• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Screenshots from the cancelled HD remake of Mortal Kombat 1-2 with new actors

HeartRip_05_zpsb3c213d2.gif

This is a great animation.

Dereck

Not only does NeatherRealm over design their characters, but the models themselves look kind of ugly. Not saying these fan made ones are god-tier or anything, but they are on the right track.

Foxix Von

Holy shit that looks awesome. I would have played the ever loving shit out of this. It retains the feel of the original game to an absolute tee.

I'll never get to play this. :(

Dereck

Agreed. MK3 was probably the pinnacle of their art design, and then they started going off the deep end for sure after MK4.
MK4 is probably my limit for their designs. Scorpion's outfit had detail but it wasn't like he was a walking ancient clothing store like he is now.

irHxx70HCG78x.gif

icdzrMDdmZ4m.gif

jKMHoCnKJz0t4.jpg

MK4 is probably my limit for their designs. Scorpion's outfit had detail but it wasn't like he was a walking ancient clothing store like he is now.

I'll agree with that. I remember for sure it had gone downhill by MK5 but I couldn't remember the designs from MK4 that well.

Darknight

Wow who ever is working on that Mugen project has mad talent. Way better than their original creators can muster now a days.

baphomet

It just goes to show how bad Netherrealm are at character design. Theyre trying to make everyone look like a Rob Liefeld reject from the mid 90's, and it shows.

Very cool idea...im actually wondering why people think this was a bad idea?
B/c it's digitized graphics. The whole digitized sprite phase never had the realism of 3D or the character and charm of proper 2D sprites, and now since we're ever so close to true 3D models w/ night realistic movement, those sort of sprites aren't considered necessary.

Still tho, I think it'd be a fun little experiment if they played up the limitations of the method smart enough.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
As a HUGE fan of the first 3 MK games, I have yet to touch any of the newer 3D ones, as they're butt ugly to me. MK does NOT belong in a 3D world! I have always wanted them to make an MK game that looks like this, and that Mugen project looks BANANAS! They have my full support and I seriously hope this gets released.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
As a HUGE fan of the first 3 MK games, I have yet to touch any of the newer 3D ones, as they're butt ugly to me. MK does NOT belong in a 3D world! I have always wanted them to make an MK game that looks like this, and that Mugen project looks BANANAS! They have my full support and I seriously hope this gets released.

Mortal Kombat (the recent one) is an absolute gem of a fighting game, and honestly the best MK game ever made. Also it's the best fighting game of this gen. You're seriously missing out!

I love how gritty the original game and characters look. It got more cartoonish as the series went on.

Yeah, I thought it was just me that noticed that. The originals looked very realistic and later on they started to get this more cartoony, colorful look.

Jedi2016

This is what MK9 should have been, if they really wanted to go old-school. Ever since they went 3D, it's like they've never even considered going back to a sprite-based 2D fighter, even though the technology now would create something they never could have dreamed of twenty years ago. MK10 will probably look great, but it'll never again have the same feel as the originals.

There is beauty in simplicity. After all these years the SF2 cast still has their default costumes as their primary and rightfully so.

Yeah heres some various stuff from that Mugen MK HD project:
Baraka_StanceAnim04_zps97994f7c.gif

Baraka looks amazing. He was my favorite character, when I was a kid. The detail in this reworking is really nice.
I think the female characters models need a serious reworking. Netherrealm should copy the girls from Dead or Alive 5, as best they can. The MK9 girls look too masculine and lack the superior soft curves of DoA. Not that the DoA models are perfect (still lacking ass).

Grinchy

Banned
Why does Raiden appear to be based on an older man, who looks to be a little out of shape? Raiden is supposed to be 1995 Christophe Lambert dammit :p

I'm just wondering why he looks like he has been impaled by a long stick and is being swiveled side to side.

RAIDEN1

I think the HD remake was inspired by Streetfighter getting a hd remake so Netherealm wanted in on the action as well, but they missed a MASSIVE opportunity, by releasing Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection instead...they could have provided a true HD version, with bonus material as behind the scenes of making MK1-3, concept art etc...but as it is they didn't bother and just rushed it out with bugs...

I've been thinking of getting it though..just because its the best version available currently on the PS3/360..but just never got round to purchasing it on XBlive or PSN...

Top Bottom