• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Second handheld only Switch game is Severed

The selling point of the system is that games can be played on the TV or portably. If it can only be played on the TV, that's not good. If it can only be played portably, that's not good, either. I would bet that if the next Pokemon game came out on the system and it could only be played portably, there would be a huge outcry to that.

...This ain't Pokémon, man. This is an indie game that's only available on platforms with touchscreens.

This is a platform with a touchscreen.

Chill out.

v1perz53

I think the idea of handheld only games is perfectly fine, but the messaging needs to be clear, seems like an eShop issue not having an obvious "no TV play" message or something. To me, TV only games are more of a "problem" than handheld only games if they were to ever become a thing. Since every person playing switch on a TV has the ability to play it as a handheld, but not every person playing it as a handheld has the ability to play it on a TV (since you can technically own a switch without even owning a TV, or it is a family TV that you can't always use).

Not allowing handheld only games means Switch could never get any games with touch screen controls without requiring the dev to come up with some shitty solution, and there's no reason to limit the types of games coming to a system artificially because some special snowflakes want to see things on a bigger screen.

I'm not angry, but I don't like that games don't work in all modes.

Wait, how do you know the vast majority of NS owners use the system portably? I'd like to see some data on this.

No, you don't actually wanna see any data. You just wanna take your ball and run away because you said something indefensibly stupid and now you are trying to double down on it.

I don't have to present data that the vast majority of Switch owners use the system as it is advertised to be used, because I didn't actually assert that
obviously true
statement. I only said the minority would be dictating to the majority for no reason, which is factually what you are claiming should happen.

To defend your claim, you would have to present data showing that a significant portion of Switch owners believe that any game requiring touch controls should be prohibited from sale. Period. It has nothing to do with how anyone actually uses the system, because you didn't say, "Hey I don't use the system that way, this sucks." You said that it makes no difference to people who don't play handheld, so it should not be available on the system for anyone.

That is an asinine perspective.

I think the idea of handheld only games is perfectly fine, but the messaging needs to be clear, seems like an eShop issue not having an obvious "no TV play" message or something.

To me I think it's sort of forcing dock-only people to try out portable mode at an extended period of time to win them over. I had a handful of friends say they were going dock-only, only to have handheld mode take up a majority of their play time because of their schedule.

EDarkness

No, you don't actually wanna see any data. You just wanna take your ball and run away because you said something indefensibly stupid and now you are trying to double down on it.

I don't have to present data that the vast majority of Switch owners use the system as it is advertised to be used, because I didn't actually assert that
obviously true
statement. I only said the minority would be dictating to the majority for no reason, which is factually what you are claiming should happen.

To defend your claim, you would have to present data showing that a significant portion of Switch owners believe that any game requiring touch controls should be prohibited from sale. Period. It has nothing to do with how anyone actually uses the system, because you didn't say, "Hey I don't use the system that way, this sucks." You said that it makes no difference to people who don't play handheld, so it should not be available on the system for anyone.

That is an asinine perspective.

Chill, man. I haven't changed my point of view. Some people use the system portable only and some use the system docked only. This is a fact. My opinion is that if the game can't be used in either mode, then it shouldn't get released. We're all talking about opinions, and I've stated mine. You don't like it, that's fine, but it doesn't and won't change my point of view on this.

I mean it's a touchscreen game, what do you expect?

Fine with me. No reason to shut out an entire pay style just because you can't translate it into conventional controls.

Terrell

It's important not to take the designations provided on eShop as complete gospel. Use Your Words lists as tabletop and handheld mode only, but the game doesn't use the touchscreen at all and can be played in TV mode.

Nintendo would be foolish to prevent a game from coming to their platform just because it can't be played in docked mode. All Switch users are capable of playing this game in handheld mode. This is a non-issue.

I'm okay with it not coming to the system if it means that those who only play the system docked can't play it. I mean, it might as well not come out for those who don't use their system that way. Again, if the game was docked only, people would be upset about that.
Aren't you the guy who made that thread about the lack of games coming to the Switch?

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
The game had good concept, visuals, ideas etc but the touchscreen controls killed it for me, i was fine when enemies were all on the same screen, but when i arrived to the point of being surrounded by enemies and i had to constantly rotate the camera left and right(fights are in real time, not turn based) it started to be really annoying(honestly it was never really fun to begin with imo) so i left it.

I'm okay with it not coming to the system if it means that those who only play the system docked can't play it.

nathanfillion.gif

I can't believe I gotta point this out to you.

Okay, here it goes.
People who play the system docked CAN play Severed, actually.
All they have to do...
is remove their Switch
from the dock.
Switch can do that, actually.
In fact, that's why they call it Switch.

ryushe

This is a non-issue... But then again, I play my Switch in handheld mode 90% of the time.

I'm glad that they're doing this though. It only means more games will be released for this thing.

guyssorry

If it means that certain touch-only games can be released on the Switch, then I have zero issues with games that can only be played out of the dock. Not a big deal.

I'm okay with it not coming to the system if it means that those who only play the system docked can't play it. I mean, it might as well not come out for those who don't use their system that way. Again, if the game was docked only, people would be upset about that.
That's an arbitrary restriction on the switch barring someone having a disability that gives them trouble with touch screen controls. Everyone who as access to the Switch has access to playing this game.

To me I think iit's sort of forcing dock-only people to try out portable mode at an extended period of time to win them over. I had a handful of friends say they were going dock-only, only to have handheld mode take up a majority of their play time because of their schedule.

This doesn't make any sense, it's implying people just don't know that they like handheld. Most of us who play docked exclusively do so because we have no interest or use for handheld mode.

As for the person you quoted, I agree it needs to be very clearly labelled in the shop. But I have no problem with situations like this. I'd rather handheld folks get to buy this game than not have it on the system at all.

Chill, man. I haven't changed my point of view. Some people use the system portable only and some use the system docked only. This is a fact. My opinion is that if the game can't be used in either mode, then it shouldn't get released. We're all talking about opinions, and I've stated mine. You don't like it, that's fine, but it doesn't and won't change my point of view on this.

The bolded statements are platitudes. This is a fact.

Your ridiculous opinion is not somehow free from criticism or derision just because it is an opinion. This is a fact.

You are hiding behind bullshit rationalizations because it is somehow easier for you to do that than to just type, "Yeah, I guess what I said doesn't really make any sense." This is my opinion. It is subject to change based on logic and reason presented in a thoughtful argument.

wrowa

I don't understand why it can't just mirror the screen in handheld mode

Seems like a huge oversight

Nintendo doesn't want people to get the impression that the Switch is a second Wii U. The second screen gimmick failed hard and they don't want people to think that Switch is a second screen device. Same thing is the reason why the dock blocks the Switch's screen. (Of course, Nintendo being Nintendo, they got the idea to release an online app for smartphones, making Switch essentially kind of a device with a second screen again -- Nintendo's never very good at executing a concept coherently lol).

Also, Switch doesn't connect to the TV when playing in handheld mode to begin with. The entire way the dock works would need to be redesigned for that to be possible.

Z3M0G

How do you feel about this and how do you feel about it not mentioned it at all on the eShop?

1. AMAZING game. My GOTY that year. Switch users are very lucky to have the option to play it at all.

2. Nothing wrong with handheld-only switch games. This game would NOT work in console mode. It requires touch to play, and you can't change that.

3. Ok sure... maybe mention it in the store listing... but at least you can't end up being in a situation where it is impossible to play. If anything, Nintendo should have a standard to label Handheld-Only games so that it opens up the platform for even more of them to come!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'd be interested to hear if the devs explored docked mode with cursor plus gyro / joy cons for movements.

Slash motions are familiar enough it could work for this type of game.

(Also this makes me think the Infinity Blade series could work on Switch)

Z3M0G

I'd be interested to hear if the devs explored docked mode with cursor plus gyro / joy cons for movements.

If you've played the game, you would know this would simply not be possible... or it would be a VERY gimped experience. Battles can be INTENSE at times.

If you've played the game, you would know this would simply not be possible... or it would be a VERY gimped experience. Battles can be INTENSE at times.

You don't think it would work with pointer controls? Granted, it wouldn't be ideal but I think it would be possible. It's been a while since I played the Vita version though and I didn't get too far in to it so maybe I'm missing/forgetting some finer points. Do you ever need to swipe with more than one finger?

Mikke

So I bought this game because I loved Guacamelee and somehow missed this one.
It's fucking awesome so far, the artstyle is amazing. It actually uses both the left joycon and the touch screen.

That being said, I'm very early on and this already would not work with gyro controls. You need to make precise swipes very quickly. As this game will get more difficult (and I hope it does, it's pretty easy so far) I can only imagine this being even more of a problem.

Not discounting your idea, it worked for World of Goo, it just would not work for this game.

Uh, why? If a game is too demanding to be played in handheld mode's reduced specs, but works in docked
mode, then I rather have a TV-only game than no game at all.

I play my switch handheld 99% of the time. The day they start releasing docked only games is the day I sell it off and go back to a decade of not buying Nintendo stuff.

Both extreme ends of this argument are both hilariously sad.

I mean, the ability to play both ways is the entire selling point of the system. If I wanted to play games only in the dock, I would rather Nintendo just made a much more powerful traditional console. They made their bed with the hybrid, they need to lay in it by keeping compatibility in both modes as much as possible.

farisr

I wonder if a Super Mario Maker port does happen, will the full game be handheld only mode, or will it be a combination. Creating/editing only possible in handheld while playing through levels can still be done in docked or handheld mode.

I don't mind it at all, because not all games are made for me.

On that note, any game that's handheld only is a hard pass from me.

phanphare

Banned
sounds good to me, this game looked pretty interesting last I saw it

also makes sense that it's handheld only as it's a touch based game like voez

it should definitely be noted on the eshop though

what kind of rationale is this? If you don't want it don't buy it. If you want to play it then just undock the Switch. It's not going to kill you.

Soooo....where can we discuss the actual quality and content of the game?

Is there an OT we can resurrect somewhere? New thread?

Z3M0G

You don't think it would work with pointer controls? Granted, it wouldn't be ideal but I think it would be possible. It's been a while since I played the Vita version though and I didn't get too far in to it so maybe I'm missing/forgetting some finer points. Do you ever need to swipe with more than one finger?

Not one finger, but fast, rapid, and very precise swipes between objects that would "block" your strike.

They could increase the damage so you don't need to swipe so much perhaps (very fast "waggling" may work OK with IR pointer actually), but I can see it being very frustrating when you need to swipe that narrow spot between two large "blockers" that cancel and stun your attack if you happen to hit them.

Not one finger, but fast, rapid, and very precise swipes between objects that would "block" your strike.

They could increase the damage so you don't need to swipe so much perhaps (very fast "waggling" may work OK with IR pointer actually), but I can see it being very frustrating when you need to swipe that narrow spot between two large "blockers" that cancel and stun your attack if you happen to hit them.

I guess it would depend on how accurate the Switch joycon is. Again though, I'll defer to you on this since I haven't played it as much and it's been a long while since I played what I did.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Played through it on iOS.

With minor adjustments it could be doable, I'm not opposing touch controls for Switch, I'm simply curious if other locomotion options were explored.

Who knew that opinions could be wrong? This is a wrong opinion. You literally don't want certain games coming out an a system because you don't want to play them in the way they need to be played. Instead of, you know, just not buying the damn game and going on with your day.

Dremorak

Banned
I don't understand why it can't just mirror the screen in handheld mode

Seems like a huge oversight

giphy.gif

They need better messaging about it but I'm completely cool with handheld only games, It opens the system up to more diverse playstylesl

Yup. Just let people know before hand and they'll make their own choice. I use my switch 90% of the time in handheld mode as it is so for me it's not an issue.

Needs more of them tbh.

The touch screen has been criminally underused.

Nitendo themselves don't even use on thier own games, even in the menu!

Why shouldn't it get released? You're not going to play it either way so why would you want to limit the options of people who don't care?

Did you care when 1 2 Switch was released and didn't support handheld mode?

ckaneo

If a game has a legitimate reason to be docked only then why would people have a problem with it.

The idea that since I cant play a game so nobody can sounds childish.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It's fine and we will see more and more games like this going forward.

Top Bottom