• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia: 8/12 surviving sons of country's monarch support move to oust King

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...bin-salman-could-bring-down-the-a6706801.html
Eight of the 12 surviving sons of Saudi Arabia’s founding monarch are supporting a move to oust King Salman, 79, the country’s ailing ruler, and replace him with his 73-year-old brother, according to a dissident prince.

The prince also claims that a clear majority of the country’s powerful Islamic clerics, known as the Ulama, would back a palace coup to oust the current King and install Prince Ahmed bin Abdulaziz, a former Interior Minister, in his place. “The Ulama and religious people prefer Prince Ahmed – not all of them, but 75 per cent,” said the prince, himself a grandson of King Ibn Saud, who founded the ruling dynasty in 1932.

Support from the clerics would be vital for any change of monarch, since in the Saudi system only they have the power to confer religious and therefore political legitimacy on the leadership.

The revelation suggests there is increasing pressure within the normally secretive Saudi royal family to bring to a head the internal power struggle that has erupted since King Salman inherited the throne at the beginning of this year. The prince, who cannot be named for security reasons, is the author of two recently published letters calling for the royal family to replace the current Saudi leadership...

“Either the King will leave Saudi Arabia, like King Saud, and he will be very respected inside and outside the country,” he told The Independent. “Alternatively Prince Ahmed will become Crown Prince, but with control of and responsibility for the whole country – the economy, oil, armed forces, national guard, interior ministry, secret service, in fact everything from A to Z.”...

Prince Ahmed, the man most family members support to take over the throne, is the youngest son of the Kingdom’s founder by his favourite wife, Hassa bint Ahmed Al Sudairi. He was deputy interior minister for 37 years and spent four years responsible for the religious sites in Mecca before being appointed Interior Minister in 2012.

He left the post five months later, officially at his own request, and was replaced by Prince Mohammed bin Nayef, now the Crown Prince. The dissident prince claims Prince Ahmed left after a disagreement about the treatment of political detainees.

“Prince Ahmed wants to introduce reforms like freedom of thought, cleaning up the justice system and freeing political prisoners who don’t have anything to do with terrorism,”
he said.

“Many political prisoners have been in prison since before 2001 because of their wise opinion and their moderate Islamic views. If Prince Ahmed has the authority he will allow such people out.”

Prince Ahmed, who has a Master’s degree in political science, is favoured by clerics and by others within the royal family because of his professional experience and moderate lifestyle, according to the prince. “The eldest brothers want him because he is healthy and wise, and he has been clean all his life. He is not in trouble with gambling, women, drink or drugs.

-------------
On another note I am ignorant on the other son who they want to replace with

this article makes him look way better then the current option but if this is actuality or just sugar coating I can't really tell due to lack of research. Freeing Political prisoners would be a nice step and a needed step to getting rid of the Monarchy

I highly suspect the Prince's motives. I don't for a single second think that his father favors "freedom of thought" and has the backing of religious establishment. Dude is positioning his father to become the king so that when the king dies, the throne falls to him, and not to Crown Prince Nayef and Deputy Crown Prince Mohammad (who's the son of current king Salman).
Wasn't the current king heralded as a moderate step forward?
His predecessor King Abdullah was. Current king has not undone any reforms by Abdullah, and is following the trajectory that was set in motion by Abdullah.

I highly suspect the Prince's motives. I don't for a single second think that his father favors "freedom of thought" and has the backing of religious establishment. Dude is positioning his father to become the king so that when the king dies, the throne falls to him, and not to Crown Prince Nayef and Deputy Crown Prince Mohammad (who's the son of current king Salman).

Yeah I can feel the same... it could all just be sugar coating in order to get more support from other groups

I think that was the last King that died in Feb

this current one isn't really running the country his son is

His predecessor King Abdullah was. Current king has not undone any reforms by Abdullah, and is following the trajectory that was set in motion by Abdullah.

Ah ic. Thanks!

Suen

Dude sounds cool in the article but if the Wahhabi clerics are backing him, there must be something wrong.
Pretty much. Anyway division and trouble in Saudi Arabia's monarchy can only be a good thing for the world.

Good luck Ahmed. Once you have the throne you can demand everyone to fart on your face.

Eight of the 12 surviving sons of Saudi Arabia’s founding monarch are supporting a move to oust King Salman, 79, the country’s ailing ruler, and replace him with his 73-year-old brother, according to a dissident prince.y

Ah, new blood

Sorral

No, not with the way he is handling Yemen and the country's treasury. He's not like King Abdullah especially in those regards.

I am not sure if he was ousted much will change in the country.

Though as much as I hate Al Saud and their Wahabbi poison, I don't think removing them will be good for Saudi Arabia. It'll be a bloodbath like Somalia.

The succession of the Saudi crown sounds like a mess. What is the logic behind giving it to the next brother instead of the son. Stuff is filled with potential for abuse and backstabbing this way.

Kolx

Prince Ahmed actually supports better treatment with political opinion. I just highly doubt this high number of princes and clerics supporting him. At the end judging by the side the source takes in this issue I find it really hard to take the source seriously.

How can it be a good thing?

Don't take him seriously. His job is just to take a huge dump on SA in every thread it's mentioned in even if that doesn't make sense.

I am not sure if he was ousted much will change in the country.

Though as much as I hate Al Saud and their Wahabbi poison, I don't think removing them will be good for Saudi Arabia. It'll be a bloodbath like Somalia.
How is the gun laws in the country?

If the army and police force aren't like Egypt (and will not want to control everything) and people and the government don't ensue a armed conflict due to keeping stability

plus no foreign intervention since that is always filled with bad interests

I for one say it has to be a bit by bit transition not something dramatic like what plagued the rest of the middle east (beside Tunisia)
Prince Ahmed actually supports better treatment with political opinion. I just highly doubt this high number of princes and clerics supporting him. At the end judging by the source side in this issue I find it really hard to take the source seriously.

agreed that I am iffy about Independent bringing this news since they are known to run anything against SA (be it over exaggerated)

Pretty much. Anyway division and trouble in Saudi Arabia's monarchy can only be a good thing for the world.

Good luck Ahmed. Once you have the throne you can demand everyone to fart on your face.
Uh, no. Actually that would be terrible. That's why the United States tolerates Saudi Arabia as it is right now!

How is the gun laws in the country?

If the army and police force aren't like Egypt (and will not want to control everything) and people and the government don't ensue a armed conflict due to keeping stability

plus no foreign intervention since that is always filled with bad interests

I for one say it has to be a bit by bit transition not something dramatic like what plagued the rest of the middle east (beside Tunisia)

agreed that I am iffy about Independent bringing this news since they are known to run anything against SA (be it over exaggerated)

The black Market for guns is HUGE in Saudi Arabia and even where I live (Kuwait) though not as bad.

Tribalism in huge in KSA and if there are no central power I am certain many will be loyal to it's tribe. And many would compete for power and influence.

The black Market for guns is HUGE in Saudi Arabia and even where I live (Kuwait) though not as bad.

Tribalism in huge in KSA and if there are no central power I am certain many will be loyal to it's tribe. And many would compete for power and influence.

yeah that isn't a good sign

tribalism killed Somalia for 20 years... idk how mixed the Government is and the army and if it is tribal proof when a power vacuum arises

Kolx

yeah that isn't a good sign

tribalism killed Somalia for 20 years... idk how mixed the Government is and the army and if it is tribal proof when a power vacuum arises

The national guard consist almost entirely of different tribal people. Yeah it's that bad.

Suen

How can it be a good thing?
Perhaps their clerics would then be occupied with fixing their own country instead of brainwashing, funding and helping so many young Saudi citizens to go abroad and blow themselves up killing citizens of other countries. Perhaps it would stop them from committing war crimes in other countries. Saudi Arabia citizens still make up one of the largest groups in ISIS.

Uh, no. Actually that would be terrible. That's why the United States tolerates Saudi Arabia as it is right now!
Yes! How wonderful it is to tolerate them as they are right now! Let's encourage them to drop more cluster bombs in Yemen, encourage them to keep erasing Yemen's history and culture, encourage them to give more support for "moderate" rebels and encourage them to let them more of their citizens to join terrorist groups while they oppress their own minorities. Rejoice!

ZiZ

Support from the clerics would be vital for any change of monarch, since in the Saudi system only they have the power to confer religious and therefore political legitimacy on the leadership.

this isn't true, it's true clerics have control over a lot of things, but they have no say in who rules the kingdom. besides, any king can buy his own clerics.

Suen

this isn't true, it's true clerics have control over a lot of things, but they have no say in who rules the kingdom. besides, any king can buy his own clerics.
Assume a new king takes the throne and the clerics despise him. How likely is it that they'll attempt to have him overthrown in one way or another? I find it hard to believe that the clerics have no say or influence whatsoever in the monarchy's succession.

Kolx

Perhaps their clerics would then be occupied with fixing their own country instead of brainwashing, funding and helping so many young Saudi citizens to go abroad and blow themselves up killing citizens of other countries. Perhaps it would stop them from committing war crimes in other countries. Saudi Arabia citizens still make up one of the largest groups in ISIS.

Yes! How wonderful it is to tolerate them as they are right now! Let's encourage them to drop more cluster bombs in Yemen, encourage them to keep erasing Yemen's history and culture, encourage them to give more support for "moderate" rebels and encourage them to let them more of their citizens to join terrorist groups while they oppress their own minorities. Rejoice!

And if the monarchy falls how would that be better exactly...? Also the part about "encourage them to give more support for "moderate" rebels" shows how bias you're, and the part about "encourage them to let them more of their citizens to join terrorist groups" shows how little shit you know.

ZiZ

Assume a new king takes the throne and the clerics despise him. How likely is it that they'll attempt to have him overthrown in one way or another? I find it hard to believe that the clerics have no say or influence whatsoever in the monarchy's succession.

clerics can influence the people, but it's unlikely they'll go against any monarch without an extremely obvious religious reason, like a huge moral scandal.

politicians have more influence over clerics than clerics have over politicians.

Hexa

Saudi Arabia needs a major cultural shift. I haven't been watching this too closely so I don't know if this'll help (I'm skeptical) but hopefully things work out for the best.

Suen

And if the monarchy falls how would that be better exactly...?
They'll be busy with their own little destabilization, therefore giving all other middle eastern countries they've helped in or directly destabilized an opportunity to recover.

Also the part about "encourage them to give more support for "moderate" rebels" shows how bias you're, and the part about "encourage them to let them more of their citizens to join terrorist groups" shows how little shit you know.
ok.

107 fighters per million people.

http://www.rferl.org/contentinfogra...a-iraq-is-isis-isil-infographic/26584940.html :

IMG3667.png

77661354_syria_foreign_fighters_only_chart_624.gif

Bxw_Dc02_Ic_AEN2bp.jpg

I'm sure they all just wanted to take a massive trip to Iraq and Syria for holidays, and that clerics constantly spewing out hatred and how non-Sunnis are heretics not worthy of living, and calling for Jihad has nothing to do with it. They just wanted that vacation.

Suen

clerics can influence the people, but it's unlikely they'll go against any monarch without an extremely obvious religious reason, like a huge moral scandal.

politicians have more influence over clerics than clerics have over politicians.
Thanks for the honest answer, but what makes us sure that the clerics would likely only go against the monarchy for a purely religious reason? This puts the assumption that the clerics themselves strictly abide by their faith, and yet we've seen this to not be the case such as when they refer to Americans as dirty infidels in one moment but in the next moment necessary dirty infidels that are allowed to help them for the sake of countering influence that opposes their interest (Iran etc.) in the region. If anything we've seen the clerics do what lies in their best interest. Therefore, to assume that they'd only be against the monarchy for a religious reason is not valid in my opinion, and they might as well just influence the people or members of the monarchy/govt. to get a king they dislike off the throne.

Kolx

And if the monarchy falls how would that be better exactly...? /QUOTE]They'll be busy with their own little destabilization, therefore giving all other middle eastern countries they've helped in or directly destabilized an opportunity to recover.

ok.

107 fighters per million people.

http://www.rferl.org/contentinfogra...a-iraq-is-isis-isil-infographic/26584940.html :

IMG3667.png

77661354_syria_foreign_fighters_only_chart_624.gif

Bxw_Dc02_Ic_AEN2bp.jpg

I'm sure they all just wanted to take a massive trip to Iraq and Syria for holidays, and that clerics constnatly spewing out hatred and how non-Sunnis are heretics not worthy of living, and calling for Jihad has nothing to do with it. They just wanted that vacation.

Idk if you missed that on purpose or if you don't even understand what you're saying. The government which you would be happy if it falls doesn't allow people to go to Syria or Iraq. Some old people who went to fight Russia in the Afghan war were taken to prison even there was no evidence whatsoever that they will go there. Now the prisons are full of these people that without this exact government they would have been already in Syria and Iraq. Also calling Saudi people to go there is not allowed and is punishable by prison, so that's another thing that shows how little shit you know about SA.

The government is basically the only thing stopping 100s of people going there so how is the government going away any good? if the situation there destabilize then all these people won't just decide not go there. Also if we're talking about destabilizing other countries then how about suggesting Iran to be on that list too.

Wellscha

Thanks for the honest answer, but what makes us sure that the clerics would likely only go against the monarchy for a purely religious reason? This puts the assumption that the clerics themselves strictly abide by their faith, and yet we've seen this to not be the case such as when they refer to Americans as dirty infidels in one moment but in the next moment necessary dirty infidels that are allowed to help them for the sake of countering influence that opposes their interest (Iran etc.) in the region. If anything we've seen the clerics do what lies in their best interest. Therefore, to assume that they'd only be against the monarchy for a religious reason is not valid in my opinion, and they might as well just influence the people or members of the monarchy/govt. to get a king they dislike off the throne.

For the entirety of Saudi Arabia's existence, this never happened.

In a sense the only way this is going to work is if all parties are involved and they find a compromise

maybe letting some people keep some wealth... the current ruling agree to back down, a long term transition of power instead of doing it over night,etc...

An uprising and later unrest would be way to risky and chaotic.... the effect to the globe would be large scale as well due to SA's impact to the global market

oil, contracts for all those mega project, nuclear and solar deals, Aramco, those new Scientific universities, etc...

and western nation likely won't sit back due to their corrupt arm deals

ZiZ

I never said they would do it for religious reasons (some would but many wouldn't), religious leaders can be bought, or thrown in jail if they don't comply. A very famous and popular cleric was tossed in jail recently because he was pro jihad in Syria.

The people look to the clerics regarding matters of religion, a cleric can say "I support X because he is more religious than Y" but if he were to say "I support X because of Y's views on healthcare" no one would care what he thinks, and it would weaken his argument.

gun ownership is concentrated in very few areas. mostly in the south near Yemen. Bedouins also often own guns.

but it's very rare to own a gun in a big city.

Sijil

Let them fight over that rotten throne of theirs, the Kingdom is going broke anyway. What a waste all those trillions and they didn't bother building a country, who the hell throws 30 Billion $ to celebrate a coronation anyway?

Let them fight over that rotten throne of theirs, the Kingdom is going broke anyway. What a waste all those trillions and they didn't bother building a country, who the hell throws 30 Billion $ to celebrate a coronation anyway?

they started a bunch of mega project... founded a new Science and tech university and have a large educated youth base that need jobs

if you study any business and or engineering you'd realize that SA has a bunch of diversification projects under way... Plus Aramco is a major player in the energy market (they bought the second largest renewable energy company in Feb)

Hence unrest in this country would make a ton of people anxious... but change in this country is heavily needed so this turns into a very delicate process were force isn't a option

LordDash

Banned
gun ownership is concentrated in very few areas. mostly in the south near Yemen. Bedouins also often own guns.

but it's very rare to own a gun in a big city.

True, not many folks in Jeddah/Makkah own guns as they're hard to come by. But go to a tribal village and you'll see most folks own a gun or two, especially around the Najd province and Al Kharj.

fawaz

Banned
Sorry to burst your bubble, but King Salman is going to stay King. After that it will 100% be monhammed bin Nayef. As for the deputy crown prince, he's not going to last in Mohammed bin Nayef's reign.

Suen

Idk if you missed that on purpose or if you don't even understand what you're saying. The government which you would be happy if it falls doesn't allow people to go to Syria or Iraq. Some old people who went to fight Russia in the Afghan war were taken to prison even there was no evidence whatsoever that they will go there. Now the prisons are full of these people that without this exact government they would have been already in Syria and Iraq. Also calling Saudi people to go there is not allowed and is punishable by prison, so that's another thing that shows how little shit you know about SA.

The government is basically the only thing stopping 100s of people going there so how is the government going away any good? if the situation there destabilize then all these people won't just decide not go there. Also if we're talking about destabilizing other countries then how about suggesting Iran to be on that list too.
You're excusing a current problem of a massive influx of Saudi terrorists into Syria and Iraq. The Saudis may have imprionsed a few and set out "rules" against those joining the fights abroad for a nice PR abroad when they aren't busy killing and beheading their minorities demanding more rights, but the facts on the ground are different: Saudi Arabia continues to be one of the most represented nationalities in ISIS and other Sunni extremist groups, only behind Tunisia and Jordan (and when it comes to Jordan it's Palestinians in specific, the group where ISIS enjoys the strongest support). Their citizens are killed frequently in operations launched by the Iraqi army & PMU.

This is a country that has shown no incompetence in keeping a strict eye on their majority, crushing the slightest hint of protest or suspicious movements from them, a group that makes up 2-3 million people in the country, yet you expect me to believe that they can't handle an influex of several thousand of their citizens joining wars abroad, alright. This is not even counting how Saudi vehicles, rifles and alike with Saudi's coat of arms and food from Saudi Arabia is frequently found in areas liberated from ISIS in Iraq. This is while also dismissing Saudi support for extremist movements in Syria, Saudi meddling into Iraqi politics and Saudi support for Islamist movements in Iraq. This is while ignoring that in South Yemen, a stronghold of GCC and Southern Yemen rebels/nationalists who've fought against the Yemeni army & Houthis, Al-Qaida and ISIS have been appearing to fight along GCC forces against them (and on one occasion attacking some GCC country's military post). This is while also ignoring how the clerics in Saudi Arabia constantly call for a Jihad againts the heretic Shia muslims, or how they've spread their ideology across the Middle East, Europe and Asia with Asian Muslim countries becoming increasingly more radical in the last two decades and European mosques having radical preachers.

Or as Bandar bin Sultan, a prominent member of the Saudi government, once ambassador to US and the director of GID, once put it:

"The time is not far off in the Middle East, Richard, when it will be literally 'God help the Shia'. More than a billion Sunnis have simply had enough of them."

His quote has proven to be quite accurate given the current situation in the past decade.

Yes. I can clearly see how Saudi Arabia have truly tried their best to just mind their own business, clearly an example for everyone to follow!

A destabilized Saudi Arabia in internal turmoil would be one of the greatest things to happen in Middle East:

1. Country going further bankrupt reducing their influence across the world.
2. A nation that will think twice about setting up another sectarian coalition to commit war crimes and bomb the shit out of Middle East's poorest country.
3. Clerics who will be busy with their own problems instead of inciting hatred towards non-Sunni muslims, fueling conflicts abroad and encouraging their own citizens and about any Sunni muslim to travel abroad and join some Jihad
4. Hopefully a strongly reduced Islamic Saudi influence abroad so there will be less radicalization among European , Asian and even Middle Eastern Sunni muslims.
5. A portion of pissed of citizens who'll think twice about going abroad to blow themselves up instead of fixing their own country. Perhaps they'll blow themselves up in their own country but that's Saudi's problem.
7. Saudi minorities having an opportunity in the middle of all the turmoil to ask for more rights, or even better, demand independence so they can stop being treated like dogs and stop being practice targets for Saudi terrorists. Of course, since they mainly live in the oil-rich regions it doesn't even matter if Saudi Arabia could stop them or not, US and their closest allies would never accept a majority-Shia state to be formed in an oil-rich region.

With regards to Iran, calling their involvement in Iraq as a destabilization would be utterly stupid. In Yemen there's not even any proof of their involvement, and instead it's mostly GCC just screaming "Iran Iran Iran Iran" as soon as there's anyone opposing their rule or geopolitical interest, the same thing they do to their own minorities and interestingly a behavior very similar to their old friend Saddam Hussein. Their hate for Iran, or to be more specific, their hate for Shia muslims is in their blood.

You can argue about Iran's involvement in Syria: it all comes down to if you support "moderate" head chopping, women opressing, sectarian motivated and civilian torturing ISIS-allied rebels who'll kill you for having the wrong faith in their lawless lands, and end up with something similar to Libya, or you could support a secular Baathist dictatorship who doesn't have a problem killing anyone against it (or tortuing people) but with a more resemblance of order compared to the religious theocracy that's being offered. I know which side I'd take and therefore I see Iran as a stabilizing factor.

Speaking of Saudi Arabia and their relation to Syria: Saddam's Baath Regime was hundred times worse than whatever Syria's Baath regime ever did. When the US wanted to invade Iraq Saudi Arabia opposed the plan, stating that it would split Iraq along sectarian lines, something that proved to be accurate. Yet this was an obvious outcome in Syria that anyone could tell but they sure didn't mind that and intensified it. One was under a Sunni leadership, and the other isn't. Hypocritical filth. Keep being an apologist for them though, they are the beacon for humanity.

The day Saudi Arabia goes down is the day fucking cancer is removed from Middle East. I'm sure there's a great mass of young educated people in Saudi Arabia who could take their country in a much better direction, but until then I will have no issue saying it: Fuck Saudi Arabia and fuck their radicalism and most of all fuck their terrorism.

For the entirety of Saudi Arabia's existence, this never happened.
Interesting, thanks. I'd expect some successions in the past to have had strong influence from the clerics but then the monarchy isn't that old is it?

I never said they would do it for religious reasons (some would but many wouldn't), religious leaders can be bought, or thrown in jail if they don't comply. A very famous and popular cleric was tossed in jail recently because he was pro jihad in Syria.

The people look to the clerics regarding matters of religion, a cleric can say "I support X because he is more religious than Y" but if he were to say "I support X because of Y's views on healthcare" no one would care what he thinks, and it would weaken his argument.
You did say they'd go against the king if it was for a very obvious religion reason, and I meant to say that their interest may not lie just in the context of religion. Anyway the last part makes more sense, and overall I think we're more or less saying the same thing. In the end anyone can be bought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom