• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves will launch with an optional 540p mode and 15fps lock

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
nick-young-confused-face-300x256_nqlyaa.jpg

I mean why would anyone react badly to this news. Not like they said the game will only run at 15fps.

Guess one can play it on a toaster so that's nice. If people want it, give it to the people.

JimmyF

This is great, finally a developer that recognizes super cinematic. But why stop there? We all know the real money is in extreme super cinematic at 5 fps and 144p.

hotcyder

Don't see the reason for immediate dog piles.

The majority of PC gamers don't have the accordance for high performing hardware, and some even play games on low-end hardware like netbooks and compute sticks.

This might seem gimmicky on the surface, but I can imagine a lot of people who can finally play the game thanks to these options. Heck - if it would let it run on my surface, I'm totally set to give it a try.

The fact that they're supporting every audience, not just the high end, shows that they're obviously taking this game seriously as a multiplayer title; and that's given me way more respect for them.

Also helps I think this sort of stuff is very neat. LowSpecGamer on YT is a pretty big advocate for getting games to run on low end hardware: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQkd05iAYed2-LOmhjzDG6g

edit:

I would actually like a 720/sub720p optional mode with 60 fps in every game

Preach - especially with support for window mode (which is how I play games anyways)

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Well, I have seen a lot of gamers bitching that since the release of PS4 Pro that develoeprs aren't providing enough resolution options, so... we're getting there!

The majority of PC gamers don't have the accordance for high performing hardware, and some even play games on low-end hardware like netbooks and compute sticks.

This might seem gimmicky on the surface, but I can imagine a lot of people who can finally play the game thanks to these options. Heck - if it would let it run on my surface, I'm totally set to give it a try.

The fact that they're supporting every audience, not just the high end, shows that they're obviously taking this game seriously as a multiplayer title; and that's given me way more respect for them.

Also helps I think this sort of stuff is very neat. LowSpecGamer on YT is a pretty big advocate for getting games to run on low end hardware: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQkd05iAYed2-LOmhjzDG6g

I think this guy hit the nail on the head
It's for kids with integrated graphics because mom or dad don't want or are not able to buy a dedicated card.

KingBroly

Banned
I'm more interested in seeing it at 540p instead of 15fps

I do appreciate that they put in the N64-level of quality framerate, though.

SilentRob

Yeah, this sounds like throwing out a quote to try and ensure the game gets mentioned in the news.

"Hey, fuck! We need to get into the news!!! UUuuuhh...should we announce another feature?"
"Naaaah"
"Well, what then?! Maybe a interview with Eurogamer or something?
"Eeeeh..."
"Jesus christ, alright, how about us talking about how our game has a built-in-feature to run at low framerates if the users wants so that GAF can throw a hissyfit? Everyone hates low fps, right?"
"PERFECT"

You guys...sometimes this forum just confuses me.

ResoRai

It's so kids can play on really crappy PCs I guess. Well, if they want to, whatever, good or them.
Weird decision, but I guess I can see it. My younger brother was fine playing through GTA 5 on my laptop at like 18 fps, though at 1080p.

Huh, actually that reminds me he also played The Forest with a friend at 540p (i think, was below 720p for sure) a couple years back and they had fun. At least they were able to get over 30 fps though.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Awesome, that makes it easier to jump into Sea of Thieves after a riveting session of Virtua Racing on the Sega Genesis.

Kayant

I guess options are nice then again the people that asked for this would know how to limit their framerate with tools like rtss.

Edit -

Actually thinking about things if this is going to be an option in settings then it should be a framerate limit that you see in games like OW/RL otherwise seems shortsighted. Same for 540p.

PillarEN

Optional frame rate caps are neat though. Especially if gameplay was tied to a framerate. Not the case here, I know, but I'm talking in general.

Doesn't capping a framerate also help prevent screen tearing on the PC? As in as long as the framerate doesn't go above the refresh rate of the monitor the screen shouldn't tear? Or am I wrong again here.

Admodieus

They're trying to reach a wide audience with this game, and that includes people whose computers are not "gaming PCs" and probably have integrated GPUs. This mode is for those people, not NeoGAF posters.

Alx

You are on GAF. Think beyond this. Think lower specs PCs that the majority has. It's not rocket science folks.

Seriously, I can't understand how disconnected some people here seem to be. Did everybody have a gaming rig as the family PC when they were kids ?
And looking at the laptops most students are carrying around, I'm pretty sure those are more specced for running a word editor than a 3D game.

Get more people to play on lower specs. That's pretty cool. Not sure why people are scoffing?

lmao this forum can be so damn ridiculous sometimes, I love it. There are actually people considering this as Rare being desperate for news attention lol, instead of seeing the bigger picture that now toasters can play Sea of Thieves too.

How many read the article? They said this is for people with low-end rigs who can play sub-HD, and probably to incorporate kids whose parents don't have high-end PCs. It's not for core gamers.

That said, I still thought almost every reply ITT was hilarious. =P

AllEchse

edit:

Preach - especially with support for window mode (which is how I play games anyways)

Resolution options are nothing new in PC games.
It wouldnt be news worthy talk about.
This is just a gimmick with a joke about "cinematic fps" to get people to talk about it.

MadMod

I'm very confused about this? But I guess it widens the spectrum of consumers being able to play the game. I'm just confused about its ability to be playable, personally I'd feel slightly off with that much stutter in my game, as well as the resolution.

Alx

I'm very confused about this? But I guess it widens the spectrum of consumers being able to play the game. I'm just confused about its ability to be playable, personally I'd feel slightly off with that much stutter in my game, as well as the resolution.

Low framerate isn't stutter. As a matter of fact, offering a locked 15 fps mode is meant to make sure there is no stutter.

leeh

I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have any hardware in their lives which can do better than this mode.

Top Bottom