• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia Agrees to Let Women Drive

Szu

Great, considering how the men drive.

arab-guys-skating-with-slippers-from-moving-car.gif

RDreamer

So insane thinking how backwards they are.

male drivers would not know how to handle women in cars next to them

And this is why Feminism also helps destroy really fucking awful male stereotypes, too.

Exodust

Banned
Good news but god help me in the upcoming days, there will be chaos on the streets

Lol man it's Saudi, it always is chaos in the streets. The women will probably be a lot more sensible then the dude flashing lights and going 220km to reach a McDonald's before prayer time.

I mean, if they honestly thought that, wouldn't a better solution be to ban men from driving? Clearly they can't be trusted with an automobile if they can't handle themselves when seeing other people driving.

L.O.R.D

تبدأ #قيادة_المرأة للسيارة في السعودية في 10-10-1439 هـ وفق الضوابط الشرعية والنظامية المعتمدة .

after 9 month women car drive the car, right after Ramadan and the EID.

Exodust

Banned
I mean, if they honestly thought that, wouldn't a better solution be to ban men from driving? Clearly they can't be trusted with an automobile if they can't handle themselves when seeing other people driving.

It's only used as an excuse to further control women. Nobody believes it but they want others to. Thank god that shit is not getting in the way anymore.

Keri

But some working Saudi women say that hiring private drivers to get them to and from work eats up much of their pay, diminishing the incentive to work.

How awful. In the U.S. its the prohibitive cost of child care that forces many women to abandon their careers or employment outside the home. I can't imagine adding the cost of a private driver into the mix. It's always something, I guess.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Nah I am not gonna give Saudi Arabia any praise for doing something that many other civilised countries have been doing since well the invention of cars.

Saudi Arabia has a long way to go in climbing out of the dark ages.

It's bizarre how many backward countries we have on this little planet. North Korea, Saudi Arabia... and loads more.

Is the US on that list? As I feel that its pretty backwards at times.

Still gotta drive around wearing this tho:

saudi-drive-superJumbo.jpg

Crank up that AC.

Good for SA, hopefully this leads to further progress down the road, and they stop forcing women to cover every centimeter of their face and bodies.

This is no longer enforced by the government. Women still wear it though for various reasons (ie. customs, family pressure, etc..).

It is pretty common not to cover your hair and this like that.

I mean it is obviously a good change, but at the same time this is such a incredibly tiny step on a very long road it feels wrong to give SA positive press for this.
How I feel also.

It continues to amaze me how bizarre the human race is. There must be sign posts all around our solar system saying "DO NOT ENTER" as a warning to enlightened species travelling by.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I expect this to get revoked before it even happens, just wait and see.

Ninja Dom

Gonna be a huge increase in car accidents on the Saudi roads now...

...due to the huge influx of newly qualified inexperienced drivers?

Da-Boom-Tish.

Oberon

Banned
How I feel also.

It continues to amaze me how bizarre the human race is. There must be sign posts all around our solar system saying "DO NOT ENTER" as a warning to enlightened species travelling by.

A lot of people seem to for some reason forget that human rights aren't a given

Weckum

This is one of the reasons Saudi was on the Human Rights committee of the UN. Not because they have a good track record, but because it's a good way to pressure them.

Exodust

Banned
This is no longer enforced by the government. Women still wear it though for various reasons (ie. customs, family pressure, etc..).

It is pretty common not to cover your hair and this like that.

Still not where it should be but there's been progress, I agree.

Shit is extremely different than it was ten years ago, and good. Hopefully it doesn't take another decade for the country to wake up.

Even more bizarre is how many of those countries the US, UK etc., supposedly the bastions of democracy and progressive thinking are allied to.

Oil, man. It's not that hard to understand. It sucks a lot but it's why the US and UK are allied with us.

Just remember, this is why some(all? Not sure on how common the practice is) mosques have separate places for women to pray away from men. Don't want those men being corrupted by impure thoughts if a woman is anywhere around!

Exodust

Banned
Just remember, this is why some(all? Not sure on how common the practice is) mosques have separate places for women to pray away from men. Don't want those men being corrupted by impure thoughts if a woman is anywhere around!

It's all. That probably won't change considering it's very much a big part of Islam. Unlike women driving and the rest which is more sexist than religious.

But Islam is exceptionally shitty towards women. So hopefully in the not so far future we can have a separation of mosque and state type thang where none of the older and outdated bullshit is still parroted because they're afraid of a few bearded men who were too pussy to join ISIS like the rest of the crazies.

mintylurb

Gonna be a huge increase in car accidents on the Saudi roads now...

...due to the huge influx of newly qualified inexperienced drivers?

Da-Boom-Tish.

During the reign of Dragona the first, above post would've resulted in perma ban for you and anyone who quoted it.. ;0

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
until the goverment renounces wahhabism, terrorist funding, and multiple other human rights abuses to its own people and around the globe, this is a hollow victory for women

THE GUY

Banned
It's all. That probably won't change considering it's very much a big part of Islam. Unlike women driving and the rest which is more sexist than religious.

But Islam is exceptionally shitty towards women. So hopefully in the not so far future we can have a separation of mosque and state type thang where none of the older and outdated bullshit is still parroted because they're afraid of a few bearded men who were too pussy to join ISIS like the rest of the crazies.
You lost me right here. I know a bunch of Muslims who have beards and practice their religion, and I don't think they're terrorists, nor do they share any of those radical sentiments.

What's wrong with you?

JustinT

Neo Member
My fiance's boss plans on moving there next year. Her husband is from there, works for the government. It sounds like a terrible idea to move there as a woman, but her husband insists that the king will die soon and everything will be different. Sounds like a risky bet, but whateves.

Still gotta drive around wearing this tho:

saudi-drive-superJumbo.jpg

Crank up that AC.

Good for SA, hopefully this leads to further progress down the road, and they stop forcing women to cover every centimeter of their face and bodies.

I once saw a Woman dressed exactly like that picking up her kids from school in Denver in the most sick, tricked out Escalade possible. It was one of the coolest things I've seen.

Exodust

Banned
You lost me right here. I know a bunch of Muslims who have beards and practice their religion, and I don't think they're terrorists, nor do they share any of those radical sentiments.

What's wrong with you?

I have nothing against moderate muslims or muslims who stick to the good virtues of peace. But if you have a society that fully reads religious text as law, you'll have a lot of problematic rulings and laws be it any religion. Islam is exceptionally shittier to women in that respect. So for women to have a better place in arabic society(implying they don't already have it rough everywhere else) you're going have to separate the law from taking an ancient religion literally.

I grew up in a muslim household in Saudi Arabia. I left the religion a while ago while my parents, siblings and friends are muslim and I love them to death. But taking a religion from older times and applying it as law will always get in the way of social progress. I say this from experience living in Islam everyday. Whether I like it or not.

And yes, the zealots have been in control of all conversation on the subject for the longest time. How do you think shit like ISIS and AL-Qaeda happened? Because way back in the aftermath of the grand mosque seizure, King Khalid decided to turn the country more islamic to avoid anything resembling the event. That was an incredibly idiotic decision as it lead to empowering extremists to further their agendas both in public and in private. It's exactly why it took this long for women to be allowed to drive.

Afrikan

Others argued that allowing women to drive would lead to promiscuity and the collapse of the Saudi family. One cleric claimed — with no evidence — that driving harmed women’s ovaries.

this almost just got me in trouble at work.

Progress is progress

How thirsty are Saudi men if they lose their mind with a woman in a car next to them?

I know I've seen men here in the US lose their shit at a stop light when an attractive woman pulls up beside them.

Nonetheless, progress is progress. Kind of absurd to be reading a headline like this in 2017, but I guess it's a victory in its own way.

THE GUY

Banned
I have nothing against moderate muslims or muslims who stick to the good virtues of peace. But if you have a society that fully reads religious text as law, you'll have a lot of problematic rulings and laws be it any religion. Islam is exceptionally shittier to women in that respect. So for women to have a better place in arabic society(implying they don't already have it rough everywhere else) you're going have to separate the law from taking an ancient religion literally.

I grew up in a muslim household in Saudi Arabia. I left the religion a while ago while my parents, siblings and friends are muslim and I love them to death. But taking a religion from older times and applying it as law will always get in the way of social progress. I say this from experience living in Islam everyday. Whether I like it or not.

And yes, the zealots have been in control of all conversation on the subject for the longest time. How do you think shit like ISIS and AL-Qaeda happened? Because way back in the aftermath of the grand mosque seizure, King Khalid decided to turn the country more islamic to avoid anything resembling the event. That was an incredibly idiotic decision as it lead to empowering extremists to further their agendas both in public and in private. It's exactly why it took this long for women to be allowed to drive.
None of what you said here is in relation to the part of your comment I took umbrage with.

I took issue with this:
because they're afraid of a few bearded men who were too pussy to join ISIS like the rest of the crazies.
You painting all bearded men, and by extension, anyone who practices that religion as someone who's crazy and likening them to a terrorist organization.

You may have grown up in a Muslim household and left the religion, but you're on an international forum, and there are people who have beards today that are very much affected by this kind of toxic attitude because their appearance has made them a target of hate. Many of them are decent individuals. And it's not restricted to Muslims either because other men of colour with beards like that become a target by extension because they look like what a "Muslim" is supposed to look like.

You want to rail against the religion, that's fine. The problem is when you start using attributes that apply to both normal members of the religion and some terrorists (because surprise, there are many ISIS members without beards) and conflating the two.

And ISIS didn't just happen because of Saudi Arabia. That's a simplistic and idiotic point of view. There's plenty of blame to go around for them.

Top Bottom