• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Save A Life: Naughty Dog fan leather smith fighting cancer (Last stretch ~1.1k left!)

Just out of interest I contacted GoFundMe today asking how they would be processing my refund as my card had expired.

They said that they were unable to process refunds due to the age of the transaction..

It would not be possible for us to process this refund. The donation is too old and has already been settled by the card company. Any donations will need to be sorted out wit the page creator directly.

If you have any concerns, please let us know.

Mason

So after asking them

So am i right in thinking that what the page creator is saying regarding you ' refunding everyone at once' isn't true, if you're not able to process them due to age? I believe a lot of people are waiting for these and it seems you're not in any position to proceed with them?

They responded saying

The page creator may have something else in mind for crediting these refunds, but I would recommend asking him for clarification.

If you believe he is committing fraud or breaking the law in anyway, please contact local law enforcement. We will be happy to assist them in any investigation related to this page.

I will be forwarding this to our security team as well.

Thank you.

Mason

So currently I don't believe that mass refunds have been requested for this. If anyone has had a refund from this apparent bulk refund process I'd be interested to hear. I know some people had individual refunds processed but as far as I'm aware no one has received one from supposed mass refund that was organised for everyone

From what we've been told anyone who donated through GoFundMe should have been refunded by the 14th.

Also if there has been contact sorting this out then surely that would have been in notes for the page or something.

The FB page has people saying they have not heard anything in some time, 10th May was the last post.

Just seems like the pattern before. We'll hear back shortly and it will be XYZ why it didn't happen and things will be ok by Friday. Come Friday, Tuesday by the latest.

I'd be more inclined to trust but I've always been wary that for as big of an issue as this was there has been no mass contact by email (with Jackson proved could be done with constant funding reminders), no mention on the website, no mention on twitter, and just two comments about the subject on Facebook - buried in an old post about our items being shipped.

Krentist

Neo Member
Mine will be interesting as the card that I paid on has now expired... I'm not sure if they just pay back in to the account or not.

I was in a similar position with my now-expired card.... it took a couple extra business days but the refund was eventually processed to my existing account with my new card.

There's also a guy in the FB comments that claims he even placed an order when the site was still an Etsy store and still hasn't received his stuff. At this point I have no clue what's going on there, but I think people should be assuming that they're just never going to be getting these items... aside from the maybe 2-3 people that supposedly got single belt buckle orders.

Kelpie

I bought a backpack in December and a pencil holder in February though the website using PayPal but didn't receive either. I just tried to open disputes for the transactions through PayPal and they were immediately closed because they were older than 45 days. That's $200 just gone :( I really wanted that backpack. I don't think I'll ever participate in this kind of fundraiser again. I should have just donated a few dollars and moved on.

kubus

Just out of interest I contacted GoFundMe today asking how they would be processing my refund as my card had expired.

They said that they were unable to process refunds due to the age of the transaction..

So after asking them

They responded saying

So currently I don't believe that mass refunds have been requested for this. If anyone has had a refund from this apparent bulk refund process I'd be interested to hear. I know some people had individual refunds processed but as far as I'm aware no one has received one from supposed mass refund that was organised for everyone
What the hell... David clearly told me that GoFundMe was handling the refunds.

If you add everything up, this whole thing is screaming scam. I really really really don't want it to be true, but... even if David is being honest, the situation hasn't gotten any better than when Jackson was in charge.

I was able to receive my refund through a charge back. Processed by the credit card company I made the purchase with.

I'd recommend that same course of action for others having problems.

Krentist

Neo Member
I bought a backpack in December and a pencil holder in February though the website using PayPal but didn't receive either. I just tried to open disputes for the transactions through PayPal and they were immediately closed because they were older than 45 days. That's $200 just gone :( I really wanted that backpack. I don't think I'll ever participate in this kind of fundraiser again. I should have just donated a few dollars and moved on.

It might not be gone... Call your credit card's company and tell them about the situation. I had a case where I had preordered something (unrelated to this stuff) that was almost a year ago, but had to dispute it earlier this year. I had paid with paypal, and I chose to go right over their head and go directly to the CC company itself. They credited me back my money, and they might do the same with you, because you paid for services you did not receive. You'd be surprised how often your CC will side with you against a merchant who denied you your agreed-upon items. Just try explaining your story to them and see what they can do.

Call your credit card company. Pretend Paypal doesn't exist in this equation.

cebri.one

Wow, what a total clusterfuck. I really don't want to position myself on whether this is a scam or not. Pancreatic Cancer is a very serious business and i don't want to fuck up. However i believe David should have gotten the money only trough donations, that would have prevented a lot of problems.

finalexit

This has all sounded like a scam since I read that he was having curative surgery for metastatic pancreatic cancer. If pancreatic cancer has spread there is little hope in a cure and most hospitals will only offer palliative care.

When my dad had pancreatic cancer he was told if they found any mets during his whipple they'd stitch him up without performing the procedure because it wouldn't even buy him any time.

I'm in the same boat. Going to call my bank tomorrow and hope for the best. Staying the fuck away from fundraisers now. I kinda feel like an ass for falling for it...

Evilz29

Neo Member
Hello everyone,

I received a refund notification today from his store, I made a purchase with my credit card back in November

Dear Andrew,

That Vigilante has refunded your order (#) a total of $150.00 USD for:

1x Post Apocalypse Survival Backpack (Plain Design) - Post Apocalyptic Survival Backpack

I will update when the funds are transferred back to my credit card

Eknots

Got my refund email just a few minutes ago, can anyone recap what exactly happened? I haven't followed much since he got surgery

Donated some Bitcoins a few months ago and got a refund email too. I am not using that wallet anymore so now they are just gone. He should have just kept it :(

geetec

Neo Member
Call your credit card company. Pretend Paypal doesn't exist in this equation.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

The problem with this is (at least in the UK) when you fill in the form to claim the money back the credit card company or the bank will identify it as fraud. So I'm worried they'll trace it back to David.

I don't want the guy getting into any more trouble than he already is in. I'll give him some more time to clear up the air before I decide to fill out the claim form.

kubus

I've also received my refund confirmation email. Seems like they're being sent out in batches?

Got my refund email just a few minutes ago, can anyone recap what exactly happened? I haven't followed much since he got surgery
Ehhh well basically the shipment date for all the orders kept getting delayed and the people running the campaign were making a mess, making false promises and stuff. Around last month David (the guy who is actually sick) found out, fired those people and took over. He promised to make things right and refund everyone, but it has taken some time because he's still recovering. Looks like something might be happening now, with the refund emails getting out.

Keihart

Hello everyone,

I received a refund notification today from his store, I made a purchase with my credit card back in November

Dear Andrew,

That Vigilante has refunded your order (#) a total of $150.00 USD for:

1x Post Apocalypse Survival Backpack (Plain Design) - Post Apocalyptic Survival Backpack

I will update when the funds are transferred back to my credit card

I got the same email today.

Just checked my paypal and these asshats really closed it cause the 45 days. So much for being the safest way to pay, this whole situation has been nothing but horrible.

jesu

I followed this story since I was a lurker.
Way back on page 17, post #841 was this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106167713&postcount=841

Just so you all know, I'm not fully aware of everything thats been going on with this. I heard about the guys troubles at first and that's about it but I recently had someone contact me who was pretty upset with how they're being treated in regards to the communication between David, his girlfriend Cortney and the people who donated to help.

I'm just going to post here what I was sent. I've scanned through it all to make sure it's not full of crap and it all seems to hold up pretty watertight. This person has obviously done their research. I just feel they should be given the chance to voice their concern.

** From someone called Z:

"I've been suspicious of David Vigil since last year when another fundraiser for his cancer appeared again. I jumped on board for the first campaign in 2012 to help his cause and I felt nothing but relief when I heard it was a success. The weird thing that bothered me was that we were left in the dark about so many things and we're simply told via text from a third party on David's condition only it wasn't by "Jackson" last time, it was by a girl named "Cortney Kitchen" see link for reference and details.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/he...-the-vigilante

You will also notice the same pictures from that campaign are used on the current campaign.

I started to do some digging on this Cortney person, because I found it odd that she wasn't behind the campaign this time and instead it's this faceless Jackson person with 13 friends on a recently made Facebook account. I found that her and David have a wedding registry set up and are scheduled to be wed sometime this Summer.

http://registry.theknot.com/cortney-...014-ca/4645328

I also found her Pinterest page that confirms her identity and it contains links to her twitter account and Facebook account.

http://www.pinterest.com/cknautical/pins/

https://www.facebook.com/cortney.kitchen.31

After doing some digging around there, I found what appears to be a personal Facebook page for David Vigil.

https://www.facebook.com/PSVigilante?fref=ts

If you scan David's page you will see it is private and the only option you have is a message button. The add feature is not there.

You will also see a post with David on what looks like an ATV with his future bride to be and if you look at the likes and comments you can put two and two together that he has friends and family commenting and liking it.

One comment is even from David himself.

Now this was posted February 10th and one would think that David could at least update everyone about his status personally since he has time to play around on his personal Facebook account. It was only 11 days before that status was up that there was a picture of him and his grandmother on the support page Facebook account.

I looked for a sign that his friends and family might know what he does for a living, but on his Facebook page I found an old link different from the one being used now.

http://vigilanteleather.com/maintenance/

Another thing I found funny is that the friends and relatives of David in no way shape or form attempted to promote David's cause.

Some of the profiles are public and I was able to scroll through them and not one of them mention or link the cause at all.

I find it extremely weird that the people David are the closest to do not even mention anything about donating to help fight his cancer battle.

Another strange thing is that I checked his Facebook name PSVigilante and I think I found his PlayStation ID as well and according to the play history he has been pretty active according to his profile.

http://psnprofiles.com/PSVigilante

Like I said I find it funny that David can't update people himself, but he's got time to do other things. People have been left in the dark and this is just like when I donated the first time and still haven't received my product.

We were promised video updates, instagram updates, and we're always left with sincere apologies about delays and not getting updated, I'm not buying it anymore. David couldn't fulfill orders from the previous fundraiser and I don't expect him to do it again.

I also found this link with people complaining about the shadiness of some items they were auctioning on Ebay to raise money for the last campaign.

http://collectorsedition.org/forums/...ead.php?t=9567

The person advertising for David there is Cortney, but she only refers to David as a "friend" there became an issue when someone did not receive what was listed and the account was banned.

The Ebay account links to a profile with 2 negative feedback claims saying that both items were a scam. You can see that here and please note it says that they use the paypal name Vigilante Leather.

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayIS...edbackAsSeller

I've been hoping that I am paranoid and overanalyzing things, and that all of what I've speculated on and found could be refuted because I can not imagine someone doing something as low as this. I can't forgive myself if this all wound up being an elaborate scam and I stood by and did nothing about it. I'm still hoping I'm paranoid, but I feel like asking logical questions will maybe bring David out to address things and provide proof other than false promises on products we were supposed to receive.

Thank you."

Why after all that did people still think it wasn't a scam?
(the links in my quote won't work but go to post #841 and they will

kubus

I followed this story since I was a lurker.
Way back on page 17, post #841 was this
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106167713&postcount=841

Why after all that did people still think it wasn't a scam?
(the links in my quote won't work but go to post #841 and they will

Coincidentally, I asked David about a couple of these things today. Here's what he had to say:

David said:
As for what you mentioned about me getting married and my PSN account. My little cousin Benjamin who is a gamer has been using my account through his system. He didn't have any games so before I got sick I let him borrow my account so he can go through my download history and have a good amount of games to play. I already got married. We were planning for July to have a small get together and get married with just our close family but instead we went to the courthouse and got married. This was nothing at all big since I can't do any traveling. We just signed papers and then had a nice day with my family. She has been there for me for whatever I needed and she didn't care that I might not make it. All she wanted was to get married and for us to be together.

Make of that what you will. We will find out pretty soon if everything is legit or not, since people have been getting refund confirmations through email.

Also, I've already explained why I find it hard to believe that this is a scam. I've ordered David's products before he got sick and he was really kind and I got my item in no time, exactly as described. I know that that doesn't exclude anything, but it seems weird to me that someone would throw all of that away and start some scamming campaign. The stuff that he created is real as you can see in the pictures. Why scam when you have such cool products that everybody already want to buy from you. Unless he got extremely greedy or something, but, yeah...

It doesn't add up, so I'm willing to give David the benefit of the doubt. But once again, we'll see soon.

Finally, there is a big possibility that David is legitimately sick, so I would like to ask of people not to try and harass his family on facebook for answers or anything like that. Please stay respectful until we know more. (Not a jab at you, jesu, just trying to prevent things, in case people want to start investigating)

jesu

Coincidentally, I asked David about a couple of these things today. Here's what he had to say:

Make of that what you will. We will find out pretty soon if everything is legit or not, since people have been getting refund confirmations through email.

Also, I've already explained why I find it hard to believe that this is a scam. I've ordered David's products before he got sick and he was really kind and I got my item in no time, exactly as described. I know that that doesn't exclude anything, but it seems weird to me that someone would throw all of that away and start some scamming campaign. The stuff that he created is real as you can see in the pictures. Why scam when you have such cool products that everybody already want to buy from you. Unless he got extremely greedy or something, but, yeah...

It doesn't add up, so I'm willing to give David the benefit of the doubt. But once again, we'll see soon.

Finally, there is a big possibility that David is legitimately sick, so I would like to ask of people not to try and harass his family on facebook for answers or anything like that. Please stay respectful until we know more. (Not a jab at you, jesu, just trying to prevent things, in case people want to start investigating)

Did he address this..

Another thing I found funny is that the friends and relatives of David in no way shape or form attempted to promote David's cause.

Some of the profiles are public and I was able to scroll through them and not one of them mention or link the cause at all.

I find it extremely weird that the people David are the closest to do not even mention anything about donating to help fight his cancer battle.

Weird eh?

kubus

Did he address this..

Weird eh?
I didn't ask David about that part, but since he wasn't aware of the mess that Jackson and co were making until he stepped in, I wouldn't be surprised if his family didn't know about it either.

I don't know. It's all speculation right now. I don't know what else we can do except for waiting for those refunds. :/

Eknots

Just curious as to why he would refund if it's a scam, wouldn't he just not give a shit and stop communicating completely

Just spoke with David who seems like a genuinely nice person. He told me to file a claim through paypal or he would just give me cash manually. I payed $70 ($20 for shipping) for the Clicker statue back in November 2013. I already told him to keep half as a donation because I definitely think it's wrong to ask for a full refund back considering this was originally a donation. He's also paying attention to this thread & he wanted me to let you guys know he is getting to people as fast as he can in his condition. For those who actually think this is a scam, there were pictures of him on the hospital bed posted on the GoFundme page, and as someone in their early 20's I think he's handling this whole situation the best he can.

This feels like a pretty solid first post!

UPDATE#2 - This is his recent response to me -

"Thank you. Right now I'd feel more comfortable sending you the full refund.

Hopefully sometime this year I can get back to my shop and when I do I'd be happy to send you what you originally ordered.

That goes to everyone on GAF as well. You can let them know that."

Just spoke with David who seems like a genuinely nice person. He told me to file a claim through paypal or he would just give me cash manually. I payed $70 ($20 for shipping) for the Clicker statue back in November 2013. I already told him to keep half as a donation because I definitely think it's wrong to ask for a full refund back considering this was originally a donation. He's also paying attention to this thread & he wanted me to let you guys know he is getting to people as fast as he can in his condition. For those who actually think this is a scam, there were pictures of him on the hospital bed posted on the GoFundme page, and as someone in their early 20's I think he's handling this whole situation the best he can.

This feels like a pretty solid first post!

UPDATE#2 - This is his recent response to me -

"Thank you. Right now I'd feel more comfortable sending you the full refund.

Hopefully sometime this year I can get back to my shop and when I do I'd be happy to send you what you originally ordered.

That goes to everyone on GAF as well. You can let them know that."
Could you pm me the email you used to get in contact with him as filing a claim through PayPal gets closed since it's past 45 days.

nampad

Still haven't heard back anything. Paypal closed my refund request because the transaction is so old. Didn't use a credit card company, I had Paypal funds from selling stuff.

Can't contact David on Facebook because I don't use it, I tried thatvigilante@gmail.com and Info@ThatVigilante.com. If you read this David, I really need my money back now...

So what's the story here? I honestly tried to follow the last few pages but I still have no idea what's what. I donated when this first appeared here via the goFundme site by buying the $100 Skateboard. I never really did follow thru afterwards because of work etc that got me sidetracked. Also I considered it as a donation so it kinda didn't matter too much if I got the skateboard eventually or not. But now that there are speculations that this was a scam of some sort?

Someone aware me on what's the current status and if my money did go to the cancer fund or not.... and what I will need to do next if things are not what they seem....

Thanks in advance ^___^;;;

kubus

Just got my refund. I feel bad for David, to have all of this on top of everything else. He has my thoughts and prayers.
Same here.

Anyone who hasn't received a refund? Looks like everyone got one.

Best wishes to David, this can't be easy and it sucks the way this whole thing happened. :(

nampad

Same here.

Anyone who hasn't received a refund? Looks like everyone got one.

Best wishes to David, this can't be easy and it sucks the way this whole thing happened. :(

Still haven't gotten my refund. Was able to contact David thanks to Nesmaster75 though and he says he is looking into it.

I didn't get a refund. Since i got no news on the raffle I should get my raffle money refunded as well? Sorry to sound cold-hearted, i'm just wondering here.

Radius

Same here - no refund yet.

Don't care about the two donations I made back in November and I won't ask for a refund for them but I really want the money for the order back. If the items become available again I'll gladly reorder them if it helps David in any way.

nampad

Still no refund for me. Haven't heard back from David in 5 days since I send him the requested Paypal invoice. The contact before was quick, now its silence all over again. I have to deal with so much personal stuff right now and I just need the money. Having put so much energy to actually get my money back is getting annoying as hell.

No refund and he does not answer my emails, so alternatives? I do not have a facebook account... Sigh.

I will send you the email address I am using to contact him.

nampad

Heard back from David some hours ago via an Email.
He says he was in and out of the hospital these last days and he can't Paypal the money because Paypal limited his account. He asked for another way of money transaction and I gave him my bank account details for a wire transfer. Let's see how this works out. Of course, it won't make my deadline before I will go abroad ;(

Well, at least the good news is that there is still a way to communicate with him so if anybody needs the Email address, feel free to PM me.

Jacqli

Heard back from David some hours ago via an Email.
He says he was in and out of the hospital these last days and he can't Paypal the money because Paypal limited his account. He asked for another way of money transaction and I gave him my bank account details for a wire transfer. Let's see how this works out. Of course, it won't make my deadline before I will go abroad ;(

Well, at least the good news is that there is still a way to communicate with him so if anybody needs the Email address, feel free to PM me.
I am glad you have some news. I was not so lucky and still nothing... :( I sent the email almost immediately after you gave me the address.

I do feel cheated for giving away a ps4 for this. Not freaking idea what happened.
Agh, right, you supported him so much... The whole situation is so disappointing...

nampad

I do feel cheated for giving away a ps4 for this. Not freaking idea what happened.

That really sucks :(

I am glad you have some news. I was not so lucky and still nothing... :( I sent the email almost immediately after you gave me the address.

Still no refund but heard back from him today. He asked if I would accept him mailing me the money so he can save fees. Of course, mailing money isn't a good option for me because it includes many risks and I am also quite suspicious after everything that happened.

Hope you hear from him soon.

Jacqli

I can totally understand you, we both live in Europe and accepting that could make things worse if something happened.
And nothing at all. I do not know why because I provided my order number and I tried to be polite (really!). Should I insist more? I am tired of this nonsense.

I can totally understand you, we both live in Europe and accepting that could make things worse if something happened.
And nothing at all. I do not know why because I provided my order number and I tried to be polite (really!). Should I insist more? I am tired of this nonsense.

I'm surprised that you haven't heard anything back from him, I'm still in contact and at the same stage as nampad with having been offered a cashiers cheque to cut down on bank charges which I can understand given the amount that is being refunded charges would be adding more of an un-needed cost.

I'd maybe politely email again with your donation/purchase details and see what he can do. There is sometimes a few days between responses but generally he will reply and seems to want to do all that he can to make things right.

kubus

That is literally the worst thing that came out of this situation. So many super generous people who really went out of their way to help and then this happens. I'm so sorry man :(.

This situation is just dragging on and on... It's like every time something happens, it's one step forward and two steps back.

I have no idea why some people got refunds and others didn't. Just not making any sense. Question to those who did receive a refund: did you send any emails to them? Maybe David only sent refunds to those who he had contact with or something?

Top Bottom