• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scanline screenshot thread. Because 240p is all the p's I need.

PLqUa8m.png

8QVhcFz.png

QyaLlzX.png

5UQmE9a.png

I do Gillian :(

gcw3ocK.png

fA1avDq.png

XMNTqt8.png

XC4c1ap.png

dsLu3e5.png

OmpqSr6.png

KLXvJCf.png

QazumDz.png

Got a new 4K TV so i've been trying a few things through the Framemeister!

Samurai Shodown (Wii VC) said:

Samurai Shodown 2 (Wii VC) said:

The King of Fighters 98 (Wii VC) said:

Super Metroid (Wii VC) said:
I just recently played through this on a real SNES through S-Video as well... It looks good but not this good (D-Terminal). Plus I hate how Super Metroid shows up the vertical line issue on a real SNES. I've got a SNES Wii Classic Pad but it's at my parents house, need to get them to send it to me for future playthroughs!

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts (Wii VC) said:
Vr7RYe0.jpg

Feelin' pretty good about my chances!

X7ujdMs.jpg

... not feeling so good about my chances!

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (Saturn) said:

Back with more! A few to compare with my last set and some new games, this time all running on a Super Famicom through S-Video on the Framemeister!

Tetris DX (Game Boy Color) said:
eWAQAw8.jpg

Got the line piece a few pieces after this photo thankfully!

Samurai Shodown (Game Boy) said:
mtmj1KZ.jpg

Eowaiqk.jpg

Anyone know if the devs at Takara ended up doing the later Neo Geo Pocket fighters? They're so similar (and great portable versions) I have to think they must have.

The King of Fighters '96 (Game Boy) said:
S62Mqu1.jpg

iq5GcGC.jpg

These all have excellent renditions of the original music, chip tune style!

Real Bout Special (Game Boy) said:
DHsM2wy.jpg

PsHOkaY.jpg

D66jvHQ.jpg

EdLnLmG.jpg

They managed some fine details too!

Street Fighter Zero 2 said:
GABqvsm.jpg

fNhlbXc.jpg

RjRecsT.jpg

roO1c3W.jpg

Most say this port is bad, but I think it's solid in that I doubt they could have done much better with the hardware. The freezes when it loads are unfortunate, but the gameplay is mostly fine and overall it's still better than a lot of other SNES fighters!

Fatal Fury Special said:
Ngt4hM6.jpg

MLAN4Ui.jpg

vHmHk7n.jpg

zD0Ldt0.jpg

tjcxqEh.jpg

I haven't played this a lot, it seems better than SNES FF2 which has some horrible butchering of the Neo Geo music and sound effects. Plays fairly close to the original too.

Samurai Shodown said:
fPFJcCZ.jpg

78EeXAn.jpg

HmXxKHn.jpg

Not even sure if these sprites are bigger than the Game Boy ones :D I'd rather play that version tbh!

Tactics Ogre Let Us Cling Together said:
uQ9A5wv.jpg

V3DgKyr.jpg

9UV8Bhu.jpg

gXFSFjt.jpg

I remember drooling over the pixel art in this game in my old magazines. I just picked up this version today for cheap... i need to play the PSP version... in English... on my Vita... go on sale dammit!

Dragon Quest VI said:
9HWRIQm.jpg

DshoNx3.jpg

As above except I need to play it on a DS of some sort!

Wow. 4K and FM are a great match. Wonder what Micomsoft has in store for the next gen XRGB. Pretty convinced I'll want to get one after I get a 4K set, which won't be for a while yet...

Mendoza

I was playing Panzer Bandit on PSX, never knew about this game but decided to try based on the recommendations from this boards' PSX import lists. It seems like a real fun game, kinda similar to Guardian Heroes.

Game looks rad. I'm going to check that out.
Also, love that Gimmik pearler.

BTails

Just because I've been messing with it all day, how about some vertical scanlines, courtesy of the Sega Game Gear?

F4KwQt3.jpg

Man, that's a hard screen to photograph correctly. It's not great to begin with, but certainly better than the picture!

BTails

isn't the framemister about to get a competitor

The OSSC is available, which is a direct competitor to the Framemeister. The thread that popped up recently about a "new" upscaler is actually just a years-old announcement from the guys who do the Component cables for SNES and Genesis. At this point it's basically vapourware.

Awakened

Something looks off. Not getting a crt vibe from this. The pixels don't look mapped right.
Only thing I can think of is that I wasn't using integer scaling. Scaling 240p to 1080p will cause uneven scanlines, although with that shader I only notice it on certain shades of blue.

I'm pretty sure the pixels are aligned with the shader properly. The scanline gaps look like they are between each line of pixels if you zoom in on the shots. The lightning and splash effects in that cutscene don't look great (better in motion) and maybe give the effect that something is off with the pixel mapping, but I don't think it's an emulation inaccuracy.
Never fear, I'm playing PDS right now and will post PVM photos this weekend.
Cool, I'm playing it for the first time (finally!) and it's pretty amazing. I tried Skies of Arcadia a few months ago (developed by the same team as PDS, right?), but quit because the battle system was so standard and boring. I liked the story and characters so I just watched a "movie" version on Youtube. PDS' battle system is much more fun for me with all the positioning stuff and it also has great characters and a fun story.

Looking forward to seeing how it looks on a real CRT.

I'm pretty sure the pixels are aligned with the shader properly.

You can see on the mesh transparency that the pixels are not uniform on the horizontal so the effect of the shader will be compromised as well as by not using integer scaling.

The Saturn Mednafen core in retroarch is a bit bugged in that it does not produce square pixels when using the PAR setting so you have to manually make the below changes in the config file.

The exact 4:3 ratio will be slightly compromised as a result but that's the downside of fixed resolution displays, I would rather that than shimmering and scaling problems.

aspect_ratio_index = "19"
video_aspect_ratio = "1.4667"

I tried Skies of Arcadia a few months ago (developed by the same team as PDS, right?

Skies of Arcadia was developed by Overworks and PDS by Team Andromeda.

A lot of the Panzer Dragoon folks went on to make Jet Set Radio right?

I love Skies of Arcadia but the battle system could use some improvement. Although, I just think it needs is to be sped up a bit.

Awakened

You can see on the mesh transparency that the pixels are not uniform on the horizontal so the effect of the shader will be compromised as well as by not using integer scaling.

The Saturn Mednafen core in retroarch is a bit bugged in that it does not produce square pixels when using the PAR setting so you have to manually make the below changes in the config file.

The exact 4:3 ratio will be slightly compromised as a result but that's the downside of fixed resolution displays, I would rather that than shimmering and scaling problems.

aspect_ratio_index = "19"
video_aspect_ratio = "1.4667"

Skies of Arcadia was developed by Overworks and PDS by Team Andromeda.
I actually do use PAR in my default config for that core using the custom 1.4667 aspect you mentioned. But, PDS has many elements that look stretched at that aspect, such as the radar in the upper right when exploring or the targeting cursor. So for that game I use the "core provided" aspect, which makes them look like perfect circles.

dhonk

Ultra HDMI line doubled 480p into my Viewsonic PC CRT. As you can see with these 31khz monitors, scanlines are verrrry thin. It does look quite wonderful in person but you don't end up seeing very much scanline action.

2 Saturn RPGs today. Grandia which i bought for 93y about 6 years ago, and Lunar Silver Star Story which i bought today for 108y! I really need to get around to learning Japanese so i can play these properly... I just can't resist those prices and the potential for scanline screenshots is simply too great!

Grandia said:

Lunar Silver Star Story said:

Vespa

Still waiting for a Saturn Grandia English translation! I really like how that game looks even though I don't play many rpgs. Nice shots!

TeaJay

Lunar silver star story looks gorgeous. I'd love to play it on Saturn, but I don't think there's a translation? How is the PS1 version in comparison?

e: Oh wait, is it one of those Working designs translations where they fill the dialogue with stupid jokes and pop culture references (re: Magic Knight Rayearth)

Panzer Dragoon Saga pics incoming tomorrow.

Lunar silver star story looks gorgeous. I'd love to play it on Saturn, but I don't think there's a translation? How is the PS1 version in comparison?

e: Oh wait, is it one of those Working designs translations where they fill the dialogue with stupid jokes and pop culture references (re: Magic Knight Rayearth)

Did Rush talk about how Bill Clinton had inappropriate relations with women?

I don't know if the PS1 translation is any better but the Sega CD version is exactly why I hate WD.

zmet

Feels real good to see this thread is still alive and kicking. Some of my more recent OSSC (3x 240p) pics:

Devils Crash MD
bWGMqDU.jpg

Smash TV (PS)
6XOjfwL.jpg

svxgO9P.jpg

Golvellius (SMS)
HjGGGBP.jpg

Peltz

I'd like to know too. How can I run indie/retro pixel art titles like Sonic Mania and Shovel Knight in native resolution?

Definitely PC version, using a custom resolution. I saw a guide on reddit last week. I'll see if I can pull it up. Also iirc someone on the Retro AV Club thread posted how they did it too.

Got a new 4K TV so i've been trying a few things through the Framemeister!

I just recently played through this on a real SNES through S-Video as well... It looks good but not this good (D-Terminal). Plus I hate how Super Metroid shows up the vertical line issue on a real SNES. I've got a SNES Wii Classic Pad but it's at my parents house, need to get them to send it to me for future playthroughs!

How does the frame meister work with a 4k tv? Any issues?

How does the frame meister work with a 4k tv? Any issues?

No issues really. I adjusted my scanline settings a little, though it was probably just the jump (32" to 43") playing tricks with my eyes, making them seem different. The TV i got seems to do a good job scaling 720p to 4k and I haven't noticed any additional lag. Saturn games with changing resolutions have about the same delay as before, maybe a little less. Oh and i enabled the HDMI Deep Color option because i can ... though i'm guessing that doesn't make a whole lot of difference with consoles using ~32k or less colors!

Top Bottom