• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Science fails again: Faster than light neutrinos not so fast afterall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The final nail in the coffin may have been dealt to the idea that neutrino particles can travel faster than light.

The same lab that first reported the shocking results last September, which could have upended much of modern physics, has now reported that the subatomic particles called neutrinos "respect the cosmic speed limit."

Physicist Sergio Bertolucci, research director at Switzerland's CERN physics lab, presented the results Friday at the 25th International Conference on Neutrino Physics and Astrophysics in Kyoto, Japan.

"Although this result isn't as exciting as some would have liked, it is what we all expected deep down," Bertolucci said in a statement.

The new findings come from four experiments that study streams of neutrinos sent from CERN in Geneva to the INFN Gran Sasso National Laboratory in Italy. All four, including the experiment behind the first faster-than-light findings, called OPERA, found that this time around, the nearly massless neutrinos traveled quickly, but not that quickly. [ 10 Implications of Faster-Than-Light Neutrinos ]

Last year, OPERA measured that neutrinos were making the 454-mile (730-kilometer) underground trip between the two labs more speedily than light, arriving there 60 nanoseconds earlier than a beam of light would.

At the time, the physicists were stunned because such a result seemed to break Einstein's prediction that nothing could travel faster than light. This idea is at the heart of his theory of special relativity, on which much of our modern technology and scientific understanding is based.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47743180/ns/technology_and_science-science/

More at the link.

What do y'all think about them fancy scienticians now gaf? Bububu anthropogenic global warming, bububu evolution!!

Stuff like this is exactly why I don't get why these latte sipping eggheads at M.I.T. and Cal Tech are held in such high esteem. Stop taking these people's advice as gospel and start thinking for yourselves!

qn4spw.jpg.gif

Amir0x

Banned
oblivion is definitely not being serious guys

there was a topic months ago that showed the initial results were just hyperbolic reporting; good to see it's finally dead

KHarvey16

New article, old news. By the way, the original spurious findings were the result of a loose cable.

Did they narrow it down? I know originally they had more than one potential cause but the loose cable one never really made sense to me.

KHarvey16

That's what I was told by a fairly senior person at CERN.

I can only imagine it would be a cable for some kind of timing equipment or other type of support gear. Otherwise, I'd love to see these cables that make things happen before they should when you install them improperly lol ;).

tokkun

I can only imagine it would be a cable for some kind of timing equipment or other type of support gear. Otherwise, I'd love to see these cables that make things happen before they should when you install them improperly lol ;).

Yeah, I made the same comment when I first heard about it. It ended up being a cable in the clock synchronization system, if I remember correctly.

Man, Einstein had such an incredible mind. I still can't understand how a pretty normal dude, with bad grades in school, all of a sudden started thinking and came up with some of the greatest stuff we know up to this day.

tokkun

Man, Einstein had such an incredible mind. I still can't understand how a pretty normal dude, with bad grades in school, all of a sudden started thinking and came up with some of the greatest stuff we know up to this day.

The bad grades thing is just a popular myth.

Grakl

Nope, he had good grades and was a pretty spectacular guy before he was even 18, haha.

shaowebb

Actually the article demonstrates science working perfectly fine.

Yessir. The beauty of science is that it can correct its errors.

Pretty much this. Science allows for errors being possibilities and grows from what we can learn from them. I wouldn't exactly mock science Oblivion on a message board on the internet. I mean it takes a computer to even do that so the irony of your situation alone is just ridiculous.

shaowebb

Tesla is better

This. Tesla was freakin' ridiculously smart.

Read this comic that pretty much sums up Tesla's achievements

Dude was like the love child of Data and a Mentat or something. He even built a friggin earthquake machine creating tele-geodynamics from frequency and resonance research. Dude could shatter steel with frequency in the late 1800's early 1900's...good lord this man was brilliant to a scary level. Absolutley ridiculous how many things this man figured out on his own and how little he actually got from any of it.

Dibbz

Dude was like the love child of Data and a Mentat or something. He even built a friggin earthquake machine creating tele-geodynamics from frequency and resonance research. Dude could shatter steel with frequency in the late 1800's early 1900's...good lord this man was brilliant to a scary level. Absolutley ridiculous how many things this man figured out on his own and how little he actually got from any of it.

wow that was a great read.

Tesla is an e-hero, and by that I mean people on the internet tend to overexaggerate the things he did, attribute to him things of questionable legitimacy and generally romanticize him to a rather alarming degree. It's easy to lose track of what is fact and what is fiction, especially when people stat making him out to be the greatest genius in human history.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom