• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Save Our SIFTD"

Alucrid

Banned
It's custom aggregation based on your preferences, say you don't like esports or mobile? You'll never see anything like that in your feed if you turn them off. They also make their own weekly podcast on fridays and have written reviews with scores tuned to your preferences. Not sure what you mean by 3rd party content, any aggregation service would do the same, neogaf is a 3rd party content discussion forum.

They need more info on there for sure. They don't archive episodes on twitch because then people would have no reason to subscribe given you already get the sift for free and gameface is one of their only 2 draws. I'm sure Patreon would remedy this.

And 90 % of the topics I could give 2 shits about (How many times have you seen BS threads like "Are JRPG's dead?" "I'm tired of openworld games" SIFTD has a separate community for forum discussion). There is definitely a market for SIFTD, they just need marketing skills.

He's a fairly well known name in games media, very polarising but definitely recognisable. He was editor-in-chief at gametrailers before they were bought and shutdown by defy and has worked at several places like tech tv and G4. It's most likely to show industry credentials.

i guess. but hasn't the site been around for years now? clearly that hasn't worked well for it, not sure why you'd put that front and center on a recent promo at least

luchadork

its just a really poorly run business. the guy might be a genius at creating content. but getting it out to people is another story.

EmiPrime

This website is a bit of a sinking ship and I would question the wisdom of anyone donating given the dubious business decisions that have been taken. The insurance issue was bad enough but why was he buying super premium cameras and microphones just for web video? How does a small website justify renting an office instead of being run from home? Why is their Twitch page literally barren? Why is there nothing on their Youtube other than weekly uploads of Pachter Factor? Why the stubbornness regarding Patreon (giving them 5% is better than getting nothing at all)?

This seems like a website that could be easily sustainable if it cuts its coat according to its cloth but it has always failed to do that and it has consistently failed to leverage easily available means of growing its awareness and audience. I feel sorry for Shane but if you haven't made any money off your business in 8 months and you've wiped out your personal savings it's time to rethink your business model or call it quits, not go panhandling.

ISee

It's custom aggregation based on your preferences, say you don't like esports or mobile? You'll never see anything like that in your feed if you turn them off. They also make their own weekly podcast on fridays and have written reviews with scores tuned to your preferences. Not sure what you mean by 3rd party content, any aggregation service would do the same, neogaf is a 3rd party content.

I mean 'not original content'. I'm willing to pay for original content but I just don't see any value in their service and the difference between neogaf and them is that neogaf is add based and not asking for my money.

Bouniter

I mean 'not original content'. I'm willing to pay for original content but I just don't see any value in their service and the difference between neogaf and them is that neogaf is add based and not asking for my money.

Basically this I'm never going to subscribe to a website and never have when I can get essentially whatever content they have from a different source for free.

killroy87

I feel for him, I hope he lands on his feet. I just never really agreed with the the thesis of the site, that it aggregates based on your preferences. This industry moves fast, but no so fast that I need to actively block out entire facets of it to keep up. And just because I don't play many mobile games doesn't mean I don't want to keep up.

It's not a bad idea in theory, I think the tech is interesting, it's just honestly an answer to a problem I've never once had. (edit: So I guess I do kind of think it's a not so great idea in theory)

SIFTD is like the Wii U. It's a a fundamentally undesirable product at its core and nothing is going to save it long-term.

Not trying to be mean at all. I wish something like this could be successful, but it's not going to happen.

Wireframe

Basically this I'm never going to subscribe to a website and never have when I can get essentially whatever content they have from a different source for free.

That's fine the site certainly isn't for everyone. It saves me considerable time and for me time saved is worth the money.

Giolon

I subscribed back when their stuff was stolen to help them out, but I just never found the site useful, so I let it lapse. Their core selling point just isn't that attractive. Unique content like Pachter Factor is nice, but they don't have much else to offer.

killroy87

This website is a bit of a sinking ship and I would question the wisdom of anyone donating given the dubious business decisions that have been taken. The insurance issue was bad enough but why was he buying super premium cameras and microphones just for web video? How does a small website justify renting an office instead of being run from home? Why is their Twitch page literally barren? Why is there nothing on their Youtube other than weekly uploads of Pachter Factor? Why the stubbornness regarding Patreon (giving them 5% is better than getting nothing at all)?

Yeah, you make good points. No one gives Easy Allies shit for making $50K a month and still working from home with less-than-perfect equipment

xabbott

I've only watched a few shows from the site. I think the last time I tried to listen to a podcast, maybe some e3 stuff it was behind a paywall.

I support three videogame sites/shows so I don't have an issue with paying. However, most of the time what was being pitched when I did catch a show was the site itself, the news aggregator. I always thought it was a very hard product to sell. I used an RSS reader for years and eventually twitter/FB kind killed that for me.

I don't know much about the staff there. I'm not saying they have to go full personality/merch/Patreon route. Whatever they do though they need something to get fans from the larger videogame audience.

Giant Bomb had quick looks. Kinda Funny had Greg Miller being a shameless promoter on every videogame event for what felt like a year or two. EZA went for a strong Twitch presence and brought back the Jones narrated reviews.

SIFTD's biggest exposure to the wider videogame audience was Pachter. However every time he got quoted it just pushed him as a brand, not SIFTD. Even in the videos themselves, outside of Pachter mentioning the site and sometimes interacting with someone off camera, it seems to have little to no relation to the site itself.

Anyway, it's probably not useful feedback now but I hope they find their way.

Vinc

Yeah, you make good points. No one gives Easy Allies shit for making $50K a month and still working from home with less-than-perfect equipment

Hey if they made 50k they'd get an office to work from and would be able to produce more content with better production values. I hope they get there soon...

The main issue is that there seems to be very little benefit to subscribing at all. It was a neat idea, but I'm not sure there ever will be enough demand for a content aggregator. I mean, how many people out there literally consume so much gaming media daily that they would actually need an aggregator for it?

joms5

I was going to post a snarky gif but after reading what Shane wrote on the website, that just wouldn't do.

Today we just got notice that our landlord is essentially doubling the rent at our location. While this is undoubtedly a blow to our finances, the truth is, I haven't made a penny from SIFTD in over eight months. Living in Los Angeles with sky high rent and an exorbitant cost of living, my personal finances have been essentially decimated. I still haven't even made back my initial investment in the site. It's been soul-crushing working 14-hour days for no pay, but I was always optimistic that the site would eventually catch on because I use it every day and know that it should.

Where do I even start here?

First off, just because you use something that you created everyday, doesn't mean others will. You have some personal investment in it. Also are you paying a subscription to use it? Would you? Try not to let personal feelings get into the equation here. They can cloud judgement.

Second off, if you care about the site so much maybe it's time you started to make some hard decisions rather than asking for a bailout again. Perhaps move to a new location with reasonable rent? Perhaps move to a more affordable city? Maybe look at not making this your full time job? New ways of revenue generation on the website? There are people that change their entire way of living to make their dream of being an entrepreneur work, and they still fail. I think that's the thing that bothers me about this the most. Asking for help due to poor decision making.

And I attribute poor decision making to this snippet right here:

With just a couple thousand more Premium subscribers I would make enough money to cover my expenses and expand the site's content to a point where we could generate continual new subscribers

Are you kidding me? A few thousand more?! Not many people may know this, but that's a lot!! But even then, it will just be enough to cover expenses?! Have you taken an introductory business class in your life? So you still won't be paying yourself a wage and you assume this extra revenue will bring in more users due to new content generation? Do you have evidence of that? And you say "continual" like it will never stop. What have you been smoking? There is no continual new customers in any business. There are a finite number of people in the world and there's only a very small percentage that may want to consume your product. So let's not misuse words to further our agenda here.

There are billion dollar brands that face the issue of product stagnation and customer acquisition simply due market demand. Gaining a few thousand subscribers will not produce long term gains ESPECIALLY if you're saying that it be "enough to cover expenses". That's just bad business and a warning sign that you have no clue what you've gotten yourself into.

What i'm simply saying here is this. Don't lie to people and tell them that by giving you money, the site will survive. It will tread water for a few months until another plea for more money. If it's not profitable, change the way you do business, change the product, lower your expenses. But don't claim that with a bit more money you can make it work.

If you'd like to donate to our cause

"Our cause..." Fuck me.

You're a video game website. What cause!?!?!?!?!

So as not to sound too harsh. I'm pretty sure you have a wife and kids. Do what is best for your family. Don't go into debt, or further debt because of pride or some unrealistic version of a dream job. We've seen how difficult it is today to make a video game website work, let alone a private website with no corporate or ad backing.

I really wish you the best, but not if it's on the backs of people who might be contributing to a dying dream.

Blackage

I don't understand why SIFTD is subscription based in 2017 when Patreon exists.

Also the only thing I consume from their website is Pachter which is free on youtube a week later.

gohanrage

Yeah...thats the issue - im every day on GAF and only hear about SIFTD when something bad has happened or financial woes. Wish them the best...but unless you are a Youtuber or Twitch streamer with already big audience you probably wanna produce something that would be interesting enough to be posted on something like GAF.

Not saying that GAF is the center of the universe...but you have to start somewhere.

GameFace a show they've done 95 episodes of. all start by streaming on Twitch and then its uploaded to SIFTD (pronounced) sifted. "(of material) having been passed through a sieve." they do a show on twitch every week. Shane Had a Hang out where he played Destiny 2 while streaming on Twitch.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Not to shit on this site too much, but it seems basically useless. It's a news aggregator, right? Considering all the big sites basically have the same stories (specifically, IGN) and every small news story is basically posted on GAF, what's the point? Like, if I wanted to know when the beastcast went up I'd pull up my podcast app.

EmiPrime

Yep EA have always had the right idea. SIFTD is stuck with a PS2 era video game website mindset while EA leverages Twitch, Youtube, podcasting and Patreon to their full potential to grow their audience and have multiple revenue streams.

Long ass post.

Harsh but not unfair.

Mengetsu

It helps they have people with personalities that every viewer likes. Websites with subscriptions just won't really work anymore. In all honesty with sites like IGN and GameSpot people have loyalty to them and the news from those sites got to whatever people feel comfortable with to get it funneled to them directly.

I have GAF, Twitter and PS4 Reddit to see the game news fast and easy. The name never helped the site, subs need to go and a rebranding of it. It needs a new name with more people with better experience to set up a Patreon and make it available to everyone.

gohanrage

What is a SIFTD?

SIFTED he obviously wanted to trademark the company what is a Blu-ray?

sift·ed
sift
examine (something) thoroughly so as to isolate that which is most important or useful.

separate something, especially something to be discarded, from something else.

gogosox82

Open a pateron. People will be more likely to support you if they know what they are getting. EZA and Kinda Funny did it that way and it's worked out well for them.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
I only learned about Siftd through EZA and the one time I tried to see if I'd like it enough there were too many immediate hurdles in my way to even become able to assess if I'd want to support it. People already mentioned stuff like the nonexistent schedule but I also don't think it's that great to paywall their podcast given that's the avenue where you push your personality? I feel like it would have probably made more sense to paywall Pachter Factor instead but probably there's a good reason it isn't.

Dunno I subscribe to EZA and most of anything there is free and I don't mind cause I want to support content I like. For Siftd I never even got to the point beyond Pachter Factor which seems good just not for me and not a draw thus I remain clueless.

Also I'm registration shy so I'm not going to register for a free month unless I know I'm interested. That was a big hurdle for me with patreon as well.

In any case I wish them the best and hope they can continue. I often hear Shane is a great guy and I hope good people succeed.

dickroach

"Living in Los Angeles with sky high rent and an exorbitant cost of living, my personal finances have been essentially decimated."

...it's a content aggregation website. move.

gohanrage

I've been a member of SIFTD.net since the start. I used to open up 19 different video game sites in 19 different tabs. Now I go to siftd and read all the content there. watch videos embedded into the site. I use the forums I comment on articles. Every Thursday I watch GameFace on Twitch.tv has they stream it live. sometimes I forget and miss the start the show is usually uploaded to siftd.net by the end of the day so I can re-watch any part I missed.

tbrSKPg.jpg

I use the above topics to get just articles or videos of specific topic. every single website you could think of is grabbed and put in your SIFT depending on your preferences.

dvMw3pF.jpg

I also use the 24, 48 and Raw options to get more articles. if I go to raw I will see everything not just the things I selected in my preferences

gohanrage

I only learned about Easy Allies through SIFTD.

I have been a FAN of IGN since I was in high school back then they were called n64.com then ign64.com then just IGN.

Now I don't have to visit IGN anymore I just visit one site. Too many people have left IGN over the years its not the same.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Shane and Pachter are super tight like Bonnie and Clyde. Why not hit Pach up for a couple million until he can pay him back? Pach's a baller.

I only learned about NEOGAF through SIFTD. I only learned about Easy Allies through SIFTD.

I have been a FAN of IGN since I was in high school back then they were called n64.com then ign64.com then just IGN.

Now I don't have to visit IGN anymore I just visit one site. Too many people have left IGN over the years its not the same.

Hmmm??

You signed up for neogaf back in May 2013 and siftd was launched in 2015.

Do you work for them or something?

Harlock

I like Shane, but he chose a very difficult business model. People pay that for Giantbomb content and not much else. Hope he keeps going.

I'm a sub but don't use it much.

Shane has had a shitty past year. First his sister and father dying in a crash. Then getting robbed and his good mate Marcus having a heart attack.

Hope he makes it.

Shane and Pachter are super tight like Bonnie and Clyde. Why not hit Pach up for a couple million until he can pay him back? Pach's a baller.

Because that's not really a good investment from both sides. Shane needs subs not donations. Subs mean he can create more content. All Patcher could be doing is giving him marketing money which at the moment wouldn't look a good investment.

legacyzero

Banned
I think it's just as much a bad site idea for modern times as most people who are aware of him just don't like Shane Satterfield. Pretty much made GT 100% a better place after he left, and was INSUFFERABLE on The Bonus round. I just don't think people liked him.

It also didn't help that he tried to kick this off with Marcus Beer, who was also pretty well disliked. I remember watching their first-ish video podcasts and it was fully body, deep-core cringe for me. https://youtu.be/WRlxX7BXf8g

I thinks there's a reason why Easy Allies took off and are doing so well. A better site, better people, better content, and better schedule.

And hell, Pachter could always make guest appearances on Kinda Funny and EZA instead.

Shiggy

I guess they seriously need to rethink their business model. I only hear of that site when they have financial troubles and when trying to see what's even on the site, everything is blocked by their paywall. Doesn't help either that their name starts with S and ends with TD (S_TD).

I'd visit their page if they had some cat movies:

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
giphy.gif

200w.gif
200.gif

gohanrage

People post what does SITFD have to do with gaming. what does NeoGAF have to do with gaming its just some made up name that could be trade marked. NeoGAF doesn't scream gaming. NeoGAF says Believe underneath Believe in what? There is no NeoGaf in the dictionary unless you count the urban dictionary

SIFTED or SIFT. Shane Didn't want to put Gaming in the title. just like Easy Allies Brendon Jones didn't want to have gaming in the title. because they want to talk about more then just games. Brendon Jones was on GameFace as a Special Guest when Usual host Matt was on holidays. Both Brendon and Shane are from GameTrailers.com

Blu-ray is just a made up word so they could trade mark it. There are many people who don't know that it means blue ray. which is a description of the type of laser it uses.

Top Bottom