• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SD Card and USB C Cord Suggestions for Switch

Sorry for another Switch thread. Coming into new, big purchases, I like to do what I can to spread out the spending. Right now the most I can do is look into SD cards (128 or 256) and a good USB-C cord (or two, one super long!) so I'm ready to go 3/3/17

The problem is that there are so many options out there! Plus I hear a lot about USB-C safety and what's good and what's not. Naturally, I look to gaf for some suggestions and I'm sure we'll also start some good discussions about this type of tech.

Finally, if we get enough good, solid recommendations then I'll update this post so people can easily check and see what the community likes.

Thanks everyone :) I honestly don't even know where to begin aside from Google and Amazon.

Edit: Following are some recommendations from this thread

Micro SD

SanDisk Ultra 200GB Micro SD $59.00- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V62XBQQ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

PNY Elite-X 32GB microSDHC Card $14.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G26R0BM/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Samsung 128GB 80MB/s EVO Select Micro SDXC Memory Card $39.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DOB6YW4/?tag=neogaf0e-20

USB Type C

Here are some USB-C recommendations from this thread – RustySpoon posted this spreadsheet from a Google engineer who is really invested in investigating USB-C. Every recommendation has passed the “Benson Leung” test.

iOrange-E Braided USB C Charger Cable (6.6ft) $10.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010VFFU1W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

iOrange-E Braided USB C Charger Cable (10ft) $13.99 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016ZYUDT2/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Anker PowerLine+ USB-C to USB 3.0 cable (6ft) $12.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M5GMZ6X/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Bonus Power Bank: Anker PowerCore 20100 (4.8A) $39.99 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X5RV14Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Edit: here is my official pre-Switch haul.

- iOrange 10ft USB C to A
- 2 Anker wall units (one for iOrange cord another for the USB C to A included with the Pro Controller
- 200GB SanDisk microSDXC card

KRFJIlg.jpg

Pif

Banned
Offtopic: Can one use the Switch in handheld mode while charging it?

Won't it think it is docked and then fry itself?

You definitely can. I don't think it'll fry itself because it knows it's not outputting to HDMI, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

BigK_201

During the presentation on Friday, it said you can use the included AC adapter to charge it or use portable batteries.

On Topic: Interested in people's responses :)

I don't have any recommendations myself, but I appreciate what this thread is doing and imma subscribe. I'm also looking for this exact stuff but I haven't looked into yet.

Hope other posters can point us both to some good products (for a good price, I'm already broke just getting the Switch and Zelda alone, lmao).

You definitely can. I don't think it'll fry itself because it knows it's not outputting to HDMI, but I'm not 100% sure on that.

During the presentation on Friday, it said you can use the included AC adapter to charge it or use portable batteries.

Okay, this is something I didn't think of so it's good to hear I'm not going to kill my Switch, lol.

I think a 200 or 256GB microSDXC card might be a good investment. Will definitely buy one down the road. During that transition time my 128GB card will have to (and probably will) suffice. Will personally go for SanDisk or Kingston, as those are cheap but definitely do the trick and won't die any time soon.

So long as we don't know how long the USB-C cord is for Switch I would hold out on buying a second one.

@Pif: Yes, you can. Pretty sure the dock is confirming some kind of handshake with the Switch to know it's being put into the dock. Otherwise they wouldn't use a USB-C port for its handheld, knowing all well that you could kill your console if you put a different USB-C cord in that thing.
Nintendo might be stupid at times, but they're never THAT stupid.

Pagusas

Elden Member

Of course you can use it while charging via a cable, it will know its not outputting to a screen. Additionally its cooling is all built in, even if it did increase power when plugged in, the fan built into the tablet woud just speed up.

Peltz

There's no fan in the dock. If anything the screen will just turn off and the fan will start going if it thinks it's outputting video.

No reason to think it will fry itself by going into TV-mode. It's built to do exactly that.

Ninja Dom

There's still a few more weeks until launch so wait until closer to launch for the Micro SD card. Prices will continue dropping.

Xclash

can't grow facial hair
Apple USB-C charge cable is the one I would pick up. It's $20 until March and the revised version supports up to 100 watts. Only downside is transfer speeds are slow.

The fan is in the switch so it wont fry itself. The one think I'm wondering is if you play in handheld mode while charging do you get docked performance. 900p/1080p downsampled should look amazing on that screen.

SerTapTap

IMO no reason to go 256 GB SD card yet. You can get 64 for $20 or 128 for $40 with the sandisk ultra, but 256 is many times more expensive per GB. Wait until you actually fill a smaller card and the bigger ones will probably be way cheaper. You're unlikely to fill even a 64GB card unless you buy all digital.

I got a USB C phone a while ago and I got a few USB Micro to USB C adapters, they're very cheap, they'll charge a lot slower, but you probably have USB Micro all over so it could possibly be of value, especially as you get more USB C devices. Excited nintendo's finally at the forefront of a proper standard, love my USB C phone.

TunaLover

Will personally go for SanDisk or Kingston, as those are cheap but definitely do the trick and won't die any time soon.
Will go for SanDisk personally, never ever again Kingston since one of my brand new pendrives just died and I lost all my Wii U saves. Hopefully they get cheap once higher capacity appear.

tsab

I assume you'll need a powerbank that outputs 3Amps on single usb plug to actually (quick) charge it while playing. Less, say 1.5Amps per plug, and will definitely won't keep up. It will deplete slowly.

Also it won't think it's docked. My phone is usb type-c and outputs hdmi but it needs the adapter to actually understand to send the signal.

Pagusas

Elden Member
In terms of USB charging I'll be getting something like this Anker charger:

This one specifically is only $13 bucks and should add a good amount of playtime to the Switch on the go.

Not until we know the charging amp required. Its may only charge at 1.5/3amp USBc rates. If thats the case, all those .9 amp chargers wont work (and most 1.5amp ones wont either)

This one specifically is only $13 bucks and should add a good amount of playtime to the Switch on the go.
I doubt you're going to get too much extra playtime from one of those. They're handy as a pocketable charger for a phone but they don't hold that much charger, certainly not enough for a full Switch charge.

If you're going to carry a USB battery around in a bad you'd be better off with one of the higher capacity Ankers.

There's a Googler named Benson Leung that reviews Type-C cables. He checks them for all kinds of spec compatibilities to make sure they won't fry machines.

Spoiler: he has fried machines testing some.

Check all his stuff out here: https://plus.google.com/collection/s0Inv

He also has an Amazon wishlist of cables he has tested to be compliant: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/IOGWYK5NXW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

This is great stuff. Does he have a list anywhere, or an aggregated post?

In regards to USB-C stuff, I always recommend people refer to this Google spreadsheet of items that have been tested by Benson Leung, an engineer on the Pixel team at Google who is very passionate about USB-C and compliance with spec. Lots of cords in there with links to Benson's reviews (which are super detailed).

When I was looking for a USB-C power bank to use with my Nexus 5X, I didn't really like the options, so I ended up just going with this cord to use with my Anker 21000 bank I already had. Good cord, but I notice that sometimes when I'm playing Pokemon Go with it, my phone is still draining, albeit very very very slowly. I'm assuming the power draw from the Switch will be more than the phone, so my solution might not be a great option for that.

Thanks for making the thread definitely interested.

Also power banks / ortanle chargers

We should have an overall recommended switch accessories OT eventually too

I assume you'll need a powerbank that outputs 3Amps on single usb plug to actually (quick) charge it while playing. Less, say 1.5Amps per plug, and will definitely won't keep up. It will deplete slowly.

Also it won't think it's docked. My phone is usb type-c and outputs hdmi but it needs the adapter to actually understand to send the signal.

Both of mine are 2.1A. I hope this is enough!

LordofPwn

For storage microSDXC card. Brands i recommend are Samsung Evo/Evo + and SanDisk Ultra/Extreme
128GB ~$40
200GB ~$70
256GB ~$160

200GB seems to be the sweet spot but 128GB should be fine if you plan to buy games physically.

As for USB-C cables i would look at monoprice first. but you could also just buy a USB extender, especially if you're just wanting to charge the system. how long is the provided cable?

You don't want to use a small external phone battery for the Switch. It won't have enough juice to give tablets any meaningful charge. You'll want something in the 10k mAH range and 2amp charging.

I have that charger, the mAh on it is very low, don't expect much. It's great for keeping in a pocket while out at night, but from dead it'll only charge my 5X to about 80% before being completely drained.

Jofamo

I have a real hard time understanding the difference in Micro SD card spec.

Can anyone breakdown what the difference is between the SanDisk Ultra, Extreme and Extreme Plus?

They're all Class 10... I thought that was the only thing that mattered in speed? Is it worth choosing one of those over the other, when it's not being used for professional photography?

For storage microSDXC card. Brands i recommend are Samsung Evo/Evo + and SanDisk Ultra/Extreme
128GB ~$40
200GB ~$70
256GB ~$160

200GB seems to be the sweet spot but 128GB should be fine if you plan to buy games physically.

As for USB-C cables i would look at monoprice first. but you could also just buy a USB extender, especially if you're just wanting to charge the system. how long is the provided cable?

Great question! I'll look into this. Even if it's long I know I won't want to go behind my TV to manage my cables every time I want to play on the go.

JoeFu

Banned
In regards to USB-C stuff, I always recommend people refer to this Google spreadsheet of items that have been tested by Benson Leung, an engineer on the Pixel team at Google who is very passionate about USB-C and compliance with spec. Lots of cords in there with links to Benson's reviews (which are super detailed).

When I was looking for a USB-C power bank to use with my Nexus 5X, I didn't really like the options, so I ended up just going with this cord to use with my Anker 21000 bank I already had. Good cord, but I notice that sometimes when I'm playing Pokemon Go with it, my phone is still draining, albeit very very very slowly. I'm assuming the power draw from the Switch will be more than the phone, so my solution might not be a great option for that.

This spreadsheet needs to be posted in every USB C thread. Had to find good USB Cs for my 6P and ended up with the iorange one I found on his Google+ page. Great cord and recommend it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010VFFU1W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You don't want to use a small external phone battery for the Switch. It won't have enough juice to give tablets any meaningful charge. You'll want something in the 10k mAH range and 2amp charging.

I have that charger, the mAh on it is very low, don't expect much. It's great for keeping in a pocket while out at night, but from dead it'll only charge my 5X to about 80% before being completely drained.

Thanks, good to know. On the plus side though it's very small, and if you only need a small boost (say 30 mins to 1 hr) for portable Switch sessions, it seems like it would do the job no?

Could you use an iPhone charger AC adapter with a USB-C cable to charge? I'd always be concerned about the power rating of the AC adapter either not given enough, or giving too much to the device and damaging the battery. Or is that not a thing that happens?

I would think that the switch knows when it's just charging or not by looking for a hdmi connection, the switch devices in portable mode at the nintendo press showings were connected to power.

Could you use an iPhone charger AC adapter with a USB-C cable to charge? I'd always be concerned about the power rating of the AC adapter either not given enough, or giving too much to the device and damaging the battery. Or is that not a thing that happens?

I have a usbc fast charger for my nexus, I expect that will work fine since its high power.

I plan to buy a USB-C cable and a wall adapter for the Switch, so I'm hoping this thread can help! I don't want to buy Nintendo's AC adapter because it's overpriced and bulky. It doesn't seem like it would fit in the case that comes with the BoTW Master Edition.

Does anyone know what I should be looking for in terms of specs for a USB wall plug? My wife and I only have iPhones and I'm 99% sure the plugs that come in the box won't be enough to charge the Switch unless it's turned off.

atbigelow

So long as the cables are made correctly, it won't happen. People are theorizing the Switch is compliant with the new USB Power Delivery spec, which gives it a lot of flexibility and speed when charging. So long as you use a valid cable and charger combo.

Your best bet will always be to use a C-to-C power adapter.

I plan to buy a USB-C cable and a wall adapter for the Switch, so I'm hoping this thread can help! I don't want to buy Nintendo's AC adapter because it's overpriced and bulky. It doesn't seem like it would fit in the case that comes with the BoTW Master Edition.

Does anyone know what I should be looking for in terms of specs for a USB wall plug? My wife and I only have iPhones and I'm 99% sure the plugs that come in the box won't be enough to charge the Switch unless it's turned off.

The small white plugs from apple will be too weak, the bigger chunky plugs you get with ipads will be perfect.

If you want to buy a usb plug for heavy charging you want to look for high wattage, for example this is a nice plug: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IB1RQ1A/

If I remember right, the smaller apple plugs are 5 watt and the larger ones for ipads are 11 watts.

SD Card: Sandisk 200GB UHS-1 Class MicroSD card.

$70. The UHS-1 speed class seems to guarantee a transfer rate of up to 300MB/s, so that should max out load times for the Switch depending on its storage controller (an iPhone 7 gets 400MB/s read speeds from its internal storage). Write speeds are guaranteed to be better than 10MB/s.

USB-C: I'm probably getting a second official AC adapter to use with my device. I was originally going to get a USB cable to plug into my phone's AC adapter plug, but charge time is going to depend on the AC adapter, and a 4310mAh battery will take forever off a plug designed to charge the 1500mAh phone that I have.

The iPad Pro 12" has a 10,307 mAh battery and takes different amounts of times depending on which power adapter you use:

2016-03-29-151023.jpeg

I imagine I wouldn't need to get a big SD card at launch. Might be good to wait till the end of the year where they usually have sales on larger capacity cards.
256GB is likely all you'll need as it holds like 20 copies of BOTW

Top Bottom