• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2024 TV Lineup Revealed: Use Mini LED over OLED for 2024 Flagship TV

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Mini LED > OLED

Sony-X95-L-Review-Chasing-OLED-with-Less-Zones-vs-Samsung-TCL-Mini-LED-TVs-15-10-screenshot.png

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
You think Mini LED is good, just wait until Micro LED becomes mainstream. That is what I am holding out for for my next TV upgrade.

I would love to replace my QN90A with a Bravia 9. If the Bravia 7 is as good as last year's X95L I would even consider that. The X95L wasn't available at 65" in America.

GriffinCorp

I have my eye on the Sony A90L QD-OLED but is the Bravia 9 going to be better? The price is sort of close. I was surprised that they did not announce any new QD-OLEDs.

Chiggs

4W4dWnI.png

I can see whoremaster Caleb is sensing another golden opportunity to suck off a product manager and, perhaps, an entire marketing team if he can muster the strength to do so (he can).

"Want me to bash OLED? I can do that! *Slurp* Slurp* Want me to talk about how 'true black' is totally overrated and that backlights add more charm to the content you're watching? I can do that! *Slurp* Slurp*

Meicyn

Gold Member
Looks good but for one thing that makes it unusable

Only 2 hdmi 2.1 ports (2 are only hdmi 2.0)

Is this 2016?
It gets worse, one of the 2.1 ports is the eARC port. Sony reminds me of Apple, they are masterclass in the synergy of software and hardware. But then they cheap out on dumb shit, like how Apple still ships computers with 8GB of shared memory for system and video.

Mattyp

Gold Member
MiniLED over OLED, however Sonys Android TV is fucking trash so I've only bought Samsungs for quite awhile now and will continue to do so have moved away from Sony TVs just because of how poor the operating system was in comparison.

Samsung 85" x3
Samsung 75" x1
Sony 65" x1
Sony 48" x1

Will phase out these last Sonys from in my house shortly.

Chiggs

It gets worse, one of the 2.1 ports is the eARC port. Sony reminds me of Apple, they are masterclass in the synergy of software and hardware. But then they cheap out on dumb shit, like how Apple still ships computers with 8GB of shared memory for system and video.

They're just sooooo in love with MediaTek that they couldn't even imagine a world without their shitty chipsets!

My Samsung Q70 82 inch has a great picture but the HDMI tech is about as bare bones as 2019 had to offer. ARC, not even EARC, ONE HDMI port with full features.
Sony you got to do better than 2019 HDMI tech and have at least an 82" or bigger available to get me to look your way.

Meicyn

Gold Member
They're just sooooo in love with MediaTek that they couldn't even imagine a world without their shitty chipsets!
It really is a baffling choice. Mediatek must be giving them a stupid good deal, but the limit to what is effectively a single 2.1 port is a significant limitation compared to Sony’s peers. I route all my stuff through my Denon receiver, but I know it introduces some degree of latency, even if I can’t perceive it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Got burned with Sony 900e TV. Shittest TV I ever had. Burned out pixels, Laggy OS, ARC port sound issues which I fixed by using the old school optical port. Wow thanks. At least optical audio works like it's 1999. First and last time ever buying a Sony TV. Even just booting up the Netflix app was sketchy and would hang.

Got a free replacement from Costco as the repair guy couldnt fix it anymore due to parts shortage (or so is claimed). I picked the best rated LG Nanocell TV offered which going by ratings.com got meh scores. 900e got close toa 9/10 i think and my TV was rated like a 7/10 so I thought it'd be crap. Way better tv, faster, and zero issues so far. Everything works and to boot it even has a 120fps HDMI port.

Down the line when it comes to getting a newer TV, I'll look into an LG OLED.

Last edited:

MikeM

Eyeing that LG B4 hard as a replacement to my old Panasonic ST60 plasma.

Only LED panels I like are Sony but no way am I taking the hit with their lack of 4x 2.1 ports and their handicapping of backlight management when game mode is engaged. Hell, Dolby Vision only works at 60fps too.

I'm waiting for super high density MiniLED to come to the monitor market then that'll be my stopgap until MicroLED reaches mass market numbers. OLED is a joke with it's screen dimming, burn out and horrible subpixel arrangements.

I am so very tempted to upgrade to a Bravia 9 from my Samsung QN90C but Game Motion+ is a legit awesome feature for gaming which is why I am sticking with Samsung (for now).

I've seen screen shots of the Sony game bar and it has blur reduction - does anyone know if its any good?

dave_d

I guess I should post this youtube link since it talks about how TV technologies are merging

All I'll add is I hope some day we get 1000hz screen with rolling scan. (So we'll have motion clarity like CRTs but all the advantages of flat screens.)

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
SONY 2024 TV LINEUP & PRICING

Bravia 9 Mini LED (85”, 75”, 65”)
85" Class (84.6" diag): $5,499.99
75" Class (74.5" diag): $3,999.99
65" Class (64.5" diag): $3,299.99

Bravia 8 OLED (77”, 65”, 55”)
77" Class (76.7" diag): $3,899.99
65" Class (64.5" diag): $2,799.99
55" Class (54.6" diag): $1,999.99

Bravia 7 Mini LED (85”, 75”, 65”, 55”)
85" Class (84.6" diag): $3,499.99
75" Class (74.5" diag): $2,799.99
65" Class (64.5" diag): $2,299.99
55" Class (54.6" diag): $1,899.99

Bravia 3 LED (85”, 75”, 65”, 55”, 50”, 43”)
85" Class (84.6" diag): $1,799.99
75" Class (74.5" diag): $1,299.99
65" Class (64.5" diag): $999.99
55" Class (54.6" diag): $849.99
50" Class (49.5" diag): $699.99
43" Class (42.5" diag): $599.99

Oh No Football GIF by UEFA

Reallink

It really is a baffling choice. Mediatek must be giving them a stupid good deal, but the limit to what is effectively a single 2.1 port is a significant limitation compared to Sony’s peers. I route all my stuff through my Denon receiver, but I know it introduces some degree of latency, even if I can’t perceive it.

Can't speak for every single make and model, but there's no reason modern AVR's should introduce any measurable lag if you turn off the processing and GUI overlay bullshit (like the popup volume bar), Vincent has measured one with his input lag device. I think I've seen Denon's measured at 0ms too with all the crap turned off.

Can't justify the price of Sony tvs when LG and Samsung do just as good for significantly less money.
No sorry, but they are still lacking in an important point and that is upscaling quality. I compared many tvs and spoke to experts and it’s just a fact that Sony still offers the best upscaling quality and it’s still a very important feature as I doubt anyone is using 100% native 4K content.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Can't speak for every single make and model, but there's no reason modern AVR's should introduce any measurable lag if you turn off the processing and GUI overlay bullshit (like the popup volume bar), Vincent has measured one with his input lag device. I think I've seen Denon's measured at 0ms too with all the crap turned off.
Excellent to know, very appreciated. I have video conversion off so no GUI or any other post processing is done by the receiver. Explains why I couldn’t perceive any difference since there’s apparently none, lol. Yay!

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Having both in my house I am right there with you. While still sometimes using my OLED monitor I will never buy another non mini LED TV. For me those 4k nits trump inky blacks all day as long as their dimming algorithm is good
You plan on upgrading the QN90A or are you still content? This Bravia 9 looks like a new breakthrough for local dimming tech while being able to produce a massive amount of Nits.

Go_Ly_Dow

I thought creating this thread would cause an OLED vs non OLED war but it's a battle that must take place for the future of visual entertainment.

In 2-3 years my wallet will be ready for my next set my money will go to the victor.

homer simpson fighting GIF

Last edited:

mrmeh

I think I read that there is only LG and Samsung that make their own full custom chipsets so all TV's outside of those brands are currently limited to 2x HDMI 2.1 due to the all the other manufacturers using the same 'best' chipset available.

mrmeh

I recently bought the 75" Hisense (75U8KQTUK) that has a different panel type (IPS-ADS as opposed to the VA panels in the rest of the range), I was coming from a 4/5 year old LG B7 OLED that had Minecraft :messenger_heart: and YouTube logo burnt in when the screen was redish.

The new Hisense is much better than the older OLED (apart from viewing angles) Mini LED so much brighter. There also does not seem to be any Halo'ing or blooming - really impressed so far. Black bars are black while picture is really bright. Couldn't afford a 75" LG OLED so this was a compromise, but I'm happy with it.
h0NARA8.jpeg

Xtib81

QLED-vs-OLED-TV-Samsung-QN90-A-vs-LG-CX-Direct-Picture-Comparison-7-30-screenshot.png

QLED-vs-OLED-TV-Samsung-QN90-A-vs-LG-CX-Direct-Picture-Comparison-7-32-screenshot.png

QLED-vs-OLED-TV-Samsung-QN90-A-vs-LG-CX-Direct-Picture-Comparison-7-42-screenshot.png

They tricked you into buying a dim TV. I fell for it once too. Enjoy those perfect blacks though.
Bro, LG cx!? why not showing the LG b7 while you're at it ? lol. I don't deny that mini led screens are brighter. However the latest Oled screens reach 1500 nits on a 10% window and I feel like it's bright enough. Now, I'm not an oled fanboy, I'm actually quite disappointed with my E9 so my next screen could be a mini led but everytime I watch comparisons, the contrast on Oled just takes the cake.

Last edited:

mrmeh

Bro, LG cx, what not showing the LG b7 while you're at it ? lol. I don't deny that mini led screens are brighter. However the latest Oled screens reach 1500 nits on a 10% window and I feel like it's bright enough. Now, I'm not an oled fanboy, I'm actually quite disappointed with my E9 so my next screen could be a mini led but everytime I watch comparisons, the contrast on Oled just takes the cake.

I think there is a thing with OLED screens to auto dim a bright picture after a bit of time to avoid burn in, which can be an issue depending on what your watching. Not sure that always gets picked up - I know HDTV TEST did a thing on it. Still High end OLEDs are hard to beat though.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Bro, LG cx!? why not showing the LG b7 while you're at it ? lol. I don't deny that mini led screens are brighter. However the latest Oled screens reach 1500 nits on a 10% window and I feel like it's bright enough. Now, I'm not an oled fanboy, I'm actually quite disappointed with my E9 so my next screen could be a mini led but everytime I watch comparisons, the contrast on Oled just takes the cake.

The QN90C is a shit Mini LED for the simple fact it uses an IPS panel which has low native contrast. There is a reason Samsung went back to a VA panel for the QN90D. Matter of fact the more expensive QN95C of last year also uses a VA panel.

magnumpy

I said "wow!"

good to see technology continues its never ending forward march of progress :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:
Top Bottom