• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoru Iwata Has Passed Away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
This is really wonderful stuff from GamesSpot.
The Point - Understanding Iwata's Legacy
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-point-understanding-iwatas-legacy/2300-6426061/
Beautiful video. Does a great job of putting into perspective the warmth and humanity behind Iwata's vision. Yes, he was a CEO and was tasked with growing the company, but I truly believe that he loved video games and wanted to spread the joy of gaming to people who previously weren't open to it.

We don't have an IGN Nintendo Voice Chat thread here, but this weeks episode is a tribute to Iwata. It's 76 minutes long, and is well worth the listen. It's always nice to hear memories from Peer because he's been in the business for years, since before the Gamecube!

GDGF

Soothsayer
Not sure if posted yet.

Over 4000 folks paid there respects at Iwata's funeral.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articl...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=european-daily

Nintendo's two remaining top executives Genyo Takeda and Shigeru Miyamoto were, of course, both at the funeral, and during a eulogy on Friday, Takeda said that he and Miyamoto would seek to continue the work started by Iwata, and that seeds Iwata planted would grow into flowers "that will make people around the world smile."

Sounds like Miyamoto and Takeda may be the CEOs until NX launches.

Going to be weird to hear, "Please welcome the global President of Nintendo, Shigeru Miyamoto" at next year's E3.

Earendil

I was wondering why Florent Gorges wasn't saying anything on social media. Glad to know he didn't stay silent.
I found the video interview you're talking about here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xughf

It's in French sadly. Florent Gorges is pretty much the go-to scholar on Nintendo. Not only did he write The History of Nintendo as you said, he also wrote his entire college thesis on Gunpei Yokoi. I'm kinda proud to know he and I went to the same university and had the same teachers.

I might translate some tidbits into English later if you guys want.

That would be great if you could, my French is really rusty.

GAF, I'd like your advice.

This weekend my city (Adelaide Australia) is having an anime and games convention (AVCon). I've always been somewhat involved, and just got permission to set up a very simple book to keep near the game tournaments where people can write their thanks, which I will then send to Nintendo.

But I absolutely want to get this right.

My current plan is a very simple framed image, with the text "Thank You Iwata" and a greyscale faded sprite of balloon fighter. The book would be blank pages, no lines, I want people to draw if that is how they chose to express themselves.

On the table I'll also have a vase with a flower in it (lily, I guess) and a bunch of bananas, because dammit it can't all be somber, dude was a delightful goof.

Then I need text to print on a simple flyer to explain what is being requested. My current thoughts:

"Last week the videogamers of the world lost someone very special. Satoru Iwata was a man who dedicated his life to a very simple goal: putting a smile on our faces. This book is for any message you would like to write or draw regarding his passing. This book will be sent on behalf of AVCon to Nintendo after the convention is over."

So... help me out. Better words, better ideas, anything.

This book is a big part of helping me heal, so in a way it feels selfish, but I know I'm not alone in feeling this sadness. This thread is proof.

I think this sounds fantastic.

Clefargle

GAF, I'd like your advice.

This weekend my city (Adelaide Australia) is having an anime and games convention (AVCon). I've always been somewhat involved, and just got permission to set up a very simple book to keep near the game tournaments where people can write their thanks, which I will then send to Nintendo.

But I absolutely want to get this right.

My current plan is a very simple framed image, with the text "Thank You Iwata" and a greyscale faded sprite of balloon fighter. The book would be blank pages, no lines, I want people to draw if that is how they chose to express themselves.

On the table I'll also have a vase with a flower in it (lily, I guess) and a bunch of bananas, because dammit it can't all be somber, dude was a delightful goof.

Then I need text to print on a simple flyer to explain what is being requested. My current thoughts:

"Last week the videogamers of the world lost someone very special. Satoru Iwata was a man who dedicated his life to a very simple goal: putting a smile on our faces. This book is for any message you would like to write or draw regarding his passing. This book will be sent on behalf of AVCon to Nintendo after the convention is over."

So... help me out. Better words, better ideas, anything.

This book is a big part of helping me heal, so in a way it feels selfish, but I know I'm not alone in feeling this sadness. This thread is proof.

