• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists find the king of the feathered dinosaurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairyD

WxIQm.jpg

stvo_picardo_gift_500x366.jpg

Feathers > scales.

Amalthea

Banned
70 million years in the future ant people will complain that they never will accept hairy reconstructions of mammals.

32148441410411highrespixi0.jpg

for life!

All this anti-feathered dinosaur sentiment is about as ridiculous as the Pluto is still a planet rhetoric from a few years back.

Get the fuck over it people.

Loxley

Is feathered Dinosaurs the new Pluto? This is the new Pluto, isn't it?

Is their a Niel deGrasse Tyson of the Paleontology community? If so, I'd lie to think he/she has an inbox full of angry emails from disgruntled dinosaur enthusiasts talking about how Paleontologists have raped their childhood with this whole "dinosaurs had feathers" thing.

That shit needs to get published.

Sibylus

Banned
Upright and slow dinosaurs have long been comical, methinks the Jurassic Park model, if not eventually comical, will become duly relegated to the pages of history. Loved the image that model evoked, but feathers and other aspects of birds evoke their own kind of terror.

Pollux

You know how Creationists say that the Devil planted dinosaurs and they're not real, yadda yadda ya? (Edit: beaten by the post above me no less. Damn. Oh well, my point still stands)

Well, that's how I feel about this T-Rex with FEATHERS BULLSHIT.

THIS IS T-REX:
JP-WhenDinosaursRuled.jpg

NOT THIS PUNK-ASS FEATHERED MORON:
120404-science-yutyrannus-1020a.grid-10x2.jpg

Why would a huge animal have feathers? Wouldn't that be counterproductive? Or is that another type of feather? Explain this bullshit science, you are ruining Jurassic Park!

Maybe all these feathered dinosaur fossils traveled on an astroid that broke off from the ninth planet in our solar system, Pluto.

Fuck you, scientists.

kswiston

Why would a huge animal have feathers? Wouldn't that be counterproductive? Or is that another type of feather? Explain this bullshit science, you are ruining Jurassic Park!

Feathers for thermoregulation, not flight. Same as Mammoths and Mastodons with fur.

Maybe all these feathered dinosaur fossils traveled on an astroid that broke off from the ninth planet in our solar system, Pluto.

Fuck you, scientists.

Pluto not being a planet is semantics. Dinosaurs with feathers is a fact. Be pissed at the previous scientists who filled your childhood with lies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
People complaining about feathered dinosaurs are almost as bad as the people who kept on whining about Pluto's relegation from planet status.

kswiston

People complaining about feathered dinosaurs are almost as bad as the people who kept on whining about Pluto's relegation from planet status.

Worse. Humans defined a planet vs dwarf planet. They are all celestial bodies. The definition that separated the two categories was refined.

Dinosaurs with feathers are a reality with or without people. Might as well be pissed that the earth is round and has no edges to fall off of.

BFIB

Jesus. T-Rex has feathers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are now aliens, and Pluto is no longer a planet?

I don't want to live in this world anymore.

Feathers for thermoregulation, not flight. Same as Mammoths and Mastodons with fur.

B-b-but they weren't living in the ice :(...

Oh, this is what I was thinking:

In spite of the downy feathers cloaking the earliest tyrannosaurs, probably not all tyrannosaurs would have been giant fuzz balls from hell. The larger an endothermic animal, the more heat it generates relative to the surface area of its body. Thus, mammals such as elephants and rhinoceroses have just a sparse coat of hair, because they need to radiate excess heat efficiently. A full-grown T. rex would have weighed about the same as a large African elephant, and so it is unlikely that the dinosaur would have benefited from extensive insulation. If T. rex was endothermic, though, a recently hatched T. rex, weighing only a few pounds, would be predicted to have been covered in insulating feathers, which were then shed as the animal grew [see illustration right].

All's well with the world, I guess.

I like things like this just because of the possibility that science could be wrong about loads of stuff. What if aliens!?

noah111

Still Alive
I remember when I was a kid, we were told "oh the dinosaurs might come in funny bright colors and patterns, maybe" and I thought to myself 'lame'. This is worse than that a hundred times fold.

kswiston

Keeping with the JP theme, here is the reality of velociraptor:

Vraptor-scale.png

Paleontologist Alan Turner said:
A lack of quill knobs does not necessarily mean that a dinosaur did not have feathers. Finding quill knobs on Velociraptor, though, means that it definitely had feathers. This is something we'd long suspected, but no one had been able to prove.

American Museum of Natural History Curator said:
The more that we learn about these animals the more we find that there is basically no difference between birds and their closely related dinosaur ancestors like velociraptor. Both have wishbones, brooded their nests, possess hollow bones, and were covered in feathers. If animals like velociraptor were alive today our first impression would be that they were just very unusual looking birds

velociraptor_mongoliensis.jpg

Keeping with the JP theme, here is the reality of velociraptor:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/Vraptor-scale.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.itsallfitness.com/cavesadventure/Extinct_Animals/dinosaurs/velociraptor_mongoliensis.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

There is no God.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
All this anti-feathered dinosaur sentiment is about as ridiculous as the Pluto is still a planet rhetoric from a few years back.

Get the fuck over it people.

Agreed. Science > nostalgia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom