• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists find the king of the feathered dinosaurs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alebrije

Maybe George has the answer for this dinocrisis.

dino_feather_ppg.jpg

btw...

dino-feathers.gif

Valhelm

contribute something
Couldn't this one species be an aberration? This seems like saying because one species of frog gives birth through its mouth, we should think of all frogs as doing that.

Gaborn

Couldn't this one species be an aberration? This seems like saying because one species of frog gives birth through its mouth, we should think of all frogs as doing that.

I think based on the fact of other dinosaurs definitely having feathers scientists have expected for a long time to find evidence of feathered t-rex. So this is more confirming their expectations.

why are they lying? What is there agenda? Crocs are dinos look at them. They do not have feathers. Feathers are for chickens. You eat them. they are not crazy majestic mofo like dinos. Scientist need to get hold of them self.

kswiston

Nope:

Wikipedia but Dino Wikipedia is well referenced said:
Coelurosauria is the clade (species group) containing all theropod dinosaurs more closely related to birds than to carnosaurs. In the past, it was used to refer to all small theropods, although this classification has been abolished. Nonetheless, it is still a diverse group that includes compsognathids, tyrannosaurs, ornithomimosaurs, and maniraptorans; Maniraptora includes birds, the only dinosaurs alive today. Most feathered dinosaurs discovered so far have been coelurosaurs; Philip J. Currie considers it probable that all coelurosaurs were feathered.

Basically, every species we find skin imprints for in this taxa had feathers. Most likely explanation is that they all had feathers.

There's a pretty big difference between Tyrannosaurine, Tyrannosaurids, and Tyrannosauroids. This is a basal tyrannosauroid, older than even Eotyrannus. We've known for year basal tyrannosauroids had feathers.

There's a pretty big difference between Tyrannosaurine, Tyrannosaurids, and Tyrannosauroids. This is a basal tyrannosauroid, older than even Eotyrannus. We've known for year basal tyrannosauroids had feathers.

The sheer size of Yutyrannus is worth noting though. A long held argument that Tyrannosaurids would likely lose feathers due to their size doesn't really hold up all that well I don't think.

And jesus fucking christ at the people in this thread. I saw Yutyrannus announced on a paleoblog and I knew that A) there was going to be a topic on Neogaf and B) it was going to be full of seriously stupid people. I've been seriously considering making a topic for actual dinosaur fans to discuss actual paleontology in peace.

Yagharek

The sheer size of Yutyrannus is worth noting though. A long held argument that Tyrannosaurids would likely lose feathers due to their size doesn't really hold up all that well I don't think.

And jesus fucking christ at the people in this thread. I saw Yutyrannus announced on a paleoblog and I knew that A) there was going to be a topic on Neogaf and B) it was going to be full of seriously stupid people. I've been seriously considering making a topic for actual dinosaur fans to discuss actual paleontology in peace.

Please do. Nothing is more impressive than facts. :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

Lindbergh

Dang, if feathered dinosaurs really disappoint, I wonder how you folks would take synapsids
(imagine furry lizards with weird fangs).

whatbrown

Banned
Sidenote: That kid is now occassionally on Raising Hope.
ifzvjFTMFmKCT.jpg

Just noticed this the other day.

Side side note, I was in a few of his high school classes. His name is Whit Hertford. He was very, very short and weird looking. Not a very nice kid either.

Yagharek

I'm pretty sure it's just a baby/younger T-Rex.
I mean those fluffy feathers are usually the kind we see on young baby birds now adays.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kQa11RMCeSI

This TED talk explains a lot of what I mean.

I cant watch that link (time/work/bandwidth considerations) but couldnt adult dinosaurs still had those downy type feathers?

I mean, like a vestigial organ, the embryos and juvenile birds today have those features. Just like how human embryos display features akin to distant ancestors along our evolutionary line.

Perhaps adult dinosaurs had that down, and nowadays their descendants only have the last remains of that which has since been superseded by superior/more effective feathers?

[Hoping a biologist can chime in here]

AColdDay

I remember when I was a kid, we were told "oh the dinosaurs might come in funny bright colors and patterns, maybe" and I thought to myself 'lame'. This is worse than that a hundred times fold.

I thought the idea of brightly colored dinosaurs was awesome.

I have to admit that I've spent my life imagining dinosaurs a certain way and I've grown so comfortable with that mental image that they ceased to be scary.

Those pictures of the bird-T Rex honestly scare the shit out of me. I'm not prepared for that on any level.

LOCK

Nope:

Basically, every species we find skin imprints for in this taxa had feathers. Most likely explanation is that they all had feathers.

Which means that the genetic codes for feathers is evident in this clade, and also a preserved trait, which we find in modern birds. So every member of this clade can have feathers, but we can't really assume this as a 100% fact since it really depends on the expressed phentype. However, the potential is still there.

Sorry people, dinos have feathers, and this really doesn't change anything in that most could kill us instantly if still alive today. :)

I cant watch that link (time/work/bandwidth considerations) but couldnt adult dinosaurs still had those downy type feathers?

I mean, like a vestigial organ, the embryos and juvenile birds today have those features. Just like how human embryos display features akin to distant ancestors along our evolutionary line.

Perhaps adult dinosaurs had that down, and nowadays their descendants only have the last remains of that which has since been superseded by superior/more effective feathers?

[Hoping a biologist can chime in here]

Probable

Which means that the genetic codes for feathers is evident in this clade, and also a preserved trait, which we find in modern birds. So every member of this clade can have feathers, but we can't really assume this as a 100% fact since it really depends on the expressed phentype. However, the potential is still there.

Like a lot of people on the plaoentology forums have been saying, insulation could be a key reason why they would or wouldn't have feathers. If tyrannosaurs did go as far north as Alaska, perhaps there would be regional differences among them.

Tesseract

Banned
this is one of those science things that i don't want to be true. i'll take that shit to grave. to the grave, i say!

SuomiDude

Are people acting stupid on purpose? These feathered dinosaurs are not the same as the ones without feathers, so why do people complain how these are ruining their image of non-feathered Jurassic Park dinosaurs? Sure JP had many things wrong, but your non-feathered T-Rex is still pretty much the same non-feathered T-Rex we now know.

Kinyou

notsol337

marked forever
You guys can hate feathered dinosaurs all you want, but it looks like that's what they were. Don't hang on to a 1993 movie to impede SCIENCE!

p.s. Pluto never was a planet.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I always knew the smear campaign against Dinos and Pluto would get ugly, but i never saw this coming.

KillGore

Well birds are now believed to be a sub-class of the Reptilia class, so it makes sense. My evolutionist professor used to say they were from the same class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom