• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scribblenauts Preview/Impressions Thread - You will say "wow." (see post #217)

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
Preorder for the game showed up in my gold box today on Amazon. 5% gold box + 10% ECA discount + Free shipping = Scribblenauts for just $23.79. :D

Blizzard

Banned
KScorp said:
First to recreate every single thing that's going on in that picture in Scribblenauts wins.
Just remember that the last official art he did (post 217) had everything almost totally inaccurate compared to the gameplay, so yeah. ;p

faridmon

that art omg o_O

you know Jackson you guys should make a Wii game like FF XII with that kind of art, I would love to roam around in Rabanastra-like town with beautiful artwork of yours.

KScorp

Nothing new unfortunately. Nothing very "awe inspiring" either.

Although the bike and the chariot (whatever it was called) was somewhat creative.

Jackson

faridmon said:
that art omg o_O

you know Jackson you guys should make a Wii game like FF XII with that kind of art, I would love to roam around in Rabanastra-like town with beautiful artwork of yours.

Check out Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter DS. The art is insanely detailed in that game.

toonhead2

Neo Member
Jackson said:
Check out Drawn to Life: The Next Chapter DS. The art is insanely detailed in that game.

Its a vast improvement from the first, but I can't find new info.

An interesting thing happened with the potato gun and superhero. It seems when Maxwell is armed he poses a threat and the superhero goes after him. Just a thought.

No consulate? I guess you'd have to type "embassy" then. However, I can totally see why they left out nationalities like German as objects. That's a big can of worms.

Speaking of German, I saw the German trailer for Scribblenauts (because I wanted to see their crazy-long words, and also because I understand some German) and I noticed that in the patient scenario, "sniper rifle" was left out. Is there a problem with showing depictions of weapons in commercials in Germany?

Also, Jackson, how did you cover words in other languages that don't really have translations in English? Words like the German "Gastarbeiter" (literally, "guest worker")? Is it available in one edition and not the other? Or do you try and make a similar concept, like "migrant labourer?"

darksagus

someguyinahat said:
No consulate? I guess you'd have to type "embassy" then. However, I can totally see why they left out nationalities like German as objects. That's a big can of worms.

Speaking of German, I saw the German trailer for Scribblenauts (because I wanted to see their crazy-long words, and also because I understand some German) and I noticed that in the patient scenario, "sniper rifle" was left out. Is there a problem with showing depictions of weapons in commercials in Germany?

Also, Jackson, how did you cover words in other languages that don't really have translations in English? Words like the German "Gastarbeiter" (literally, "guest worker")? Is it available in one edition and not the other? Or do you try and make a similar concept, like "migrant labourer?"

I'm not sure on specifics, but Germany is very strict about their video game censorship

someguyinahat said:

I don't think that you'll need a Gastarbeiter to solve a puzzle.

SmellyWaffles

Neo Member
darksagus said:
I'm not sure on specifics, but Germany is very strict about their video game censorship

low_v_gib1.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
I just placed my GameStop preorder at the store today to go along with my Amazon preorder.

When I asked for Scribblenauts, the guy just kind of rolled his eyes and was like "Ah. You want the chicken hat, don't you." :lol If it makes NeoGAF feel any better, I don't think I saw any girls working there. The guy at the counter thought they had 6-7 preorders for Scribblenauts so far, but the manager or someone mentioned they'd gotten two more yesterday.

I don't consider myself to live in a big metropolitan area or anything, but it was still kind of amusing -- the guy at the counter was a somewhat stereotypical gamer type, a little pudgy, and he mentioned that he'd heard about the game at E3 and thought it was gonna be pretty great because of the "over 10,000 known objects" or whatever in the game. He also was looking forward to Golden Sun DS.

And this continues my trend of the people at that GameStop not trying to sell me ANYTHING else with my purchases or preorders. I don't know if I look too old for that sort of thing or what, but my experiences there have been mostly decent. :)

Shiggy

someguyinahat said:
Is that October just for Europe? The official scribblenauts website still says September.

Probably...in Europe it's out on October 9th (originally it was planned for September 24th, most stores still have that date in their databases) :(

Spirit3

I'm not going to pre-order this, but I am going to buy it. Am I part of the problem?

Everything about this game is hella cool. Never has a game evoked such interest on a scale that exceeds shiny new graphics or updated formula to long running franchise. This is truly the age of Scribblenauts. Impressions and new trailers/footage cannot come soon enough.

Blizzard

Banned
So much for simultaneous release. :p Now, if it gets delayed in the United States, we're going to have to hold Jackson hostage...it's under the month mark!

Blizzard said:
Now, if it gets delayed in the United States, we're going to have to hold Jackson hostage
What would be the point? He'll just cunningly escape within 24 hours, also averting some kind of nuclear holocaust for good measure.

b.e.r.g

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.gif

So, who'll send one over? Since it's region free I expect a couple of online retailers to start selling them before October.

ombz

I haven't seen any new video from gamecon (besides trailer).
Also how come they're picking and choosing which presidents are in?

Lovechild

Neo Member
"Gamescon is in Europe, and that's when Scribblenauts will release over there. It's still out Sept 15th in NA"

Oh, wow! Then it's all fine and dandy!
Just us europeans getting nipple twisted again, no problem.

Here we were thinking "Oh, 'simultaneous world side release'? That's nice... What's that? Ten days later here, you say? Well, that's still pretty simultaneous by these standards."

"One month!?"

One more month waiting for the greatest video game in the history of the universe? One month of witch we will be forced to sit by while the internet implodes with smug americans (as if they weren't smug enough already...) with bliss in their eyes reflecting the nirvanas of their hearts as they fill message boards and youtube with their love for the greatest interactive sensation ever to be crafted by human hands, which they can experience freely whenever and wherever they choose. I understand now this "freedom" you americans keep talking about. You understand not it's value until you've had it swiped from under your feet.

Can we at least get a hint of the purpose for this delay?
Oh, I guess not. "It's all in the hands of Bugs Bunny."

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Lovechild said:

I can only guess, but I suspect it is to avoid clashing with the new Professor Layton. And that would be because with all the hype Scribblenauts is expected to be way bigger than it was initially expected to be.

So it is our fault!

Oops.

faridmon

Lovechild said:
"Gamescon is in Europe, and that's when Scribblenauts will release over there. It's still out Sept 15th in NA"

Here we were thinking "Oh, 'simultaneous world side release'? That's nice... What's that? Ten days later here, you say? Well, that's still pretty simultaneous by these standards."

"One month!?"

One more month waiting for the greatest video game in the history of the universe? One month of witch we will be forced to sit by while the internet implodes with smug americans (as if they weren't smug enough already...) with bliss in their eyes reflecting the nirvanas of their hearts as they fill message boards and youtube with their love for the greatest interactive sensation ever to be crafted by human hands, which they can experience freely whenever and wherever they choose. I understand now this "freedom" you americans keep talking about. You understand not it's value until you've had it swiped from under your feet.

seriously.

I am still furious we are getting Kingdom Heart DS in October while NA get i in September. bloody hell.

do they hate us or what?

Lovechild said:

"One month!?"

What in the hell? It's not the end of the world, dude. October 9th is 3 weeks later. It sucks shit, no doubt, and I doubt consumers would consider this a world wide launch, even if the devs do. But going on some bizarre anti-American rant is...just...what?

or was I just metatrolled?

Mr. Sam

SirPenguin said:
What in the hell? It's not the end of the world, dude. October 9th is 3 weeks later. It sucks shit, no doubt, and I doubt consumers would consider this a world wide launch, even if the devs do. But going on some bizarre anti-American rant is...just...what?

I think you've misinterpreted his "rant".

Blizzard

Banned
SirPenguin said:

or was I just metatrolled?
It was British
or European in general
humour. Sarcasm, old chap. Too sophisticated for you, as an American, eh wot. ;p

-_- Excellent. Had a few mates at GAME say it was due September 1st in the UK, which didn't make sense cos that would be a Tuesday. Ah well October it is then.

I hope we do get the rooster hat now, as some sort of compensation at least *HINT FUCKING HINT* :p

Still, it'll be worth it in the end though, keep saying that I can't wait for this, but in the end, that's what I'm gonna have to do!

razdor2k

Banned
Dont you dare blame 5TH cell for this!!! though i believe that warner bros. just did this. Dont blame the devs, they are not responsible for release date stuff. or anything else, they already done their job, the game is at the final version.

I'm sure it's just localization. Or, well, I'd imagine.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/creative-director-scribblenauts/54423?r=1#comment_head_text

New interview with Jackson. Doesn't reveal much new but I love hearing about the "behind the scenes" stuff, so I found it pretty cool.

Also, describes a level where you have to cross some area with a cat and a dog, which of course fight each other, and you have to find a way to stop it. He talks about how people used traditional solutions (walls, etc.), then one guy used shrink ray on the dog and tossed him into a satchel, which surprised him

mj1108

SirPenguin said:
I'm sure it's just localization. Or, well, I'd imagine.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/creative-director-scribblenauts/54423?r=1#comment_head_text

New interview with Jackson. Doesn't reveal much new but I love hearing about the "behind the scenes" stuff, so I found it pretty cool.

Also, describes a level where you have to cross some area with a cat and a dog, which of course fight each other, and you have to find a way to stop it. He talks about how people used traditional solutions (walls, etc.), then one guy used shrink ray on the dog and tossed him into a satchel, which surprised him

Nice to see a Post 217 shoutout and you even see the NeoGAF logo in there in a couple spots.

Top Bottom