• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Pilgrim online patch coming via DLC [delayed over 18 months, delayed again]

IrishNinja

this gen's re-releases taught me how short the shelf life is of classic beat-em-ups, i only play TMNT or simpons or whatever when friends are around/online, which aint often for me.

that said...wallace and online? this is gonna be hard to pass on.

I hope Wallace's special attacks are stunning people by removing his pants, and throwing martinis in their faces. Also bacon.

Dipping sauce is acceptable too.

Hmm...dammit.
I hated the game and every attempt I made to not hate it blew up in my face thanks to hard-freezes.

Playable Wallace though....hmm....

dammit.

Toppot

hqjzq.gif

How did I miss this???!

Really, really late with adding online. Hope there is random match making or I'm unlikely to have anyone to play with xD

Will be great going through the game again, dat music *Bites lip*

Totally needs a Vita version.

Suppose I'll have to update my faq now.

Toppot

Can't you still use Knives Chau as a striker if someone else is playing as her?
Yes you can. She wasn't originally intended as a character which is why you have the discrepancy. Knives is a reskin of Kim and not fully designed by Paul Robertson like the other characters, so Wallace will probably be a reskin of Stills or Scott. They do have there own striker and tech attacks though (Which is basically the only difference between characters, bar starting stats and they way they look)

Roto13

Never played this. How good is it in comparison to something like River City Ransom?

If River City Ransom is the game you automatically go to when comparing retro beat-em-ups, you should probably play Scott Pilgrim because it's pretty much based on that game. :p

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I just realized this was suppose to come out yesterday (?? weird date) and it's not out, and the DLC is not on Major Nelson's schedule anymore.

Never played this. How good is it in comparison to something like River City Ransom?

If River City Ransom is the game you automatically go to when comparing retro beat-em-ups, you should probably play Scott Pilgrim because it's pretty much based on that game. :p

It's based on it, sort of. In RCR enemies take about 3-4 hits, less from weapons. Blocking is minimal.

In Scott Pilgrim, the balance is all fucked up and enemies become punch sponges & block whores. An enemy can block attacks coming from both directions simultaneously. That game needed to let enemies die (and fall to the ground) during a juggle, as well as either make the enemies block WAY less, or have some sort of guard break on them.

SP looks great but plays adequately. RCR is still not matched by Scott Pilgrim in terms of how fluid and good the combat feels.

Same exact thing but shinier.

Not the same thing. Barely plays anything like RCR, except from choices like book stores.

River City Ransom heavily inspired the Scott Pilgrim books in the first place...and the game is very faithful to the books in many ways...so if you like RCR you'll probably jive with this game.

Roto13

I just realized this was suppose to come out yesterday (?? weird date) and it's not out, and the DLC is not on Major Nelson's schedule anymore.

Harrumph. And we still haven't heard anything about the PSN version beyond that one tweet.

kassatsu

Banned
Harrumph. And we still haven't heard anything about the PSN version beyond that one tweet.

Ubisoft PR told me it is coming to PSN for sure and that they will have more information closer to release.

Pretty sure that Major Nelson date was a mix-up.

It's based on it, sort of. In RCR enemies take about 3-4 hits, less from weapons. Blocking is minimal.

In Scott Pilgrim, the balance is all fucked up and enemies become punch sponges & block whores. An enemy can block attacks coming from both directions simultaneously. That game needed to let enemies die (and fall to the ground) during a juggle, as well as either make the enemies block WAY less, or have some sort of guard break on them.

SP looks great but plays adequately. RCR is still not matched by Scott Pilgrim in terms of how fluid and good the combat feels.

Not the same thing. Barely plays anything like RCR, except from choices like book stores.
i would have to disagree. the blocking system in this game is very good, for both the player and the enemy. for the player, straight up blocking is pretty useful especially against certain enemies, but dodging and parrying are also very useful. to get around enemy blocking you have grapples, and just in general you have a large variety of attacks to mix up between. you can't just stand there mashing jabjabjab and expect the enemy to just stop blocking them for you (well you still can, but it'll be much slower that way).

scott pilgrim feels fairly slow, but theres a lot of variety and its pretty technical. they are different games, and i love them both for different reasons despite scott pilgrim trying to be similar. my only real gripe with the game is that certain weapons are overpowered.

CO_Andy

Fun game, but buggy as hell.

There are some trophies you can't get in multi due to some bugs, but that's the least of its problems.

i would have to disagree. the blocking system in this game is very good, for both the player and the enemy. for the player, straight up blocking is pretty useful especially against certain enemies, but dodging and parrying are also very useful. to get around enemy blocking you have grapples, and just in general you have a large variety of attacks to mix up between. you can't just stand there mashing jabjabjab and expect the enemy to just stop blocking them for you (well you still can, but it'll be much slower that way).

scott pilgrim feels fairly slow, but theres a lot of variety and its pretty technical. they are different games, and i love them both for different reasons despite scott pilgrim trying to be similar. my only real gripe with the game is that certain weapons are overpowered.

Well, grappling is news to me. I played through several levels and never knew I could grab anyone, except when they were on the ground already.

But that doesn't change the fact that enemies should NOT block so much and shouldn't be able to block attacks from both sides. That's just bad design, in a 4 player game.

Also, it's funny you say certain weapons are overpowered, because in the beginning weapons are completely underpowered. A bat takes 1 more HP than a punch.

goldenpp72

Well, grappling is news to me. I played through several levels and never knew I could grab anyone, except when they were on the ground already.

But that doesn't change the fact that enemies should NOT block so much and shouldn't be able to block attacks from both sides. That's just bad design, in a 4 player game.

Also, it's funny you say certain weapons are overpowered, because in the beginning weapons are completely underpowered. A bat takes 1 more HP than a punch.

As you raise your stats the enemies die pretty fast, especially when you know how to play. Seems like complaining just to complain, I actually found scott pilgrim to probably be the best beat em up on the system. I also have no care for the source material (never read the books, movie was alright)

Kuroyume

Banned
I loved the game despite not being familiar with Scott Pilgrim. I'll get it when the DLC goes on sale. Seems kind of steep for a patch and a character or two.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Delayed till Autumn

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...umn?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World's upcoming DLC that allows for online multiplayer and a playable version of Scott's roommate Wallace Wells has been pushed back to autumn, despite the parent game coming out over two years ago.

Originally scheduled for an XBLA release yesterday, the add-on never showed up. When pressed for comment, publisher Ubisoft replied, "The original release date was communicated incorrectly. We'll be releasing the DLC in the fall. More information to come as we get closer to launch."

Alpha_eX

This shouldn't have taken a year. I stopped playing because the game kept crashing and even the first enemies took a lot of effort to beat.

Will get back into this online, total game changer!

Finally. Somebody making some sense and not being dazzled by the game's graphics, music or brand fanaticism.

You forgot to mention the pixel perfection precision needed on the z-axis. Ugh.

Honestly, a few small tweaks and this game would be awesome. I don't hate it, but it's busted.

As it stands, it's a fumbling game in its core mechanics but surrounded by awesome everything else (except the brand, blech).

Delayed till Autumn

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...umn?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World's upcoming DLC that allows for online multiplayer and a playable version of Scott's roommate Wallace Wells has been pushed back to autumn, despite the parent game coming out over two years ago.

Originally scheduled for an XBLA release yesterday, the add-on never showed up. When pressed for comment, publisher Ubisoft replied, "The original release date was communicated incorrectly. We'll be releasing the DLC in the fall. More information to come as we get closer to launch."
So what's happening in the fall? Volume 2 in Color? Seems like a missed opportunity; must've found some sort of show-stopping bug.

Am I the only one who had an issue with hit detection in this game?

I played the demo and the hits just seemed off; even by old school beatem up standards.

Not as smooth as Castle Crashers or even Streets of Rage.

To recap: Ubisoft announced in August that they’d be updating or adding content to the Scott Pilgrim game, namely an online play mode and “Wallace Pack” (whatever that is — most fans assume it means a playable Wallace character).

There is no update. I haven’t heard anything in months. I am not in touch with anyone at Ubisoft. I have no date or firm information. None of the development team nor myself have been contacted to develop new content. So I know as much as you do.

Oh Ubisoft...

Thread worthy IMO.

No one from the development team was contacted to even make this DLC? I...what.

Did Ubisoft think it would magically appear?

Edit - Agreed on it being thread worthy. I'm kind of speechless.

Good then, to be honest, it seems like O'Malley gets annoyed by questions about the game, like this question about ports of the game

http://radiomaru.tumblr.com/post/29148618283/bryan-lee-omalley-q-a-for-august-10-2012

(who would we contact to ask/request exactly?)

But I really love when he goes into detail about the game itself (he wrote the games teleplay, cutscenes, etc) like these parts.

http://radiomaru.tumblr.com/post/29061564045/roxannerichter

http://radiomaru.tumblr.com/post/29345626146/personasama-envy-adams-lynette-guycott-from

Looking at the details makes me think of Inafunes notes and art from Udon's Megaman Complete Works series. I wrote O'Malley on perhaps making an art book detailing the creation of the game similar to the Megaman books; never got a response....

Top Bottom