• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save A Life: Naughty Dog fan leather smith fighting cancer (Last stretch ~1.1k left!)

nampad

Good to hear, was it via Western Union in the end? I've still had no response from him

Yes, it was through Western Union.

Glad you finally received the refund, nampad. In my case, I am just worn out of this. No responses from that post that I wrote weeks ago.
I feel stupid, but I totally learnt a lesson. I do not know... It is the first I have to deal with this kind of situation, never happened to me before. Can I still do something even though I live in Spain?

If you used Paypal without a credit card, I don't think so. Was pretty much the same for me.

Glad you finally received the refund, nampad. In my case, I am just worn out of this. No responses from that post that I wrote weeks ago.
I feel stupid, but I totally learnt a lesson. I do not know... It is the first I have to deal with this kind of situation, never happened to me before. Can I still do something even though I live in Spain?

same situation here, spain. I told him he can keep the donation for the raffle (even if I won and i'll never see anything of it), but the purchase of the uncharted wrist band is something else. I live in spain aswell. I paid through paypal and i'm starting to think of having to place an issue of some sort, but I don't really want to affect him negatively because... it's not cool.

I used PP with credit card, but if I do a chargeback or anything paypal will go down on me right? lol

I haven't asked for or received a refund. Probably too late since I ordered on Paypal.

I would like a clear explanation for what actually happened.

Crazy its almost been a year. Am I ever going to get my Clicker Bust?

Still nothing back from him since my last email on the 17th, I've sent him 4 emails since he last contacted me on the 14th August and I've had no response to any of them, even though I've seen him posting to his Facebook page etc and is clearly in contact with others.

kubus

This thing is so depressing, I've officially given up on David now.

In the time that we gave him to recover and set things straight, all he has done is make empty promises and disappear right after. As always.

I still don't know if this was a scam or not and that makes this so sad.

I really really regret making this thread because so many kind Gaffers are now without their promised products, with no refunds and not even a clue whether their contribution actually helped the guy or just helped him get rich.

I am so sorry everyone :(.

No one could have predicted this, kubus; you did a good thing starting this thread, and we all did a good thing donating, but unfortunately sometimes things take a turn and we just have to deal with it. I know I've learned a lesson from this - even if it's a sad one - that the internet can still be a shitty, uncertain place and you need to be careful what you do with your money.

NateDrake

This thing is so depressing, I've officially given up on David now.

In the time that we gave him to recover and set things straight, all he has done is make empty promises and disappear right after. As always.

I still don't know if this was a scam or not and that makes this so sad.

I really really regret making this thread because so many kind Gaffers are now without their promised products, with no refunds and not even a clue whether their contribution actually helped the guy or just helped him get rich.

I am so sorry everyone :(.

I don't blame you or even him for whatever has happened. I donated, didn't get a refund (as far as I know), and won't even look into a refund - mainly because I don't recall what I gave as it was a few donations & if this was a scam then he needs the money more than I do. I do feel bad for those who donated, won the raffle/bought product, & have nothing to show for it. (I actually won one of the raffles, but that is another whatever situation).

For those who haven't been refunded yet do what Kentist said and try to get a chargeback/refund from your credit card company, I was luckily able to get one yesterday. Like others have said it isn't your fault kubus, just took a turn for the worst. Just a shitty situation all around.

It's also ridiculous that PayPal doesn't help you if the date of purchase was more than 45 days ago, especially when our products wouldn't have shipped until way passed that timeline. They're attitude is pathetic, basically saying we're shit out of luck when a lot of us spent a lot of money.

For those who haven't been refunded yet do what Kentist said and try to get a chargeback/refund from your credit card company, I was luckily able to get one yesterday. Like others have said it isn't your fault kubus, just took a turn for the worst. Just a shitty situation all around.

It's also ridiculous that PayPal doesn't help you if the date of purchase was more than 45 days ago, especially when our products wouldn't have shipped until way passed that timeline. They're attitude is pathetic, basically saying we're shit out of luck when a lot of us spent a lot of money.

Yep I will be calling my bank tonight, I have emailed him on the same address we have been in contact on and given him another week to reply. I will be going down the refund route, I have all my emails between him, GoFundMe and also the helper that he had that was promising the goods too.

Well another update, David attempted a bank transfer last Friday but that apparently bounced yesterday, (I'm willing to believe this) but he has sent through a Western Union receipt/reference straight away which I will go collect tonight as no places were open before work.

It seems as though he will come through on the refunds, but it may be taking some time. So just be patient with him. I never threatened any action and just tried working with him for the best solution which sometimes seemed like hitting my head on a wall or talking to myself. But I guess things must be pretty manic and bad in his life right now.

Edit - Was a local WU collection point close by, picked it up from there. All resolved. £30 down in currency exchange but after all this time, i'm not complaining.

kubus

Edit - Was a local WU collection point close by, picked it up from there. All resolved. £30 down in currency exchange but after all this time, i'm not complaining.
So glad to hear this.

Here's a message from David by the way, for all others that are still waiting for their refunds:

I'm continuing to give people their refunds. It's just taking time. I'm all alone in this with no help because after going through what I did I can't trust anyone. One member got his refund through western union because that was the only solution we could come up with. I'm giving that option to everyone to resolve this for them. I'm back and forth with my own things and helping them. This isn't going to stop. I'm not just leaving this alone. I'm going to continue and take care of everyone one by one until this is all fixed.

I'm sorry that you've given up on me but I'm messaging you to let you know I haven't given up on fixing this.

I've also been giving refunds to those on this page. You can read in the comments and message them directly for reassurance.

Again I'm not giving up and I'm sorry about all of this.

If you really want your money back, AbandonedTrolley proved that it is possible to get a refund (and I also got my refund a couple months back). David might not be the easiest to communicate with, but assuming this whole ordeal wasn't a scam, he could still be in bad health and financial trouble (I know that doesn't justify any broken promises and sudden disappearances, but, you know...)

It's worth a try, maybe.

Jacqli

I forgot to say that I already have my money back (well, around a month ago). It was via Western Union, which I have to admit I felt a bit bad due to the high taxes, and he was really open to refund the money. There was a problem with my surname, but he resolved it in a matter of days.

As a more personal note, I do not know, he refunded me the money and I feel glad, but, at the same time, I do not feel like I thought I would do, perhaps for what I mentioned before about the taxes. Also, I think this is my last time giving money blindly.

Anyway, what about the rest of you?

Did anyone ever get their leather back pack?
I never knew about any of this and really like that bag. The whole situation seems unfortunate and does not seem like he will ever make things again. Hopefully ill find someone with a similar design

Seems David is back on his feet, hopefully for good this time and making right all what went wrong.

kppzPq3.png

FYC

Banned
Has anyone heard from David recently? It's been a while. Hope you're doing better now David.

No one could have predicted this, kubus; you did a good thing starting this thread, and we all did a good thing donating, but unfortunately sometimes things take a turn and we just have to deal with it. I know I've learned a lesson from this - even if it's a sad one - that the internet can still be a shitty, uncertain place and you need to be careful what you do with your money.

I agree. Don't feel bad Kubus!

Has anyone heard from David recently? It's been a while. Hope you're doing better now David.

I agree. Don't feel bad Kubus!

Not heard anything but then my issue was resolved, seems there is this on his Facebook page though.

Sam Cobz My experience with That Vigilante. Delete comments, Skype messages that end suddenly and a message that could be the start of progress http://imgur.com/a/A4VbD
Like · Reply · Yesterday at 06:40

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Given it's now 2016, I think it's safe to say that if you haven't been given your money back, then you're out of luck.

kubus

Ugh, every time I see this thread in my subscriptions turn orange again all those horrible memories of this mess come back again. I read through that imgur compilation, and while I'm at least glad to see that David is still kicking (something I've been pondering about recently :/) it's also sad that there has been zero improvement in the communication department.

It's been, what, two years? And we're still in the dark of what truly happened. I wish David or Christine or Jason or whoever would just tell us what went down. I don't even know if these people are real. Such a shitty thing to realize after all that money the kind people here pledged, not to mention the cool people in the industry such as some employees at Guerrilla who also raised a ton of money. And the people at Naughty Dog, etc.

I really really really hope that everything was legit and that we did indeed save his life. But it would be really nice if we at least got some closure. As much as it hurts to see this topic bumped, if anyone gets in contact with David or sees an update, please let us know.

I keep sending an e-mail to "his" address every few months asking what the score is even though I'm sure that mailbox is likely an unchecked dumping ground :/

It may not have started out as a scam, but it certainly turned into one pretty quickly.

I'm not even sure it turned in to one tbh.

The people that set up the fund raiser on Davids behalf somehow thought they would have the skills and stock to produce those items, which it soon became clear they didn't but by that point it seems the funds had been spent on care etc. David then tried/is trying to make things right, but yeah communication is poor. Had that have been better I'm sure half the negative stuff relating to this wouldn't have happened.

Etzer

I saw this thread pop up in my Subscriptions and thought there was news.

I really want to know the full story behind this, but I don't expect to ever find out. :(

ithebigc

Neo Member
I actually forgot all about this until I saw this thread pop back up right now. I donated $150 back in 2013 and never ended up receiving the backpack, but because I assumed he needed it for treatment I didn't think much of it during those first initial months and then promptly forgot about it after. Now I come back to see that I was probably scammed. That's...disappointing, to say the least.

If we had confirmation that he had at least used it for treatment, that would be better, but right now it seems like I just gave $150 to an untrustworthy stranger when I could've donated it towards any number of other legitimate causes.

Top Bottom