• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA's new Vita campaign is a #gamechanger

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Something about it so bluntly saying YOUR MISSION: GET FRIENDS TO BUY THIS is hysterical.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Sony is really desperate it seems,I guess they don't even know to to market the Vita or what to do with it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
I did one of these referral things online once and i never did get my ps3. i got spam, but not my ps3.

geebee

Banned
Saw this email as well.. and it's pretty fucking pathetic. Sony is now banking on selling Vitas by word of mouth? lol

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
This is pretty desperate. I dunno what will happen to Sony if this doesn't work. But if they market this well (doubt it) it might just work.

I hope it does. Because we love our Vitas. And it would be damn shame for the industry.

Sony:

Q: We need to find a new marketing tactic for the PSVita, it just isn't selling. What can we do?
A : Give up, pay people to market it for us.

BibiMaghoo

But...

How do they know?

If it's done via registering the device, then that leaves many consoles already purchased eligable.

like mine. :)

dreamfall

This is really depressing.

Why the hell are we trying to convince our friends to buy the system?

Please, give us more amazing titles so they'll convince themselves. The Vita seriously is an amazing piece of hardware. Give them something to play, a reason to buy the system!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
GAF should use all their might to get that $10k dollars!

Anyone here planning on buying a Vita? I could use $20 for Corpse Party.

Phhhh

Not sure that I understand the hate for the system. It's really a great piece of hardware with some pretty neato games.

neshoba78

Neo Member
Well, if you tell two friends and they tell two friends; soon enough Sony'll be pushing out more bucks than the Federal Reserve.

Shai-Tan

Banned
maybe they wouldnt need to if that Call of Duty game wasn't bad. i like my vita but the games I like so far are all niche

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Saw this email as well.. and it's pretty fucking pathetic. Sony is now banking on selling Vitas by word of mouth? lol

it's sad, they clearly don't know what to do with Vita, they don't know the target audience or what they should to sell the system to people, this only mean that they just gave up trying.

Zomba13

It's really a shame the Vita is struggling so much. I love mine that I got just before Christmas last year.

Tomodachi

Well it's not very different from what many companies already do, and they're not on the brink of failure. Like Sky (UK TV service, available here in Italy too) or phone and DSL companies, at least over here, not sure about the US.
It's sad that this is the most creative way of promoting Vita I've seen these last few months, but it's not nearly as ridiculous as you guys make it sound.

Also, I think Sony Rewards is a completely different company than SCEA?

Tobor

Dear Friends,

My name is Jack Tretton. Recently, I have fallen on hard times due to the release of the Playstation Vita. I need your help. Buy a Playstation Vita, and then send this letter to 5 friends. You will receive $20 in PSN credit. They will also buy Playstation Vitas, and send them to 5 friends. Then they will get $20 in PSN credit. Anyone who doesn't buy a Vita and send this letter to 5 friends will receive bad luck for one year. Seriously, I need some help here guys. I'm in big trouble.

Sincerely,

Jack Tretton.

bug_42

Why not just drop the price, and put some must play games. If COD had turn out better, they would be having these issues.

sony's marketing team really needs a kick in the @$$.

theres gotta be people who are overly qualified and out of work to fill that role.

I feel like they are trying to squeeze every last ounce of their 250-300$ price tags before they drop it... we all know a price drop is coming, so this might be a last effort, before the finale!

There's desperation, and then there's this. They have NO idea how to sell this damn machine, and have resorted to just paying the existing userbase to do it for them.

Also, how easy would it be to exploit this system?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm not sure what the big deal is? These types of promotions are popular all the time, its smart marketing - although this is the kind of thing Sony should have done eons ago.

"Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to convince your friends to buy a PS Vita. I'm not saying it will be easy, and I can't guarantee you'll make it out alive."

Juken

It's only sad because we know the desperate situation the Vita is in. Otherwise, it's not that unheard of. WoW has had a program like this for years.

Wait, isn't this the exact same strategy Nintendo touted for the Wii-U?

Your choice of Satoru Iwata, Shigeru Miyamoto or any other NCL employee will personally come to your door, hand you twenty cold hard dollars and apologise to you personally for the lack of Nintendo software (until March!).

BlackJace

I'm pretty sure they said that the lack of marketing over Xmas was because they wanted to sell to the hardcore and then have word of mouth draw in the rest.

I've certainly read that in more than one sales topic.

Er, that sounds quite different than sending out an email practically begging Vita owners to market the system for them in exchange for a gift card.

I really like the Vita, but holy hell is it a clusterfuck of a vision via Sony.

Soriku

Don't companies do this "refer a friend" thing all the time? I mean this thread's making me laugh but this seems rather harmless.

Vamphuntr

Fans should do a counter mission campaign where Sony's mission is to get good studios to put their best games on it. Each time they convince a studio to put a big franchise on it, someone agrees to buy a vita.

jay

All I want for St Patrick's Day is a V I T A

The campaign is a little funny but it's a company, not my girlfriend, so "desperation" doesn't really enter into it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Don't companies do this "refer a friend" thing all the time? I mean this thread's making me laugh but this seems rather harmless.

Yes and it's not any different than companies who use Facebook / Twitter referral counts for sweepstakes, its good word of mouth for minimal cost.

VanWinkle

Do you guys think it's embarassing for Hulu to give me a month of free Hulu Plus to any referral I get? I've seen countless other companies do this, too. This is coming from Sony Rewards (Read: getting rewards for doing something), not from Sony Computer Entertainment to everyone with a PSN ID.

Here's an idea. Instead of giving $40 for every Vita sold, why not just reduced Vita price by $40?

Sony get's (i'm guessing) 30% of each purchase on PSN, if you buy first party game they get 100%.

Sounds much better than dropping price (for Sony finances)

Top Bottom