Nice, have a Wii U there for Miiverse drawings from Con-folks too!

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Some more photos (and the one already posted, here in slightly higher quality):

iwata_3eapcc.png

iwata_214o4j.png

iwata_1p2o3p.png

From Getty Images. Photos by Asahi Shimbun.

guek

Banned
I think I've gotten past the point of just being sad over this news to feeling so blessed to have had Iwata contribute to the gaming world. I smile now when I think of Iwata because I know that's all he ever wanted out of his fans - to smile and be happy and enjoy life.

Savitar

itoi-iwata.jpg

Just wanted to show this pic of Iwata and his wife at Itoi's house a while back. You can tell he was such a happy person in life and let nothing get him down

I think the picture is kinda why I have personally been touched by his death. He reminded me of my grandfather. You know how everyone says a person is a good man, well my grandfather was the real deal. Never said a bad word about anyone. Never swore. Was always smiling. Content. Didn't bad mouth people and always tried his best being there for his family no matter what. A real good person at heart.

There are many people in this world, but really good people at heart? Those are rare and treasured.

Big Nikus

I've been on the verge of tears since I heard the news four days ago. I can't hold back anymore...
I just can't stop crying today, damn... I probably needed it, since I can't grieve properly until I've shed some tears, and I usually do the day of funerals. I could not cry until now because in my mind I still don't have truly accepted the reality of his passing. I'm not sure I will ever be able to, but it's a start...

plufim

I've made some changes. The frame is now just "Satoru Iwata 1959 - 2015"

And the instructions are
"Last week we all lost someone very special.

Satoru Iwata was a man who dedicated his life to a very simple goal: putting a smile on our faces. From his early days at HAL creating games with four of his friends to his time as President of Nintendo.

This book is for any message you would like to write or draw regarding his passing.

This book will be sent on behalf of the attendees of AVCon to Nintendo after the convention is over.

Thank you, Mr Iwata."

With a small Kirby warp star sprite

zroid

Banned
If Iwata did record any final Direct messages or Iwata Asks, Nintendo should release them. It's a nice way of paying tribute, and of not letting any of the work he did go to waste.

absolutely, I don't believe they will pack away any of that content. it's obviously not what he would have wanted.

emb

Those funeral pictures look like they're straight out of a movie. The rain makes it all look exceptionally sad and picturesque.

Has the former president of Nintendo(i forget his name) made any public comments yet? I imagine they had a very close relationship
Hiroshi Yamauchi passed away pretty recently. I want to say it was about a year ago.

random25

Rösti;172171934 said:

iwata_3eapcc.png

iwata_214o4j.png

iwata_1p2o3p.png

Somehow, the weather joined in mourning and giving the final farewell to Iwata-san.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

The possibility of a final Iwata Asks and even a Direct is pretty hard to think about. I mean, releasing the Iwata Asks would be fine imo, he's clearly extremely passionate and would want that interview to be read. But a final Direct being released could be a bit too much, not just for sparking emotions but also just in respecting the current state of events. Maybe if they ran a message beforehand or something.
Knowing Iwata's obvious dedication to Nintendo, I think he'd want it released since he loved to share news with everyone and wouldn't want all that work to be wasted.

They could remove the usual music, have a black screen with text at the start that explains that it was recorded prior to his death etc. There's lots of ways to make it tasteful and also a fitting tribute

Reminds me that I bought a Kirby plush from there back in 2010. :(

Crayolan

Rösti;172171934 said:

iwata_3eapcc.png

iwata_214o4j.png

iwata_1p2o3p.png

Still can't believe it was raining on the day of the funeral.

I've made some changes. The frame is now just "Satoru Iwata 1959 - 2015"

And the instructions are
"Last week we all lost someone very special.

Satoru Iwata was a man who dedicated his life to a very simple goal: putting a smile on our faces. From his early days at HAL creating games with four of his friends to his time as President of Nintendo.

This book is for any message you would like to write or draw regarding his passing.

This book will be sent on behalf of the attendees of AVCon to Nintendo after the convention is over.

Thank you, Mr Iwata."

With a small Kirby warp star sprite

You may want to combine the bolded into a single sentence. "From his early days at HAL creating games with four of his friends to his time as President of Nintendo." is not a complete sentence on it's own, and I imagine you want this to be as professional as possible.

plufim

Still can't believe it was raining on the day of the funeral.

You may want to combine the bolded into a single sentence. "From his early days at HAL creating games with four of his friends to his time as President of Nintendo." is not a complete sentence on it's own, and I imagine you want this to be as professional as possible.

I think this has made the best version:

"From his early days at HAL creating games with four of his friends to his time as President of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata was a man who dedicated his life to a very simple goal: putting a smile on our faces."

I thought I had reached some level of acceptance after this week but that NOE "Please understand" tweet broke me once again.

I think what makes this harder than most cases of a CEO/President passing is that Iwata really entrenched himself as the face of Nintendo in many ways. A much more public figure than Yamauchi, the Directs, the Iwata Asks, the keynotes. He really brought a personal touch to the company. Because of that I think it won't be as apparent how important that mark is until we get to the next direct (if they even continue) or the next public presentation. Or when we see someone else from Nintendo as the keynote speaker. He certainly had a sincerity and genuineness that is very rare today.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I hope Nintendo keep being transparent after this, for too long they were hidden behind a magic curtain of secrecy. Iwata, tore it down and invited us inside.

plufim

I have realised that I am going to have to read through this book to ensure there is no morons trolling in it, because there's always one, and I cannot allow that to make it through.

But reading all that... is going to fucking destroy me.

Crayolan

I think this has made the best version:

"From his early days at HAL creating games with four of his friends to his time as President of Nintendo, Satoru Iwata was a man who dedicated his life to a very simple goal: putting a smile on our faces."

Sounds great.

MajorMane

Just a quick glance, I didn't see this posted yet, so...

ArtsyOmni (of the Smashified series) and Etika (of Etika World Network) have launched a TeeSpring campaign for a shirt based on the artwork Omni created shortly after Iwata's passing. 50% of their proceeds are going to the Child's Play and the other 50% to cancer research (undecided which charity at this time; they're asking for suggestions in the comments of their Youtube video detailing the campaign.) The campaign is active for 9 days and as of right now, there are no plans to continue it beyond this, so you'll be unable to order a shirt after this time period.

T-shirt comes in a black or blue variety and looks like this:
CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

More info on the campaign found here: http://teespring.com/thank-you-iwata#pid=6&cid=619&sid=front

Geg

Is it true about "Satoru" meaning "to understand"? Suddenly it all makes sense.

Yeah from my dictionary it's

(1) to perceive; to sense; to discern; (2) to understand; to comprehend; to realize; (3) {Buddh} to attain enlightenment

The actual word is written differently than his name though, it's just a homophone

jeffers

ArtsyOmni (of the Smashified series) and Etika (of Etika World Network) have launched a TeeSpring campaign for a shirt based on the artwork Omni created shortly after Iwata's passing. 50% of their proceeds are going to the Child's Play and the other 50% to cancer research (undecided which charity at this time; they're asking for suggestions in the comments of their Youtube video detailing the campaign.) The campaign is active for 9 days and as of right now, there are no plans to continue it beyond this, so you'll be unable to order a shirt after this time period.

CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

More info on the campaign found here: http://teespring.com/thank-you-iwata#pid=6&cid=619&sid=front

nice idea, would get one but think international ship cost + customs kills this one for me. be like $45.

Japanese names can have many meanings depending on which Kanji is used, if I understand it correctly.

They're a clusterfuck on top of that, too. Many people, when naming their children, choose a kanji they like the meaning of and then give it a totally different pronunciation. I.E., you can see someone's name written in kanji and have no idea how to pronounce it if they don't tell you or they haven't put syllabic script next to it.

Reminds me of the recent trend in NA of making up new names or inventing new spellings. :p

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance

CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

Just participated. Hope the campaign is successful!

Pandy

CKIdzxdUYAA45AN.jpg

Will be contributing later. Thanks for this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom