• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia Agrees to Let Women Drive

Dalek

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/26/...eakingNews&contentID=65876973&pgtype=Homepage

Saudi Arabia announced on Tuesday that it would allow women to drive, overturning a longstanding policy that has become a global symbol of the repression of women in the ultraconservative kingdom.

The change, which will not happen immediately, was announced on state television and in a simultaneous media event in Washington. It highlights the damage that the policy has done to the kingdom's international reputation and its hopes for a public relations benefit from the reform.

Saudi Arabia, the birthplace of Islam, is a Muslim monarchy ruled according to Shariah law. Saudi officials and clerics have provided numerous explanations for the ban over the years.

Some said that it was inappropriate in Saudi culture for women to drive, or that male drivers would not know how to handle women in cars next to them. Others argued that allowing women to drive would lead to promiscuity and the collapse of the Saudi family. One cleric claimed — with no evidence — that driving harmed women's ovaries.

Rights groups have long campaigned for the ban to be overturned, and some women have been arrested and jailed for defying the ban and taking the wheel.

But the momentum to overturn the ban has picked up in recent years with the rise of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, a 32-year-old son of the king who has laid out a far-reaching plan to reform the kingdom's economy and society.

Beyond the effects it could have on Saudi Arabia's image abroad, letting women drive could help the Saudi economy.

Low oil prices have limited the government jobs that many Saudis have long relied on, and the kingdom is trying to push more citizens into gainful employment, including women. But some working Saudi women say that hiring private drivers to get them to and from work eats up much of their pay, diminishing the incentive to work.

cwmartin

male drivers would not know how to handle women in cars next to them

Some said that it was inappropriate in Saudi culture for women to drive, or that male drivers would not know how to handle women in cars next to them. Others argued that allowing women to drive would lead to promiscuity and the collapse of the Saudi family. One cleric claimed — with no evidence — that driving harmed women’s ovaries.

tumblr_lxbd7k8zrF1qi6914o1_500.gif

Clydefrog

Almost as if Saudi Arabia is full of GAF-Mans

2443585-gaf+man.png

TheContact

Like what does this mean? They’d see a woman and lose their shit and drive into a wall or lake?

Glix

Like what does this mean? They’d see a woman and lose their shit and drive into a wall or lake?

I mean, the Vice President can't handle being alone in a room with one, why should we expect Saudi Arabians to be any different?

Exodust

Banned
FINALLY!!

Happy that my Saudi sisters get to take advantage of low gas prices like the rest of us. Now get that forced hijab shit outta here.

Jumeira

Banned
Great news. Baby steps i know but its still good to see for the millions of women who reside there. Screw the religious police, get out of here with that nonsense.

Your country and economy can only grow of you allow your womem to participate equally.

BajiBoxer

Banned
I'm thinking more along the lines of violent road rage incidents.

I'm glad this Saudi Prince was able to see how stupid this policy is. It's a loooooong road to Saudi women being treated like human beings.

Jenov

Still gotta drive around wearing this tho:

saudi-drive-superJumbo.jpg

Crank up that AC.

Good for SA, hopefully this leads to further progress down the road, and they stop forcing women to cover every centimeter of their face and bodies.

Terrible things will happen. Put a woman in a car physically next to a man and who knows what he will do. He may do something reprehensible like...I dunno, behave like a hedonistic Saudi prince behind closed doors or something.

Sarek

I mean it is obviously a good change, but at the same time this is such a incredibly tiny step on a very long road it feels wrong to give SA positive press for this.

Oberon

Banned
Things like this makes you appreaciate to live in a country were somebody else did the hard lifting as far human rights goes.
What are countries around the world even doing? How can you pretent to be on the side of human rights and freedom while giving this gouverment more power?
But Nooo, let's sell them weapons and not directly adress it.
I bet _some_ people are jealous of SA, they WISH they could get away with what they are.

I mean it is obviously a good change, but at the same time this is such a incredibly tiny step on a very long road it feels wrong to give SA positive press for this.

The internent made people really inpatient. Of course in a global way this is nothing. But this like China unbanning whatapps or something. It's certainly a good thing relative to the country

Madness

Others argued that allowing women to drive would lead to promiscuity and the collapse of the Saudi family. One cleric claimed — with no evidence — that driving harmed women’s ovaries.

My god man...

So does the law that women need to have a male chaperone accompanying at all times in pubic still apply while driving? I guess so :/

KmA

Some said that it was inappropriate in Saudi culture for women to drive, or that male drivers would not know how to handle women in cars next to them. Others argued that allowing women to drive would lead to promiscuity and the collapse of the Saudi family. One cleric claimed — with no evidence — that driving harmed women’s ovaries.

This paragraph is so funny in how it drags Saudi. "With no evidence" lmfaoooo

But this is great news! However... I pray for these women lmao. The one time I was in Saudi, we were on this bus taking local streets to get to our destination. The bus driver was making this really sharp right turn and he couldn't make it because there were parked cars on the curb. So literally 6-7 big guys on the bus got out, PICKED UP THE CAR THAT WAS IN THE WAY, placed it a few meters back, and we kept fucking going. It was... a surreal moment for me. Driving rules do not exist there.

ZiZ

Still gotta drive around wearing this tho:

saudi-drive-superJumbo.jpg

Crank up that AC.

Good for SA, hopefully this leads to further progress down the road, and they stop forcing women to cover every centimeter of their face and bodies.

Covering the face is no longer enforced in public.

So does the law that women need to have a male chaperone accompanying at all times in pubic still apply while driving? I guess so :/

This hasn't been enforced for years.

Sesha

About time.

They'll doom and gloom for a few years, and then most will move on to the next battlefield, with a few "good old days" stragglers.

Top Bottom