• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA's new Vita campaign is a #gamechanger

SJRB

Gold Member
This is...weird. "Help us sell the thing, plz."

really?

This is actually a very common marketing strategy. Restaurants, sports clubs, insurance agencies. Referal reward programs are nothing new.

The "problem" with this Sony thing is that they make it sound pathetic and desperate in this ad. It reeks of sheer dispair: "please help us sell our shitty thing, PLEASE".

This is a very cool thing that will never launch because instead of actually making it cool, they made it cringe-worthy.

Tiops

The campaign is only funny here because of Vita's situation. As people said, a lot of companies do that, it's common marketing.

Tobor

In essence though, the idea was for the hardcore to spread the word to the wider audience. This is the same thing, but actively solicited and with financial incentive.

I dunno, I get that ragging on the Vita is the cool thing to do but I just don't see how this is some holy shit unthinkable measure. If anything, it shows Sony are 'trying', and lord knows people have wanted them to do that for a while.

I just think it's funny that Sony thinks I would actually know anyone who would want one.

Kimawolf

Why don't they just drop the damn price of it. It'd sell better if it was 149.99. 199.99 is too much still. I'll buy it at 149.99 just for the RPGs it'll get.

Aeana

This'll be Nintendo in a few months with the Wii U, and they'll get praise for it.

This stuff happens all the time, and it was only sent to Sony Rewards members (didn't even know that existed) not all PSN members.
If Nintendo does this exact same thing, they probably will get praise from some people, just like Sony is being praised by some people in here. But the majority of people would be making similar comments about it being a bit of a desperate move. And then some people will say "Sony just did this with the Vita, but nobody criticized them!!" further illustrating the nature of loyalism.

jspeerbr

Neo Member
Feels like I was hired for a job I didn't apply for

I am so putting this on my resume now!

VP Business Development - SCEA - January 2013 - Present
-Maintained Marketing campaign Using WOM, Facebook, and Twitter
-Moderated multiple message boards to deliver company's mission statement
-Managed a team of 10000 board members
-had 100% increase in YOY sales

FLAguy954

amn36.gif

kaz_hirai_laughing.jpg

The advert made me laugh.

Well, it works for Mary Kay. Direct, interpersonal contact is the best marketing tool one can use, so this is a pretty smart little promotion. It won't change the Vita's fate, but at least it's something.

Minions

This is actually probably a lot cheaper than running advertisements to be perfectly honest. Surprised the wii-u has not started this promotion.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I just think it's funny that Sony thinks I would actually know anyone who would want one.

Well, maybe not you, but I did help my friend get one and we play online once a week on it.
Now all the big three players have or (have had) referral promotions.

guek

Banned
When can we start laughing at people for having a vita persecution complex? Now? Next week?

note: I'm just kidding, sheesh. every company/product/icecream has its own share of haters.

stuminus3

I convinced EVERYONE I knew to buy a Sega Dreamcast for Christmas back in 2000. Sega pulled the plug like a week later. I can still remember the death threats.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
*to receive your one million reward points you must accept a two year contract as CEO of SCEA.

Sandfox

The fact that Sony would rather do things like this rather than lower the price, make a new bundle, or even have a limited time sale is telling.

Kimawolf

They are desperate, and so they should be.

They will, just not yet. I'm not convinced that it'll make any major difference though.

Well it may not in the grand scheme of things, but 149.99 is much more of a impulse buy than 199.99. I know for me I could justify it to myself for the few games i'd get. And since I don't have a PS3 I won't get all the functionality out of it anyhow.

And even if I wanted one, are there still the 3g ones out there?

EBCubs03

Banned
Do you guys think it's embarassing for Hulu to give me a month of free Hulu Plus to any referral I get? I've seen countless other companies do this, too. This is coming from Sony Rewards (Read: getting rewards for doing something), not from Sony Computer Entertainment to everyone with a PSN ID.

you work for sony's marketing division don't you

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
"Hell, I don't know how to sell this damned thing. Why don't you guys give it a shot?"

M-PG71C

Hey, I've already started participating in this and I have had up to 84 people and counting buying Vita's. Sony considers me a winner, and for that, I feel like I am being treated well as a long-term customer.

Kacho

Hey, I've already started participating in this and I have had up to 84 people and counting buying Vita's. Sony considers me a winner, and for that, I feel like I am being treated well as a long-term customer.

Mission Complete

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
This is...weird. "Help us sell the thing, plz."

really?

yup,sound like they just gave up trying.

I guess since the PS4 is coming and they need to shift all their focus there they don't want to bother anymore with marketing Vita.

Nordell

Neo Member
This makes sense, if this deal would go out onto stores, I can imagine many store clerks selling customers a vita and hook them up with a 20 dollar psn bonus. It's a win-win for store clerk, customer and sony.

If I worked at gamestop or something I would push vitas onto customers like craaaazayyy!

Dabanton

This machine feels like it's taking that final walk to irrelevancy. I don't think Sony will kill it off, not obviously anyway, but they'll just let it amble along. Sony obviously can't be assed and it looks like third parties have taken their lead.

How has Sony not leveraged more of their IP's? it's Madness.

In the years to come when we read all the backstage gossip on this machine the tales are going to be wild.

Top Bottom