• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony 2024 TV Lineup Revealed: Use Mini LED over OLED for 2024 Flagship TV

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I recently bought the 75" Hisense (75U8KQTUK) that has a different panel type (IPS-ADS as opposed to the VA panels in the rest of the range), I was coming from a 4/5 year old LG B7 OLED that had Minecraft :messenger_heart: and YouTube logo burnt in when the screen was redish.

The new Hisense is much better than the older OLED (apart from viewing angles) Mini LED so much brighter. There also does not seem to be any Halo'ing or blooming - really impressed so far. Black bars are black while picture is really bright. Couldn't afford a 75" LG OLED so this was a compromise, but I'm happy with it.
h0NARA8.jpeg

Nice impressions. Hisense have great tvs and they're a lot more affordable for my wallet.

S0ULZB0URNE

Gonna need a reference because AVForums measured 1% window at near 1500, 50% window under 500, and full window at 221.

I believed LG themselves claimed this number… though, upon investigation this may be the maximum brightness of the MLA+ technology.

“Starting out with performance, the LG G4 features a next-gen MLA (Micro Lens Array) OLED panel that LG Display (the business segment of LG that supplies OLED panels to the LG Electronics division) claims to be capable of 3,000 nits peak brightness.” - Techradar

The G4 is set to include LG's new 2024 MLA panel, also referred to as ‘META Technology 2.0’. This comprises the trio of ‘Micro Lens Array Plus (MLA+),’ ‘META Multi Booster,’ and the new internally developed ‘Detail Enhancer’, which is designed to emphasise full-range brightness details.

‘META Technology 2.0’ has a reported maximum brightness of 3000 nits’ - whathifi

I withdraw my previous assertion.

Meicyn

Gold Member
I believed LG themselves claimed this number… though, upon investigation this may be the maximum brightness of the MLA+ technology.

“Starting out with performance, the LG G4 features a next-gen MLA (Micro Lens Array) OLED panel that LG Display (the business segment of LG that supplies OLED panels to the LG Electronics division) claims to be capable of 3,000 nits peak brightness.” - Techradar

The G4 is set to include LG's new 2024 MLA panel, also referred to as ‘META Technology 2.0’. This comprises the trio of ‘Micro Lens Array Plus (MLA+),’ ‘META Multi Booster,’ and the new internally developed ‘Detail Enhancer’, which is designed to emphasise full-range brightness details.

‘META Technology 2.0’ has a reported maximum brightness of 3000 nits’ - whathifi

I withdraw my previous assertion.
Appreciate the follow-up. Was genuinely interested because I ruled out the G4 due to what AVForums measured, so the prospect of 3000 nits was intriguing and if true, would have made me reassess that decision.

What type of panel are we talking about ? Oled, miniled ?
I'm not sure but I'm still using the 55XE9005 and I'm not one to upgrade a TV often. Given I got it 6 years ago I figure it's time for an upgrade. £2000 I'd like to pay, is OLED still the best?

King Dazzar

I'm not sure but I'm still using the 55XE9005 and I'm not one to upgrade a TV often. Given I got it 6 years ago I figure it's time for an upgrade. £2000 I'd like to pay, is OLED still the best?
Whatever tech & brand you decide to go for (always best to get your own eyes on if you can). Most TV's drop significantly in price from winter through to spring So you might still be able to grab a bargain. But new TV's will be dominant soon and will be full price, with last years becoming more difficult to get hold of.

Last edited:
Whatever tech & brand you decide to go for (always best to get your own eyes on if you can). Most TV's drop significantly in price from winter through to spring So you might still be able to grab a bargain. But new TV's will be dominant soon and will be full price, with last years becoming more difficult to get hold of.
Thank you, I definitely want to get a good deal on a slightly older TV.

Xtib81

It honestly depends what you like and in what conditions you use it.
If I wanted to get an Oled right now, I'd probably get the LG G3 (it Comes with a 5-year warranty I think) or the Samsung s95c as they are relatively 'affordable' and among the best on the market today. I don't know the mini led market as much so I won't recommend anything, others here will certainly.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm on the market for a new TV and made a thread asking for advice a few weeks ago. Gaf was unanimous recommending the LG C3 but looking at mini-LED, I ain't so sure anymore.
OLED makes for a great TV but if you have much ambient light at all FOR ME PERSONALLY mini LED wins hands down

Most people who put mini LED down simply have not actually seen a good one in action

Honestly if you have a Best Buy nearby try one of both in your actual home and pick the winner based on what your eyes like the best

It honestly depends what you like and in what conditions you use it.
If I wanted to get an Oled right now, I'd probably get the LG G3 (it Comes with a 5-year warranty I think) or the Samsung s95c as they are relatively 'affordable' and among the best on the market today. I don't know the mini led market as much so I won't recommend anything, others here will certainly.
Just did some looking around and was impressed by the Samsung S90c at a very reasonable price.

