• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scream Queens |OT|

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
9/8c, Tuesday on Fox!

For those who don't know, it's an anthology styled horror-comedy show - the first season being a "sorority slasher" which is perfectly 80s for me.

My wife gets really scared at horror movies so we don't watch many outside of Halloween season. This seems like something we both may enjoy.

43137_832x1233.jpg

Review excerpts:

Starring Jamie Lee Curtis and Emma Roberts, Scream Queens might have many victims, but everyone watching is a winner.

If crazed killings and macabre laughs aren’t your thing, you may want to avoid the show. So far, though, Scream Queens is outlandishly fun.

A delicious and outlandish treat. It's a hilarious mix of "Mean Girls" and "Scream."

From the acting to the costuming to the writing, everything about this concept and execution works.

Oh.

It... literally is a mash-up of Glee and American Horror Story?

Is it gonna be shitty like both of those?

The pilot is fucking amazing. It's not true horror, it's more a satire on how "pop culture" horror has become. Like, everything is plastic and bubbly. There's an amazingly hilarious (but cheesy as fuck so be prepped) death scene that takes the basic concept of the original Scream kill and gives it a social media twist.

But even without knowing it is a Ryan Murphy show, it still feels like the energy can't keep up.

Yes, i'm looking forward to it. Not sure if it will be any good. Trailer felt very weird to me, and the only review on Metacritic is mixed. Bul we'll see.
You should watch Scream: The TV Series. It's good and fun.

I'm very excited for this. Not sure if it will be good, but I really want it to be!

I'm betting it fizzles out at episode 13 just like Glee. The entire thing is written like it's one big movie (and to be fair, unless something has changed, it IS an anthology series).

DominoKid

so it's just a network AHS? that's disappointing. i thought they were going to stick with this story instead of changing every season.

mantidor

I've come to accept the fact that Ryan Murphy peaked with Popular.

Even then I'm a masochist, I will give it a try and hate every minute of it as it always happens.

xaosslug

Oh.

It... literally is a mash-up of Glee and American Horror Story?

Is it gonna be shitty like both of those?

it's Ryan Murphy, so it will probably be semi-good about a third of the way through and then fall apart/devolve, or be a steaming hot-ass, embarrassing mess from the start.

but of course there will be "fierce" moments here and there. >.>

NXXXskp.gif

So is every season a slasher but if a different type/era or will it be different horror genres. Cause scream queen is largely a slasher movie thang.

Talking about Nip/Tuck. I want to watch it, but i hear it's terrible after season 3. Is it bad-bad?

It goes off the rails to a degree that is almost impossible to overstate. I could describe some of the later season plots to you and you'd think I was joking, but I wouldn't be.

I got a kick out of it, because I could just watch completely dumbfounded at what was going on.

If this is made by the Nip/Tuck team then my hype is kinda deflating. The show had real promise in it's first couple of seasons but turned into utter garbage quickly. The Carver plot might have the stupidest end in all of TV.

maxcriden

Ryan Murphy's shows have a pattern of starting out with lots of positive press and then devolving considerably into a complete mess in season two and beyond. So...the trailer looked pretty solid for this...I guess I might get sucked in and disappointed later. :/

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
"For years I've seen the damage your so-called sisterhoods have had on young girls"

What the fuck is this writing? Damage is "done." Effects are "had."

"For years I've seen the damage ... done to young girls" or "For years I've seen the effects ... had on young girls." Pick one.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Ryan Murphy's shows have a pattern of starting out with lots of positive press and then devolving considerably into a complete mess in season two and beyond. So...the trailer looked pretty solid for this...I guess I might get sucked in and disappointed later. :/

that seems to be the general consensus haha

at least this is anthology-esque so maybe we'll get 1 solid season of horror hijinks with emma roberts

i'm ok with that

maxcriden

that seems to be the general consensus haha

at least this is anthology-esque so maybe we'll get 1 solid season of horror hijinks with emma roberts

i'm ok with that

Yeah man. I would keep your expectations solid for S1 but beyond that just be prepared to bail. Here's hoping they keep things fresh going into S2 and can make it successfully with the anthology format.

Zalasta

Oh look, Lea Michele playing yet another awkward outcast, where as Emma Roberts is the bitchy popular girl. Not at all similar roles they've already portrayed in other Ryan Murphy shows, exactly what he did to Jessica Lange for 4 seasons of AHS. Murphy continues to have great concept but lack creativity and the execution. His characters are just stereotypes of each other in everything that he does.

Top Bottom