• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics finally set to release in NA/EU beginning November 28

clem84

Gold Member
The 3 classic Sega games that would benefit the most from 3D are Space Harrier, Out Run and Afterburner. Hopefully the last 2 will come out at some point.

Oh yeah and Hang on too.

Vuffster

It is confirmed that Super Hang-On only includes arcade mode, and not original mode? I was really excited for it, but if original mode isn't there, that makes it a lot less interesting for me...

The 3 classic Sega games that would benefit the most from 3D are Space Harrier, Out Run and Afterburner. Hopefully the last 2 will come out at some point.

It's not the first-time Space Harrier has had a 3-D release on a console IRL.. There was a 3-D version on the Sega Master System with those weird glasses, but obviously it's not as good as a 3DS version.

Fularu

Banned

Oh yeah and Hang on too.
Sega lost the Ferrari license so Out Run isn't happening (for now)

w00zey

Did anyone really like Ecco the dolphin? Don't get me wrong I had it, I played it (though i had barely an idea what the hellw as going on) and I kept playing it. I think back then everyone loved it because you were a dolphin.

zroid

Banned
Did anyone really like Ecco the dolphin? Don't get me wrong I had it, I played it (though i had barely an idea what the hellw as going on) and I kept playing it. I think back then everyone loved it because you were a dolphin.

I never owned it, but played it on various occasions. I had fun with it... I think...

You're probably right about the dolphin thing. It just felt very unique at the time, although it was arguably not that great a game.
Kinda like Nights.

Raitaro

Well, there is a perfecly fine Ferrari-less version of Outrun available already that they could use. It was featured in Shenmue and then released again on Yu Suzuki Gameworks vol. 1 on Dreamcast. In other words, there is no real reason for not doing Outrun as well, apart from sheer unwillingness on Sega's part.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Is there anything different from the arcade version for Space Harrier? Does it have the final boss from the Master System and X68000 versions?

Yes, they went the extra step to add Haya-Oh. It also has a widescreen view (though I think the bounding box of movement would be the same).

But Sega also created an alternate set of sprites for the car for use in the assorted Dreamcast releases, back before they re-licensed the brand for OutRun 2. So if they wanted to, they could probably do it.

EDIT: BEATEN

AmyS

Getting Super Hang-On, Galaxy Force II, Space Harrier and Shinobi III.

About damn time.

For future releases I'd love arcade versions of After Burner II and Thunder Blade. They'd be so awesome in 3D.

Fularu

Banned
Yes, they went the extra step to add Haya-Oh. It also has a widescreen view (though I think the bounding box of movement would be the same).

But Sega also created an alternate set of sprites for the car for use in the assorted Dreamcast releases, back before they re-licensed the brand for OutRun 2. So if they wanted to, they could probably do it.

EDIT: BEATEN
I'm prety sure the DC versions aren't emulated. M2 obviously has a 3DS system16 emulator working and somehow knowing sega, they lost both the source code and the sprites of the DC versions.

Also I want Out-Run, that means with the F40 in it!

Perfect JPG mock-up pics for 3DS viewing:

iZlqpDxw06ez.jpg
imqJGi8CC6TcE.jpg

if5Ha9ojcsXOR.jpg
ibvRjW0tje03Kh.jpg

imD3ilZpXMO1E.jpg
ibqb4gRzFY89MT.jpg

itdyrbOiL1lnH.jpg
i8tz4DQiaJPQl.jpg

iCMt4xUmpSqvl.jpg
ibmAxVR2Xnu6Rw.jpg

ib1eonwQmT9aY8.jpg
iA7WEQgfW5l6K.jpg
irivAt8W65oQw.jpg

ic7IeP4DSrcHJ.jpg
ibztz0ehgUalAY.jpg

ip26KdIoq7bh9.jpg

ibl2FbaNvbnuRT.jpg
ib0XBH0BajCyLW.jpg

Note: 3D Blast is the Saturn version! Would be lovely pixel-perfect on 3DS! *drools*

About time.

Galaxy Force II is essential: I don't think it's ever come to the West (Sega Ages for the Saturn doesn't have it, I think). But Ecco, Shinobi III, and Super Hang-On are equally important. I really wish SEGA wouldn't release as big end-of-year packs—not the best way to market one's 3D Classic titles—but it'll do. This is so much more interesting than Urban Champion in 3D.

Danneee

At fucking last. Will buy most of them, sonic and shinobi will sting a little as I just the other day bought the PSP Mega Drive collection.

andymcc

Banned
About time.

Galaxy Force II is essential: I don't think it's ever come to the West (Sega Ages for the Saturn doesn't have it, I think). But Ecco, Shinobi III, and Super Hang-On are equally important. I really wish SEGA wouldn't release as big end-of-year packs—not the best way to market one's 3D Classic titles—but it'll do. This is so much more interesting than Urban Champion in 3D.

i'm really surprised we're not just getting some budget-priced rom dump with sub-par emulation. that's how SoA and SoE tends to treat their retro comps.

Bii

Perfect. I havent used my $30 promo credit from Fire Emblem/SMTIV, so I'll probably end up with all of them.

baphomet

Tempting, but will wait to see if it is released as a retail compilation. Not buying anything, no matter how much I want it, on Nintendo's shitty, games tied to hardware system.

Rich!

Do you have a source on this?

anouma comic con talks. They were experimenting with remaking ALTTP, and it turned into a new game, hence why the map is almost all the same.

Not strictly a 3D Classic, but still. It would have been nigh on impossible to achieve it with sprites without a massive overhaul imo.

PsychoNotes

Neo Member

Um, yes? Of course some people really did like it. Novelty of control over an unusual character type wouldn't have gotten the game very far if its design didn't strike a chord with a certain audience. I think Ecco 1 and 2 are both brilliant games, and I still count them among my absolute favorites in the Genesis library, but it's certainly true that they're not as universally appealing as Sonic or Streets of Rage.

It'd be great if this release gains the series some new fans, though I've long since given up hope on Sega ever returning to it.

Dambrosi

Banned
hCCC2B603

Ever since I saw the Galaxy Force II arcade when I was a kid, I always dreamed of seeing it in 3D... That space travelling and entering small planets while zooming... omg.

Also, these 3D classics are gonna be interesting to see on 2DS... :p
A lot of old Sega arcade games would be interesting to see on 3DS. Power Drift, Arabian Fight, Golden Axe 3...Virtua Fighter...2...*drools*

As for me, I'm definitely getting me some Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II action. Also, am I reading it wrong, or is the list formatting insinuating that these titles come in pairs? Surely not.

OnPoint

There is so much more to Ecco the Dolphin than the first few stages tell you. Sticking with it and pushing past the game's insane difficulty resulted in one of the most rewarding and unique experiences of my gaming life.

andymcc

Banned
I wish Sega would do a 3D classics version of the Fantasy Zone 2 remake from the PS2 Sega Ages comp. That would be gorgeous to behold.

AmyS

I wish Sega would do a 3D classics version of the Fantasy Zone 2 remake from the PS2 Sega Ages comp. That would be gorgeous to behold.

Yes, this.

Also, Sega's remake of Choplifter would be amazing in 3D. Not the SMS port but the '85 arcade version since it had the most detailed graphics and best scrolling.

Top Bottom