• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

School district pulls 'To Kill A Mockingbird' from reading list; 'makes people uncomf

Harper killed Atticus Finch for me in the sequel. Why did you have to that, Harper?

I'll just ignore the sequel in my mind lol.
The “sequel” was the original book. TKAM is technically a prequel, or rather more technically a total re-write of Go Set a Watchman. The original was never supposed to be released either, and IIRC the circumstances of its release were kind of questionable.

Edit: oops, already covered

Cyframe

I'm curious to what the reasons were. For example, I refused to read Huck Finn when I was in 8th grade because I went to a predominately white school, and I wasn't going to sit in an environment where white kids were reading a word I got called regularly in the hallway. So, the teacher did find a book around the same time period and read that privately in the library and took the test the teacher made for me.

But somehow, I kind of doubt the parents have the same reasonings mine did. They didn't say to ban the book. They asked for another option due to my circumstance.

NoKisum

.. You guys understand the book was pulled for it's racial slurs right?
You'd think that, with white people trying to find whatever reason they can to "reasonably" say the N word in the first place, they would love books like these.

L Thammy

The whole point of the book is to depict the South of the time, with the racism of the South being put on particularly display, and racist people in the South at the time would use that word. In that passage you quoted, Atticus is directly addressing the how the term is being used to insult him, when he doesn't think what it means - they're accusing him of loving black people - is really so bad as to be insulting.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm curious to what the reasons were. For example, I refused to read Huck Finn when I was in 8th grade because I went to a predominately white school, and I wasn't going to sit in an environment where white kids were reading a word I got called regularly in the hallway. So, the teacher did find a book around the same time period and read that privately in the library and took the test the teacher made for me.

But somehow, I kind of doubt the parents have the same reasonings mine did. They didn't say to ban the book. They asked for another option due to my circumstance.

That's an interesting perspective that, as a white student, I don't really consider---like it's easy to have the knee-jerk reaction from my point of view that the n-word is important to the novel as showcasing how powerful and dehumanizing it can be, and should be left in, but I'll always be looking at it from a detached point of view.

I guess in your case it is much more than that and you can't just look at its use in a historical contest---it's a continuing element of your life you're already forced to confront and deal with on a regular basis, and thus I can't blame you for wanting to avoid a novel using it when you already *get* how damaging the word can be.

kirblar

This is exactly right. Lots of people in this thread are making themselves look kind of stupid here.
No, we're not. It's a book explicitly dealing with racism and white supremacy in the South. The language is absolutely necessary in context.

This pattern of people just interacting in their own bubbles worries me a lot. The fact that parents are educating their children only within their own systems of values, without the opportunity to interact with other ideas or criticize their upbringing is going to do a number on them.

kirblar

This pattern of people just interacting in their own bubbles worries me a lot. The fact that parents are educating their children only within their own systems of values, without the opportunity to interact with other ideas or criticize their upbringing is going to do a number on them.
They've been doing this for eons though. When schools were forced to integrate, many white parents pulled their kids from public schools and put them into private ones (and pretty quickly the GOP was very uninterested in funding public education.) Even today, taking Charlottesville VA as an example- only 40% of the white kids there are going to public school.

BlueWord

That's ok. Harper Lee is overrated.

Read Ernst Gaines' A Lesson Before Dying instead.

lesson.jpg

Amazing book, and I agree that it may well be superior. Too bad those students won’t get either.

Wiped89

Yeah it’s suppose to make you feel uncomfortable and let you know of the racial issues in the past and compare them to today. Unfortunately, mockingbirds are still getting hunted today.

Came here to say this. The entire point of much of our classic literature is about challenging viewpoints. Look at things like Romeo & Juliet (challenging class divides), Oliver Twist (child working and big business), Lord Of The Flies (commentary on human nature), 1984 (the Big Brother state). I could go on.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Is this a serious post? How dense can you be?

Yeah, I love all the implications that this is because racists don't want to confront hard truths. This, Huck Finn, other great literature gets regularly banned because someone gets offended by the use of the n word, completely missing the context.

Liberals keep trying g to ban these books, and the conservative weenies keep trying to get rid of stuff like catcher in the rye and anything that mentions teh gayz.

Yes it's liberals who are banning the book. This is officially the dumbest post in the thread.

Ric Flair

Banned
To Kill a Mockingbird should be required reading for all grade school children, as well as Roots being a required viewing. Racism doesn't die in silence, it grows.

This is exactly right. Lots of people in this thread are making themselves look kind of stupid here.

So we should just ignore racism in our history?

The book has characters who are racist, the book itself is not racist. It features racist language, but it does not condone it. For academic purposes, and to teach kids about racism in our history, it is absolutely a vital piece of literature.

Meanwhile in England 'To Kill a Mockingbird' and 'Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' where suggested reading in top set English Lit class when I was at school during the 90s. So was 'Catcher in the Rye'.

So we should just ignore racism in our history?

The book has characters who are racist, the book itself is not racist. It features racist language, but it does not condone it.
While this is true, the book will, over time, feel more and more anachronistic. This is inevitable and natural. I still think it's a good book to teach in 2017, whatever, but I can also see why the parents of a black kid may not want their children studying a book where the n-word features dozens of times, even if the book isn't exactly endorsing the slur. Also, while Harper Lee may have been progressive "for her time," the book is not without its problems or its own dated attitude.

You could argue that kids of color "need" to be exposed to it, or that they're going to hear much worse in the real world, or that the merits of the book outweigh any discomfort they may have reading the n-word over and over, even in a literary context ... but I can also see the other side of it.

My general feeling is that difficult or controversial material can be taught thoughtfully and intelligently and compassionately--and that good art tends to be discomfiting by its nature--but I also think it's important to listen to people when they say something upsets them. And I don't think we need to force a 60 year-old paternalistic white person's novel onto anyone as some sort of defining account of racial injustice. They could just turn on the news.

Late Flag

Then you definitely fucked up your phrasing.

Not really. The first page is littered with posts that seem to think it gets banned because it's anti-racist or makes the south look bad or something. Historically, that's not why this book draws scrutiny.

kirblar

While this is true, the book will, over time, feel more and more anachronistic. This is inevitable and natural. I still think it's a good book to teach in 2017, whatever, but I can also see why the parents of a black kid may not want their children studying a book where the n-word features dozens of times, even if the book isn't exactly endorsing the slur. Also, while Harper Lee may have been progressive "for her time," the book is not without its problems or its own dated attitude.

You could argue that kids of color "need" to be exposed to it, or that they're going to hear much worse in the real world, or that the merits of the book outweigh any discomfort they may have reading the n-word over and over, even in a literary context ... but I can also see the other side of it.

My general feeling is that difficult or controversial material can be taught thoughtfully and intelligently and compassionately--and that good art tends to be discomfiting by its nature--but I also think it's important to listen to people when they say something upsets them. And I don't think we need to force a 60 year-old paternalistic white person's novel onto anyone as some sort of defining account of racial injustice. They could just turn on the news.
There's a much better case against Huck Finn in this regard than To Kill A Mockingbird. It's older, less explicit about what it's doing, and isn't really something I'd consider essential reading.
Not really. The first page is littered with posts that seem to think it gets banned because it's anti-racist or makes the south look bad or something. Historically, that's not why this book draws scrutiny.
The scrutiny is a pretense for this particular book.

There's a much better case against Huck Finn in this regard than To Kill A Mockingbird. It's older, less explicit about what it's doing, and doesn't have the same direct message.
Totally agree! I think To Kill a Mockingbird is still worth teaching, too. I just don't think it's a slam dunk case of anyone "censoring" anti-racist material.

I had the opposite reaction when I read Huckleberry Finn back in elementary school (recreationally, not as an assignment), it permanently turned me off of all censorship of slurs when reading books or historical text, to the point I would get irritated everytime I heard "n-word" whenever a teacher or student had to read something aloud, to this day.

royalan

Going off my own experience, I don't think it's the average black family that is wanting to avoid the topic of the ugliness and history behind that word. Most black families want their kids to know this.

I can't help but think it's mostly white people who want To Kill A Mockingbird erased. Which has always been the case.

Mulgrok

Going off my own experience, I don't think it's the average black family that is wanting to avoid the topic of the ugliness and history behind that word. Most black families want their kids to know this.

I can't help but think it's mostly white people who want To Kill A Mockingbird erased. Which has always been the case.

Ya, for the past 30 years in my area in the NW it has always been upper middle-class white religious extremists who want it banned.

Saw this, "Invisible Man", and "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" have all been banned.

Fam, what the fuck? Trying to blame it on there being racial slurs doesn't make any sense, either. They're set in the midst of some of our country's most ass backwards time periods, of course they're gonna be present.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Harper killed Atticus Finch for me in the sequel. Why did you have to that, Harper?

I'll just ignore the sequel in my mind lol.
Eh I like the idea of the sequel, because it’s a real thing that happens. The idea that your parent could very well end up being part of the wrong is sometimes unthinkable, especially when you know that as a good person who is charitable and generous. One could say it is a persons ultimate Milkshake Duck.

Sure, but do they need a white-savior novel written 60 years ago by a person born 90 years ago to teach their kids about pervasive racism and the injustices of our legal system? Sadly, no.

As I said, I still think it's a good book to teach. But I can also imagine a time when its influence wanes and other, more recent literature becomes more instructive and more interesting to learn. Some novels stand the test of time regardless of what comes; I'm not sure Mockingbird will be one of them.

Also, one of the seductive dangers of Mockingbird, for me, is that it consigns open racism and institutional injustice to the past; in 2017, it's taught as historical fiction. And it's even more interesting a case to consider in light of the controversy around Go Set a Watchman and its different vision of Atticus Finch.

zashga

This is about the most Mississippi story possible. Even a fictional story about racism is too uncomfortable for them.

Is this a serious post? How dense can you be?

Yes it's liberals who are banning the book. This is officially the dumbest post in the thread.
A simple Google search will demonstrate multiple examples where the book was banned out of political correctness by people who couldn't look past the n word, despite the book's message, not by right wingers who get uncomfortable with its message. It's not difficult.

rjinaz

I guess it would depend on who's making the complaints about the use of the N word in the book. I doubt most Black parents would because it's not being used the way that racists want to use it. I don't find it hard to believe at all that it's not really about the word.

entremet

Eh I like the idea of the sequel, because it’s a real thing that happens. The idea that your parent could very well end up being part of the wrong is sometimes unthinkable, especially when you know that as a good person who is charitable and generous. One could say it is a persons ultimate Milkshake Duck.

Good lord, I'm sick of that term lol.

Top Bottom