• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Science fails again: Faster than light neutrinos not so fast afterall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Anyone who enjoys reading about Tesla should try Jeff Smith's RASL comics. It's pretty fun.

bzm

Tesla is an e-hero, and by that I mean people on the internet tend to overexaggerate the things he did, attribute to him things of questionable legitimacy and generally romanticize him to a rather alarming degree. It's easy to lose track of what is fact and what is fiction, especially when people stat making him out to be the greatest genius in human history.

pretty much this, tesla is the scientist for people who dont actually know anything about science

This. Tesla was freakin' ridiculously smart.

Read this comic that pretty much sums up Tesla's achievements

Dude was like the love child of Data and a Mentat or something. He even built a friggin earthquake machine creating tele-geodynamics from frequency and resonance research. Dude could shatter steel with frequency in the late 1800's early 1900's...good lord this man was brilliant to a scary level. Absolutley ridiculous how many things this man figured out on his own and how little he actually got from any of it.

I love Tesla so much I would tell him with lasers from my eyes, but that comic needed an editor so badly it hurts. Fucking annoying.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tesla was a pretty poor scientist all things considered. An electrical engineering genius, sure, but he thought Einstein was poop (thought to be fair everyone did) and believed in the existence of the luminous aether.

Also, masterful title, Oblivion.

I love Tesla so much I would tell him with lasers from my eyes, but that comic needed an editor so badly it hurts. Fucking annoying.

Yep.

Tesla was a pretty poor scientist all things considered. An electrical engineering genius, sure, but he thought Einstein was poop (thought to be fair everyone did) and believed in the existence of the luminous aether.

Also, masterful title, Oblivion.

Tesla... wasn't all... there in the head.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's all that electro skin therapy.

Couldn't have been good for the old neurons.

Boss Man

Ha, happens all the time OP. They'd have you believe that they're always right, but it couldn't be further from the truth. If you listened to everything scientists said, you wouldn't even be able to gaze at the Sun or have a drink with a nice bottle of NyQuil before bed. Don't let any 'scientist' tell you what is or isn't right and definitely don't let them tell you how to live your life.

Kritz

Banned
Tkqcg.gif

That isn't a cycle at all! It's a line. It's The Science News Line.

I am off to write a strongly worded letter to the content creator.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47743180/ns/technology_and_science-science/

More at the link.

What do y'all think about them fancy scienticians now gaf? Bububu anthropogenic global warming, bububu evolution!!

Stuff like this is exactly why I don't get why these latte sipping eggheads at M.I.T. and Cal Tech are held in such high esteem. Stop taking these people's advice as gospel and start thinking for yourselves!

science is proving science, and your point?

I don't think 'these people' would ever consider their views as gospel. Academia are trained to be very critical about their own work and others.

well, if you are ill, you can listen to your doctor or you could try treating yourself.

OP was obvioys sarcasm. some people need to re-tune their meters.

Sarcasm is difficult to detect in writing. Especially if you don't know the person writing it. So its not really "obvious" that the OP was being sarcastic because people do exist with that viewpoint... unless you too are being sarcastic?

Steelrain

Sarcasm is difficult to detect in writing. Especially if you don't know the person writing it. So its not really "obvious" that the OP was being sarcastic because people do exist with that viewpoint... unless you too are being sarcastic?

Nah it was pretty obvious. Unless you are a non-native speaker.

That's not true. If you can detect sarcasm in real life social situations, you should be familiar with it on the internet.

This. Tesla was freakin' ridiculously smart.

Read this comic that pretty much sums up Tesla's achievements

Dude was like the love child of Data and a Mentat or something. He even built a friggin earthquake machine creating tele-geodynamics from frequency and resonance research. Dude could shatter steel with frequency in the late 1800's early 1900's...good lord this man was brilliant to a scary level. Absolutley ridiculous how many things this man figured out on his own and how little he actually got from any of it.

"Dude was beast." Omfgggggg I hate it I hate it

Raist

Banned
Some scientists are right, some are wrong. Science as a whole progresses.

I'll give you a general rule: One experiment made by one lab going against a 100 years old dogma is always a bit fishy and has to be carefully checked and rechecked. That's how it works in science and that's what happened here, so yeah, science still wins. Don't there there's any physics textbook out there which was edited to "some stuff can travel faster than c".

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Are we now going to start downplaying Tesla? This thread has definitely taken a turn for the worse. The man was always an engineer first and would often see things fully complete in his head, and then from there he'd attempt to build it.

Nothing wrong with Tesla but a lot of people overhype him, especially those who don't actually view his works in context.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Two "Inventors" that have always got overplayed in the history books were Edison and George Washington Carver.

Tesla doesn't get enough love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom