• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientology contract leaks (get ready for some major nutfvckery)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Revelations said:
They have their own NAVY and CIA... :lol I mean damn, you cant get more organized than that.

They have a facility with a huge vault of documents that have been engraved various times to preserve their heritage. Scientology is full of new age nut jobs.

Uncle

BananaBomb said:
You know, I read the wikipedia page, and although I kind of have a sense of their beliefs, I don't understand what the hell about scientology hooks these people when other religions fail. Anyone have an enlightening link or two?

I'm pretty sure that the fact that Scientology is marketed as an alternative mental health program helps with this. Did you know that all the shrinks work for Xenu?

alternade

I'm sure people probably felt this same way when Christianity/Islam/etc was introduced. Just give it some time, 2,000 years give or take, and i'm sure our grandchildren will all be Class XII Thetan Free Scientologists.

alternade said:
I'm sure people probably felt this same way when Christianity/Islam/etc was introduced. Just give it some time, 2,000 years give or take, and i'm sure our grandchildren will all be Class XII Thetan Free Scientologists.
LOL! Jumbo Jets into volcanos, nukes, thetans, Xenu, e-meters, vitamins oh yeah, same thing

Tamanon

Banned
gutter_trash said:
LOL! Jumbo Jets into volcanos, nukes, thetans, Xenu, e-meters, vitamins oh yeah, same thing

While I don't believe Scientology is at the same level as more "legitimate" religions, you're comparing this against ressurection, angels, floods, magical hair, fish multiplication, and water control.

thetechkid

Tamanon said:
While I don't believe Scientology is at the same level as more "legitimate" religions, you're comparing this against ressurection, angels, floods, magical hair, fish multiplication, and water control.

Sounds like a great movie, when does it come out?

kamspy

If I tell my work I'm a Scientologist, will I get more holidays?

I always go for the religion with the most paid holidays.

Glubags

Banned
BananaBomb said:
You know, I read the wikipedia page, and although I kind of have a sense of their beliefs, I don't understand what the hell about scientology hooks these people when other religions fail. Anyone have an enlightening link or two?

You seem rather sane and otherwise mentally sound; take it as an affirmation of such that you'll never understand this garbage.

Opiate

gutter_trash said:

christianitydemotivator.jpg

Asmodai

Banned
There's no denying that Scientologists are fanatics who are probably dangerous as well.

But I can't have a double standard. Pretty much every organized religion out there has plenty of irrational fanatics who are potentially dangerous.

I couldn't care less how messed up a religion/cult's rituals and practices are, so long as they don't break the law. If they break the law, they get punished by it like anyone else.

scobur

Banned
What Scientology believe about the past doesn't matter to me. It's what they're motivated to do in the present that's the concern.

Kevtones

Jeff-DSA said:
I've lost a friend to Scientology. He doesn't talk to anybody anymore unless they're Scientologists. It really, really, sucks.

Sounds like a world-beater... I think you're better off.

DeadGzuz

Banned
Megadragon15 said:
It boggles the mind that there are people that willingly sign such a horrible one-sided contract like that. It's even more puzzling that anyone thinks that Scientology is a real religion.

LOL, so this "religion" is fake, but the others are "real"?

"your god Xenu is false, haha. My god was a burning bush who sent his son to Earth, but his son was really him. Then he tortured his son and killed him, but it's ok the son, who was really god, was reborn to rule the universe forever in heaven. did I also mention this god-man could walk on water and do other parlor tricks?"

Ceres

Banned
genjiZERO said:
I'd be shocked if this contract was enforceable.

It might not be enforceable but there's probably a good chance anyone who goes against it will get harassed nonstop. An insider will probably know the full extent of what these people will do so I imagine fear is an even better way to deter these people than an unenforceable legal document.

Asmodai said:
There's no denying that Scientologists are fanatics who are probably dangerous as well.

But I can't have a double standard. Pretty much every organized religion out there has plenty of irrational fanatics who are potentially dangerous.

I couldn't care less how messed up a religion/cult's rituals and practices are, so long as they don't break the law. If they break the law, they get punished by it like anyone else.

You know that Scientology has pretty much been breaking dozens of laws for the last 40 years straight right?

It's an insult to legitimate religions to put them in the same bucket as these crooks.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I was coming home from a break in Scotland last Saturday and they had a stand up at the Callander highland games. Big yellow tent full of yellow shirted "volunteer ministers" giving people touch-assists! Of course, no mentioning of Scientology as a church anywhere, says alot about how much they keep from potential marks like the contracts. Didn't have the guts to go over and have a goold old troll, if I saw this earlier it might have given me a little ammunition about how much financial security is required.

50+ posts and no one has flat out said "lol religion" good for you GAF. there is a difference between cults and religions.

I'm Baptist and I haven't given money to the church in years and don't get offended when somebody mocks christianity, yet according to my belief I'm still going to heaven.

Scientology forces you to give money and if someone mocks the cult like on southpark, the cult members speak out and quit, then later mysteriously die.

Asmodai said:

Totally agree. No cult or religion should be above the law. Nor should any cult or religion use their teachings to make something illegal. i.e. drawing a picture of Muhammad. If muslims make it against their religion to draw muhammad thats fine, but if I do it as a non-muslim I don't want to get punished.

LiveFromKyoto said:
You know that Scientology has pretty much been breaking dozens of laws for the last 40 years straight right?

So have other religions. It isn't like Scientology has a monopoly here. Not to mention you're using a fallacy of division. Just because it may be true of the top doesn't mean that all of Scientology breaks laws.

Kool Aid

Banned
DeadGzuz said:
LOL, so this "religion" is fake, but the others are "real"?

"your god Xenu is false, haha. My god was a burning bush who sent his son to Earth, but his son was really him. Then he tortured his son and killed him, but it's ok the son, who was really god, was reborn to rule the universe forever in heaven. did I also mention this god-man could walk on water and do other parlor tricks?"

Not that I disagree that his wording may have been clumsy, but there's a distinction to be made between a real religion and a religion who's claims are real. The claims that both Christianity and Scientology make may be equally false, but there are legitimate reasons to put Scientology into a different category than Christianity, Judaism, etc.

LiveFromKyoto said:

It's an insult to legitimate religions to put them in the same bucket as these crooks.

quite right.

scobur

Banned
Kool Aid said:
Not that I disagree that his wording may have been clumsy, but there's a distinction to be made between a real religion and a religion who's claims are real. The claims that both Christianity and Scientology make may be equally false, but there are legitimate reasons to put Scientology into a different category than Christianity, Judaism, etc.
What would you classify Mormonism as?

vandalvideo said:
So have other religions. It isn't like Scientology has a monopoly here. Not to mention you're using a fallacy of division. Just because it may be true of the top doesn't mean that all of Scientology breaks laws.

You're comparing genuinely spiritual people who devote their lives to helping the sick and poor to an organization which exists to exploit is own members for profit, and extorts and ruins the lives of anybody who questions them as a matter of policy.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
perfectchaos007 said:
Scientology forces you to give money and if someone mocks the cult like on southpark, the cult members speak out and quit, then later mysteriously die.

Yeah, that was a sudden case for sure, I'm not even sure that I fully believe it was all his choice. Wasn't he in pretty bad shape at the time? Could have been pressure involved or I'm just being naive.

vandalvideo said:

I think the bottom line for me is, while other religions have their dark streak, there is an idealology there. There are followers there that stand up and 'yeah what they did there wasn't right, this is what our faith is really about" which is great. You can look at Christianity and Islam and see some darkness there, but also some redemption from that.

Scientology, in its current form, is thorougly corrupt. The day that belief system has its reformation and people depart from the corruption is the day I will acknowledge it as a legitmate religion, even if it does sound like something straight out of a 50's sci fi movie.

Mahadev

Opiate said:
http://76.177.238.60/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/christianitydemotivator.jpg

:lol I just realized that if people hadn't been brainwashed with religion as young as they usually do they'd have the same opinion of christianity as they have of scientology.

Asmodai

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:

If Scientologists aren't being punished for their alleged crimes, that is the fault of the justice system. Same as if any other religious or non-religious person or organization was not being punished for its crimes.

The Catholic church,for example, has been killing and torturing people for thousands of years. And yet, somehow I feel they would qualify as one of your "legitimate" religions who should not be "insulted" by comparing them to Scientology, right? What a joke. They are in the same bucket as Scientologists because there are religious people of every possible religion who are just as irrational, just as criminal, and just as dangerous as Scientologists are.

My point stands. I don't care WHAT someone's religion believes in. I don't care if it believes in the giant spaghetti monster. I don't care if it's been around 5000 years or 15 minutes. I don't care if there are 3 followers or a billion.

Follow the rule of law like everyone else. Noone is above it, no matter what religious beliefs they may hold.

Jarate

Banned
while I don't mind the belief aspects of scientology, I do mind the shit they do. They could honestly be classified as terrorists for a lot of the shit they've done.

Asmodai

Banned
Jarate said:
while I don't mind the belief aspects of scientology, I do mind the shit they do. They could honestly be classified as terrorists for a lot of the shit they've done.

Like what, out of curiosity?

Remember, terrorism is violence directed toward a political end.

And of course, many, many religions throughout history were terrorists under that definition. As well as genocidal.

Fanatics of organized religion have committed innumerable crimes throughout human history. Why is Scientology any different? Sure, their members are probably more fanatical on average than the members of say the Catholic Church.

But we aren't here to stereotype. All that matters is that if they break the law, they pay the price the same way as anyone else would.

Jarate

Banned
Asmodai said:
Like what, out of curiosity?

Remember, terrorism is violence directed toward a political end.

And of course, many, many religions throughout history were terrorists under that definition. As well as genocidal.

Fanatics of organized religion have committed innumerable crimes throughout human history. Why is Scientology any different? Sure, their members are probably more fanatical on average than the members of say the Catholic Church.

But we aren't here to stereotype. All that matters is that if they break the law, they pay the price the same way as anyone else would.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

this

LiveFromKyoto said:
You're comparing genuinely spiritual people who devote their lives to helping the sick and poor to an organization which exists to exploit is own members for profit, and extorts and ruins the lives of anybody who questions them as a matter of policy.

I would love to see evidence, if you had it, that the majority of people in charge of Scientology, and not just a relative minority of the upper echelon, actually engage in such frivelous attempts to extort the people that are their parishioners.

vulva

BananaBomb said:
A lot of what Scientology teaches can be applied and practical. The basics of it (E-meter auditings and personality tests) can help someone out with their own discovery. The thing is that Scientology will perform these tests in a fashion that makes the person feel completely lost and alone without the CoS behind them to help them. That's why there's groups out there that use very similar ideals as the CoS reincorporating Hubbard Tech for free and with much less hate speech, like the Freezoners.

Azih

Yeah the Freezoners are comparable to normal religious people whereas the Scientologists are the crazy cultish nutjobs. It's just that whereas the crazies are the fringe for most religions and the normals are the mainstream, it's flipped for Scientology.

ToxicAdam

Azih said:
Yeah the Freezoners are comparable to normal religious people whereas the Scientologists are the crazy cultish nutjobs. It's just that whereas the crazies are the fringe for most religions and the normals are the mainstream, it's flipped for Scientology.

Do you have any statistics to back that up? Why can't there be thousands of Scientologists that just read Dianetics and attend a few seminars per year? Is it because you read the exposes that accentuate all the kooks of the religion and base your opinions on that?

Kipz

massive bear, tiny salmon
There are over 100 religions saying they're the one true religion. By using 1st grade logic I come to the conclusion that at least 99 are false. If 99 false religions can be taken as seriously as the truth then I don't see any reason scientology can't be part of the 99. Scientology is just as real as any other religion, it's either all or none. Take your pick.

Chichikov

Kipz said:
There are over 100 religions saying they're the one true religion. By using 1st grade logic I come to the conclusion that at least 99 are false. If 99 false religions can be taken as seriously as the truth then I don't see any reason scientology can't be part of the 99. Scientology is just as real as any other religion, it's either all or none. Take your pick.
You are right, you are using 1st grade logic.

Seriously, the level of misunderstanding of religion on GAF is just baffling.

I will not get into that whole argument again, but there's a huge difference between "real" religion and Scientology.
All mainstream religions have moral basis, even if you ignore the mythology (and seriously, the mythology is a very small part of the big 3 monotheistic religions) they still have merit, in fact, especially if you ignore the mythology (and most people who peruse those religion do ignore it to an extent).
Scientology doesn't, it's about making money.

legend166

Kipz said:

*bangs head on desk*

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chichikov said:
You are right, you are using 1st grade logic.

Seriously, the level of misunderstanding of religion on GAF is just baffling.

I will not get into that whole argument again, but there's a huge difference between "real" religion and Scientology.
All mainstream religions have moral basis, even if you ignore the mythology (and seriously, the mythology is a very small part of the big 3 monotheistic religions) they still have merit, in fact, especially if you ignore the mythology (and most people who peruse those religion do ignore it to an extent).
Scientology doesn't, it's about making money.

Okay, I'm going to break Godwin's law, but whatever. Isn't that a bit like saying Hitler had great ideas except for the whole antisemitism thing?

When you have a dude who tells people that condoms are the work of the devil because it violates some mythology in a book, that's not just being quaint - that's fucking dangerous.

Kreed

Funky Papa said:
"Bu-bu-but it's like any other religion!"

polyh3dron said:
bu bu but its just like christianity, stop persecuting them by revealing their sacred religious practices

You guys tried your best, but we knew the "normal religion" comparisons would happen sooner or later.

vandalvideo said:
I would love to see evidence, if you had it, that the majority of people in charge of Scientology, and not just a relative minority of the upper echelon, actually engage in such frivelous attempts to extort the people that are their parishioners.

You know what? No. If you're seriously that head-in-the-sand about this, go and do some research yourself, it'll do you some good. Scientology has been involved in dozens upon dozens of far-reaching immoral practices over the years that have been reported in just about every mainstream news outlet and go way beyond a couple of people, even if the rot starts at the top - they're practically a matter of scripture. If you don't know about that then frankly the onus is on you to go and find it out.

Azih

ToxicAdam said:
Do you have any statistics to back that up? Why can't there be thousands of Scientologists that just read Dianetics and attend a few seminars per year? Is it because you read the exposes that accentuate all the kooks of the religion and base your opinions on that?
It's more because the Church of Scientology which is an organization has legally locked down the religion of Scientology to the extent that anyone who wishes to practice Scientology outside of the control of the CoS can't even use the term Scientology. Hence the FreeZoners can't call themselves Scientologists.

Chichikov

firehawk12 said:
Okay, I'm going to break Godwin's law, but whatever. Isn't that a bit like saying Hitler had great ideas except for the whole antisemitism thing?

When you have a dude who tells people that condoms are the work of the devil because it violates some mythology in a book, that's not just being quaint - that's fucking dangerous.
You broke Godwin's for that?

But let me answer this -
If you think that there is a religion out there that its morality is mostly evil then fuck it, it should die, like Scientology.
But attack its morality, not its mythology.
The essence of the big 3 is not the mythology, it's the morality.

You want examples? I got examples:

• Of the 10 commandments, only 3 (and a half) deal with God or any supernatural element.
  • Hillel the Elder said - "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."
  • The Good Samaritan.

And I can go on forever.

Sure, it's funnier to say "LOL zombie Jesus" but it really misses the point.

vulva

ToxicAdam said:
the problem is that there are tons of scientologists who are just that, but also give money to the organization. Casual believers, but they're financing the greater atrocities. Passive evil is still evil.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You think being condemned to burn in hell because you "worship false idols" isn't a problem? That's inherently linked to the morality of the religion - believe in me and only me or die. And then there's all the bullshit that's in Leviticus that people conveniently ignore.

Well, except for Jehovah's Witnesses, where giving a girl blood transfusions is evil - so it's better to let her die "pure" than being "corrupted".

The funny thing is, I don't really care what people believe and how they believe. But to say that the dogma and the mythology isn't inherently tied with the "morality" of a religion is almost ridiculous.

I mean, the very fact that Genesis has a "retcon" - where Lilith, Adam's "equal", is removed because women should be inferior to men - that in itself is a "moral" judgment invoked by the men who "transcribed God's word" in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom