• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they will. They're quite clearly just moving on.

The next direct will most definitely be a tribute of sorts though in part

That is even if they continue directs.

Remember they stopped Iwata Asks for a year. Miyamoto said it was because it wasn't an effective marketing strategy, but since they came back, we can speculate that it's likely due to Iwata's health. And this is all considering even if the new President of Nintendo even wants to continue this stuff.

Volotaire

I wonder if they still have any footage of Iwata from a hypothetical next Direct if Nintendo records Directs in such an advance manner. Probably not.

oti

Banned
I don't think they will. They're quite clearly just moving on.

The next direct will most definitely be a tribute of sorts though in part

I want an Iwata Asks book with pictures and letters from his friends and people in the industry he inspired and EVERYRHING I WANT IT ALL I'D PAY 100€ RIGHT NOW.

And an Iwata Puppet Plushie if that isn't too weird a thing to ask for.

What has given you that impression? Personally I've always seen Bill as one of the most earnest people at NoA, and second to only Miyamoto and Iwata in how much he actually seems to love the work Nintendo does and embraces the quirkiness of it.
Yeah. I'm pretty sure Bill is the driving force behind NOAs Adult Swim-esq humor in directs.

I hate seeing all these wake pictures... :(

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I use my Hobonichi planner daily and love reading some of the material the news site puts up. It's really something that he somehow managed to be a part of my life even after I drifted away from the Nintendo ecosystems.

Official Hobonichi thread here, in case people are interested

My Earthbound cover Hobonichi planner is one my favourite things. I use it everyday too. I hope they have a Iwata memorial cover or at least one that gives a nod to him for next year...

Porcile

I always wanted one of those planners. I find it really hard to find notebooks with decent sized grids for writing Japanese in. I had no idea Hobonichi was founded by Itoi though, and the Iwata snippet is golden.

I've been doing a lot of research into Iwata this last week (obviously) and I started to look more into Nintendo's 1.5% purchase of Dwango.

It lead me into researching the relationship between Iwata and Dwango chairman Nobuo Kawakami. There's not a whole lot to the story, Kawakami asked Nintendo for personal funding and Iwata agreed because he thought it would be mutually beneficial.

But all that lead me to this interview where Iwata talks less with a PR filter and more like the president of Nintendo. There's nothing revelatory here, but even as late as end of 2014, he seems to still be concerned about the segmentation of the market between failures and mega-hits.

Iwata: Indeed, we see the trend of, as the middle of the market disappears, the big hits only become bigger. For example, there’s been four 2 million sellers released on the 3DS [in Japan] in the last five months.
We checked and that’s never happened before in the Japanese game market. So, in the middle of people saying ‘packaged software doesn’t sell anymore’ and ‘dedicated game consoles are dead’, we have this happening.

Kawakami: Just this year, we had Frozen released in Japan and be a huge hit. People are saying no one goes to movie theaters any more and then we have one of the highest grossing movies ever recorded in Japan.

Iwata: It’s segmentation and over-concentration. This bipolarity is just a feature of the market in recent years.
The mega hits get bigger, so to speak.j

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Official Hobonichi thread here, in case people are interested

My Earthbound cover Hobonichi planner is one my favourite things. I use it everyday too. I hope they have a Iwata memorial cover or at least one that gives a nod to him for next year...

Thanks for thinking to post the link. It's a wonderful notebook and Itoi's involvement allows for some Hobonichi x Nintendo partnerships here and there.

I always wanted one of those planners. I find it really hard to find notebooks with decent sized grids for writing Japanese in. I had no idea Hobonichi was founded by Itoi though, and the Iwata snippet is golden.

They have done a few Mother/Earthbound products as well as very limited runs of other Nintendo-branded goodies. Last year's planner had an Onett design:

zoom_2.jpg

Next year's planner (going on sale in September) will have another Mother design:

In any case, I've got a smile on my face thinking about the friendship between Itoi and Iwata, and how Iwata gave his time to help a friend run a totally unrelated business while being neck-deep in Nintendo operation duties.

Nanashrew

Banned
I've been doing a lot of research into Iwata this last week (obviously) and I started to look more into Nintendo's 1.5% purchase of Dwango.

It lead me into researching the relationship between Iwata and Dwango chairman Nobuo Kawakami. There's not a whole lot to the story, Kawakami asked Nintendo for personal funding and Iwata agreed because he thought it would be mutually beneficial.

But all that lead me to this interview where Iwata talks less with a PR filter and more like the president of Nintendo. There's nothing revelatory here, but even as late as end of 2014, he seems to still be concerned about the segmentation of the market between failures and mega-hits.

Here's more of that interview translated by StreetsAhead. http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=959746

Calamari41

41 > 38
Yeah, Bill Trinen is definitely far from a stuffed suit, but I don't know how good he would be taking over Iwata Asks. Half of the reason Iwata got such great answers is because he himself knew what it was like to be elbows-deep in the mud of game development. I'm not sure Trinen would think to ask the kinds of questions that others (Aonuma, as a random example) might think to ask.

Rich!

what

Bill Trinen is awesome.

I first heard of bill back in the late 90s via N64 Magazine. I remember the article he featured in being hilarious.

I can try to find it sometime. They also had a good feature in their Game Boy section about Iwata and HAL.

R.D.Blax

It's been a few day already, but it's still didn't sink in for me that he is truly gone. I still kinda expect the next direct to begin with the gif of Iwata getting out the casket to drop lots of bomb... But it won't happen, and I don't know how I will handle this

Porcile

Thanks for thinking to post the link. It's a wonderful notebook and Itoi's involvement allows for some Hobonichi x Nintendo partnerships here and there.

They have done a few Mother/Earthbound products as well as very limited runs of other Nintendo-branded goodies. Last year's planner had an Onett design:

Next year's planner (going on sale in September) will have another Mother design:

In any case, I've got a smile on my face thinking about the friendship between Itoi and Iwata, and how Iwata gave his time to help a friend run a totally unrelated business while being neck-deep in Nintendo operation duties.

I didn't know the Onett cover was still in stock. I just bought it. Might get one of next years planners come September, along with that second Mother 2 cover.

Rich!

I want one of those notebooks.

Someone give me the link to buy 1. The onnett cover and 2. The notebook and I shall order

I have had wine and I can't fuck make out the shit of that site.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Sorry i've missed something, thats the deal with the text book(s)?

They're planners made by Shigesato Itoi's company. Iwata, being good friends with Itoi, helped out in numerous ways.

The planners themselves are very functional and smartly designed, good for professionals and for creative purposes.

Porcile

Hipster-y notebooks/day planners with cool covers by a Japanese company called Hobonichi (apparently founded by Shigesato Itoi). Useful for writing in Japanese handwriting because they're in grid format. I wouldn't actually buy the notebook just yet because they're going to be outdated in a few months!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

The books are called the Hobonichi Planner, a system designed by Shigesato Itoi. It's a part of Itoi's overarching company known as the Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun. It posts daily news and has a rather eccentric, playful tone compared to other news sites. They also have partnerships across all manner of industries. As was pointed out here, Iwata was the head of the IT department for the website portion of this company:

I just had to look that up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobonichi

Amazing.

I thought it worth mentioning that there were some Nintendo-related products, which makes even more sense now that we know how much Iwata was involved with the company behind-the-scenes. He wasn't just a friend to Itoi, he was a dedicated part of what he did every day while still being the head of Nintendo. I thought it was touching and wanted to share a particular piece that this friendship and partnership had borne. Didn't mean to derail or anything!

Pandy

The books are called the Hobonichi Planner, a system designed by Shigesato Itoi. It's a part of Itoi's overarching company known as the Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun. It posts daily news and has a rather eccentric, playful tone compared to other news sites. They also have partnerships across all manner of industries. As was pointed out here, Iwata was the head of the IT department for the website portion of this company:

I thought it worth mentioning that there were some Nintendo-related products, which makes even more sense now that we know how much Iwata was involved with the company behind-the-scenes. He wasn't just a friend to Itoi, he was a dedicated part of what he did every day while still being the head of Nintendo. I thought it was touching and wanted to share a particular piece that this friendship and partnership had borne. Didn't mean to derail or anything!
Thanks for posting. It was news to me, and I love a good bit of a stationery. :)

meow

Every time I come into this thread, I get super sad. I've always really liked what I saw of Iwata. RIP. I just really wish it wasn't so. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom