• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saoirse Ronan Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Here's a new interview with New York Magazine. Previews for The Crucible kick off in a few weeks (the start date was actually slightly delayed following Saoirse's Oscar nomination) and the 20-week run, which begins March 31, ends July 17, so there's probably not going to be much -- if anything -- in the way of news for quite a while following the Oscars.

Filming for Lady Bird is supposed to kick off some time in the Spring, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's pushed back until after The Crucible has come and gone.

Edit: Here's the first half of the aforementioned NY Mag article, by the author of Brooklyn.

JaseC

Saoirse, along with Brooklyn author Colm Toibin, spoke at a UN panel regarding immigration following a special screening of the film. The video is up on the UN's site and runs for just under an hour. She pledged her support for Global Goal #16, which is "Peace, justice and strong institutions".

In other news, she's teamed up with musician Hozier for the music video of his new single "Cherry Wine", a song that puts the spotlight on domestic violence from the male perspective (as the victim, not the abuser). It'll be released on iTunes on Valentine's Day (tomorrow... or tomorrow-and-a-bit, depending on your time zone) and all proceeds will go to charities that assist victims of domestic violence.

JaseC

In other news, she's teamed up with musician Hozier for the music video of his new single "Cherry Wine", a song that puts the spotlight on domestic violence from the male perspective (as the victim, not the abuser).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdSCCwtNEjA

Needless to say that the video doesn't gel with reports that the song explores domestic violence from the perspective of a male victim. Either there was a misunderstanding or, given the release of the single essentially exists as a charity donation, the decision was made for the video to be from the female perspective out of concern that the inverse would unintentionally distract from the goal as female-on-male domestic violence is, by and large, an issue taken lightly at best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdSCCwtNEjA

Needless to say that the video doesn't gel with reports that the song explores domestic violence from the perspective of a male victim. Either there was a misunderstanding or, given the release of the single essentially exists as a charity donation, the decision was made for the video to be from the female perspective out of concern that the inverse would unintentionally distract from the goal as female-on-male domestic violence is, by and large, an issue taken lightly at best.

The lyrics seem to be about the female->male violence.

Anyway, she never falls short of amazing me how much emotions she is able to transport just with her eyes. It's incredible...

JaseC

The lyrics seem to be about the female->male violence.

Yeah, I read them after watching the video and was surprised -- and, to be frank, a little disappointed -- that it went in the other direction instead.

Anyway, she never falls short of amazing me how much emotions she is able to transport just with her eyes. It's incredible...

John Crowley said it best when he proclaimed that she would have been a great silent film actress.

Liamario

Banned
dGOlmY4.gif

oipic

McEwan, of course, also being the author of Atonement. IMDb has the film pencilled in for release some time in 2017.

Great news! The book was... an interesting read - not everyone's cup of tea, but I recall it fondly. Provided the adaptation hits the mark, the role of Florence should provide Saoirse with another great opportunity to display her acting chops.

It's not hard to imagine the book (novella?) adapted to the stage, really, so her theatre stint will probably stand her in great stead with this material, too, I think.

My initial reaction is that this is a great role for her, and very well suited (although I admittedly thought that years ago when Carey Mulligan was linked to the same role), but Saoirse's chemistry (?) with her Edward will be a key to the success of this - will await that bit of casting news with interest.

JaseC

Here's a nice little interview that aired on CBS Sunday Morning earlier. If you're outside of the US, you may need to use a proxy/VPN to watch it (ProxTube does the job if you're using Firefox). Includes a small peak at rehearsals for The Crucible.

She was really quite stunning in Brooklyn. Distractingly so even.Very solid and understated performance from her as well. Glad to see she's taking on these kinds of roles.

Toothless

She's quite lovely in The Grand Budapest Hotel and gives an excellent performance in Brooklyn. All I can really say about her.

JaseC

The odds were stacked against her in The Host. The only other remotely decent actor in the film is William Hurt, the script is terrible, the source is a Stephenie Meyer novel, and Niccol handled the dual character component in the most uninspired way possible. I wouldn't be surprised if she secretly regrets doing the film as not only did it bombing ostensibly damage her appeal in the eyes of producers of bigger-budget projects, but she was so excited to play two characters and the end result was, well, yeah.

Is anybody here going to see The Crucible? I'm thinking of hanging up my Steam game collector hat soon and skipping the Summer Sale this year in favour of spending at least a week in New York.

neoism

I have hated her since Atonement. She was terrible in the Host too.

I liked her in Host she did the best she could with that shit movie, but yeah she was an evil kid in Atonement, and hated her character... I really hope her and Joe Wright work together again... he is one of my fav directors
The odds were stacked against her in The Host. The only other remotely decent actor in the film is William Hurt, the script is terrible, the source is a Stephenie Meyer novel, and Niccol handled the dual character component in the most uninspired way possible. I wouldn't be surprised if she secretly regrets doing the film as not only did it bombing ostensibly damage her appeal in the eyes of producers of bigger-budget projects, but she was so excited to play two characters and the end result was, well, yeah.

Is anybody here going to see The Crucible? I'm thinking of hanging up my Steam game collector hat soon and skipping the Summer Sale this year in favour of spending at least a week in New York

tumblr_nd1b0sOAoh1r9o4rzo1_500.gif

BioFan

I first saw her in the host and didn't like her at all, but saw her in the lovely bones recently in HBO and thought she was so awesome and started to notice her.
Loved her performance in Brooklyn and I'm going to see Hannah, cos I haven't seen it yet.
She's one of my fav young actresses at the moment.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm sure she is great but I can't stand people with Irish names, 80% of the time they are pretentious arseholes.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You mean...Irish people? They tend to be the people with Irish names.

No they don't. Not that many Irish people have Irish names - i.e. the kind you can't pronounce. I'm guessing here but I'd put it at about 20% at best, and even then a lot of those names are Irish versions of names that originated elsewhere.

Catvoca

Banned
I'm sure she is great but I can't stand people with Irish names, 80% of the time they are pretentious arseholes.

This is really, really dumb. Judging Irish people because their names are Irish? Made up statistics in both your posts to support this? What the fuck does someone's name have to do with anything?

Markitron

This is really, really dumb. Judging Irish people because their names are Irish? Made up statistics in both your posts to support this? What the fuck does someone's name have to do with anything?

I am Irish, I can judge Irish people all I want! And my guesses were based on living here for 29 years of my life - this entitles me to make assertions. Most people here with overly Irish names are bellends, trust me :)

Catvoca

Banned
I am Irish, I can judge Irish people all I want! And my guesses were based on living here for 29 years of my life - this entitles me to make assertions. Most people here with overly Irish names are bellends, trust me :)

I'm Irish as well, and have not noticed this at all. I guess you could probably cast aspersions on the parents of people with Irish names (as in my experience they tend to be a certain sort...) but I haven't noticed anything pretentious about people with Irish names.

Markitron

I'm Irish as well, and have not noticed this at all. I guess you could probably cast aspersions on the parents of people with Irish names (as in my experience they tend to be a certain sort...) but I haven't noticed anything pretentious about people with Irish names.

Lol, no need to take it so personally mate, I think you know exactly what I am on about here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom