• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Jocchan said:
Yes, of course. You can't possibly test every interaction between every combination of objects, and unless you're lucky enough to notice some idiosyncrasies during beta tests they're of course going to be in the final game.

Well I think what I've been pointing out and what you've been agreeing on is exactly what Teasel was trying to say. If I recall, they've already mentioned that they don't program behavior per object. They create core features and attributes that they apply to each object. So while some may get unique behavior, a lot of objects are simply going to be based off these attribute tags that get associated with them. That fact alone that means even basic usage and interaction will be off in some combinations that might feel natural and common sense to people.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Marty Chinn said:
Well I think what I've been pointing out and what you've been agreeing on is exactly what Teasel was trying to say.
Yes, we're all agreeing on this.

Marty Chinn said:
If I recall, they've already mentioned that they don't program behavior per object.
They don't, except for some objects that require it apparently (ie. time machine).

Marty Chinn said:
That fact alone that means even basic usage and interaction will be off in some combinations that might feel natural and common sense to people.
Well, maybe I'm just more optimistic. Of course some results might be different from what players will be expecting, but I'm confident enough for this to be more the exception than the rule.

mclem

xfactor said:
5th Cell really made everyone's jaws dropped with Scribblenauts at E3. Some of the developers are probably raging at this moment that their sequels lose to a lesser-known (pre-E3 at least) 2D game on the DS :lol
The Rock Band Beatles guys, on the other hand, didn't they say it was their favourite game of the show by a huge margin?

I suspect a lot of devs - those who aren't hugely arrogant, anyway - would like it. They're probably a bit better equipped than the average person to see technical wizardry in a game that's *not* a purely graphical thing.

mclem

Jackson said:
tabsina said:
Hey Jackson, since you are here (hopefully still), will Australia be seeing this game in Fall too? or should i be preordering from overseas?
worldwide release dude :D

You'd better support "Shrimp" (a given!) and "Barbie" (No, not the doll).

whynot.jpg

Teasel

you know this is pretty silly but i was wondering... this game will have a japanese release right? japanese have different internet meme from ours,will they replace them?

Teasel said:
you know this is pretty silly but i was wondering... this game will have a japanese release right? japanese have different internet meme from ours,will they replace them?

We here in Spain also have different memes. Obiously there are not going to be in the game, and obiously japanese only memes will also not be in the game.
When they talk about memes they talk about worldwide ones, and with internet all people can know famous memes, even if they are from other countries, so if they are very famous they will be in the game.

xfactor

Banned
mclem said:
The Rock Band Beatles guys, on the other hand, didn't they say it was their favourite game of the show by a huge margin?

I suspect a lot of devs - those who aren't hugely arrogant, anyway - would like it. They're probably a bit better equipped than the average person to see technical wizardry in a game that's *not* a purely graphical thing.

Yah, which is why I said "some" in that post :D Afterall they are still humans though, so some of them are bound to be unhappy over it anyway. We've seem developers who gets bitter over trival stuffs like these before

Teasel said:

I was wondering the same thing too, not for the sake of them having different internet meme, but due to an entirely different language. What are they suppose to type for LOLWUT or Feep for instance?

Teasel said:
o_O I could use the japanese version as a vocabulary tool for my Japanese!!!

xfactor said:
I was wondering the same thing too, not for the sake of them having different internet meme, but due to an entirely different language. What are they suppose to type for LOLWUT or Feep for instance?
Well it's not like LOLWUT and Feep are bound to a certain language... it's most likely gonna be the same in other languages

wrowa

xfactor said:
I fear since a long time that most of the nerdy stuff will be lost in translation. :/ That's why I really hope that it will be possible to switch the different EU versions to english...

Vitet

wrowa said:
I fear since a long time that most of the nerdy stuff will be lost in translation. :/ That's why I really hope that it will be possible to switch the different EU versions to english...
I use the english terms to refeer to those memes when I speak spanish

Nocebo

Metroid Killer said:
o_O I could use the japanese version as a vocabulary tool for my Japanese!!!
There's going to be a japanese language release too? Didn't really expect that. I guess I'll have to buy two copies now.

b.e.r.g

markot said:
Are the memes that important? To me theyre just easter eggs more than anything.
Yeah that's my thought too. It's awesome that you can spawn longcat and all, but the real idea/fun to me is challenging your imagination in these puzzles. Creating your own world of fun rather then looking for internet memes.

Nocebo said:
There's going to be a japanese language release too? Didn't really expect that. I guess I'll have to buy two copies now.
I'm not sure. Jackson has said worldwide release several times in this thread... worldwide usually means america+europe+australia+japan... A japanese version would defintely make me buy another copy.
Any language option in the game would be a great help for said langauge learners. It's a great way to learn(and remember) new words since you associate them with situations from the game.

xfactor

Banned
markot said:

My point wasn't just for the memes. I meant to say that there might be some items that couldn't be spawned due to Japanese languages writing being entirely different from the Western languages.

I guess I'm overthinking things a little here :lol

scitek

I'd seen this thread for the past few days, but I don't own a DS so I hadn't paid it any attention. Yesterday at work, a friend asked me if I had seen it, then he told me about it. So I come home, go to Youtube, search for the game, and see a video showing a shotgun-toting, skateboarding God fighting Cthulhu to the death...

+1 DS

Nocebo

Metroid Killer said:
I'm not sure. Jackson has said worldwide release several times in this thread... worldwide usually means america+europe+australia+japan... A japanese version would defintely make me buy another copy.
Any language option in the game would be a great help for said langauge learners. It's a great way to learn(and remember) new words since you associate them with situations from the game.
Yeah, that's why I've been buying Japanese games lately, to help with studying :)

Jme

markot said:

I doubt you'll be able to solve any puzzle with a meme, so no they aren't that important. (But they are awesome!)

As far as Japanese only items, there are plenty of things they have that we don't. I'm most familiar with traditional Japanese toys, so I'll use those as an example:
Hagoita - Paddle Used in a game called Hanetsuki, which is sort of like badminton, but the paddles are wood and there is no net. The paddles are also beautifully painted or have silk collages on the backside.

Daruma Otoshi - A tower of wood discs that are knocked out by the player from the bottom up, and you must not topple the tower.

Menco (or Menko) - Similar to pogs but they are flexible cards and you throw them next to others to try to get the gust of air to flip the other card. (Better explained in slo-mo video form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJ70Mm6P14)

Take-Tombo - A wooden, or bamboo, propeller stick toy. Literally translates to "Bamboo Dragonfly", you hold the stick part in your hands and move your palms in opposite directions to spin the toy causing it to fly into the air. (Picture example: http://www.goodsfromjapan.com/images/product/248/image4.jpg)

There are lots more obviously.
I suppose with most of these you could get away with "paddle" or "card" or something generic, but theres plenty of stuff that's specific and exclusive enough that it makes me wonder how they'll handle it.

Nocebo said:
What the hell are you talking about? Lowered the amount of items onscreen for the demo? Less items to play with? What do you mean? You spawn the items yourself and you can spawn as many as you want right?

Look at any of the videos out there and you'll see a thermometer at the top of the screen. This fills out when items are spawned in and drains when items are destroyed, and most obviously it's gotta be what limits the amount of items we can spawn.

Like I said, tools and other small objects seem to fill it like 1/8th of the way, but larger objects, especially those with AI, seem to fill it close to 1/4 of the way. What I was commenting on was maybe these "max" levels were toned down for the (unfinished E3) demo or something. Or maybe not. Who knows.

Also, I know new pictures were posted awhile back, but I didn't see anyone posting this one:

23.jpg

It seems the world is laid out exactly how we might expect: 10 worlds of 11 levels each = 110 levels x 2 modes = 220 levels. Mmm, delicious symmetry. There's also a world "0" which I assume is some sort of tutorial or something?

Also, judging by that picture, it seems we have

1. Gardens
2. City?
3. Glacier/Ice island/etc.?
4. No idea. Castle/Medieval?
5. Pirate/Tropical island
6. Savannah? We can see a lion and a giraffe
7. Stunt park
8. Rockship (probably space level)
9. Spooky forest
10. I dunno. Kinda looks like a house with a tree, haha

Johann

3,) No clue.

4.) It's most likely a castle.

10.) It looks like a house. The tree looks like it's in a dome. My eyes keep thinking there is a pyramid in the back.

Jme

Could be more levels than that, you notice there is a cave beneath World 9 (not greyed out) - Perhaps we can travel through there to another 10 worlds? (Rather than the 110 x 2 modes)

handofg0d said:
Could be more levels than that, you notice there is a cave beneath World 9 (not greyed out) - Perhaps we can travel through there to another 10 worlds? (Rather than the 110 x 2 modes)

Eh, I doubt it. I think I read or heard somewhere that there would be 10 worlds, and this was before any of us saw these screens

You know, after watching some videos again I'm not sure if my 110 x2 idea is right. Like, take the Gardens. The Gardens has 11 levels. 1-1 and 1-4 are puzzle levels, 1-7 and 1-9 are action levels, and it doesn't seem like they have to switch between "Action" and "Puzzle" modes.

Now I'm infinitely curious how this lays out. Will some worlds have more than 11 levels? Could there be more worlds? Do we have 220 unique levels? Hmm!

Ah, speculation. I love this feeling just before a game hits, where we have just enough knowledge to make guesses but not enough to feel good about our guesses!

zigg

b.e.r.g said:
Yeah that's my thought too. It's awesome that you can spawn longcat and all, but the real idea/fun to me is challenging your imagination in these puzzles. Creating your own world of fun rather then looking for internet memes.

I can totally see this being a spawning ground for brand-new memes.

Mr. Sam said:
Will "vile of smallpox" work?

Maybe a "vial" would; the vileness of smallpox seems a bit abstract ;)

Teasel

handofg0d said:
I doubt you'll be able to solve any puzzle with a meme, so no they aren't that important. (But they are awesome!)

As far as Japanese only items, there are plenty of things they have that we don't. I'm most familiar with traditional Japanese toys, so I'll use those as an example:
Hagoita - Paddle Used in a game called Hanetsuki, which is sort of like badminton, but the paddles are wood and there is no net. The paddles are also beautifully painted or have silk collages on the backside.

Daruma Otoshi - A tower of wood discs that are knocked out by the player from the bottom up, and you must not topple the tower.

Menco (or Menko) - Similar to pogs but they are flexible cards and you throw them next to others to try to get the gust of air to flip the other card. (Better explained in slo-mo video form: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CJ70Mm6P14)

Take-Tombo - A wooden, or bamboo, propeller stick toy. Literally translates to "Bamboo Dragonfly", you hold the stick part in your hands and move your palms in opposite directions to spin the toy causing it to fly into the air. (Picture example: http://www.goodsfromjapan.com/images/product/248/image4.jpg)

There are lots more obviously.
I suppose with most of these you could get away with "paddle" or "card" or something generic, but theres plenty of stuff that's specific and exclusive enough that it makes me wonder how they'll handle it.
if the game has a kappa then i don't see why a daruma would be a problem

EmCeeGramr said:
What did they look like?
Tumor was essentially a festering ball of orange and brown goo that bounced. It was awful. :lol

I don't know what Anthrax looked like because my friend tried that when he demoed it. Apparently it looks like a white spore but I don't know for sure, I'll have to ask him.

Blizzard

Banned
Alphahawk said:
Both Gamespot, and Gamestop have this listed as coming out on September 15th.
Haha, that's three now counting Amazon! You must all apologize to me if my initial excitement turns out to be correct. :lol

Mr. Sam said:
Will "vile of smallpox" work?
I've read accounts that ebola made people stumble around sick or something like that, and swine flu made people lie down sick when they got it, so apparently they've decided to add some diseases in even if they're not "concrete objects" in my opinion. :)

Also, the different types of levels look sweet. Hopefully you can choose which of those base patterns you use for the level editor!

Firestorm

Teasel said:
oh that's cool! see this is wrong! i should know about stuff like this,not that god and ctulhu punch each other! :/
Well, the "article" that has probably given this game the most amount of hype is Feep's post and it's all about those interactions. Being able to conjure up a Time Machine that actually does what you'd think it was, teleporting to the past with it, seeing a dinosaur which you can then jump on and ride, taking the time machine back to the present, and then stomping on robot zombies using said dinosaur? Damn.

Honestly, that shit is slowly selling everyone I know on the game as I show them.

RagnarokX

Blizzard said:
I've read accounts that ebola made people stumble around sick or something like that, and swine flu made people lie down sick when they got it, so apparently they've decided to add some diseases in even if they're not "concrete objects" in my opinion. :)
Just because viruses and bacteria are microscopic doesn't make them abstract ideas :p

b.e.r.g

zigg said:
I can totally see this being a spawning ground for brand-new memes.
Oh yeah, can't wait to read this thread once the game is out. It's gonna explode!

"ZOMG zombie jesus totally owned shotgun beaver! What to do!!?"

Blizzard

Banned
RagnarokX said:
Just because viruses and bacteria are microscopic doesn't make them abstract ideas :p
I know, but I try to keep my expectations low so I'm pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed. :p I think it'd be neat but probably infeasible if you could spawn "paint" or "paintbrush" and have the option of choosing a color, and then you could paint various objects that color. Of course, if it was only an in-level thing it wouldn't be too much use.

Speaking of the thermometer thing, maybe that is the level item limit. I wonder if there are any levels that let you use more...Jackson, you didn't want to reveal exactly how many "different" words you're planning to have in the game, but can you give us an estimate as to how many items are available in the most sandbox-ish modes (like the title screen)?

Jackson

Blizzard said:
I know, but I try to keep my expectations low so I'm pleasantly surprised instead of disappointed. :p I think it'd be neat but probably infeasible if you could spawn "paint" or "paintbrush" and have the option of choosing a color, and then you could paint various objects that color. Of course, if it was only an in-level thing it wouldn't be too much use.

Speaking of the thermometer thing, maybe that is the level item limit. I wonder if there are any levels that let you use more...Jackson, you didn't want to reveal exactly how many "different" words you're planning to have in the game, but can you give us an estimate as to how many items are available in the most sandbox-ish modes (like the title screen)?

I've said it in interviews at E3 already, so it's public knowledge, so I can tell you here no prob. :)

The object meter is completely dynamic, small items take up less of the bar while larger more complex items take up more of the bar. A hard set limit would suck.

Blizzard

Banned
Jackson said:
I've said it in interviews at E3 already, so it's public knowledge, so I can tell you here no prob. :)

The object meter is completely dynamic, small items take up less of the bar while larger more complex items take up more of the bar. A hard set limit would suck.
Sorry, I didn't remember it from interviews, thanks for repeating. :) I agree a hard limit would suck, but I guess I wondered if playing around on say, the title screen would mean you could use more items than if you were already in a complicated level...or whether it's the same. Either way, it sounds like there's at least enough room for four big "complex" items!

Yeah, I definitely agree that's a great design choice. Seems like you guys definitely thought ahead of most every problem you could encounter. And though 4 "complex" items does not seem like a lot, on the DS, it must be pushing the limits of the poor girl. And in the end I'm sure no single obstacle within a level (even with multiple obstacles per level) would require more than 4-6 items to solve anyways.

Top Bottom