• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandra Bland Found Dead in TX Jail, Police Say Suicide, Family Disagrees

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will go to my grave believing these cops murdered her and did a cover up.

Anyone who actually trusts the police in situations like this is a willful fool and part of the reason cops get away with so much corrupt crap in the first place.

It's less about trust than evidence and the situation. I just don't see the evidence required to prompt me to believe this is a conspiracy. And given her mental health situation it's not ridiculous to suggest she attempted suicide (again) and succeeded. Did the police put her in this situation with their bullshit? Sure. But I don't believe she was murdered. And the people claiming she was with no evidence or bullshit evidence (see: DeRay) should be ashamed of themselves.

The lack of mental health treatment is an epidemic in this country. Regardless of race.

Seriously, so no discussion should ever be made how to react in a traffic stop because if things go wrong you're a victim and we should only discuss the cop.

I think the problem is that there probably shouldn't be a protocol for how to behave during a traffic stop, so long you are obeying the law. They common myth is that police are servants of the public. If that were the case, there'd be no need to treat officers with any kind of special care.

People are rude to each other every day. People are disrespectful to each other every day. People get into heated arguments every day. But it's only with the police that people float the idea that if you engage in this kind of low level belligerence, that you should prepare yourself for violent, even lethal, retaliation.

8byte

Banned
I know it's not a guarantee, but if you were going to put some kind of risk assessment value on compliance vs non-compliance.. we know which way that pendulum swings heavily. It's towards compliance.

I can separate civilian behavior from police behavior, because they are 2 entirely different things. Again, we aren't discussing a stop where the person was being compliant, so thus the calls of victim blaming towards me don't really apply.

If we were discussing someone doing everything right, and still got killed/shot/arrested.. then you wouldn't at all see me make an argument at all.. that's a pure victim 100%.

The cop being a dick doesn't excuse her not exiting.

She refused his order, not sure how many times it needs to be said.. it went beyond being mouthy. I never once said being mouthy should mean you get arrested, I said it's best not to be, but I never said that's the only thing she did wrong. She was fine until she refused the order. Against procedure or not, at that time you get out of the car, by refusing it she got arrested.

Again, that all could have been thrown out at court if they felt he needly escalated it, but even the ACLU will tell you, if asked, get out.

Not sure at all what your point has to do with her refusing to get out. That's not behaving badly, that's disobeying a lawful order.

Orders are only lawful if there is just cause.

Not putting out your cigg is not justification enough for an order to be considered lawful, and everything after that point was a violation of her civil rights. Period.

jond76

Banned
I'm very much aware that there are cops out there that do the right things and that truly serve their community..

Unfortunately until the good cops start speaking out against these murderers in an honest and frank way, I can't respect them.

You word it as if every good cop knows at least one murderous cop and just keeps quiet about it.

Seriously, so no discussion should ever be made how to react in a traffic stop because if things go wrong you're a victim and we should only discuss the cop.

I really hate this "victim blame" card, as it's 100% used to stop discussion... nothing else.

There is no discussion to your side. The only thing she could have done was give him a different attitude or comply earlier(because she did get out of the car). There it has been discussed. So much nuance to be discussed about that. Yet we are the ones closing discussion.

Nitsuj23

I'm very much aware that there are cops out there that do the right things and that truly serve their community..

Unfortunately until the good cops start speaking out against these murderers in an honest and frank way, I can't respect them.

That officer has spoken about the string of murders and stated there needs to be more communication with the community they're policing. He's addressed the issue. Your words stated once a cop does that, your stance will change. The cop spoke out, your stance didn't change.

I bolded a contradiction in your thinking.

Imm0rt4l

That officer has spoken about the string of murders and stated there needs to be more communication with the community they're policing. He's addressed the issue. Your words stated once a cop does that, your stance will change. The cop spoke out, your stance didn't change.

I bolded a contradiction in your thinking.
I believe he's talking about cops speaking up on their fellow policemen.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Orders are only lawful if there is just cause.

Not putting out your cigg is not justification enough for an order to be considered lawful, and everything after that point was a violation of her civil rights. Period.

A cop doesn't need cause to ask you to exit a vehicle. It might of been against procedure though, thus he's on desk duty, but it's not against the law to ask someone.

There is no discussion to your side. The only thing she could have done was give him a different attitude or comply earlier(because she did get out of the car). There it has been discussed. So much nuance to be discussed about that. Yet we are the ones closing discussion.

Well, see that was easy, now we can stop talking in circles about it.

Was it that hard to admit she did things wrong.. it's not the end of the world. On a discussion forum we can discuss both cops being pieces of shit and what we should do when pulled over.

I think the problem is that there probably shouldn't be a protocol for how to behave during a traffic stop, so long you are obeying the law. They common myth is that police are servants of the public. If that were the case, there'd be no need to treat officers with any kind of special care.

People are rude to each other every day. People are disrespectful to each other every day. People get into heated arguments every day. But it's only with the police that people float the idea that if you engage in this kind of low level belligerence, that you should prepare yourself for violent, even lethal, retaliation.

We have protocols for all kinds of shit we shouldn't have to bother with. Be it locking your car up at the mall, locking your door at home, women should keep an eye on their drink at a club, you should be aware of your surroundings walking alone at night, etc... etc.. etc..

BTW, I do NOT at all advocate police violence. Yet, acting like you should just wait for cops to do the right thing, you know that's not always going to work in your favor.

BTW, I do NOT at all advocate police violence. Yet, acting like you should just wait for cops to do the right thing, you know that's not always going to work in your favor.

What is it you're looking for in this thread? Really, what's the end outcome of your arguments? We all lament that it's fucking sad that we do need to watch our drinks and not rile up cops lest we get raped and killed?

When the fuck are we going to talk about teaching men not to put shit in drinks? About teaching cops to shelve their egos? When are we going to talk frankly about real solutions to the causes of these problems instead of band-aid solutions that sometimes keep people safe?

collige

Banned
I don't recall reading any details where the trash bag had to support her weight. I remember seeing an episode of a TV show (The Wire?) or some movie where the guy killed himself by tying something to a doorknob and then leaning back to asphyxiate himself. It's possible that she did something similar.

The irony here is that in The Wire that guy was actually murdered in prison and was set up to make it look like a suicide. The detective then proved that it was impossible to die in that position.

NervousXtian

What is it you're looking for in this thread? Really, what's the end outcome of your arguments? We all lament that it's fucking sad that we do need to watch our drinks and not rile up cops lest we get raped and killed?

When the fuck are we going to talk about teaching men not to put shit in drinks? About teaching cops to shelve their egos? When are we going to talk frankly about real solutions to the causes of these problems instead of band-aid solutions that sometimes keep people safe?

So go right to the rape and killing, ignore the stealing.. no agenda right? There's campaigns to tell men not to rape, there's training to police on how to de-escalate, there's laws against stealing. Yet all these things occur. We can call out the sign in a parking garage to lock your car as blaming victims?

Want to talk real solutions, let's do it. What solution to you have in mind?

Because until all cops aren't assholes, I'm best going to protect myself. Until people stop stealing shit, I'm locking my shit up. Until men stop raping women by dropping drugs in drinks, we tell women to keep an eye on their drinks. There's many other things we do everyday in life to minimize harm.

We can do both.

Weevilone

Police are in a unique position to be on the receiving end of aggression and violent behavior as part of the normal course of performing their jobs. They are trained for many different situations, and one of them is assessing risk during encounters with the public, and ensuring that they can return home after each shift. The public should understand this, and therefore should behave in a way that doesn't trigger an unwanted response from law enforcement during these same encounters. Don't want any sort of retaliation? Don't escalate the situation or behave in a manner that might be interpreted as threatening.

PopeReal

Police are in a unique position to be on the receiving end of aggression and violent behavior as part of the normal course of performing their jobs. They are trained for many different situations, and one of them is assessing risk during encounters with the public, and ensuring that they can return home after each shift. The public should understand this, and therefore should behave in a way that doesn't trigger an unwanted response from law enforcement during these same encounters. Don't want any sort of retaliation? Don't escalate the situation or behave in a manner that might be interpreted as threatening.

Would being upset that you got pulled over count as threatening?

So go right to the rape and killing, ignore the stealing.. no agenda right?

And yet it's everyone else who is shutting down discussion, right?

There's campaigns to tell men not to rape, there's training to police on how to de-escalate, there's laws against stealing. Yet all these things occur. We can call out the sign in a parking garage to lock your car as blaming victims?

Want to talk real solutions, let's do it. What solution to you have in mind?

Because until all cops aren't assholes, I'm best going to protect myself. Until people stop stealing shit, I'm locking my shit up. Until men stop raping women by dropping drugs in drinks, we tell women to keep an eye on their drinks. There's many other things we do everyday in life to minimize harm.

We can do both.

Of course we can do both. But in terms of police -- and to an extent, dealing with rape -- we need to stop protecting perpetrators from the top down. Punitive measures to those who help cover up, penalties to reporters who report in unbalanced ways, an and to rhetoric that focuses on victim blaming while acting like there's no solution. My god, we've got cops shooting at targets with young black men on them and we are surprised when they exhibit racist behavior. There are dozens and dozens of solutions we can undertake, from minute to enormous, but instead we run around acting like victims are solely to blame and lamenting the fact that there's just nothing we can do.

Well, see that was easy, now we can stop talking in circles about it.

Was it that hard to admit she did things wrong.. it's not the end of the world. On a discussion forum we can discuss both cops being pieces of shit and what we should do when pulled over.

She did nothing wrong. She could have done things differently. It's already been discussed plenty. From you and others.

This is a lower standard than the one imposed on marines patrolling the streets of Baghdad. How many cops died in roadside bombings last year?

spookyfish

Being a bit of a jerk to an officer should not give the officer the right to escalate the situation. And it was the cop who escalated the situation.

Dude had to exercise his right to get his manhood back after a woman -- A WOMAN!! -- told him she was in her car and didn't have to do what he said.

NervousXtian

She did nothing wrong. She could have done things differently. It's already been discussed plenty. From you and others.

I'm glad you went all ad hominem with your edit there, yet agree with me in part.

Toxic? That's a new one tossed at me here.

I'm glad you went all ad hominem with your edit there, yet agree with me in part.

Toxic? That's a new one tossed at me here.

It's no secret that I find your rhetoric victim blaming and dangerous at least, oppressive at worst. I didn't say you as a person were toxic so I don't think ad hominem applies. Your words would represent your position no?

NervousXtian

It's no secret that I find your rhetoric victim blaming and dangerous at least, oppressive at worst. I didn't say you as a person were toxic so I don't think ad hominem applies. Your words would represent your position no?

You called my words toxic, my words are me.. so yes you called me toxic.

If you think what I said is dangerous, I don't know what to say to you. The fact you attack me instead of actually really making valid points shows more about you than it does my points.

You called my words toxic, my words are me.. so yes you called me toxic.

If you think what I said is dangerous, I don't know what to say to you. The fact you attack me instead of actually really making valid points shows more about you than it does my points.

If that's how you feel I suppose you are literally a man of your word. Most people just use words to convey ideas that stem from the very valuable other parts of you as a person. Your thoughts, your actions, your emotions, your character. I suppose my estimation was too high. I assumed you had value outside of your conversations on the internet.

You word it as if every good cop knows at least one murderous cop and just keeps quiet about it.
I know in my city there are at least three cops who have confirmed killings of black people and a mentally ill white person without a good reason and are still employed. It's constantly protested.

NervousXtian

If that's how you feel I suppose you are literally a man of your word. Most people just use words to convey ideas that stem from the very valuable other parts of you as a person. Your thoughts, your actions, your emotions, your character. I suppose my estimation was too high. I assumed you had value outside of your conversations on the internet.

Seriously? More attacks.. enjoy yourself, I'm done even attempting discussion with you.

Seriously? More attacks.. enjoy yourself, I'm done even attempting discussion with you.

Back handed but it was certainly a compliment. I thought you were an otherwise nice person who held a silly position or said some silly things on the internet. That's why I took care to distinguish. You are the one who chose to be completely encompassed by that identity.

Hopefully this will stop the tinfoil hat conspiracies about her being dead for her mugshot or dead before she got to prison.

That video has been doctored.

I can't believe anyone actually thinks she's alive in the mugshot. It's so clear she's dead in the photo.

Agreed--I think the situation is even worse with cops. Asshole rapists aren't usually paid by the state. If there is anyone that we should t tolerate "protect yourself" conversations about, it's the fucking people we pay to protect us.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Waller County says it is releasing the estimated seven hours of video that shows Bland being processed, booked, taking a mugshot, walking around the jail etc., to dispel rumors about her death.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/us/sandra-bland-jail-video-texas/

Hopefully this will stop the tinfoil hat conspiracies about her being dead for her mugshot or dead before she got to prison.

Yeah, I'd say that pretty much dispels the murder theory. She was alive.

But the burden of her death still lies with the jail and their lack of attention for a distraught person.

Fathom

Banned
Waller County says it is releasing the estimated seven hours of video that shows Bland being processed, booked, taking a mugshot, walking around the jail etc., to dispel rumors about her death.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/28/us/sandra-bland-jail-video-texas/

The mugshot video is fucking horrible, it could be literally any black woman who's ever lived. You can't tell it's her at all. If the rest of it is like that it doesn't disprove anything.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
The mugshot video is fucking horrible, it could be literally any black woman who's ever lived. You can't tell it's her at all. If the rest of it is like that it doesn't disprove anything.

yeah but that is the laziest assessment ever.

she is on the phone at one point in the video, that could probably be proved pretty quickly, no?

her friends and family could view the video, too, and provide some feedback or thoughts?

surely we could do some analysis over the video before going writing it off.....

Bracewell

How Sandra Bland died doesn't matter.

I mean, it totally matters.

She died in police custody, therefore the police were responsible for her well-being.

So hours of video footage of ms. Bland alive at the jail check.
Anonymous failing to deliver anything check.

Still waiting on the independent autopsy results, I'm guessing they largely track the me's findings on the controversial points otherwise they would likely have been released by now.

Hopefully that will be an end to that silliness, at least the dead for three days, dead in the mugshot business. Such a worthless distraction from the two main issues, the arrest and jail negligence.

Guevara

The AP is going with story that suggests either Bland used marijuana in jail, or had a tremendous amount in her system.

HEMPSTEAD, Texas (AP) — An initial toxicology report for Sandra Bland, who died in a Texas jail cell three days after her arrest during a traffic stop, raises the possibility that she may have used marijuana while in custody, two experts said.

The amount of THC, one of the active components of marijuana, in Bland's system was 18 micrograms per liter, according to the report released Monday. That's more than three times the legal limit for drivers in Colorado and Washington, states that permit the recreational use of marijuana.

"I don't think it's possible to rule out the possibility of use while in jail," said University of Florida toxicology professor Bruce Goldberger, who reviewed the report for The Associated Press. Bland was impaired by marijuana at the time of her death, Goldberger said.

Robert Johnson, chief toxicologist at the Tarrant County medical examiner's office in Fort Worth, Texas, told the AP that a THC level as high as Bland's suggests she "either had access to the drug in jail or she was a consistent user of the drug and her body had accumulated THC to the point that it was slowly releasing it over time."

But, Johnson added, "I have never seen a report in the literature or from any other source of residual THC that high three days after someone stops using the drug."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/9287...ort-shows-sandra-bland-may-have-used-pot-jail

Just weird, really.

So hours of video footage of ms. Bland alive at the jail check.
Anonymous failing to deliver anything check.

Still waiting on the independent autopsy results, I'm guessing they largely track the me's findings on the controversial points otherwise they would likely have been released by now.

Hopefully that will be an end to that silliness, at least the dead for three days, dead in the mugshot business. Such a worthless distraction from the two main issues, the arrest and jail negligence.
Just saw the footage. I'm sure people will still try and find something to discredit it and sadly totally agree all this silliness really takes away from the two main points you pointed out .

DarkFlow

Banned
Just saw the footage. I'm sure people will still try and find something to discredit it and sadly totally agree all this silliness really takes away from the two main points you pointed out .

You have no idea how right you are...

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It's just too their twitter page....On this very forums I read that people didn't think they would do anything so I figured a follow-up was in order. I'll delete it if necessary.
I mean, they didn't do anything except dox a bunch of people.

It's just too their twitter page....On this very forums I read that people didn't think they would do anything so I figured a follow-up was in order. I'll delete it if necessary.

Their claim was: We have the raw, unedited cut of Sandra Bland's death.

they have jack shit and have to resort to this sort of harassment, hopefully they haven't included folks like the secretaries business in this dump.

Disgusting behaviour by whoever posted that info to the public, (not the gaffer). Hopefully nobody is harmed, if so it should fall directly on whoever posted all the info. Fucking idiot. I've said it before, mob justice is fucking awful.

NervousXtian

That pastebin is terrible. Completely doxxed all the officers and listed family members.

They are asking for cops to stand up to the murderer, yet they have no proof she was murdered.

Sad when things go this way... nobody wins.. and this is not how you serve justice to Sandra Bland.

That video has been doctored.

I can't believe anyone actually thinks she's alive in the mugshot. It's so clear she's dead in the photo.

If photos aren't enough, videos aren't enough, the words of people who were in the jail with her isn't enough, an autopsy isn't enough, then what is? There's literally nothing left except for somehow transporting the conspiracy theorists back in time to that location to witness it all for themselves.

The conspiracy theorists have focused on her death instead of focusing on the systematic harassment that put her in that jail in the first place. It blurs the actual message.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom