• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics finally set to release in NA/EU beginning November 28

Yes Boss!

So I've bought and played Sonic, and I'm itching for another one.

Super Hang-On or Space Harrier? I've never played either before.

Although Space Harrier might be the more recommended and safer choice, I find myself gravitating toward Super Hang-On; I just prefer its "art style" a lot more than Space Harrier. I love the look of the bikes and their colors, and I've always liked racing games... If I could only afford one of the two, would it be unwise to not choose Space Harrier, considering I've never played it?

I'm thinking Galaxy Force II (which I never played either) might cover the "space shooter" slot for me instead.

I've had them all since the japanese releases and got them again here in the US. Super Hang-On is easily my most played and favorite. Space Harrier for the wow factor, though. My favorites of the genesis ports is Shinobi.

I'm definitely buying Ecco and Shinobi (because I love them), but I'm also really tempted to buy Hang-On, Harrier, and Galaxy Force... I just don't have all that money :(

AmyS

OMG AFTERBURNER II IN JAPAN THIS WEEK!

I thought they only just started the second batch!?

God I really hope the English versions of these sell well. They don't have many eShop reviews so far if that's any kind of indication...

Holy shit, it's true.

3D After Burner II Fires Up For Nintendo 3DS eShop In Japan

Sega recently released 3D Space Harrier and 3D Super Hang-On in North America and Europe, as part of their first set of 3D Classics, but it looks like they won’t be cooling their jets anytime soon—3D After Burner II is headed to the Nintendo 3DS eShop in Japan.

After Burner II was originally released in 1987 as a jet cockpit sit-down cabinet arcade title, where you played as a F-14 Tomcat fighter jet, and gunned down enemies while dodging incoming enemy fire.

As a way to emulate the original arcade game and its cabinet that moved according to the motion of the jet, 3D After Burner II features a “Moving Cabinet Mode,” which shows a similar effect that moves according to your maneuvers.

Additionally, Sega will be implementing a “Special Mode,” that features a “lock-on shooting” system, which introduces a different way to test your skills in dogfights against enemies. 3D After Burner II will cost 800 yen on the Nintendo 3DS eShop.

3D After Burner II will be coming out on December 18, for Nintendo 3DS in Japan.

00310.jpg

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/10/3d-burner-ii-fires-nintendo-3ds-eshop-japan/

Cannot wait!
All you so-called SEGA fans better fucking well buy all the games of the 1st set so that we have a chance to get the 2nd!

And oh yeah baby 3D Galaxy Force II will be mine tomorrow!

ghibli99

Purchased Space Harrier and Super Hang-On and have been enjoying them quite a bit. Space Harrier has always been one of my favorite arcade games, and M2 did a great job on this. I think some of the sounds aren't accurate, but that could be my memory. Super Hang-On is surprisingly good and challenging. I had the Genesis version, but this arcade port is so much better. Gotta love that scaling.

Not sure what Sega was thinking using the Genesis version of Altered Beast. What a waste... not that the arcade version was *that* much better, but the graphics were much nicer.

Definitely buying Galaxy Force II. Might have to quadruple-dip on Shinobi III, and yeah, more arcade ports are needed! After Burner II will be great if it makes it here. Out Run, Power Drift, etc. They all need to happen!

So hyped for 3D Galaxy Force II tomorrow!

God I really hope the English versions of these sell well. They don't have many eShop reviews so far if that's any kind of indication...

Well, you need to play games for at least an hour to be able to review them on the eShop, so it's understandable that it might take some people a while to hit that mark with fairly short, quick burst stuff like Super Hang-On and Space Harrier.

Well, you need to play games for at least an hour to be able to review them on the eShop, so it's understandable that it might take some people a while to hit that mark with fairly short, quick burst stuff like Super Hang-On and Space Harrier.

Oh yeah, good point!
I've hammered both and put many hours in... but I guess everybody won't be quite the same :)

It's kinda funny how basically every single game in the store is rated 5 stars, it's such a useless scale.

Ahhhh Galaxy Force soon, never played it I'm nervous!

Camjo-Z

3D Space Harrier is pretty much all I could want from a port. I just wish there was an option to turn the sound effects down, the constant "PSHEWPSHEWPSHEW" from the gun drowns out the amazing music most of the time.

Also, can anyone recommend Galaxy Force II? It's the only game out of this 3D Classics series I've never tried, and I'm wondering if it's a hidden gem or an Altered Beast.

it's better than fucking twin bee

let's not get too hasty now

daydream

Banned
Now downloading Galaxy Force II (never played it) and Ecco (played the first area about 1000000 times, never got much further).

Sonic is beautiful. I must have owned it a good 20 times on various platforms, and played it at least once a year since 91. This is easily my favourite version yet - setting it to pop-out and it looks good enough to touch.

I want to know what the 3D is like in Galaxy Force 2. Is it super-strong or something? The eShop screenshots I get double vision when looking at them (the angles which don't are 2D).

AmyS

For those of you not knowing what to expect from Galaxy Force II, in general.

Galaxy Force / Galaxy Force II U.S. arcade fliers

16188201.jpg

16188202.jpg

Some actual arcade machine footage as well as MAME, Saturn, PlayStation2, MegaDrive / Genesis and FM-Towns.

arcade (Super Deluxe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRbDQnPpc-8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIgFmR2i-_0

Arcade / MAME longplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtqw44ixOgQ

PlayStation2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDUuO-FRJow
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo8ALxL_Bl4

Sega Saturn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJevJOSXKfM

great video vid recalling how incredible the game was. Arcade and Saturn
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drvl_Ltw6CU

rare FM-Towns computer / Marty console version
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ed8_4xLbf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_hcxyA27II

Does anyone remember the review GameFan magazine did on FM-Towns Galaxy Force II in one of their very early issues? It was right next to their review of FM-Towns Tatsujin Oh aka Truxton II.

Mega Drive / Genesis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qq0vLqeioCs

So what about the first arcade Galaxy Force without the II ?
Lots of Japanese Galaxy Force arcade material

Seems like arcade Galaxy Force was a rare version like arcade After Burner, which was like a prototype without throttle control, afterburners, somewhat different stage order and slightly different music arrangement.

That's why After Burner II is like 'finished' game.

Not sure what the differences were between Galaxy Force I / II were (never seen a Galaxy Force I machine) but it was probably along the same lines as After Burner / After Burner II.

Empty

i'm playing galaxy force 2. it sure looks good. amazing sprite scaling. did starfox 64 steal its fire level from here.

i'm not sure what i'm doing though. how are you supposed to use the touch screen throttle and steer with the pad and shoot? also how do you manage the energy bar?

stuminus3

Banned
I want to know what the 3D is like in Galaxy Force 2. Is it super-strong or something? The eShop screenshots I get double vision when looking at them (the angles which don't are 2D).
Yes, the 3D effect is VERY strong. Might be that the 'super scalar' effect is basically taking the same sprite and pasting it over itself over and over again to give the impression of depth that's giving you the double vision effect, but in motion - at 60fps smooth - it's incredible. Maybe one of the best examples of what 3D can do for a game.

VariantX

Just bought Galaxy Force 2. Looks fucking amazeballs in 3D. I think i might go and buy the original sonic now just to see the 3D effect in that game too!

daydream

Banned
No idea what I'm doing, but Galaxy Force II looks amazing. Again, lots of stuff to tweak in the options menu.

Ecco is, well, Ecco. Has all the options that the other Genesis games have + Super Dolphin mode. As usual, I tried out the cheat that lets you access the sound test (aka Super Cheat Menu) and, once again, it works perfectly.

AmyS

3D Galaxy Force II is finally for sale on eShop for me here in the United States, central time.

downloading now

AmyS

Never played shinobi III but loved the original shinobi in the arcades. Would i like shinobi III?

As already mentioned, Shinobi III is more like Revenge of Shinobi--In fact it's a direct sequel.

The Revenge of Shinobi on Genesis is called The Super Shinobi on Mega Drive in Japan.
Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master on Genesis is The Super Shinobi II on the Japanese Mega Drive.

http://www.segagagadomain.com/megadrive3/thesupshinobi2.htm

After the announcement of this 3D series I was really hyped! I wanted 3D Space Harrier so much! That game was awesome in Shenmue 2. So 10 minutes ago I entered the eShop and then I bought it: 3D Sonic the Hedgeog. I don't know why, seriously. But hey, I'm going to play this all night!

aw fuck not enough blocks to download galaxy force ii
been a while coming so i guess i'll go purchase a bigger SD card and then download it

debating whether i should purchase after burner ii on the jp shop now or wait for it to come to the us, hmmmm

Slermy

it's better than fucking twin bee

YOU TAKE THAT BACK. The Twin Bee series is awesome!

3D Space Harrier is pretty much all I could want from a port. I just wish there was an option to turn the sound effects down, the constant "PSHEWPSHEWPSHEW" from the gun drowns out the amazing music most of the time.

Also, can anyone recommend Galaxy Force II? It's the only game out of this 3D Classics series I've never tried, and I'm wondering if it's a hidden gem or an Altered Beast.

let's not get too hasty now

It's a hidden gem, definitely.

cacildo

1 - should i buy galaxy force? i wasnt thinking about it, but these videos are great

2 - do i need to re-sync club nintendo account after the update?

Neff

It's a testament to how absurdly god tier amazing GFII looked in 1988 considering how good it still looks in 2013. Amazing conversion by M2.

Lettuce

DAMN!!!!!....just downloaded 3D Space Harrier!!!!!, i didnt know these were actually the Arcade Versions as it has the MegaDrive/Genesis Logo on the game art in the eShop!?. You can have the hydraulic cab version as well this is awesome!!! Well done M2 but where is my OutRun?.....please dont do another 32X on us

So what other games can we expect in the future?

AmyS

holyshit ...3D Galaxy Force II is visually a-mazing.

It appears to run @ 60fps like the 1988 arcade version, even in 3D, unlike the 1998 Sega AGES Saturn port for Japan which ran @ 30fps and even then still had very noticeable framerate dips and pixelation. I was so disappointed when I got the Saturn import. That's why I went back to playing GFII in emus like Final Burn and MAME for the 60fps.

The 3D effect is awesome, like with 3D Space Harrier and 3D Super Hang-On.

This is even more impressive given the fact that arcade Galaxy Force II ran on SEGA's most potent Super-Scalar Technology that used THREE MC68000 CPUs @ 12.5 MHz each and backed up by Sega's best custom graphics/video chips of the late 1980s. Combined, they handled all of that awesome scaling & rotation.

BTW: it would be a real insult to SEGA
to call it 'MODE 7', --that was a Nintendo 'thing' for SFC / SNES that came (1990-'91) well after SEGA's Super-Scalar boards, the last one being in 1988.
SEGA was doing Super-Scalar Technology probably well before Nintendo even knew what scaling & rotation were. Hey I love Nintendo too, lets just give SEGA their due respect.

Because SEGA's Y Board hardware did things, especially rotation, differently than Saturn / Titan ST-V who's VDP1 / VDP2 was more of an evolution of the 1990 System 32 board rather than like any of Sega's actual Super-Scalar boards from the 80s.
Saturn was actually not well-suited for either Power Drift or Galaxy Force II. The 1998 Saturn ports done by Appaloosa Interactive were half the framerate of the 1988 arcade versions for starters, nevermind the dips below that and the overally pixelated graphics in the GFII port.

So never having played Sega Ages 2500 Vol. 30: Galaxy Force II also by M2 released in 2007 for PlayStation 2 in Japan -- I've only seen YouTube videos, I can say 3D Galaxy Force II on 3DS is a most welcome release and a real treat.
This is the first time western gamers get to play an official, legal home version that is on par with the original 1988 Super-Scalar coin-op game.

Now back to playing :)

Just might break my rules of buying games I already have on cartridge, for Ecco.

Does anyone know if it's going to be as ludicrously unfairly difficult as the genesis version?

Top Bottom