• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satya Nadella talks about the future of Xbox and multiplatform: "We are very happy with what's going on in gaming"

XXL

Does GAF think it was Starfield that triggered this or could they have made their minds up before?
I wouldn't say it's entirely responsible, but it didn't help.

They probably thought the Bethesda purchase would push them forward and in reality it pushed them backwards in the console space and isn't even close to what Skyrim was on Steam.

Overall, they have spent over 80 Billion in the last few years and lost ground to Playstation, while having the most inexpensive console and giving away their games for free day 1 on a subscription. Really think about that.

This is the only viable way forward.

Competing with Steam is more of an uphill battle than competing with PlayStation and Nintendo is doing their own thing and Xbox can't do what they do.

It makes more sense to release with everyone that has their individual markets cornered at this point.

bitbydeath

I don't think that this is a big smoking gun or anything. We already know that deals are in place for multiplatform MS owned games for at least a decade. I don't expect ES6 on Playstation or for MS to stop making Xboxes. Not for quite a while at least.
Clearly this Nutella guy is an imposter.
giphy.gif

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Clearly this Nutella guy is an imposter.
giphy.gif
I don't even give a shit about Xbox. I play on Playstation and Switch. But this constant doomposting at everything, when it kind of means nothing just doesn't do much. Yeah they want to leave the console space but in what? 10 years? 15 years?

StereoVsn

I don't even give a shit about Xbox. I play on Playstation and Switch. But this constant doomposting at everything, when it kind of means nothing just doesn't do much. Yeah they want to leave the console space but in what? 10 years? 15 years?
I think it’s less leaving console space and more delivering their games to all the consoles while keeping Xbox as either enthusiast platform, streaming box or both.

XXL

They have talked to Sony in prior years about bringing games to PlayStation and Sony said no.

They wanted to start with MP versions on games like Halo
Until they concede from making consoles I would say no if I was Playstation as well.

It only really benefits Xbox for Playstation to release their games to a much wider audience.

If they aren't making consoles, that's a different story.

//DEVIL//

Not defending or being an Xbox fanboy because I am not but I am guessing people here taking things out of content.

MS been releasing games on consoles beside Xbox for years now and they still releasing Xbox exclusive games too.

Any multiplayer game for example are just going to be making more sense when they are multi platform .

They already said they will release Activision games on Nintendo and cod plus others i am sure on PlayStation platform. It was part of the deal to close so what's new ?

Sea of theives for example make sense to go multi platform.

But I don't see them releasing Forza or gears or halo on PlayStation for example.

There will always be some selective titles to be released on other platform to make money. Just like how Sony is doing with PC. And if the Xbox had a big user base and Sony has a killer GaaS game it will make logic to release it on Xbox if the user base was there.

Console exclusives outside few from here or there for PlayStation and Xbox are long dead and gone.

You want the best of both platforms just buy a PC and wait till some games get ported with higher quality.

Last edited:
Not defending or being an Xbox fanboy because I am not but I am guessing people here taking things out of content.

MS been releasing games on consoles beside Xbox for years now and they still releasing Xbox exclusive games too.

Any multiplayer game for example are just going to be making more sense when they are multi platform .

They already said they will release Activision games on njnte do and cod plus others i am sure on PlayStation platform. It was part of the deal.

But I don't see them releasing Forza or gears or halo on PlayStation for example.

There will always be some selective titles to be released on other platform to make money. Just like how Sony is doing with PC. And if the Xbox had a big user base and Sony has a killer GaaS game it will make logic to release it on Xbox if the user base was there.

Console exclusives outside from here and there for PlayStation and Xbox are long dead and gone.

You want the best of both platforms just buy a PC and wait till some games get ported with higher quality.
It's a shame you have to preface a common sense take that isn't just death riding Xbox on this board by emphatically stating that you're not an Xbox fanboy. Says it all really.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
That Activision deal put the nail in the coffin. For games exclusive to Xbox platforms. But if they can get digital and physical sales from PlayStation and Nintendo consoles and still push gamepass it definitely would make them alot more money.
Its looking more n more like a case of....be careful what you wish for......

What if the ABK (and Bethesda) deal getting approved accelerated this multi platform plan.....

:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

SNG32

What if the ABK (and Bethesda) deal getting approved accelerated this multi platform plan.....

It did. They are slowly breaking down the full plan. Microsoft never said in the first place that bethesda games or abk games were going to be exclusive to Xbox platforms. Even when they alluded it was a case by case basis. They seen how starfield did and hi-fi rush and I think the multiplatform idea has accelerated a bit.

I mean, they just made an aquisition that they will be putting on Sony and Nintendo ... of course they're publishing for all platforms. They'll have strategic first-party exclusives (by exclusive I mean Xbox and PC) and then games (e.g. COD, or older titles) they can publish multi-plat console. Unless I've missed sometyhing?
You missed that Gaf is full of wilfully delusional fanboys.

Its pretty obvious they would have to go third party if things don't turn around but it still sucks because they had all the resources to be doing better. What a sad end to an era ....

demigod

They already said they will release Activision games on Nintendo and cod plus others i am sure on PlayStation platform. It was part of the deal to close so what's new ?

Console exclusives outside few from here or there for PlayStation and Xbox are long dead and gone.

MS has never released a first party game on Playstation to my knowledge.
It's a shame you have to preface a common sense take that isn't just death riding Xbox on this board by emphatically stating that you're not an Xbox fanboy. Says it all really.
Bud, you were being an xbox fanboy with your previous post. This isn’t about the CoD 10 year deal. This is beyond that. Sea of Thieves / Hi Fi Rush has nothing to do with CoD.

T-0800

Good. Maybe they can start porting stuff to PlayStation by the end of the generation.

My guess is they make a single expensive SKU “benchmark” console that doesn’t really compete with PlayStation and can be sold at a small margin.
Maybe, but also why? Why buy it when you could just buy a Playstation and play Xbox and Playstation games.

Bud, you were being an xbox fanboy with your previous post. This isn’t about the CoD 10 year deal. This is beyond that. Sea of Thieves / Hi Fi Rush has nothing to do with CoD.
How was I being a fanboy? I just suggested that some games would be exclusive and others wouldn't be (COD and older titles, or some GaaS for that matter). Think you're projecting a bit there 'bud'.

Actually having had a quick look at your post history I can see you're definitely projecting.

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

It depends how you interpret this. MS has released games on multiple systems in the past and they were looking into a case by case basis.

On the other hand, it never made sense to me to purchase Zenimax and ABK only to limit them on Xbox platform. Those are decades old third party IP. Its like buying EA and keeping FC on a single console... it doesn't make sense business wise. I can't imagine TES 6 will be exclusive. Starfield didn't cause the wave MS needed, they were in hindsight better off with it as a multiplatform game.

Sea of Thieves I can totally see happening since its a GaaS game, such as Sony offering Destiny on Xbox.

Pimpbaa

Yup, sticking with the plan of only using my Xbox Series X for Gamepass and my PS5 for games that I buy. Only game I bought on Xbox this gen is Diablo 4 and I regret that. Then again I would have regretted buying that game for any platform.

Luigi Mario

Ybarra always said they never gave an official reason but he always believed they didn’t want players on PS being forced to install XBL at the time and MS scream from the mountaintops how their XBL user base exploded in numbers
Was it about having something like an official XBL app on PlayStation or just about users being forced to create a separate Microsoft account for their first-party titles?

Last edited:

jroc74

How was I being a fanboy? I just suggested that some games would be exclusive and others wouldn't be (COD and older titles, or some GaaS for that matter). Think you're projecting a bit there 'bud'.

Actually having had a quick look at your post history I can see you're definitely projecting.

Here's my take:

Tim Stuart, Satya doesnt offer specifics about CoD deals or case by case basis. Only Phil Spencer did that AFAIK. Hell, Brad Smith said to think of CoD like Minecraft when the acquisition was first announced. Phil bringing up specific time frames is when the war of words between him and Jim Ryan started. Many ppl either dont know or choose to forget what Brad Smith initially said.

So either its MS once again having mixed messaging....or maybe the multi platform strategy is more than just CoD, older games and GaaS. Halo Infinite falls under GaaS....

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Was it about having something like an official Xbox Live app on PlayStation or just about users being forced to create a separate Microsoft account for their first-party titles?
I don’t remember the details honestly it’s been years since we talked about it

Here's my take:

Tim Stuart, Satya doesnt offer specifics about CoD deals or case by case basis. Only Phil Spencer did that AFAIK. Hell, Brad Smith said to think of CoD like Minecraft when the acquisition was first announced. Phil bringing up specific time frames is when the war of words between him and Jim Ryan started. Many ppl either dont know or choose to forget what Brad Smith initially said.

So either its MS once again having mixed messaging....or maybe the multi platform strategy is more than just CoD, older games and GaaS. Halo Infinite falls under GaaS....
Maybe it is, but how could you glean that from Satya's comments ITT? Or is it just adding together different comments made at different stages of the acquisition and then having a guess?

//DEVIL//

MS has never released a first party game on Playstation to my knowledge.

I am not sure what you define a first party. All MS studios are first party studios. Including Bethesda and Activision or the devs behind Minecraft . Yet many of those games are on different platforms.

Just because MS advertise their show Xbox + Bethesda + Activision as to look like a seperate entity, they really are not and they are all reporting to the same team at Xbox. It's just they have their own directive of choice of what to make or how to manage their studios within the budget allocated to them.

jroc74

Maybe it is, but how could you glean that from Satya's comments ITT? Or is it just adding together different comments made at different stages of the acquisition and then having a guess?
it would have to be different comments at different stages....thats why I mentioned Brad Smith.

Phil's comments are the only one's that are the odd man out. Seems to me like Brad, Tim and Satya are all on the same page.

demigod

I am not sure what you define a first party. All MS studios are first party studios. Including Bethesda and Activision or the devs behind Minecraft . Yet many of those games are on different platforms.

Just because MS advertise their show Xbox + Bethesda + Activision as to look like a seperate entity, they really are not and they are all reporting to the same team at Xbox. It's just they have their own directive of choice of what to make or how to manage their studios within the budget allocated to them.
I knew you were going to list those games, lol. There is a clause that MS cannot take Minecraft away from Playstation. Which Bethesda and Activision games released on Playstation? You talking about the ones that they already made deals with Playstation prior to buying them? C’mon son.

nick776

This is a good thought,
It depends how you interpret this. MS has released games on multiple systems in the past and they were looking into a case by case basis.

On the other hand, it never made sense to me to purchase Zenimax and ABK only to limit them on Xbox platform. Those are decades old third party IP. Its like buying EA and keeping FC on a single console... it doesn't make sense business wise. I can't imagine TES 6 will be exclusive. Starfield didn't cause the wave MS needed, they were in hindsight better off with it as a multiplatform game.

Sea of Thieves I can totally see happening since its a GaaS game, such as Sony offering Destiny on Xbox.
I wonder if Starfield was the catalyst to all this. It could have been Xbox's barometer of sorts--if it did well and sold consoles they would keep exclusives, etc. Since that didn't happen, maybe they changed their strategy entirely. Certainly, investors want a maximum return and considering what was spent on Activision that just cannot happen with the present Xbox sales numbers. There is no way to turn this generation around, either. I just do not see that happening in any reality.

Topher

Gold Member

I don't think his words are being taken out of context at all. What he said was pretty clear. Now perhaps he didn't understand the implication of what he said. If he had then perhaps he might have been more careful with his words. Or maybe he knew exactly what he was saying. Not sure.

Either way, Nadella just poured more gas on the "MS going third party fire" whether he intended to or not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom