• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound cancelled [Platinum Games and Kamiya have commented]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydle

Right? I thought the main point of cancelling Fable was that MS didn't want to allocate the resources into this ongoing service game. And now everything is supposed to become a service? Sounds odd.

If you played it, or even had access to the beta feedback forums to read feedback, you'd know why it was cancelled.

Tain

Indeed I LOVED the first Xbox and the first few years of the 360. But then MS just wend for quick bucks and it became a .... well insult of a console. I mean I even liked the first year of Kinect, it was great to play with the family. But they just wend for cheap Kinect games and otherwise complete dudebro. There was NOTHING in between.

MS will get out of the console industry, and the way they go about treating their third parties? THey DESERVE it!

There were still dope Japanese exclusives on the 360 post-Kinect, many import only though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
What if Scorpio gets cancelled too?

Now that would be a PR statement to see.

We here at MS are sad to say that after a long and arduous design process Project Scorpio has been canceled.Don't worry though we still have the wonderful Xbox 1S and like 4 games coming out for it to entertain you over the Holidays!

This is only going to become more and more common, I fear. Valve's already made this move, too.

Yeah, this is the way a good portion of the industry is moving

Sadly, as I age, I find I have less time for MP-heavy affairs and a deeper appreciation for single-player, story-driven games. Thankfully, Sony and Nintendo still seem interested in delivering on this front. And of course, PC is a well that will never run dry.

blakep267

Could be another good opportunity for Sony to come out in a big way to say 'fuck what the other guys are doing, we're doing it this way'. Hashtag for the gamers and so on.

Like the entire used games debacle that they masterfully capitalized on last time, leaving Microsoft with egg on their face.
Microsoft seems hellbent on changing the industry to their vision and the gaming audience has by and large given them the finger in the process.
But also realize, maybe this is what gamers want. Aside from massive stuff like Fallout or skyrim, the bigger sellers are stuff like FIFA, cod, battlefield, gta( without GTA online), Destiny. Sony can do that but it's not going to make them some kind of haven for gamers as they still are going to play those multiplayer service games.

Could be another good opportunity for Sony to come out in a big way to say 'fuck what the other guys are doing, we're doing it this way'. Hashtag for the gamers and so on.

Like the entire used games debacle that they masterfully capitalized on. Microsoft seems hellbent on changing the industry to their vision and the gaming industry has by and large given them the finger in the process.

I think that's kinda how they are positioning themselves right now is exactly that. Big budget, huge narrative driven single player experiences are becoming more and more rare. Look at this past E3. What did they showcase?

God of War footage showing lots of emotional story telling and a more narrative driven feel
The Last Guardian
Days Gone which again had a very story focused narrative trailer
Detroit which is basically entirely story driven
Horizon Zero Dawn open world RPG story heavy game
etc.

I think Sony see this as a part of the market that 3rd parties are moving away from and are positioning their internal studios to provide that content to those gamers while 3rd parties / MS go all in on mutli-player online microtransaction based titles.

jelly

Right? I thought the main point of cancelling Fable was that MS didn't want to allocate the resources into this ongoing service game. And now everything is supposed to become a service? Sounds odd.

No, the game play loop and user investment wasn't there so it wouldn't make money. They aren't against the model.

Wedzi

Banned
Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
My take on all this, and I've been seeing this for a while, is that Microsoft is transitioning all their games to the 'live service' model.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
Basically Microsoft want to have their games emulate what Minecraft has been able to do.
Long lifecycle, large user base, Increased spend.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
Microsoft's future direction is about being able to offer the Xbox games and live services on multiple devices that run Windows 10.

Sounds like Microsoft would have loved to have made and published Destiny

Pizza

Man if this got the time it needed to be great it would've been sick. It didn't look nearly done, but a multiplayer the last guardian with some action gameplay? That sounds sick if they were able to do it well

Maybe it'll get picked up sometime, it had potential!

Arion

I've never seen so much angst over the cancellation of a game that demoed like shit multiple times...

Is it a Japanese game thing?

No it's a Kamiya game thing. The man has a perfect record. This was gonna be his next big game so of course people were excited.

Breads

Banned
It never looked good. Looked like Microsoft compromised Platinum's process from the start.

(note: I have no direct insight. I'm just calling it how I saw it)

Audioboxer

Dragon's Dogma 2 was probably discussed but they realized that Devil May Cry 5 would make them more cash and is more popular of a franchise so they went with that.

Ehhhhh... fair enough I'll probably have to give you that. I am a salty DD fan considering it was a fucking excellent game.

I hate it when companies sit on good IP and do nothing with it.

Menitta

It's amazing how Scalebound is symbolic of the deaths of both Platinum Games and Xbox

image.php

HeelPower

The open world aspect wasn't totally out of their field of expertise (due to Ōkami), but I suspect the online multiplayer aspect is what sabotaged things. That shit is time-consuming, expensive, can be an engineering nightmare, and honestly doesn't sound like something Kamiya would be interesting in doing in the first place.

It was there all along due to the pedigree, we were just never shown anything truly substantial or jaw-dropping.

MS joining up with PG for a mega-budget open world game is (literally) a big deal even if you aren't interested, and it being cancelled after four years of development a bigger deal still. The volume of replies and interest reflects that.

PG are great devs.

I actually pre-ordered NieR Automata ,but the signs were on the wall for Scalebound.It always looked really rough.

Microsoft should've let Kamiya & Platinum do what they're good at instead of demanding them to step into unknown territory to satisfy a ridiculous open world standard.

Everyone crapping all over Microsoft but at the same time for them to scrap a game that has had that much money put in to it I'd imagine there was some serious issues

Luminaire

I don't think it's 100 percent their fault. Yet, even if the game had low sales projections, MS would have released it. They've released big budget, buggy, bad games. This smells like the game was in bad shape, why else take it off the board completely?
Both are at fault for sure, but I wouldn't think it's just due to a poor project coming out bad. They may have wanted to change the scope of the game or didn't like what PG was making, maybe MS was pushing for things PG couldn't do, maybe there was little to no support for PG, etc. A number of issues could have come up but it's rare for them to just cancel bad or broken games. After all, ReCore came out.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
My take on all this, and I've been seeing this for a while, is that Microsoft is transitioning all their games to the 'live service' model.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
Basically Microsoft want to have their games emulate what Minecraft has been able to do.

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX
Microsoft's future direction is about being able to offer the Xbox games and live services on multiple devices that run Windows 10.

Exactly what I and some devs I spoken to feel.

Dr.-Who.gif

What's up with all the posts saying Nintendo should pick up the game and stuff. Since when this is a usual thing for Nintendo?

Nintendo saved Bayonetta 2 and fully funded Kamiya's previous work, The Wonderful 101. Though I don't think Scalebound will end up on Switch. Pretty sure this project is done for.

I've never seen so much angst over the cancellation of a game that demoed like shit multiple times...

Is it a Japanese game thing?

I think people are more upset with the direction Microsoft seems to be going with their exclusives (strong focus on multiplayer games with both short and long term profits due to large user bases/communities).

Basically, if you bought an Xbox for single-player experiences you're out of luck.

Exactly what I and some devs I spoken to feel.

To be fair though what with Crimson Dragon, D4, Quantum Break, Sunset Overdrive, ReCore, Ryse and others in the Microsoft Studios portfolio "underperforming" in sales and others like Fable Legends, Phantom Dust & now this getting cancelled due to messy development (some of which may be both Microsoft's fault and the developers or just one or the other, who's to say) I can at least see why they might decide to move in this direction. It's the shittiest one for everyone involved really but you can see why in some ways.

Not that it's what I wanted to happen after the original Xbox was so good, one of my favourite consoles of all time. Oh well. :(

icespide

Banned
Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX

Daniel Ahmad ‏@ZhugeEX

well this is depressing. if you enjoy this type of gaming then great but man...

Exentryk

Wow, this is surprising! I don't think the game was looking good, so perhaps it's the best decision? But damn it sucks to lose out on a big RPG.

watership

Sounds like Platinum maybe run into some trouble with it being such a large scale game & having a big online multiplayer component and MS decided they don't want to fund the game's development for so long that those issues could be solved and the game finished. The game seemed unpolished in its showings (which isn't shocking, no one is going to make a big scale coop action RPG in 3 years) but never like it was some total disaster that wasn't working at all. It wasn't the open world coop over the top character action game like Devil May Cry most people probably anticipated it to be like, more like Okami with more of a DMC aesthetic and dragon flying.

I wonder if we'll ever find out for sure. I was looking forward to it.

FATALITY

Banned
What's up with all the posts saying Nintendo should pick up the game and stuff. Since when this is a usual thing for Nintendo?
Didn't you know everything will be ported to switch even cancelled games.
The switch port begging has been pretty unbearable lately.

Edit: I always thought this game was running 30fps on xb1 because was a game to show the power of scorpio. Also the game didn't look as bad as some are trying to imply.

Rymuth

Xbox already uses Win10 though, or this meant to be the full product?
Full product. I imagine Halo turning into something akin to Destiny - constant stream of balance patches for PVP, cosmetic shop, single player expansions for those who enjoy the story etc etc

Forza would slide in pretty well with this model.

TheChamp

Thanks for making my decision on selling my Xbox One.. litreally the whole point I have it is for Scalebound will stick the the PS4's diverse library

Is this about MS and their business model for future games or the game just didn't look that great? For me personally it didn't look fun at all but the only thing giving me any hope was Kamiya.

Coxy100

Banned
PG are great devs.

I actually pre-ordered NieR Automata ,but the signs were on the wall for Scalebound.It always looked really rough.

Microsoft should've let Kamiya & Platinum do what they're good at instead of demanding them to step into unknown territory to satisfy a ridiculous open world standard.
Kamiya and platinum could have said no to the demands before the contract was signed you realise.... that's not Microsoft' fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom