Ric Hall
It's interesting how her family wasn't there for her until after she died. Now they want the answers to get the money for the life they didn't care about.
Garth Hogan ·
Sheridan, Wyoming
She commited suicide. Sucks that by her selfish actions she has made the decision for those that loved an cared for her to not give them a voice in this

noshten

CWzecAUXAAAj_HT.png:large

Well that's pretty much the crux of the situation. I don't know what's more terrifying the fact that this is still happening or the fact that there is no justice for victims when it happens.

Guevara

The way they treated her was fucked up, but I guess not actually criminal. According to the jury anyway.

I don't really get Bernie's comment, unless you think she killed herself BECAUSE she was so mistreated (due to race). But I think everyone has come to the conclusion she killed herself.

Zoe

The way they treated her was fucked up, but I guess not actually criminal. According to the jury anyway.

I don't really get Bernie's comment, unless you think she killed herself BECAUSE she was so mistreated (due to race). But I think everyone has come to the conclusion she killed herself.

I think the idea is that they would have given more thorough screening and surveillance.

Mudcrab

So we have no idea what the other indictments the grand jury is reconvening for in January? When would we be able to find out?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So we have no idea what the other indictments the grand jury is reconvening for in January? When would we be able to find out?

I saw a clip on The Today Show that said they are considering charges against the officer. Though, from a totally objective standpoint, I can't imagine what he could be charged with in relation to her death. I assume once he dropped her off at the facility he had no further contact with her.

Be nice if he got an unlawful arrest charge, or at the bare minimum gets fired.

She should not have been arrested. But there is no evidence she was murdered, and given the facts of the case it seems more likely she committed suicide. Obviously the police put her in that position. Not sure what type of criminal charges could be pursued in a case like this.

So um

How?

The best-case scenario in reality for the people at the jail is that they were responsible for ensuring that such a thing does not happen. At best, she killed herself and they fucked up. How are they not on the hook for anything?

Unless I missed a detail of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom