• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Season Passes: This is how they should be done

xSSQzqxVgilJlRz5iheAGaeWo_vR2IQS.png

I believe Mario Kart 8's DLC was done wonderfully well.

2 DLC Packs with enough content to fill an extra half of the game for $12!

half a game of content? how many tracks/modes were included in the DLC?

oni-link

If you consider $11.99 for 30 costumes to be a great deal then I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you

I can get entire games for that price

For perspective: Mario Kart 8's season pass adds 16 new courses, in gorgeous HD, for $12. And you get Link.

On the GCN or N64, 16 courses would cost you $50.

MK8 as a base game includes 32 courses. The DLC bumps that to 48. Four times as many as what the original games offered.

Ridiculous value.

Jarrod38

When Black Ops 3 came out this was the first time I passed on that season pass. The only one I'll buy this year will be Battlefield One. One of the few passes worth it.

Forza Horizon 3 post release and extra content is expensive and confusing. There's a car pass, a VIP pass, and an expansion pass. All it does is make me not want to buy any of it

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Well it used to be that way.

WTF are you talking about?

Expansion packs for games have rarely ever been free.

Games like Unreal Tournament had the occasional mappack for free and that is all well and good, but that situation is not remotely comparable to today.

Klart

The Season Pass for Pirate Warriors 3, costs only $11.99 and comes with all of these:

This is so crazy! I know some of the costumes are returning from earlier titles but still, to offer almost 30 costumes for that price, it's an insane dial.

Really? Costumes? I first thought those were all new characters, which would've been great.

But costumes; it's the same character with the same moves & everything, it just looks a bit different. No thanks.

Driveclub had a great season pass.

kuroneco

People have different values and appreciations.

If you want spend money on digital items rather than solid contents, that's up to you. However, to me that is just as same as throw money in gacha type of mobile games, or MMOs.
Which is something I dislike to see in console games.

The lockable contents used to be appreciation or a bonus from the developers to its fans in the beginning but now this artist/fan kind relationship is no longer a main focus of this industry. If producers don't make money, they are gone. What the stockholders want is always the opposite of what gamers need.

More people would buy the game. It doesn't disappear from store shelves.

So what do you mean, exactly, you think DLC for a game is going to somehow sell that game to enough people who weren't interested in buying it to begin with to warrant expenses? I don't know, I get the idea you're going with there, but I feel like it's a much riskier idea than selling DLC to the pre-existing base

Cels

witcher 3 season pass
dishonored season pass (don't like the city trials though but knife of dunwall and brigmore witches made it good)
bioshock infinite (don't like clash in the clouds, but burial at sea 1 and 2 were worth it)

i'm a fan of extending already solid games with substantial single player content, fluffing up the season pass "value" with costumes and trite extra modes is not the way to go.

Hardly because of the season pass

well, i'd have to think the closure was related to the way driveclub was handled -- game was delayed, then when it launched the online was garbage, and the ps+ version was delayed too, launching like 10 months after with little fanfare since excitement had died down

if anything the season pass and the updates after the terrible launch proved that evolution were willing to put in all the efforts to make things right, but sony decided it was too little too late

half a game of content? how many tracks/modes were included in the DLC?

For perspective: Mario Kart 8's season pass adds 16 new courses, in gorgeous HD, for $12. And you get Link.

On the GCN or N64, 16 courses would cost you $50.

MK8 as a base game includes 32 courses. The DLC bumps that to 48. Four times as many as what the original games offered.

Ridiculous value.

I believe NinjaCoachZ has got your answer. It's insane. Plus, the replayability is added even more with the free 200CC update.

Really? Costumes? I first thought those were all new characters, which would've been great.

But costumes; it's the same character with the same moves & everything, it just looks a bit different. No thanks.

Driveclub had a great season pass.
The game already has 37 characters from the get go. What more they can add?

Also, it's 30 costumes and 8-10 missions. One of which adds a new island in Dream Log which challenges you to fight with 8-10k enemies at the same time!

I think for $11.99 that's ridiculous amount of value. Especially when you consider that some fighter like SFV or DoA5 respectively charge $3.99 and $1.99 for a single costume.

Also, I agree. DC's Season Pass is amazing.

So what do you mean, exactly, you think DLC for a game is going to somehow sell that game to enough people who weren't interested in buying it to begin with to warrant expenses? I don't know, I get the idea you're going with there, but I feel like it's a much riskier idea than selling DLC to the pre-existing base

Continued support keeps attention on a game. That's why PC games like TF2 and Counter Strike, as well as new digitally distributed titles like Shovel Knight and Minecraft simply sold the base game for years and managed to be profitable just fine.

Games do not disappear from store shelves once DLC releases. Of course, this is less immediately profitable than selling DLC, but the devs are definitely not "working for free".

Lunar15

The only two "season passes" I've ever bought were the Mario Kart 8 DLC pack and the Witcher 3 Season Pass for the two DLC's.

Those are the only two season passes I've ever bought because the developers demonstrated clear value that matched reasonable pricing. Niether felt like things that were ripped out of the original game to sell back to me, they both felt like considerable expansions to content. Mario Kart's season pass nearly doubled the game's content for only 11 bucks. Witcher 3's season pass ended up containing almost 60-70 hours of brand new content.

shoreu

Season passes should come in free updates after the games release

Yup. Just like halo just like rainbow

Unless its single player. Then I need a detailed list of what they want to add. And don't raise the price on the shit.

Gxgear

So far I've only felt certain RPG's gave people their money's worth (Souls and Witcher). Even Borderlands' seems lught with The Pre-Sequel.

KTO

Continued support keeps attention on a game. That's why PC games like TF2 and Counter Strike, as well as new digitally distributed titles like Shovel Knight and Minecraft simply sold the base game for years and managed to be profitable just fine.

Games do not disappear from store shelves once DLC releases. Of course, this is less immediately profitable than selling DLC, but the devs are definitely not "working for free".

Shovel knight's updates were stretch goals from their kickstarter and were paid for up front. CS and TF2 have a much different business model than a AAA console game. Were you serious with any of this?

Mathieran

Banned
Witcher 3 did it best. They set the gold standard and so far everyone else pales in comparison. They even added stuff for free updates that most companies would have charged like 20 bucks for.

Well, I mean, there you go. Companies will always lean towards the easier and more immediate path over the riskier one. And even if the games don't disappear off the shelf, it doesn't guarantee a spotlight will be on randomly be on them because DLC is released

Pompadour

Season Passes should just be called something else. 90% of the outrage over Season Passes come from the expectation of what a "season" entails and the expectation that the pass entitles the customer to whatever content is released during the time frame they believe constitutes a "season."

So they should just call it DLC Pack #1 or whatever and list what's included ahead of time.

Lucifon

A season pass full of costumes seems like a terrible season pass to me. If I ended up buying one which was mostly just a bunch of skins I'd be super pissed.

cooldawn

I must be misunderstanding this because $12 for costumes and a few quests is a rip-off and it's the reason developers and publishers can get away with content for a high price because people will still buy it...and think it's value.

My god, that's terrible. Gobsmacked.

Zemm

Are there people in here that seriously think stuff like Blood and Wine and The Old Hunters should be free?

For single player focused games, I want my season passes to, first and foremost, include new campaigns. All of the other things, like costumes or skins, booster packs to multiplayer modes, weapon skins, currency, etc. are nice bonuses (I'm a sucker for customization), but I hate when season pass prices are only deals if you actually consider that you might buy those things.

For fighting games, I'm a little more lenient to bad pricing of bundles when there are things like tournament support DLC. $2 for a skin or $10 for a character seem outrageous to me in most games, but if it's going towards a pot bonus somewhere, I'm all of a sudden fine with it. But I guess that's moving outside the scope of "season passes."

KTO

Season Passes should just be called something else. 90% of the outrage over Season Passes come from the expectation of what a "season" entails and the expectation that the pass entitles the customer to whatever content is released during the time frame they believe constitutes a "season."

So they should just call it DLC Pack #1 or whatever and list what's included ahead of time.

I do agree that practice would be shitty and I'm not trying to call you out, but is there an example of any game that has ever not outlined what would be included in the season pass before putting it up for sale?

Tain

Well it used to be that way.

Outside of major PC developers in the late 90s and early 2000s, was it really the norm? I don't remember that being the case. For every Half-Life or UT there were countless games with either nothing or a paid expansion pack.

Not arguing that DLC is a generally good value, of course. I'm extremely selective with it.

5taquitos

At first I thought the image you posted was all the characters that came with the SP. That's a pretty good value!

But it's just skins. lol, no thanks.

Shovel knight's updates were stretch goals from their kickstarter and were paid for up front. CS and TF2 have a much different business model than a AAA console game. Were you serious with any of this?

I didn't know the discussion was limited to AAA console games. Though I'm not surprised since people are talking about how games never got updated before dlc.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Agreed on the quality of the Driveclub season pass. They were upfront with a complete timeline of content, all delivered as promised and I think most would agree even at an even higher quality than expected.

It's a shame what happened to Evolution because they (after a terrible launch) proved themselves to be principled and hardworking developers.

Saying that a season pass is good value because it includes 30 costumes at a reasonable price implies that there is a reasonable price for costumes. I'm not sure I agree with that (outside of F2P games).

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Feels like you're setting your standards low. 11 bucks for 30 customes does not feel like a good deal especially when I look at just slightly higher priced souls dlc, witcher dlc.
Those show how it should be handled.

Season passes with unclear future content = Terrible.

Paying for new content after a game has released = Totally reasonable.

This isn't some sort of new concept, and the idea that devs should keep working on their game in perpetuity without every getting paid beyond "new buyers" isn't a reasonable request.

And OP, your costume pack? That's worth single digit dollars at most given that it doesn't actually effect the game. Charged for content should still be meaningful. (Which is simply my personal opinion. People can spend their money on whatever they want.)

Arkeband

Banned

However, they implemented it in a very intrusive way - unlike Smash Bros which just adjusts its CSS when you expand its roster, Mario Kart 8 filled up your character and track selection with links to the eShop. There's nothing worse than playing a game and having it shoved in your face that your game is currently incomplete.

Even Hyrule Warriors leaves out menu options and character selects that haven't been purchased and leaves the eShop link way out on the main menu. It isn't constantly advertising to you what you're missing.

Top Bottom