• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle Seahawks consider team-wide national anthem protest at NFL opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
More here.

The Guardian said:
The Seattle Seahawks are considering following Colin Kaepernick and making a protest of their own before their NFL opener against Miami on Sunday.

A number of Seahawks players said they had been discussing their options, and suggested they might be prepared to take a team-wide stand before the weekend’s game.

Seahawks cornerback Jeremy Lane, who sat for the national anthem during the Seahawks-Raiders pre-season game last Thursday, said he will continue not to stand, while receiver Doug Baldwin and linebacker Bobby Wagner said they had discussed a protest in the locker room.

Wagner said nothing had yet been decided. But he added: “Anything we want to do, it’s not going to be individual. It’s going to be a team thing. That’s what the world needs to see. The world needs to see people coming together versus being individuals.” He added: “Whatever we decide to do will be a big surprise.”

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he has talked to Lane, who confirmed he will be “standing behind Kaepernick”, and that the team is fine with whatever he decides to do. “He’s pretty clear on what he did and what he was trying to express and I think it is very simple and so we’ll leave that up to him,” Carroll said. “But he understands the responsibility of it, I think, and shouldering it.’’

There won't be enough hot takes in the world if this happens. Good on Carroll for supporting their decision.

Good luck to them..they'll be the most hated team in the NFL..after those cheating Patriots!

giphy.gif

That will go over well especially with the opener being on 9/11.

Baldwin touches on that:

Baldwin said:
“I think that anybody should be thinking about that,” Baldwin said. “Even if it wasn’t 11 September, the point of the protest is to get people to think. I think it’s ironic that 15 years ago is one of the most devastating times in US history, and after that day we were probably the most unified that we’ve ever been. And today you struggle to see the unity.”

riotous

Banned
Almost every game I hear people getting screamed at for not taking their hats off during the anthem; Seahawks games are full of patriotic types.

I'd bet there would be boos. Seattle is liberal as hell but you go 20 minutes North or South and you'll see plenty of massive trucks flying American flags with TRUMP stickers.

Palmer_v1

I'm kind of annoyed that he's implying a lone person protesting isn't worthwhile, when that is exactly what led to these guys even considering a team-wide protest.

Regardless, I hope they do it.

cdyhybrid

I'm kind of annoyed that he's implying a lone person protesting isn't worthwhile, when that is exactly what led to these guys even considering a team-wide protest.

Regardless, I hope they do it.
Who is implying that? Carroll? I don't think that's what he's saying at all.

Juicy Bob

Respect for anyone willing to make a statement like this on such a massive stage.

Takes a lot of guts to do that knowing you're going to face a deluge of criticism. But it's only through people doing stuff like this that you can hope to keep the issue in the mainstream public discourse.

Darn unpatriotic hawks. Disgrace to our beloved vets. The national anthem is no time to voice your opinion or have dissenting thoughts. You're supposed to stand and blindly support your country no matter whats wrong with it.

cdyhybrid

Almost every game I hear people getting screamed at for not taking their hats off during the anthem; Seahawks games are full of patriotic types.

I'd bet there would be boos. Seattle is liberal as hell but you go 20 minutes North or South and you'll see plenty of massive trucks flying American flags with TRUMP stickers.
Good. Hopefully they give up their tickets. Then maybe I can go to a game without camping out overnight or paying $300 for tickets.

Palmer_v1

Who is implying that? Carroll? I don't think that's what he's saying at all.

Wagner, I think:

Wagner said nothing had yet been decided. But he added: “Anything we want to do, it’s not going to be individual. It’s going to be a team thing. That’s what the world needs to see. The world needs to see people coming together versus being individuals.” He added: “Whatever we decide to do will be a big surprise.”

I'm probably just being nitpicky about his phrasing. While coming together to protest is probably more impactful, it takes a lot more strength to be the lone voice.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I wonder how dipshits are gonna react to an entire team doing this. There's only gonna be more players doing these protests as time goes on.

inner-G

Banned

I live 30 min south and you see both. We're by JBLM(military base) so there's a big vet/military population around here too. That said, there are also a lot of liberal people too. It's a mix.

cdyhybrid

Wagner, I think:

I'm probably just being nitpicky about his phrasing. While coming together to protest is probably more impactful, it takes a lot more strength to be the lone voice.
Ah. I think he's just saying they'd rather do a team protest than a bunch of individual ones at the same time.

Palmer_v1

I wonder how dipshits are gonna react to an entire team doing this. There's only gonna be more players doing these protests as time goes on.

I want to see some Hallmark movie tier sappiness where the entire stadium slowly sits back down after seeing the Seahwaks protesting.

nicanica

“Anything we want to do, it’s not going to be individual. It’s going to be a team thing. That’s what the world needs to see. The world needs to see people coming together versus being individuals.” He added: “Whatever we decide to do will be a big surprise.”

Please please PLEASE come out dressed as ghosts to scare everyone during the national anthem.

riotous

Banned
I live 30 min south and you see both. We're by JBLM(military base) so there's a big vet/military population around here too. That said, there are also a lot of liberal people too. It's a mix.

Sure; you'll find some liberal people everywhere.

But it's a completely different political culture overall than Seattle.

Call me crazy but I think this is something that may have been far more impactful had it not been announced beforehand.

Still, good for them.

atr0cious

Fuck Kaepernick for making me like the Seahawks!

But seriously this is great and I hope they follow through. Hope this catches fire and whole sidelines are sitting. Goodell's wig would melt off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom