• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrubbing out the win: Examples of "bad" players winning competitive games

If the dude was upset at the loss, Its understandable why he didn't handshake the guy. Good Sportsmanship or not.

Idk why this match is highlighted though.....shame dude is getting this much attention over something that happens all the time.

most of the top player pool matches were played offstream, so we got to see exciting things like fishstix #1 american vs the world and etc. but logan said it pretty well, fsp didn't adapt and lost.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Fun fact: nintendo showed the first match on a series of 10 brawl tutorials on their nintendo channel of the wii. NINTENDO SHOWING AN EVOLUTION MATCH!? Crazy if you think about what almost happened with melee at evo this year... :p

I think those were Sirlin videos.

Has anybody posted this video yet? If yes then here it is again lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uZWArSOmCc

But anyways, it's rare but this shit happens once in a while to a competent player against a much weaker player. I went through it myself. Here is my story if anybody wants to take a look

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=92203660&postcount=422

I was so angry and flustered. I came back to win by going nearly full retard myself. When it was all over, I was still very angry about it. I thought "how dare this guy think he could beat me by doing that and only that". But you have to live and learn from this experience so that next time you're prepared for it if you should ever find yourself in that situation again.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
all i said is that they "showed" it because it was on their channel (in one of the wii "apps")

I know, I remember them. It was just weird to see this Sirlin made thing shown by Nintendo.

Like what the fuck does nintendo care about people getting better at smash

most of the top player pool matches were played offstream, so we got to see exciting things like fishstix #1 american vs the world and etc. but logan said it pretty well, fsp didn't adapt and lost.

I was saying this match should not have garnered this much attention and its sad that it has. I know what went down lol.

Wensih

Ok then well it shouldn't and no one should be obligated to be "good sports" either if they don't want to be.

Of course it's not obligated to be a good sport. You don't have to be good sport if you don't want to; I'm just saying you burn bridges that way, with the audience, with the judges, with contestants, with sponsors, with employers, etc.

If you want to say 'fuck everyone' and storm off, go ahead, but people will perceive you differently, whether it's a fair judge of character or not, on the way you act from moment to moment.

So yes you still have a choice in the way you act, no one is taking that away from you.

EDIT: I've been sort of focusing on being a sore loser, but the same attitude applies to winning. If you go around thinking everyone is underneath you because you're ranked number 1 and nobody can touch you then, like being a bad sport, the audience , judges, contestants, sponsors, employers, etc. are not going to respect you, want you on their team (and if they do it's because they want to use you until you fail), or be around you.

Of course it's not obligated to be a good sport. You don't have to be good sport if you don't want to; I'm just saying you burn bridges that way, with the audience, with the judges, with contestants, with sponsors, with employers, etc.

If you want to say 'fuck everyone' and storm off, go ahead, but people will perceive you differently, whether it's a fair judge of character or not, on the way you act from moment to moment.

So yes you still have a choice in the way you act, no one is taking that away from you.

From what I've seen, you rarely burn bridges this way. Like serious, people like Filipino Champ are sponsored and he isn't exactly like the pinnacle of good sportsmanship. I think you're over emphasizing the importance of sportsmanship like most do.

ec0ec0

I know, I remember them. It was just weird to see this Sirlin made thing shown by Nintendo.

Like what the fuck does nintendo care about people getting better at smash

I thought that too. Well, thanks to that video i could see cpu annoying (to say the least) rob. I am sure that my friends (we just played for fun) can still remeber how much they hated rob: spot dodge into down smash :p

you have to understand that the FGC isn't like this at all.

The FGC has strong rivalries that come from popoffs. Look at rayray v fanatiq, fanatiq v infrit, unknown vs andre, ricky vs krone, and etc. All their "shit talk" is in game, many of them are on good terms outside of the game. But its that pop off, and that pride that pushes them to be better than them. Its the arcade mentality. When you win, the other person has to put in more money (quarters) and/or wait in line.

LoL and SC2 don't really have these sort of rivalries. Its very different. TSM and CLG had a rivalry but it wasn't even on the same level of a FGC rivalry. They weren't really pushed to one-up each other. You could tell they weren't that motivated as lets say CJshowstopper vs Andre, sanford vs wong or any of the other rivalries in the FGC. Hell, the NA vs EU in LoL is nothing like the East Coast vs West Coast in Marvel 2.

The FGC is just different in that whole regard.

I was saying this match should not have garnered this much attention and its sad that it has. I know what went down lol.

To me it makes a lot of sense why this has garnered so much attention. Not everything has to have godlike play to get tons of views. If you watch American Football, you've probably heard of the infamous "Butt fumble" which involved Mark Sanchez running into the rare end of one of his huge defensive linemen which caused him to fumble the ball which the other team picked up for a TD.

It was nothing more but a very embarrassing moment for Mark Sanchez. But yet it made headlines at everywhere and was uploaded to Youtube and has hundreds of thousands of views. This is just one of those super rare and comedic moments for the FGC. It was a rare occurrence where a decent player lost to a much lower level player because he was probably so mind fucked that he failed to do everything he should have done during the match.

I guarantee you if these two got together to play again in a first to 10 or 20, FSP would win easily, I'd be surprised if he lost even 1 match after having all this time to think about what had happened and analyze what he did wrong. But in that moment, everything went wrong for FSP and this is the result. That's why everybody was laughing so hysterically and why it has garnered so much attention.

She sucked initially but after a buff or two Sheeva became very powerful, her armor moves were great, and people didn't know what to do against her because she was rarely chosen. I got hundreds and hundreds of scrub wins (if that's what you want to call it) with Sheeva online back in the day. Her jump in combo if it connects is 33% and it's so long you have time to figure out whether it's blocked or not. On block you can end the combo differently and safely and it still chips like 10% damage total.

That teleport can be dropped center forward or back and you can play some wicked mind games. I don't know if her fireball was ever patched but you couldn't duck it (iirc), and blocking it would force a push back. Again, I don't know if it was patched out, but Sheeva's only real weakness was jump in pressure once she got super armor on her moves.

The sheer amount of people who didn't know her combos or moves won me an incredible amount of matches. People would laugh at me over voice chat as soon as I picked her but after a minute or so just didn't know what to expect and would start freaking out or simply rage quit.

The fact that it was "well known that Sheeva sucked" is probably what made her that much better.
There were a few characters I was terrified to go up against, I think it was Kung Lao and Johnny Cage, I forget why though.

Even after patches Sheeva is still terrible. Bottom 3 for sure.

Her armor is quite bad. The hit boxes are all wonky so like with her armored grab tons of moves cause it to whiff.

It's true her fireball is mid but most characters can still duck under it by lowering their hitbox with a low poke. It's also slow and easy to jump.

33% off a jump in is not good damage. My character gets 50% on hit or gets pressure on block.

You can punish the stomp with universal punishes that beat any way she lands. There's a bunch of ways to blow it up. Anyone can neutral jump punch.

Props to doing well with her online but she was unviable lol

Annubis

Actually, speaking of LoL...

My memory isn't so good but I think it was CLG vs M5 in a smaller tournament.
It was a game where CLG beat M5 so bad, they won under 30 minutes both games.
(CLG back then would never win a game under an hour)

Not that M5 are scrub... but they played so badly, it sure didn't make them look good in that match.

Are newer players actually referred to "scrubs", or is that only pro players looking down on them sort of thing. He was not looking very happy though lol.

The latter, definitely. "New players" become "scrubs" when they do better against experienced players than they have any reasonable expectation to. They earn a derogative title because the experienced player doesn't want to face the reality that his years of experience failed against a random button-masher.

The latter, definitely. "New players" become "scrubs" when they do better against experienced players than they have any reasonable expectation to. They earn a derogative title because the experienced player doesn't want to face the reality that his years of experience failed against a random button-masher.

what? no not at all. What the fuck are you even talking about?

edit

Kinda relevant to the original video. Mike Ross vs Yipes and involves breaking down a cage
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfLP0spnJMg

vocab

So I guess not shaking hands or saying "gg" or whatever would be a big deal in eSports?

Not really. Unless they are paid to do that or its expected of them.

I never say good game even when I win. I mean if you lose and say good game you are just lying to your opponent. IT WASNT GOOD IF YOU LOST.

wtf are you even talking about

ScOULaris

wtf are you even talking about
It seems like people who don't know that much about fighting games are ignorant to what made Ghandi's play "scrubby." It's not just some label people are giving him because he won against a better player. It describes his complete lack of setups, spacing, timing, or even basic combos. He's not a button-masher, but he's really only a step above that.

If you can't see that because you don't follow fighting game closely, then just take our word for it. Nobody is mad at him for winning in a scrubby fashion. In fact, his winning is exactly what makes this video so entertaining.

ShinMaruku

Speaking of the video and this topic I don't think it has any malice to it. Yes to an outsider it looks bad most people are negative on the unknown and when ribbing is seen it can colour a view on it.

But the guy who lost I am sure he has learned and will do better at another tourney. I remember when Fuudo started SF he was ass and went away and now he bodies people.

People say adversity builds character I say it reveals it.

It seems like people who don't know that much about fighting games are ignorant to what made Ghandi's play "scrubby." It's not just some label people are giving him because he won against a better player. It describes his complete lack of setups, spacing, timing, or even basic combos. He's not a button-masher, but he's really only a step above that.

If you can't see that because you don't follow fighting game closely, then just take our word for it. Nobody is mad at him for winning in a scrubby fashion. In fact, his winning is exactly what makes this video so entertaining.

Plus this shit makes for fun runbacks and stories anyway if/when both players meet again.

That escalated quickly. Hit a raw nerve?

No, I'm just calling out stupidity and/or ignorance.

No. When someone says "Scrub" it usually refers to a player that is of low skill and does things without rhyme or reason. It's a step above "button-masher" but still in the same general area. Even high-level players can have "Scrub" moments depending on state of mind at the time. It happens in pretty much every game.
Heres what the general definition of scrub is in terms of gameplay.

I don't know much about SF4 competitively but I'm going to assume that dude was so used to playing a certain play style( presumably a safe one) that the randomness he was presented with was too jarring and confused him,and/or he just completely forgot simple fundamentals. Seemed like all he had to do was block and punish.Even though I've only ever really been Mid-Tier or slightly above the fighting games I've played, I can say I've lost a couple matches in similar fashion.( the last one I can remember being VF5 Final Strike last year); You may know the counter, but if you're not accustomed to the randomness or don't train to deal with an unsafe play style, you won't be able to think of or instinctively pull out the counter right away, and may not adapt in time. That's why even for pro's, knowing when to play unsafe or "random" can be a valuable skill.

I don't know much about SF4 competitively but I'm going to assume that dude was so used to playing a certain play style( presumably a safe one) that the randomness he was presented with was too jarring and confused him,and/or he just completely forgot simple fundamentals. Seemed like all he had to do was block and punish.Even though I've only ever really been Mid-Tier or slightly above the fighting games I've played, I can say I've lost a couple matches in similar fashion.( the last one I can remember being VF5 Final Strike last year); You may know the counter, but if you're not accustomed to the randomness or don't train to deal with an unsafe play style, you won't be able to think of or instinctively pull out the counter right away, and may not adapt in time. That's why even for pro's, knowing when to play unsafe or "random" can be a valuable skill.

pretty much. daigo even had to go jyobin style against gamerbee since adon usually takes it over ryu.

Dahbomb

I think people need to differentiate among new players and scrub players.

New player (aka newbie) is simply someone who is new to the game or the genre. They will do obviously new player mistakes and lack the knowledge/experience to consistently win at a game.

A scrub player is a player who has sort of graduated from the "new player" category in that the player has gotten a reasonable amount of knowledge/experience in the game but fall backs on bad habits, bad plays, bad fundamentals, bad mentalities and just simply relying on a few strong gimmicks and tactics to get by (all of these are referred to as "scrubbish" play). This is the type of player who has put in thousands of games online but still mashes DP/wake up Ultra in SF4 or has put thousands of hours in a Marvel game and goes for YOLO Foot Dives or unsafe Berserker Slash all day because those tactics can beat new players but get punished against more seasoned players.

A scrub player in certain ways is worse than a new player. The thing that holds back a scrub player the most is the scrub mentality which includes complaining about certain tactics regularly or having these weird rules for fighting games that they adhere to (it's "cheap" to spam the same move for more than a few times). Even certain top players have an element of scrubbiness to them that hold them back sometimes.

cormack12

Gold Member
Don't really play beat 'em ups but surely this is your own fault?

For context you can play people on FIFA for example who have little skill, no custom tactics and no sense of the strategy shifts you can trigger. Yet they still win games by throwing balls over the top and having fast wingers. They persist and eek out goals in some fashion.

However, if I lose over the course of a match I blame myself. I have the tools there to stop them and if I don't I'll give away cheap goals and lose. Sometimes I will lose and be frustrated but that's the way it is.

I thought the guy doing the commentary had a good point. Why was FSG chasing the other guy, he could have just side screened and blocked most of that surely? Until he got a handle on the guy.....this is just a guess by the way. I am absolutely awful at beat 'em ups though and really inexperienced since the likes of Mortal Kombat II.

Top Bottom