• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scrubbing out the win: Examples of "bad" players winning competitive games

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
There is a difference between "everybody is a winner" and congratulating somebody when they win. You fail to see the difference. In no other competition would one competitor be laughed at so much. If he's a novice, then he's a novice, we all start somewhere. But why do they feel the need to sit there and just snigger at this kids effort? Its elitist, simple as that. Its the ugly side of gaming most people don't want to see. How would that display encourage anybody to play in future?

At the end of the day its only a video game, were hardly talking about Bobby Fisher levels of skill here.
I think you should stop reading so much into it and not criticize them for behavior and slights that you seem to have pulled out of thin air.

And not even good players get a "good job" after every single match.

Cromat

Never play poker against an inexperienced player. You can't tell what they're thinking or what they are doing what they are doing.

Speedloafer

Neo Member
I think you should stop reading so much into it and not criticize them for behavior and slights that you seem to have pulled out of thin air.

And not even good players get a "good job" after every single match.

How am I reading much into it? Its blatant what they are doing. Im not asking them to bring down a nice hamper and rosette and start to sweet talk the kid. But is an acknowledgement of what has happened to much to ask for? I mean they are supposed to call the action right?

Sixfortyfive

How am I reading much into it? Its blatant what they are doing. Im not asking them to bring down a nice hamper and rosette and start to sweet talk the kid. But is an acknowledgement of what has happened to much to ask for? I mean they are supposed to call the action right?
If they are laughing at anyone in that match, it's not Gandhi.

They are so frustrated with FSP that they literally yell at him to use his ultra at one point.

Aesius

I button mashed my way to two consecutive wins over a really dedicated SSBM player. I had never played the game in my life.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I button mashed my way to two consecutive wins over a really dedicated SSBM player. I had never played the game in my life.

I beat my buddy in Tekken Tag, I had never played it and he is a long time Tekken fan. I felt pretty embarrassed actually. Luckily I think he ended up adjusting to my button mashing, but it is a weird feeling when that happens.

That's why Soul Cal is the best for me: everybody is just button mashing! :p

Imm0rt4l

There is a difference between "everybody is a winner" and congratulating somebody when they win. You fail to see the difference. In no other competition would one competitor be laughed at so much. If he's a novice, then he's a novice, we all start somewhere. But why do they feel the need to sit there and just snigger at this kids effort? Its elitist, simple as that. Its the ugly side of gaming most people don't want to see. How would that display encourage anybody to play in future?

At the end of the day its only a video game, were hardly talking about Bobby Fisher levels of skill here.
This is a tournament setting. Check your feeling of entitlement of gold stars at the door. Fuck turning a congratulations into a formality, it only devalues it, furthermire its not the commentators to give the players a pat on the back. They werent even talking shit, just calling it how they saw it.

Speedloafer

Neo Member
I found his laughter to be infectious. It enhanced my enjoyment of the video.

Others liken it to the holocaust because they feel that he was coming off as elitist.

Yea I'm sure those 6 million Jews men women and children that were rounded up, starved, beaten and persecuted before being finally being stripped naked lined up and forced into gas chambers felt exactly like this. That is exactly the point I was trying to convey.

This is a tournament setting. Check your feeling of entitlement of gold stars at the door. Fuck turning a congratulations into a formality, it only devalues it, furthermire its not the commentators to give the players a pat on the back. They weren't even talking shit, just calling it how they saw it.

Turning "congratulations into a formality, it only devalues it" Now I'm starting to understand why you cant see the Elitist pricks...

Yea I'm sure those 6 million Jews men women and children that were rounded up, starved, beaten and persecuted before being finally being stripped naked lined up and forced into gas chambers felt exactly like this. That is exactly the point I was trying to convey.

Turning "congratulations into a formality, it only devalues it" Now I'm starting to understand why you cant see the Elitist pricks...

jesus christ.

GorillaJu

Never play poker against an inexperienced player. You can't tell what they're thinking or what they are doing what they are doing.

This is a good analogy and like fighting games, in poker you can lose everything in one flurry of bad decisions and never have a chance to re-establish yourself.

I'm terrible at poker and my friends who are really quite good don't like playing with me because my predictability somehow makes me unpredictable :lol

I like watching a youtube series called "When Cheese Fails." If you love to see dishonorable, cheap, hackish tactics get punished, you'll like this show.

The only downside is the commentators are offensively unfunny and... well, of questionable intellectual repute. One guy sounds like Bullwinkle and his stupidity will make your blood curdle with super douche-chills.

But, it's still worth watching, lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLd-1NAAAvc

This is only possible in fighting games. In any type of competition level fps like CS or Quake twitch pixel accurate shooting abilities would negate any type of unorthodox playstyle even if that playstyle were to trip the better player up. The close distance between the players in a FG probably helps in that regard. Even a bad player is close enough to his opponent to perhaps win if he can throw his timing off enough.

This would also never happen in an rts or moba. Never. The skill ceiling in those games is enormous. It's just too high a hill to climb over an entire match for any truly bad player to overcome. I suppose the skill ceiling problem applies in fps games as well. The ability of players to twitch shoot someone almost instantly is just too much skill for a bad player to overcome.

Maybe a game like the COD games? Those games dont have a high skill ceiling and are only played competitively because of their sales numbers.

I agree with this. Although you still can cheese hard in SC2 and sometime win by simple blind counter Build Order and that is luck if you scout too late or in the wrong spots. Also for a cheese like 6 pool, macro and micro and to be taken into account. And micro isn't a science it has so many factors and outcomes you are never sure how a battle will play depending on each side's micro

I like watching a youtube series called "When Cheese Fails." If you love to see dishonorable, cheap, hackish tactics get punished, you'll like this show.

The only downside is the commentators are offensively unfunny and... well, of questionable intellectual repute. One guy sounds like Bullwinkle and his stupidity will make your blood curdle with super douche-chills.

I watched the first season. IIRC, it was like 9 out of 10 were protoss cheese-fails...

Imm0rt4l

Holy shit. This post is bad.

Zissou

These words- I do not think you understand their implication when you use them like this.

TokiDoki

Able to play properly is one thing , but the inability to beat a scrub means your own basic/fundamental is not solid enough . FSP didn't even AntiAir a single jump in and kept dropping basic combos . If he would have did these properly , he could have won easily .

That said , the problem here is not failing to adapt scrub gameplay , but actually lacking of basic fundamental .

Sixfortyfive

Did you run the go-to option select on him after your victory?
dontevenplay.jpg

112255.gif

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How the fuck did this topic derail into the fathoms of the abyss?

I thought uber-derails were a myth, guess I was wrong

Gxgear

Not sure why people are trying to justify or define the term 'scrub' when it carries such a negative connotation, and is more or less used in a derogatory manner.

The footage clearly shows that the player that deserved the match got the win.

Atrophis

I remember when I was a kid I was watching legendary UK videogame show Gamesmaster. They brought a Japanese VF player on the show to see if he could beat 100 players in a row. Of course he did it no problem only dropping a few rounds the entire time. Afterwards he explained the dropped rounds were to guys who had never played VF before because he couldn't predict their play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYaZzLuNk2w

These words- I do not think you understand their implication when you use them like this.

Well, I'm using them tongue-in-cheek. I'm actually of the mind that cheese is okay, because if you can't defend it, you aren't that good. And if it can't be defended, the game is broken.

Anteo

Small bump, in case anyone is interested, UltraChenTV is going to analyze the match on the OP. They did say before they would go into that match as soon as they could.

@UltraChenTV
Tonight is the night! David & James analyze Ghandi v FSP for lessons on playing against unorthodox players twitch.tv/ultrachentv 8:30pm PT

Top Bottom