• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi arabia annouced they offically allowing to open cinemas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanood

A translation might help. I suspect most posters here aren't able to read that.
My translation isn't perfect though.

"We would like to inform you that the news (about the cinema) are false, and there's no official report for persons or parts of government as mentiond in that news."

Unconfirmed Member
Due to the fiscal austerity Saudi Arabia will have to undertake, The Saudi royal family can no longer buy obedience through providing a low cost-of-living and massive welfare system. More freedom, such as opening cinemas and allowing women to vote, will have to be given to its' citizens to stop social unrest.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
i think blood is ok , but beheaded scene are nor allowed

anyway , her what censorship look movies in Kuwait

CWHTL_5UYAQGtCj.jpg

CWHTL_5UAAQIWd0.jpg

so , i am excepting something like this

qlnLbyN.jpg

Ha, we've been debating whether it will be worth it to go see star wars here in Kuwait. We haven't been to a movie at the cinema yet so we weren't sure how chopped it will be.

Fox318

What exactly do people do for fun there?

You can't drink, no movies, I don't think there is a huge history of sport outside of soccer expansion.

Naar

A translation might help. I suspect most posters here aren't able to read that.

its 2 tweets back to back saying something along the lines of

"due to what has been spreading around the news media today, nothing has been announced about launching a theatre in saudi arabia and that news is false"

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Ahahahahaha.
What exactly do people do for fun there?

You can't drink, no movies, I don't think there is a huge history of sport outside of soccer expansion.
GAF'ing and gaming 24/7 ;_;

Denton

Mindblowing. I had no idea there were no cinemas there.

Wahabbism really fucked things up hard, hasn't it ?

Mindblowing. I had no idea there were no cinemas there.

Wahabbism really fucked things up hard, hasn't it ?
I mean, Wahabbism is how Saudi Arabia started in the first place and has continued to be the official radical belief school for the whole country :p

NEO0MJ

congratulations saudia arabia on the two hours of cinema

It's funny in that there are actually a few cinemas, but they only air local movies or are for local film festivals. There's also cinemas inside a few compounds though they only show movies months after release.

Wonder if they'll show Wadjda. It's a really wonderful film, and it's the first film made by a woman in Saudi Arabia. The making of it is fascinating.

wadjda-movie-poster-2013-1020768385.jpg

L.O.R.D

Translate it please...? You post the originals like we all speak this

the last tweet ?

the General Commission for Audiovisual Media them self announced through the national news TV that there will be movie theaters

now they deny it using the same tweeter account that announce the first one.

Ogodei

These overtures in Saudia are interesting to see. Like with the whole "women's suffrage in local elections" they did recently.

Do you have a read on why this is finally happening, OP? Do you think it's related to the government trying to pre-empt reform from below with a few tactical concession reforms from above?

Dishwalla

Banned
Is Bahrain like way more liberal than SA or something? On one of my trips there I remember seeing part of the film Chasing Amy on TV which surprised me given just the theme of the movie(the main female character being a lesbian).

Is Bahrain like way more liberal than SA or something? On one of my trips there I remember seeing part of the film Chasing Amy on TV which surprised me given just the theme of the movie(the main female character being a lesbian).

Bahrain is more free than Saudi Arabia yes. In fact, all gulf countries are.

These overtures in Saudia are interesting to see. Like with the whole "women's suffrage in local elections" they did recently.

Do you have a read on why this is finally happening, OP? Do you think it's related to the government trying to pre-empt reform from below with a few tactical concession reforms from above?

most reforms are from the former King before he die... they are now actually becoming law since there was a specific date/schedule for it

some other like the new labour laws and rights I believe are new

they are also planning on opening up their economy more to the public like how they did for their stocks this year

like UAE I can see more new laws being applied more and more due to opening their economy and new cities to the international body

aren't Indian films kinda popular in the middle east and the more conservative cultures of the world because they already largely confirm to self-censorship?

People I know who are originally from such parts of the world are still into that stuff, even after they've lived in America for many years, understandable, as mainstream American cinema is sadly lacking in song and dance numbers (seriously, that shit is awesome).

L.O.R.D

i think the government is taking every thing slowly
in 1996 when satellite came in, when someone install Satellite dish on his house , everyone look at him like he made huge sin

and when mobiles with camera came in , same thing , the government denied it
after 2-3 years it become normal

i think it will take another 2-3 year to allow women to drive.

we can critize ass backward world views and ideologies - we have a right to be snarky that this is news in 2015.

yeah but this isn't an ass backwards thing, this is the opposite.. them stepping away at least a little bit from ass backwardness. that's why it's kind of a dick move to be snarky, imo.

hugocésar;189056372 said:
Wonder if they'll show Wadjda. It's a really wonderful film, and it's the first film made by a woman in Saudi Arabia. The making of it is fascinating.

wadjda-movie-poster-2013-1020768385.jpg
What a way to direct a film under ridiculous restrictions!

Wadjda was filmed on the streets of Riyadh, which often made it necessary for the director to work from the back of a van, as she could not publicly mix with the men in the crew. Often, she could only communicate via walkie-talkie and had to watch the actors on a monitor. This made it difficult to direct: "It made me realise the need to rehearse and to develop an understanding for each scene before we shot it."

Christopher

What a way to direct a film under ridiculous restrictions!

Wadjda was filmed on the streets of Riyadh, which often made it necessary for the director to work from the back of a van, as she could not publicly mix with the men in the crew. Often, she could only communicate via walkie-talkie and had to watch the actors on a monitor. This made it difficult to direct: "It made me realise the need to rehearse and to develop an understanding for each scene before we shot it."

Why thought what's the reason for this

saher

Banned
It was really bad the last time i went to see a movie in dubai,i went to see legend(tom hardy) and they cut alot of scenes...

I can't imagine how it will be in ksa.

M3d10n

Weren't fictional books banned at some point since they were considered a form of lying? Saudi Arabia is gonna Saudi Arabia I guess.

ZiZ

It is very likely that cinemas will be allowed within the next couple of years, if I had to bet I'd put my money on 2017.

There are a few large malls being built and if you look at the blueprints you'll find that there are areas that look like they are meant to be cinemas.

Weren't fictional books banned at some point since they were considered a form of lying? Saudi Arabia is gonna Saudi Arabia I guess.

huh? no. where do people come up with these?

Women voting AND cinemas opening in the same week? That's going way too far.

this is the year Shenmue 3, and the FFVII Remake were announced. anything is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom