• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saoirse Ronan Appreciation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoin

I am Irish, I can judge Irish people all I want! And my guesses were based on living here for 29 years of my life - this entitles me to make assertions. Most people here with overly Irish names are bellends, trust me :)

If you say so...

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unsurprisingly, Saoirse's up for the Best Actress IFTA, which she has undoubtedly has in the bag. Brooklyn itself has a few other nominations: Best Supporting Actor in Domhnall Gleeson, Best Supporting Actress in Jane Brennan, Best Director in John Crowley and also Best Film.

Dicktatorship

CcV4iiSW0AAnZUi.jpg:med

She's grown up to be a lovely potato

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Why do people identify potatoes with the Irish anyway? I'm of mostly Irish descent and I love potatoes and feel as though I may be playing into a stereotype.
Potato famine was pretty important.
The history of the potato as a staple crop is quite interesting. Not many Europeans wanted it originally.

Classic food blight which can now be fought with genetic engineering.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_potato

A similar thing happened to Papaya plantations in Hawaii and was saved by biotechnology.

It's happening with Cavendish Bananas currently.

Par from the contrary, most our crops are hybrids or clones and therefore susceptible to resistant strains.

Some can just come upon by viruses or bacteria.

Goddam I went all nerdy.

JaseC

That interview is adorbs, though I still dislike Fallon.

Also she's a lot taller than I thought.

The high heels she's wearing are pretty bonkers. I'd say she's average height judging from this group photo back when she was doing press for The Host:

If Kruger weren't wearing high heels I'd guess that she'd still be a wee bit taller.

Symphonia

Banned
JaseC, I just thought I'd give you a heads up. I have recently discovered the joy that is Saoirse Ronan - and she is mine. I understand that, as of this moment, she is your waifu. I must inform you that is no longer the case. It is stated in an unwritten bro code somewhere that Saoirse Ronan is, by law and by fate, to be my wife.

Apologies.

Regards,
Symphonia

JaseC

JaseC, I just thought I'd give you a heads up. I have recently discovered the joy that is Saoirse Ronan - and she is mine. I understand that, as of this moment, she is your waifu. I must inform you that is no longer the case. It is stated in an unwritten bro code somewhere that Saoirse Ronan is, by law and by fate, to be my wife.

Apologies.

Regards,
Symphonia

You win some, you lose some. :p

JaseC

"Rise from your grave!, etc. The Gentlewoman published online the full interview it did last year and it's a great read. She was also interviewed by Time a little earlier this year as part of its Next Generation Leaders feature.

There hasn't been much in the way of news since April owing to The Crucible, which finished back in July, though on a related note she was nominated for a Broadway.com Audience Choice Award. Lady Bird, Greta Gerwig's directorial debut, is currently two weeks into filming, while production on On Chesil Beach, another Ian McEwan adaptation, kicks off in October. That's pretty much it.

Wow, blast from the past! I'm really looking towards Loving Vincent. It pretty much is the realization of my greatest visual dream. The test footage so far has been amazing. I'm sure Saoirse will shine, no doubt.

JaseC

Wow, blast from the past! I'm really looking towards Loving Vincent. It pretty much is the realization of my greatest visual dream. The test footage so far has been amazing. I'm sure Saoirse will shine, no doubt.

The Observer has said the film should be complete next month and is slated to release next Spring, however this doesn't seem to be corroborated anywhere. There was a work-in-progress screening for the artists last month, though, so I would think it is almost complete.

Edit: The Twitter account for the Artists' Campaign to Repeal the Eighth Amendment announced earlier that Saoirse has signed the mission statement. Ireland, to be clear, not the US -- the amendment rendered abortion illegal in the country save for situations where it's necessary to save the life of the mother.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Loving Vincent is one of the movies I'm looking forward the most. I hope it comes to my country.

JaseC

Reportedly, Lady Bird has finished filming and On Chesil Beach will enter the principal photography phase in England in just under a couple of weeks, on the 17th. The latter is the last thing left on Saoirse's plate and will likely wrap not all that far from Christmas, so she probably won't sign on to anything else until next year, especially considering that she's had an uncharacteristically busy year (including rehearsals and preview shows, The Crucible alone was a ~seven-month commitment).

I wonder what's going on with The Seagull. It's been in post-production for over a year now and still lacks any sort of firm release date.

Edit: Apparently, LB hasn't wrapped just yet.

JaseC

A new trailer for Loving Vincent has surfaced, and in other news it seems Lionsgate UK has already backed On Chesil Beach, which should begin filming in a few days.

Edit: I've made a point not to post candids in this thread thus far as I don't agree with unauthorised photography, however since details on Lady Bird are virtually non-existent, I'll make an exception here: Saoirse's outfit and the accompanying brick of a mobile phone strongly suggests the film is set during the 90s.

Edit edit: On Chesil Beach has started filming.

Edit edit edit: Loving Vincent has secured distribution in Brazil and Russia, bringing the total number of territories that'll see the film to just over 20. AU/NZ, the US and UK/Ireland remain notable absences.

Edit^4: On Chesil Beach has been picked up by several distributors. Among them is Transmission for Australia, which I was hoping wouldn't happen, despite being the most likely outcome, as it needlessly sat on Brooklyn for three months. Bah.

JaseC

Mary Queen of Scots is reportedly alive once again, with Josie Rourke replacing Susanne Bier and filming kicking off at some point next year.

Volimar

I hate that practically every interview appearance it seems like the host has to do a riff on her name. I'd be so sick of that.

JaseC

I was going to post it, but daily mail. ��

Haha, yeah, that was my first thought, too, but if memory serves it was also the first to report on Alicia Vikander replacing Saoirse in Testament of Youth, which ended up being accurate, so I figured I'd almost give it the benefit of the doubt here.

Sunster

We are almost the same age down to the day. Always weird to watch a person you could have gone to school with making big movies and stuff. Anyway she's cool, I've liked all her movies, even Byzantium. I bet she'll have a long career, studded with movies of "Brooklyn" quality.

plidex

I've loved her since I saw her in James Corden's show with the actress of Supergirl (Melissa something?). I binged all her interviews. I only watched her in Brooklyn, which is not my type of thing but I really liked it.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This thread reminds me that I have not finished watching her filmography! Gotta get on that. Nice to see that Mary Queen of Scots is alive!

JaseC

This thread reminds me that I have not finished watching her filmography! Gotta get on that. Nice to see that Mary Queen of Scots is alive!

Variety says it hasn't actually been greenlit yet:

Margot Robbie is in negotiations to play Queen Elizabeth in Focus Features and Working Title's ”Mary Queen of Scots," opposite Saoirse Ronan.

Josie Rourke is directing the film with Working Title's Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner and Liza Chasin producing.

The drama is based on the true story of Mary Stuart's attempt to overthrow her cousin Elizabeth I, Queen of England, only to find herself condemned to years of imprisonment before facing execution.

”Mary" has yet to be greenlit, but sources say things are headed in the right direction. If greenlit, the film would likely go sometime later this year.

Maybe things will get moving in earnest if Robbie signs on.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Variety says it hasn't actually been greenlit yet:

Maybe things will get moving in earnest if Robbie signs on.

God dammit, just say yes Margot!

But it'd be awesome to have her in the movie. And as capital says, it'd help a lot get the movie going.

Well that's a damming statement.
Sersh has The Host, Robbie has Suicide Squad.
Tomato.

Well, a more apt example would have been the Lovely Bones. Both extensively panned, but made decent change in the end. The problem with the Host was it was too hasty of a project that probably got more exposure than it should have. I feel bad for Saoirse for that one.

Gazunta

I just want to say that this thread is one of the best reasons NeoGAF exists.

I want this woman to play my comic character, someone sign up the movie rights please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom