• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE should keep remaking older Fina Fantasy games

Go_Ly_Dow

The FF9 "remake" almost has to be more like a remaster. I think the FF7 treatment was a one time thing.
I think they'd stretch the FF7 treatment to 10 as it's popularity is big. The FF10 + 10-2 games are at over 20million sold between the original releases and the remaster.

Even if they do remake more games I don't think they'll do this multi game approach again.
VII is probably the most popular entry (alongside X, for some reason) and even with that people don't seem that excited about buying multiple parts.

I'd be happier if they actually make a NEW FF that isn't average at best for a change though.

For some reason? It's because 7 and X are the best FF games.

6, 8 and 9 I don't think are realistic candidates to remake them in one game to the same standards as FF7 Remake/Rebirth, but 10 I think is doable in one as the world is smaller all things considered. It's really just one large continent and a few big islands. Plenty of room to expand all the city's like Zanarkand, Luca and Bevelle too - all of which were quite limited in the game.

Imagine Blitzball on PS6. :messenger_sunglasses:

One long game, probably could be done if they don't expand on it and make wider zones. I don't think there are enough open areas in Spira to be interesting, though it would be nice for a little more freedom than FFX gave. I guess fast travel on the map would be enough.

Chrono Trigger or another Square RPG might be a better candidate for a single game remake.

If it took 3 games to remake FFVII, there's no way they do FFVI in just one entry lol. That being said, I would love it if that happened.

6 would be the absolute perfect candidate for a two-part game in the same vein as 7 Remake and Rebirth. It stands the most to gain for sure, experiencing that world in 3D with cutscenes, voice acting, etc.

I think they'd stretch the FF7 treatment to 10 as it's popularity is big. The FF10 + 10-2 games are at over 20million sold between the original releases and the remaster.

I don't really see a X-2 remake, probably isn't worth doing.

RagnarokIV

Only if they weren’t like Remake and Rebirth.

Drop the shit DBZ-tier filler and stop bullshitting that it’s not possible in one game.

If they remake them, I think something like Lost Odyssey should be the aim.

They need to learn english, hire a few people to read gaf OT/ other sites, take feedback from there.

I think they have a very different idea of what global audience wants vs what they deliver.

Now that they have sorted their tech stuff / production pipe line, about time they focus on game design.

What they need to do isn't remakes, it's re-imaginings like how Capcom have approached Resident Evil! Stranger of Paradise is a great start. It's a side story and prequel, setting up the relatively short first title.
SOP is a surprisingly fun game, which has such a dumb, cheesy atmosphere with some excellent gameplay.

Certain games should be a straight plot remake with extra bits. FF2,3 and 5 would benefit greatly from this! Remake the big set piece moments like the Clash on the Big Bridge, with an orchestra doing the music, and just go crazy with the rest of it and add new character moments like the FF7 remake.
FF4 could incorporate the After Years! 6 can just be a straight re-telling with amazing graphics! 8 could finally do justice to the Draw system idea!

Dundar

Drop the shit DBZ-tier filler and stop bullshitting that it’s not possible in one game.

Honestly, I was of the same opinion after Remake, but Rebirth.... well, it really proves a point to the "cannot be done in one game". Even ignoring all the filler, and having it as a 40/50h linear RPG (which IS possible), it would still be chock full of story, assets, cutscenes, one-off features and so on.
Adding Midgar to that AND basically Cd2 and 3 on a single game would be unfeasible at quality bar they're pursuing. Unless you start thinking 150-200h full AAA budget RPGs should be the norm. Which they aren't.
Lowering that quality bar, cutting something here and there, maybe 1 game would suffice. But it would not be the same type of experience.

Last edited:

Brigandier

More RPG remakes need to take a look at Star Ocean 2 and use/build on that formula.

Not every classic needs a 150m dollar AAA remake.

I'd love to see FF6 FF9 and Xenogears remade in SO2 style with a bit more of a SE budget twist to it, I don't know if FF8 would work though as it went for quite a realistic approach.

Yep do a capcom and have remake and the next entry going concurrently. Never played 6 but the final fantasy teams this gen finally shed their mediocrity era they can do it justice.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Give us bigger budget Octopath Traveler esque remakes for FF4 - FF6. Don't be afraid to change **** either like they did with Remake + Rebirth.

Chukhopops

I find it funny that whenever the battle system debate comes up Turn based never wins the poll but now the games are real time nobody seems to be buying them? It’s almost as if the original fans have moved over to games like persona/Smt.. 😂 SE are done. Go back to basics or die like the rest of the shill devs.
I think everyone who enjoys turn-based or ATB gameplay got the memo over the last ten years or so that Final Fantasy is no longer about that.

And since there are way more than enough turn-based games to enjoy, it doesn’t really feel like you’re missing out on FF.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Could you explain the delusion? Everyone wants AAA action final fantasy but sales figures are down. I don’t seem to understand the conclusion you’ve come to but to me it’s dead simple.

The fanbase that used to buy the games on release aren’t doing so anymore, because they don’t trust Square-Enix because there not the same company anymore and the franchise isn’t the same franchise anymore.

They’ve essentially forgotten what made them the JRPG powerhouse to begin with and it all stems from development choices gameplay being the key factor. So you can call me delusional but do the maths, FF as a franchise has had an identity crisis since 13 take a look at the rubbish they’ve released since then and the sales figures.

You are making assumptions from current daily players for Rebirth (while also ignoring the 7+ million sold for Remake on a system near the end of its life). You are comparing sales numbers of games that have been re-released 20+ times over 20-30 years to games that aren’t even a decade old. You make assumptions on what the fan base wants because that is what *you* want.

You haven’t done maths. You do not speak for the fan base.

Try again.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Final fantasy is fucking cooked.
Honestly, I think the IP is nearly spent. I think it really serves no purpose at this point but to help sales just from brand recognition.

Chocobos, someone named Cid, crystals and the same summons just isn't adding a lot right now. I think it actively drags down projects. I picture someone like Yoko Taro trying to make a mainline FF and I think it would possibly be his worst game, just because the baggage is too much at this point. "Oh he's being subversive by making it darker." We saw that with XVI, and Type-0. "Oh the crystals are evil." Yeah, we've seen it. I think the last truly interesting world building they did was XIII and X, and both those really have almost nothing in common with past FF tropes and could be new IP basically. Most of the spells are not even the same, or the summons. They really need to drop almost everything associated with this IP and try making new things.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Could you explain the delusion? Everyone wants AAA action final fantasy but sales figures are down. I don’t seem to understand the conclusion you’ve come to but to me it’s dead simple.

The fanbase that used to buy the games on release aren’t doing so anymore, because they don’t trust Square-Enix because there not the same company anymore and the franchise isn’t the same franchise anymore.

They’ve essentially forgotten what made them the JRPG powerhouse to begin with and it all stems from development choices gameplay being the key factor. So you can call me delusional but do the maths, FF as a franchise has had an identity crisis since 13 take a look at the rubbish they’ve released since then and the sales figures.
I can give you a laundry list of things I didn’t like about FF7 Remake and FF16. “Not being turn based” isn’t one of them.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
At least the visual and the concept design of XVI are top tier, the gameplay also good. What you said trash is not true for others, trash is harsh word, and is not respectable to say that for masterpiece of game art design and concept like square did to XVI.
My biggest problem with FFXVI was the rote sidequests: the way you get them (sitting through boring cut scenes of two or three people talking much of the time), the fact that they couldn't even take the time to render the items you were supposed to get: so the camera just cuts off Clive's hand as he picks them up or hands them over, and the sheer volume and repetitiveness of them.

The main story was great captivating, but the sidequests really started to sour my experience toward the end.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Honestly, I think the IP is nearly spent. I think it really serves no purpose at this point but to help sales just from brand recognition.

Chocobos, someone named Cid, crystals and the same summons just isn't adding a lot right now. I think it actively drags down projects. I picture someone like Yoko Taro trying to make a mainline FF and I think it would possibly be his worst game, just because the baggage is too much at this point. "Oh he's being subversive by making it darker." We saw that with XVI, and Type-0. "Oh the crystals are evil." Yeah, we've seen it. I think the last truly interesting world building they did was XIII and X, and both those really have almost nothing in common with past FF tropes and could be new IP basically. Most of the spells are not even the same, or the summons. They really need to drop almost everything associated with this IP and try making new things.
It makes you wonder how Persona and SMT seem to keep the momentum going, but I guess they aren't in the double digits yet.

SantaC

people who complain at FF7Rebirths sales figures; how about dropping the exclusivity? FF15 did just fine at multiplatform.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
people who complain at FF7Rebirths sales figures; how about dropping the exclusivity? FF15 did just fine at multiplatform.
Fine with me. I am sure it would have sold quite well on Steam. Certainly wouldn’t make much from Xbox though.

I don't know if they will go for IX now, given Rebirth's disappointing sales. And I'm saying this as someone who is loving every minute of Rebirth.
Rebirth has lower sales, and it was a given. FF7 should not of been split apart. I never finished ff7 remake, and have other games to play. I won't buy rebirth until i finish remake. I played ff7 in the 90s and have replayed it multiple times. I can wait. I'd rather play dragon dogma2, unicorn overlord, and manor lords, bg3, etc... games I haven't played before first. Especially for a $70 price tag, I can wait for a sale.

People who havent' played remake, won't buy rebirth, people that didn't like remake won't buy rebirth.
Its guaranteed to not sell as well. This should of been forseen as it's not a new game.
The original ff7 was 3 disks, they should of waited and released the whole thing for $70, I think more would of bought it if complete.

As for ff9, meh... its the one ff game I never really played. The kiddie human characters, balloon like monster characters really turned me off. I loved the medieval settings of the original ff games (played them in the 80s - early 90s, but by the time ff9 was out, I had just gotten done ff8 and it was a more mature title. I was 21 at the time and I wasn't digging it. Tried years later and bought the remaster but still haven't played it.
Now remake ff4, ff5, ff6 or ff8 and I am down. As long as its not woktified, or they get rid of turn based battles.

Last edited:
Been saying that for years. Just a 1:1 remake, with better mechanics. God, i still watch VS movie every month during work…
YESSSSSS.... Vagrant story and Parasite eve. Square is retarted not doing anything with those franchises. What are they afraid of?

Add in some Brave fencer musashi in there too (fun action adventure game on ps1) and would be awesome.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I feel like Final Fantasy VII Remake shouldn’t be included in this conversation because it’s not a remake. It’s some expanded universe Tetsuya Nomura fan fiction.

Just use Rebirth as blueprint going forward.

I don't care if it's a new game, remake reboot whatever.

They can take the framework they have in so many different directions with plenty of room for creativity.

I never again want to hear " Final Fantasy can be whatever the creators of the time think it should be"

That's horseshit. Like it or not FF is a brand and brands come with expectations.

If you don't like that make a fucking new IP you get to use the FF brand to fund your own vanity project.

Svejk

I think other SE games should get some too...
Can't say how long I've been yearning for Xenogears, Brave Fencer Musashi, Einhander and Parasite Eve Remakes.

Fbh

For some reason? It's because 7 and X are the best FF games.

Well opinions and all.
I like 4, 6 and 9 more than X.

X has a pretty fun combat system but Tidus is one of the worst protagonists (not as bad as Vaan though) and in general I think the cast is pretty weak. Yuna is the only good character...and I guess Auron looks cool

WoJ

Final Fantasy is the last IP they should be remaking everything. We just got pixel remasters which were great.

Give us remasters/remakes of stuff like Parasite Eve, Vagrant Story, and Xenogears in the Star Ocean 2 style. And finish disc 2 of XG.

And give us a compilation of DQ games remastered or re-released on consoles. I'd love for DQ1-6 to get the pixel re-release, spruce up the 3DS version of 7 for consoles and then give us a proper DQ8 remaster on consoles.

Maybe by then SE will know how to make a good new IP again.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.

At some point you have to wonder when the diehard fans will simply just give up and find another RPG series to obsess over. It hasn't been that AAA turn based RPG game for years and modern RPGs like Octopath, SMT, Persona, Baldurs Gate 3 etc have all surpassed even the best entries in certain aspects. Let it be its own original thing and maybe it'll find a newer audience.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
At some point you have to wonder when the diehard fans will simply just give up and find another RPG series to obsess over. It hasn't been that AAA turn based RPG game for years and modern RPGs like Octopath, SMT, Persona, Baldurs Gate 3 etc have all surpassed even the best entries in certain aspects. Let it be its own original thing and maybe it'll find a newer audience.
I have complicated feelings for the series at this point. It makes sense why people stick with it since any game can be a new thing so you just never really know. I just think that after this many years the tiny threads of requirements (crystals, Cid, summons, chocobos) barely are adding anything. Might as well just go a tiny step further and make it a new IP. At least do that more often.

Top Bottom