• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle Seahawks consider team-wide national anthem protest at NFL opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Kap doing this was bad, certified ThugTM Richard Sherman doing it would make the worlds head explode.

So naturally I hope it happens.

Fitts

It's odd that players from other teams are joining Kaepernick's protest of Gabbert taking his job, but they're free to do what they want.

ezrarh

If Kap doing this was bad, certified ThugTM Richard Sherman doing it would make the worlds head explode.

So naturally I hope it happens.

I wish for that to happen. If we can't talk to white people about racism, then the only other option is to make heads explode. Figuratively of course.

Wonder how Russel Wilson will approach this. The guy is OJ-levels of brand protection over everything.

FTFY

That documentary 'Made In America' made me think of Russell, immediately when it came to stances on social issues.

Bomani Jones lit his ass up after he came on 'The Right Time' to promote shavers or some shit awhile ago.

Nate Boyer ‏@NateBoyer37 1h1 hour ago United States

Talked to the @Seahawks What the team will do is a powerful sign of unification + respect for the Anthem + those that fight for our Freedom!

I don't believe they will sit down.

From what I gather, they will have pictures of victims in their hands during the anthem.

Edit: I heard Baldwin on local Seattle radio a week ago agree with Kaepernick's decision to protest, but thought there could be another way.

From what I gather, they will have pictures of victims in their hands during the anthem.

Edit: I heard Baldwin on local Seattle radio a week ago agree with Kaepernick's decision to protest, but thought there could be another way.

If they'd sit down and do that it would draw attention.

Them just standing with the pictures will be ignored and forgotten.

mike6467

God, reading the Facebook posts under the trending header for this were depressing. Fuck.

I'm in Denver, and I'm supposed to go watch the Broncos game with my brothers later, it's one of the things we do to keep in touch. One of whom I'm sure will be doing his best "I'm not racist....but..." spiel. Really dreading it because I haven't seen them in a year, and I'd like to have a good night, but I'm not sure I'll be able to sit through that.

Tigress

Good on them, but they'd best brace for impact.

Yeah I heard about this from some guy bitching about it on FB (not a friend but a friend commented on it so I got to see it). And everyone agreeing with him (and I'm pretty sure the guy was a local <- I live near Seattle so people here are generally supportive of them). He was griping that they have a right to protest but he will protest them.

One of the most annoying arguements he used was that they were rich. As if that is a reason not to help stand up for other people. Or that if it doesn't affect you you should just ignore it.

God, reading the Facebook posts under the trending header for this were depressing. Fuck.

I'm in Denver, and I'm supposed to go watch the Broncos game with my brothers later, it's one of the things we do to keep in touch. One of whom I'm sure will be doing his best "I'm not racist....but..." spiel. Really dreading it because I haven't seen them in a year, and I'd like to have a good night, but I'm not sure I'll be able to sit through that.

I'm sorry you have to feel uncomfortable, but hell if it ain't got people talking.

Now most people aren't talking about the right things, but it's a start.

Please don't let your brother be misinformed, if you've got the guts to get a little uncomfortable call him out on his shit.

Meanwhile

Nate Boyer &#8207;@NateBoyer37 1h1 hour ago United States

Talked to the @Seahawks What the team will do is a powerful sign of unification + respect for the Anthem + those that fight for our Freedom!

Can't wait for it to be nothing.

atr0cious

If this is true, over/under on a slain cop being in the pictures?

I don't see the problem with it if it's about unity,

Unity of what?

This isn't some scenario where it is 1:1. Police over reach is the issue here and their demonstrably different treatment of certain members of society.

Criminals killing officers is not something you can point to as a source of unity unless you are saying every person's death that was protested over was a an offset to a police officer's demise.

&#8220;Anything we want to do, it&#8217;s not going to be individual. It&#8217;s going to be a team thing. That&#8217;s what the world needs to see. The world needs to see people coming together versus being individuals.&#8221; He added: &#8220;Whatever we decide to do will be a big surprise.&#8221;

please reveal hidden #BLM shirts

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Has anyone asked why we put so much patriotism in our sports to begin with? Why in the blessed fuck do we sing the national anthem at a sporting even in the first place?

Werd

Has anyone asked why we put so much patriotism in our sports to begin with? Why in the blessed fuck do we sing the national anthem at a sporting even in the first place?

The one that gets to me a bit is that a lot of MLB teams play "God Bless America" in the 7th inning stretch and have the TV broadcast skip the commercial break to show it. Of course they also have the National Anthem before the game.

Does seem a bit over the top.

Gorillaz

Now THAT would tip alot of stuff instead of kap just doing this and a few dudes who don't have any real clout.

An entire team pulling that off. Imagine hearing the Hawk front office that next morning lol

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Would be amazing if this happens. I can't see Russell Wilson doing it though, he's that "model minority" type of dude.

-d0hv

mike6467

Already have a relative on Facebook saying they'll buy a Seahawks jersey if the team stands up for America. Using that exact language. I need to get off Facebook.

I'm sorry you have to feel uncomfortable, but hell if it ain't got people talking.

Now most people aren't talking about the right things, but it's a start.

Please don't let your brother be misinformed, if you've got the guts to get a little uncomfortable call him out on his shit.

Yeah, I've gotten into it with him on this stuff before. I'll say my piece to him again though, all I can hope is that it'll contribute to mounting evidence he's seeing.

An impressive thing would be if players wore the names of the people they are protesting on behalf of, on their jerseys instead of their own names ala GARNER RICE BLAND on the back.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy

Think people are forgetting that Boyer played for the Seahawks, so the team is probably thinking about this a lot more than most. Not many other teams have had someone from the military actually on their team.

Would be amazing if this happens. I can't see Russell Wilson doing it though, he's that "model minority" type of dude.

-d0hv

Surprised it took this long for the veiled Uncle Tom shots at Russell.

An impressive thing would be if players wore the names of the people they are protesting on behalf of, on their jerseys instead of their own names ala GARNER RICE BLAND on the back.

I hope they bring the families of those killed out with them.

Tom Nook

Like this maybe?
england-kneel_3115240b.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom