• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCII: Heart of the Swarm screens [Previews/Vids, Development Fully Started This Year]

cubicle47b said:
Since I've mostly played Zerg since beta with a few weekends off-racing go ahead and tell me about your low moments as Protoss. What kind of losing streak did you have, what kind of games were they, what mistake(s) lead to your loss, etc? I don't think I've ever raged in game and I own my losses (always feel it was my fault) but I've had moments where I questioned whether I should play the game again (when I was playing Zerg) that I've never had as other races so I'd like to hear that from a Protoss.

When asked about your league you could be honest and say what league you were in 3 months ago when you were playing and not bring up your potential league/brother in every post for the next 2 pages while simultaneously telling people they weren't allowed to comment on anything. It made you a douche-bag from the beginning.
I'm not talking about myself, I'm talking about in general, ~November professional Protosses were doing shit everywhere, then they became 'overpowered', or did you not play back then?

When I was asked what league was in I did say I was 3 months ago, but obviously what I would likely be if I had been active recently is important, because we were talking about the broad things (things you don't forget) rather than small intricacies (things which you do forget). I only tell people they aren't allowed to comment on balance, because they shouldn't, and it just makes you come across as a huge dick.

Q8D3vil

cubicle47b said:
Since I've mostly played Zerg since beta with a few weekends off-racing go ahead and tell me about your low moments as Protoss. What kind of losing streak did you have, what kind of games were they, what mistake(s) lead to your loss, etc? I don't think I've ever raged in game and I own my losses (always feel it was my fault) but I've had moments where I questioned whether I should play the game again (when I was playing Zerg) that I've never had as other races so I'd like to hear that from a Protoss.

When asked about your league you could be honest and say what league you were in 3 months ago when you were playing and not bring up your potential league/brother in every post for the next 2 pages while simultaneously telling people they weren't allowed to comment on anything. It made you a douche-bag from the beginning.
i had this thought like 1 week ago, it was a tvp and i was doing 2 rax expand. the protoss walked all over me while without losing half of his army (while taking his expo), i was crushed mentally. because my my macro wasn't bad but toss units tier 1 are pretty good u don't have stim. ( plus the fact that producing from 3 gate is almost equivalent to producing from 4-5 rax without add ons).

now i all in's in all my tvp. i feel pretty good about it because its not frustrating like when i try to play a macro game.

ultron87

The Lamonster said:
Can't we keep the league discussion in the proper thread? This thread was supposed to be about the upcoming expansion new details.

But they're having such a valuable debate. You can tell because almost every post from both sides ends with name calling.

The Lamonster said:
Can't we keep the league discussion in the proper thread? This thread was supposed to be about the upcoming expansion new details.
Theres unfortunately not a whole lot to talk about. I mean it's WoL Zerg edition.

darkpaladinmfc said:
I'm not talking about myself, I'm talking about in general, ~November professional Protosses were doing shit everywhere, then they became 'overpowered', or did you not play back then?

I didn't play back in November. I was watching the GSL during that time but didn't have time to play (I watch games while programming).

I really don't care about how the pros are doing, though. I've never felt demoralized because I watched another player lose. I'm talking about personal losing streaks that break your will to play the game and what happened to get you there mentally.

cubicle47b said:
I didn't play back in November. I was watching the GSL during that time but didn't have time to play (I watch games while programming).

I really don't care about how the pros are doing, though. I've never felt demoralized because I watched another player lose. I'm talking about personal losing streaks that break your will to play the game.
Well back in November Protoss was doing just as bad as Zerg was a few months ago, and then without any balance changes Protoss suddenly started doing well -- just like Zerg is now. It goes to show that balance is fickle and there is no point in obsessing about it.

My own losing streaks are irrelevant as they have nothing to do with balance, in fact the only thing that has annoyed me was PvP, which made me play Terran for a bit because PvP was so common and so boring to play.

Dahbomb

I am going to be getting this game day 1 just like I got WoL day 1, just like I will get Diablo 3 day 1 (along with all it's expansions) and just like I will get Legacy of the Void day 1.

Haters gonna hate but Starcraft 2 is one of the best games of this generation, easily.

Dahbomb said:
I am going to be getting this game day 1 just like I got WoL day 1, just like I will get Diablo 3 day 1 (along with all it's expansions) and just like I will get Legacy of the Void day 1.

Haters gonna hate but Starcraft 2 is one of the best games of this generation, easily.
Same. And I couldn't care less about the plot. I come for the ace gameplay, single and multiplayer.

Deadman

What do we think for release dates? Im thinking march 2012. They said they wanted a 3-5 month beta period, so even if they started very soon thats already the rest of this year gone. Add in the blizz dev time factor and its going to be much later than that.

Zzoram

I hate on WoL's story/dialogue but I loved the actual missions and multiplayer. Of course I'm going to get HotS day 1. Blizzard makes amazing games that always become my favorite games.

darkpaladinmfc said:
My own losing streaks are irrelevant as they have nothing to do with balance, in fact the only thing that has annoyed me was PvP, which made me play Terran for a bit because PvP was so common and so boring to play.

You're completely missing the point, then, because I'm not talking about balance. Let me approach it from this angle. How does it feel to lose to cloaked banshees early in the game because you don't have a robo or forge out and you lose your entire economy? Now how does it feel to lose a longer macro game? Obviously, losing always sucks, but a banshee destroying your mineral line that you can't attack also gives you this feeling of helplessness which I find much more demoralizing.

When I play Terran this feeling is pretty rare. I have a wall-off and anti-air at a very early point in the game. Not only are the possibilities of aggression against me reduced but people almost always leave my base alone aside from pokes to see what I'm doing until mid-late game. In comparison, 2 rax w/bunker, 2 port banshees, mass hellions, some sort of bio push, etc. is expected from Terran and ZvZ is mass ling, ling/bling aggression, or maybe a roach/ling push until the game stabilizes a bit. Protoss haven't been all that aggressive lately since they think they can out-macro you and beat you that way but of course cannon-rushes still happen and they used to be able to 2 pylon block your natural. The game may have been balanced overall (scouting decides whether most of these things succeed or fail) but the volatility of the early game made for some absolutely nasty losing streaks that the other races were much less likely to face and that's where (I think) a lot of the whining comes from.

Some does come from watching pros, of course, and we do have Idra to lead the way in whining but I think most comments like the one that started this discussion have its roots in personal experience.

cubicle47b said:
You're completely missing the point, then, because I'm not talking about balance. Let me approach it from this angle. How does it feel to lose to cloaked banshees early in the game because you don't have a robo or forge out and you lose your entire economy? Now how does it feel to lose a longer macro game? Obviously, losing always sucks, but a banshee destroying your mineral line that you can't attack also gives you this feeling of helplessness which I find much more demoralizing.

When I play Terran this feeling is pretty rare. I have a wall-off and anti-air at a very early point in the game. Not only are the possibilities of aggression against me reduced but people almost always leave my base alone aside from pokes to see what I'm doing until mid-late game. In comparison, 2 rax w/bunker, 2 port banshees, mass hellions, some sort of bio push, etc. is expected from Terran and ZvZ is mass ling, ling/bling aggression, or maybe a roach/ling push until the game stabilizes a bit. Protoss haven't been all that aggressive lately since they think they can out-macro you and beat you that way but of course cannon-rushes still happen and they used to be able to 2 pylon block your natural. The game may have been balanced overall but the volatility of the early game made for some absolutely nasty losing streaks that the other races were much less likely to face and that's where (I think) a lot of the whining comes from.

Some does come from watching pros, of course, and we do have Idra to lead the way in whining but I think most comments like the one that started this discussion have its roots in personal experience.
That's no excuse at all to whine, the same can be said for every race, hell at the top of this page some guy is complaining about TvP and says he just all-ins all the time. By the way, you could have acted like this instead of the first place instead of telling me to 'fuck off'.

Tacitus_

Metal Gear?! said:

That website is aptly named.

Although the story wends through distractions and changes direction awkwardly, the ultimate goal of Starcraft 2: Wings of Liberty is to redomesticate Sarah Kerrigan — to reassemble an ancient patriarchial artifact, which looks like this and floats, erect, when powered up:

And subdue her, take away her power, and leave her helpless, naked and wanting to love you and be your girlfriend again.

If you’d like, go ahead and watch this clip of the final mission of the game — note how Kerrigan actually emerges from a vagina dentata, how she is impressed and sounds sexually excited by the prospect of this artifact, and how the artifact periodically erupts in a flash of energy that destroys all nearby enemies, but then needs to rest for a little while before it can stand up and erupt again.

:lol

darkpaladinmfc said:
That's no excuse at all to whine, the same can be said for every race, hell at the top of this page some guy is complaining about TvP and says he just all-ins all the time. By the way, you could have acted like this instead of the first place instead of telling me to 'fuck off'.

Nah, you still deserve the 'fuck off'.

raphier

Banned
I noticed that this new Blizzard is careful not to make the player play role of a villain.they carefully set up that when you fight against all three races, you aren't doing what you'd call "morally wrong" thing.

I think that's major flaw with SC2.

I hope when it comes to Hearts of the Swarm, Kerrigan'a fresh look doesn't play role in making us look like heroes. Kerrigan should regain power for herself alone and the Swarm, not for what is right and wrong. Not for Raynor's Raiders. Not for white-knight crap.

I want to piss of a major Protoss clan, not some run-amok-templars nobody gives a shit about, for instance.

As long as she doesn't fight a war to please Raynor or Zeratul, everything is fine around the heaven. I want her to kill The Dark Ones and seize their power and prepare for ultimate war towards Legacy of the Void.
But knowing Blizzard, they'll pussy out. Do we really need to feel "heroic". Duh :p

Last time I checked, telling people to fuck off and generally being a dick was banable here. Just sayin', in case anybody wants to edit their posts or lighten their tone.

Sober

raphier said:
I noticed that this new Blizzard is careful not to make the player play role of a villain.they carefully set up that when you fight against all three races, you aren't doing what you'd call "morally wrong" thing.

I think that's major flaw with SC2.

I hope when it comes to Hearts of the Swarm, Kerrigan'a fresh look doesn't play role in making us look like heroes. Kerrigan should regain power for herself alone and the Swarm, not for what is right and wrong. Not for Raynor's Raiders. Not for white-knight crap.

I want to piss of a major Protoss clan, not some run-amok-templars nobody gives a shit about, for instance.
Pretty sure Blizzard wanted to write a story about the new Lich King
Fordragon
post-WotLK but decided since Heart of the Swarm was coming out, they should just replace Scourge with Zerg instead.

ultron87

Honestly I'll just be impressed if they somehow manage to not make the story "all three races must band together to fight this ancient returning evil".

But that seems unlikely at this point.

darkpaladinmfc said:
Ask him what he thinks about your posts, he'll laugh at you.

He said I have a mediocre understanding of psychology but that I was probably right and that he could beat your brother up in a fight.

Tacitus_ said:
That website is aptly named.
It's aptly named because.... that's what they're doing. And they know it. It's the point of the website. That's why it is there. That's why it exists on the internet.

Zzoram

Starcraft + Broodwar was better because when you played Terran and Protoss you were a hero, and when you played Zerg, you were the villain. When you are the hero, you win. When you are the villain in the end, you win, so the bad guys win.

Starcraft II is about playing the hero, and everyone else being the bad guy. Safe, but a definite downgrade.

Lime

lol @ this part in the released videos.

"I remember doing terrible things. I remember blood and darkness."
Immediately followed by
"I'll kill all of you before I let that happen"

Hilarious. I wonder how much Blizzard's writing staff gets payed. Clearly anything above minimum wage is too much.

EDIT: Holy shit. "You were mighty. You made us strong, and smart."

Seriously, how can anyone from the developer team not object to this drivel? Surely somebody out of the hundreds of employees would immediately recognize the atrocious writing and point it out/correct it.

zlatko

Banned
cubicle47b said:

When I play Terran this feeling is pretty rare. I have a wall-off and anti-air at a very early point in the game. Not only are the possibilities of aggression against me reduced but people almost always leave my base alone aside from pokes to see what I'm doing until mid-late game. In comparison, 2 rax w/bunker, 2 port banshees, mass hellions, some sort of bio push, etc. is expected from Terran and ZvZ is mass ling, ling/bling aggression, or maybe a roach/ling push until the game stabilizes a bit. Protoss haven't been all that aggressive lately since they think they can out-macro you and beat you that way but of course cannon-rushes still happen and they used to be able to 2 pylon block your natural. The game may have been balanced overall (scouting decides whether most of these things succeed or fail) but the volatility of the early game made for some absolutely nasty losing streaks that the other races were much less likely to face and that's where (I think) a lot of the whining comes from.

I agree with most of this.

Lime

@ zlatko

Word of advice: That's bannable and a detriment to the discussion. You might want to edit that.

zlatko

Banned
Lime said:
@ zlatko

Word of advice: That's bannable and a detriment to the discussion. You might want to edit that.

^^; Whoopsies.

Thanks for the heads up. I edited my post to better reflect my thoughts without a picture.

Boken

Banned
The writing is cheesy, Kerrigan feels remorse and god how much do I HATE zero suit Kerrigan design.

WTF? I wish they would retcon WoL.
"Raynor was under a powerful hallucination created by Kerrigan in order to pacify him"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I'm glad I only watch SC2 casually.

Why is it that Protoss seems to have the least variation early game? Is it a lack of options or just how they are suppose to work?

HK-47 said:
I'm glad I only watch SC2 casually.

Why is it that Protoss seems to have the least variation early game? Is it a lack of options or just how they are suppose to work?
It's just how the game is designed, even later in the game Gateway armies normally form the core of Protoss armies, where with Terran they can opt to go for a mech based army with little or no Barracks units, and Zerg can exclude Zerglings. Zealot Sentry Stalker also happen to have a really good synergy with each other.

I'd say protoss have more variation than zerg early game, except maybe comparing zvz and pvp but even then protoss have been mixing it up alot more lately from what I've watched. Terran's definately have the most early game variety though.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Zzoram said:
Starcraft + Broodwar was better because when you played Terran and Protoss you were a hero
like that time you planted psi emiters to lure the zerg to uninfested planets.
and that time you fought the protoss because they were trying to fight the zerg in a ground war to save terran lives [terrans you dont like though].
and that time you started a civil war because the bad intel your buddy gave out got fenix killed and the government wanted to talk aboot that.
and that time you were the ued.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
staticneuron said:
Wow, talk about jumping to conclusions. Just because a story thread isn't mentioned in the first, doesn't mean it is a retcon. A retcon only revolves around "known" facts/plot points. bringing up a subject that was not discussed before is not a retcon.

That article does make some good points though. And the breakdown of the opening of SC1 setting up the various warring factions shows a level of storytelling prowess that SC2 doesnt just lack, but wholeheartly doesnt give a shit about having.

D

Deleted member 74300

Unconfirmed Member
Pandaman said:
like that time you planted psi emiters to lure the zerg to uninfested planets.
and that time you fought the protoss because they were trying to fight the zerg in a ground war to save terran lives [terrans you dont like though].
and that time you started a civil war because the bad intel your buddy gave out got fenix killed and the government wanted to talk aboot that.
and that time you were the ued.

Good times.

Top Bottom