Bojji

Fully agree.

The problem with this is that experts and enthusiasts tend to have home theater setups in controlled, static, dark environments. This is also typically the condition used for testing and comparison.

Meanwhile, this is what is immediately to my right in my living room:
fxNmP3c.jpeg

A lot of natural light enters through those south facing windows. It’s overcast outside today, so it’s a lot brighter during most days. An OLED’s “infinite contrast” ceases to matter in my viewing conditions because sunlight will make the colors pop less. I don’t have to work for a living anymore, so I experience viewing content during daylight hours way more than at night. I also have no intentions of turning my living room into a cave, and my plants obviously appreciate it.

It’s not about what tech is best on paper. It’s about the complete viewing experience. During evening hours, my current Sony LED’s blooming is extremely obvious and it’s annoying. An OLED would easily destroy it during those hours. But again, the majority of my usage time is during the daytime, not evening. Peak brightness of current OLEDs in a >50% window is still half of what my 5 year old LED has. Games frequently have bright moments such as when I get flashbanged in a shooter, and I do not want a dim looking screen in my living room. Even as bright as my current LED is, I wish it was a little brighter on really sunny days.

Unfortunately, the LG G4 still falls short of what I was hoping for, and so the Sony Bravia 9 will give me what I need. It won’t match an OLED in dark viewing hours, but it will probably get really close. During daytime in my viewing environment, it’s no contest, the Bravia 9 with it allegedly hitting 4000 peak and probably 1000 full window will give me what I’ve been waiting for.

Yep, tv needs to be chosen with how much light is present when using it. In my case there is very little light even during the day, I always preferred minimum light environments. I have this closed to the sun 90% of the time (not my photo)

1920-9-gallery-rolety-dzien-noc-16.jpg

OLED is perfect for me. But I totally get why it can be too dim when there is a lot of natural light present.

Dolby Vision has 10000 nit movies.
Many 4000 nit movies are available oh and....

Sony’s new 4000-nit mastering monitor could be bad news for OLED TVs​

Many, yes but majority of movies aren't above 1000 nits. This mastering monitor may or may not change this trend, monitors that bright already existed (as article says).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
While it's lame that not every port is HDMI 2.1 these days, it's not as dramatic as you make it seem with the HDMI 2.1 switches of today.

61oTnHHMsLL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Been using this using for PS5, XSX, RetroTink 4K and PC at 4K HDR 120 Hz on one 1 TV HDMI port without issues.
SO....spend another $200 on an already expensive TV....great plan

GriffinCorp

Are Sony going to keep pushing QD OLED or moving on?
Kind of looks like they plan to move on. Maybe they can't make much profit off those panels, since they have to purchase from other vendors. I wish Costco sold the A90L, mine only has the A80L and I have been on the fence on what model to purchase. I can't wait to see these, maybe BestBuy will have them side by side in the coming months. I feel like all I read is OLED is the endgame or now QD-OLED is.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Quite excited about this tech. If it works as they advertise (and as some demos have shown), it could have all of the benefits of OLED with none of the drawbacks. Plus much more brightness.

Could definitely see myself upgrading my 77C2 to an 85" one of these in the next few years.

Last edited:
I will have to wait and see what hands on comparisons look like, but for those prices I would still likely choose OLED. Just watching last year's comparisons between Samsung QLED (which is mini led) the bright scenes and whites look better on the mini-led, but the OLED still has less blooming, blacker blacks, more accurate colors, and better contrast.

Edit: I should probably also state that I only game after the kids have gone to bed, and our family mostly only watches TV in the evening, so we have a pretty dark room more than 90% of the time

Last edited:
The QN90C is a shit Mini LED for the simple fact it uses an IPS panel which has low native contrast. There is a reason Samsung went back to a VA panel for the QN90D. Matter of fact the more expensive QN95C of last year also uses a VA panel.
People who never owned a QN90C need to stop with the slander. Obviously its not as good as a QN95C but its better than the QN90B andQN 90A.

S0ULZB0URNE

Yep, tv needs to be chosen with how much light is present when using it. In my case there is very little light even during the day, I always preferred minimum light environments. I have this closed to the sun 90% of the time (not my photo)

1920-9-gallery-rolety-dzien-noc-16.jpg

OLED is perfect for me. But I totally get why it can be too dim when there is a lot of natural light present.

Many, yes but majority of movies aren't above 1000 nits. This mastering monitor may or may not change this trend, monitors that bright already existed (as article says).
And no OLED can hold even a 1000 nits full or even half screen brightness long.

Most movies are HDR 10 as well, that doesn't mean I am buying tech that only supports HDR 10 instead of Dolby Vision.
In fact if above 1000 nits and Dolby Vision are missing... that TV can miss me.

For gaming I only do non full screen 1000 nits brightness with my QD-OLED gaming but much rather a much brighter display with Dolby Vision gaming.(my one is capable of DV gaming even though not many exist)

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Again: maybe, just maybe, Sony know a thing or two about TVs.
That, or their OLEDs received too many complaints about who knows what, or bombed because of price. The latter is unlikely, because Sony is going to ask premium price regardless of the tech.

Truth be told, the one time I saw cable TV running on a A9, the motion was night and day vs LG’s fabled C9 that the internet scammed me into buying. LG can keep their 4 HDMI 2.1 ports when everything below 60fps is a slideshow on their screens, and even 60+ fps looks somewhat off. I’m fine with my current midrange Sony LED, and you can bet I’ll seriously consider Sony for a future TV, even if the Sony tax is hard to swallow.

Xtib81

They're not just as good. That's why they're cheaper. That's not how technology works.
What justifies the 1000€ (!!) difference between the s95c/G3 and the a95l, then? You can see lots of comparisons, even blind tests with professionals, the a95l is not superior.

Buhaj

65" Bravia 9 unavailable in Europe, so I need to look elsewhere - it will be more expensive than I predicted anyway, around the price of the A95L. The X95L and G3/G4 seem better priced, did anyone compare the two to see if the OLED is worth potential burn in issues? The X95L is a peace of mind, but not sure what the blooming might be. My TV corner is not very sunny.

Or maybe the A80L/Bravia 8? I like Android TV and people say the Sony processing is superior, but surely the MLA panel outweighs the Sony processing?

Last edited:
It's more on the physics side of things. Shrinking them down to the micro level is kicking samsungs ass. Getting below that 100 micron level isn't easy. You can get a micro led now but the TV size isn't under 80 inches lol. Might as well buy a car for the price of the TV

I am sure with the power of...

magic.gif

...they will get over those technological hurdles!

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
MiniLED over OLED, however Sonys Android TV is fucking trash so I've only bought Samsungs for quite awhile now and will continue to do so have moved away from Sony TVs just because of how poor the operating system was in comparison.

Samsung 85" x3
Samsung 75" x1
Sony 65" x1
Sony 48" x1

Will phase out these last Sonys from in my house shortly.

I you saying you use only the built in apps for streaming, etc, or is it just the menus thst bother you? Because if it's the apps why not just an apple tv box for each tv and have a better experience than any tv in existance and the bonus of better picture quality than the built in apps?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Given that LG now supports 144Hz over HDMI 2.1, I am hoping we get 240 Hz before too much longer. Won't happen real soon, but I'd much prefer a TV as my main gaming rig.

keefged4

No OLED, no buy. I'll take infinite contrast and perfect blacks over gray blacks and a brightness that amounts to staring at the surface of the sun anyday. The whole "oleds aren't bright enough!" thing is ridiculous, how bright do you want a display to be? Are you using your TVs in greenhouses?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
65" Bravia 9 unavailable in Europe, so I need to look elsewhere - it will be more expensive than I predicted anyway, around the price of the A95L. The X95L and G3/G4 seem better priced, did anyone compare the two to see if the OLED is worth potential burn in issues? The X95L is a peace of mind, but not sure what the blooming might be. My TV corner is not very sunny.

Or maybe the A80L/Bravia 8? I like Android TV and people say the Sony processing is superior, but surely the MLA panel outweighs the Sony processing?

The Bravia 7 is an option and likely to be superior to the X95L.

I'm on the market for a new TV and made a thread asking for advice a few weeks ago. Gaf was unanimous recommending the LG C3 but looking at mini-LED, I ain't so sure anymore.
Unless mini-LED has improved to the point where there are no glowing halos around text or white objects on a dark background, OLED is still king. I'm not sure how many LED array zones are required to effectively eliminate the glowing halos.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I you saying you use only the built in apps for streaming, etc, or is it just the menus thst bother you? Because if it's the apps why not just an apple tv box for each tv and have a better experience than any tv in existance and the bonus of better picture quality than the built in apps?

The menus, each update seems to lag these TVs to near unusable levels after a few years. The apps react no better at that point, I have an AppleTV in the dedicated theatre but shouldn't be necessary to use a seperate box for a couple apps on modern TVs.

Lessons learned but.

Hudo

So I'll guess their PC monitor efforts have already ceased? I thought that if they kept working on their Inzone offering, they'd have pretty good monitors around the third or fourth iteration.

Cool for those who prefer those TVs, but I've had my LG CX for almost four years now, and I'm not planning on giving up OLED anytime soon. I simply do not plan to return to local dimming.
So I'll guess their PC monitor efforts have already ceased? I thought that if they kept working on their Inzone offering, they'd have pretty good monitors around the third or fourth iteration.

Just added the LG C3 42" to my OLED collection, and with an eye on the 77" G4 next.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The menus, each update seems to lag these TVs to near unusable levels after a few years. The apps react no better at that point, I have an AppleTV in the dedicated theatre but shouldn't be necessary to use a seperate box for a couple apps on modern TVs.

Lessons learned but.

I will admit the Sony menu is laggy, there are some tips and tricks to make android run leaner if you really want.

While it shouldn't be nessesary, just to me it doesn't make sense to turn your back on multiple brands when the solution is a $150 box that is better than anything built in, you are getting added value anyhow just in pure picture quality.
I have had some Samsungs (mini led), some Sony's (local dimming led and OLED) and some LG oleds in the house recently, and all them look better with an apple tv hooked up, even more so with Dolby Vision enabled (something you can't do on the Samsung TV's)
And yes I have tried hdr 10+ on the Samsung and it wasn't as good.

GymWolf

Again: maybe, just maybe, Sony know a thing or two about TVs.
That, or their OLEDs received too many complaints about who knows what, or bombed because of price. The latter is unlikely, because Sony is going to ask premium price regardless of the tech.

Truth be told, the one time I saw cable TV running on a A9, the motion was night and day vs LG’s fabled C9 that the internet scammed me into buying. LG can keep their 4 HDMI 2.1 ports when everything below 60fps is a slideshow on their screens, and even 60+ fps looks somewhat off. I’m fine with my current midrange Sony LED, and you can bet I’ll seriously consider Sony for a future TV, even if the Sony tax is hard to swallow.
Never looked into panasonic? You are european so you should look into them aswell.

After having an lg c1 for like 3 years now, my next tv is definitely not gonna be an lg, probably one between sony and panasonic.

Kerotan

Unless mini-LED has improved to the point where there are no glowing halos around text or white objects on a dark background, OLED is still king. I'm not sure how many LED array zones are required to effectively eliminate the glowing halos.
Sony prioritise picture quality over blooming. But as you say OLED has it's place. I wonder will QD OLED gain much brightness over the next few years.

Sony prioritise picture quality over blooming. But as you say OLED has it's place. I wonder will QD OLED gain much brightness over the next few years.
I have the Sony a95k. It properly handles HDR in games up to 1000 nits (extensively tested it myself). Almost all games are targeting 800. Unless they can somehow get to 4000, I don't see the point in trying. Just let OLED do what it does best for now, and we wait for micro LED or some other technology to rescue us.

And you are right, maybe Sony software/firmware can wrangle an OLED-like image from mini-LED. Its love to see it in action after experiencing their vastly superior image handling on their OLED.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

crème de la crème and it's a LED/LCD.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I don't see the appeal.
Every single aspect of mini-led is worse than oled. It's just a VA lcd with complicated background that can't match oled per pixel.
It is brighter and I know some prefer that to watch stuff in their living room. but for me, that ain't no way to watch anything other than news

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Never looked into panasonic? You are european so you should look into them aswell.

After having an lg c1 for like 3 years now, my next tv is definitely not gonna be an lg, probably one between sony and panasonic.
Panny is movies first, games second.
Also their TVs are not available in the US, so reviews are scarce except for their flagship models. I like to get all the available info before a purchase, and with Panasonic the info is usually lacking.

I suspect LG wouldn’t be as praised as it is if it had competition from Panasonic in more markets. Europe, on the other hand, doesn’t get Vizio, nor the good TCL and Hisense TVs that apparently offer very good quality for midrange prices.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Literally this entire post

Youre Wrong John C Mcginley GIF
not a single thing in my post is wrong tho. Your hate boner for oled is hard for me to understand.
I've explained it in other thread. This sony mini led is VA lcd with all it's problems and issues + complicated backlight that's many zones but still not enough... and the backlight needs time to adapt to what it's displaying too.

What's with all the oled dislike and neglection recently? Like... it is undeniable the best tv and monitor tech out there. Nothing comes close.
Perfect viewing angles, perfect black, perfect response times, contrast, hdr.... simply everything that's important on a TV.
And while it's not the brightest, let's not act like it's dark. My c1 is 800 nits and playing with HDR is squinting game. The thing is bright in dimmed room or with 1 light in the corner is how I usually play.
And in the dark, it's perfect immersion.

But it burns in (burns out actually)!!! yeah? so what? Mine is 8-9k hours. I will just get a new one. This one is 3 years and still looks brand new. No sign of burn out,

edit: btw - I am not talking about your preference. You might prefer mini led for many reasons and good for you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom